Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th October 2006, 00:42   #61
BHPian

I think i read something about it at http://www.dancewithshadows.com/auto...agon-india.asp.

And the specifications looks something like this:
SUZUKI MR WAGON SPECIFICATIONS

price: Rs 3-4 lakh
power: 64 bhp@6400 rpm
torque: 8.56 kgm@3500 rpm
length: 3401 mm
width: 1575 mm
height: 1669 mm
wheelbase: 2334 mm
fuel tank: 30 litres
engine: 1061 cc, 4 cyliners inline
installation: front, reverse, FWD
specific output: 60.32 bhp/litre
bore/stroke: 68.5/72 mm
gearbox type: 5 speed manual
front suspension: McPherson strut
rear suspension: three link rigid type
front brakes: ventillated discs
rear brakes: drums
tyre: 145/70 R13
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 10:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
SUZUKI MR WAGON SPECIFICATIONS

power: 64 bhp@6400 rpm
torque: 8.56 kgm@3500 rpm
length: 3401 mm
width: 1575 mm
height: 1669 mm
wheelbase: 2334 mm
fuel tank: 30 litres
engine: 1061 cc, 4 cyliners inline
installation: front, reverse, FWD
specific output: 60.32 bhp/litre
bore/stroke: 68.5/72 mm
gearbox type: 5 speed manual
front suspension: McPherson strut
rear suspension: three link rigid type
front brakes: ventillated discs
rear brakes: drums
tyre: 145/70 R13

These are exactly the current WagonR's specifications.

Last edited by DCEite : 20th October 2006 at 10:11.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 10:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
For some strange reason, this pleases me a lot. Good to see Maruti not pricing it above the WagonR, as I was expecting it to and the base price kept around Rs 3,00,000. Heck, on seeing my mom's reaction yesterday when she saw the pics, we might even seriously consider buying it next year.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 10:55   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Heck, on seeing my mom's reaction yesterday when she saw the pics, we might even seriously consider buying it next year.
Thats because MR Wagon it is based on "Mom's personal Wagon concept"
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 12:28   #65
BHPian

Angry

The new zen is just rebodied wagon r ie.it is just a wagon r with a different metal body but havin the same chasis.Worldwide this common phenomenon and especially for clever manufacturers like maruti.Actually buisness wise the new zen wasnt raking up the volumes to justify production on seperate assembly line.Basically the alto and the wagon r have the same platform underneath(also the same engine a 800cc engine on the alto and the one with another cylinder the 1061 c in the wagon r and hence can be manufactured on the same assembly line.Now by introducing the the new zen a.k.a the previous gen mr-wagon maruti does not require to operate special assembly line for the zen nor does it require to build its rev happy engine(it wiil have the same engine as the wagon r).Morever since this is the previous gen mr-wagon r its tooling can be brought cheaply from where it has been phased out like japan .The decision spells sound economic sense for maruti but spells disaster for true previous-gen zen owners like me who would have liked a better replacement for the Zen.In my opinion the sx4 if it were to be introduced in India deserved the Zen brand name. Yes I do feel maruti has introduced this is an alternative to the wagon r so that the users do not migrate to the santro because of the wagonr's breadbox on wheels look and moreover the wagon r had become to common sight on the roads.As car although it is not bad i quite like the interiors but only it does not deserve the zen name with that engine i would have liked a turbocharged version of the previous zen's engine instead of this one.It may come and cannablise the sales of the santro and even the upcoming chevy spark but it would never be the enthusiast's favourite car like the previous mark1 zen.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 19:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Heres a pic I clicked today of the rear seat. With the drivers seat pushed back, I doubt if it will be comfortable for taller people.

I am sorry for the quality of the picture as I dont carry a very good phone, and the light was fading fast. Good quality upholstery though. Ohh..and it also comes with ERVMs on both sides.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 19:57   #67
BHPian

i have seen the pics of the new zen or the wagon MR ,,
its not at all impressive though it may be more practical than the present model but nowhere near as cute...
superboy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 22:59   #68
BHPian

new zen looks decent but it will eat into the WagonR market i feel.

btw, can we expect the Swift Sport with 125bhp engine in India soon!!!

thats some seriously hot hatch alright ;-)
markiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 11:49   #69
BHPian

have been two zens with many stripes all the the body ( dont know what level of disguise they provide- ) doing test rounds at arai over the last week .

they can be seen in and around M.I.D.C Bhosari.

also dealers are saying that deliveries should start by dec end or first week of jan( obviously un-confirmed)
abhijit 2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 12:07   #70
BHPian

Default not this year

I am just wondering if launching a car at year end is justified ?
Folks lose out on depreciation and just for 2 months buyers will have a year old car which affects re-sale value.

So my take is that all this will come out next year most probably after march 31st, it will help everyone.... including Maruti.. they too can account for deffered taxation.... or something like that.
ownerofazkaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 15:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

The specs, pricing and even the tall boy looks seem to be more or less similar to the Wagon R. How is Maruti going to distinguish between the Wagon R and Zen now? This will only confuse the buyers as well as the salespersons. It will be interesting to see a Maruti dealer answer the question " tell me, why should I buy the new Zen over the Wagon R?" or vice versa, wouldn't it?
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 16:25   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

I was also wondering on the same lines. Two very similar products in the portfolio can be tough for the seller and confusing for the buyer. Instead of eating into the competition's share, they would end up encroaching on each other's space.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 16:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
The specs, pricing and even the tall boy looks seem to be more or less similar to the Wagon R. How is Maruti going to distinguish between the Wagon R and Zen now? This will only confuse the buyers as well as the salespersons. It will be interesting to see a Maruti dealer answer the question " tell me, why should I buy the new Zen over the Wagon R?" or vice versa, wouldn't it?
a valid point. maybe the wagonr would be phased out if the mrwagon catches on. it would be a personal choice for a customer. also the mrwagon most probably comes with the 1.0 litre engine.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 16:42   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I was also wondering on the same lines. Two very similar products in the portfolio can be tough for the seller and confusing for the buyer. Instead of eating into the competition's share, they would end up encroaching on each other's space.
For the answer to this, one needs to only visit Bimal auto showroom in Bangalore (though I suspect this would be the case in most other cities as well).

you go in looking for a swift/esteem and one sales rep (whose mandate is to push the swift) will come upto you and extoll the virtues of the swift. the moment you tell him that you are also considering the esteem, he will say "Bur Saar, the esteem is an outdated car, flimsy body, poor AC, bad suspension, et al". he will make it appear as if the esteem is the worst thing ever to happen to the Indian motoring scene.

Then you appear contemplative for a bit and walk over to the esteem, only to be greeted by a sales rep, whose mandate it appears is to push the esteem to the cost of all else.

tell him about your interest in the swift, and he will tell you in a conspiratorial tone "Saar, to tell you the truth, the swift is a flawed product. lots of complaints, bad FE, body rattles and there is a "design defect" in the car Take my advise and stay away from it. go in for the esteem, it is a "luxury" car and is a tried and tested product, designed especially for Indian conditions (guess no one told him about the suzuki lineage)"

Heaven help you if you happen to also mention that with the discounts on offer you may even consider the Baleno LXi- they will make you feel like a neanderthal who wants to drive cars from teh same era. Of course, if teh "baleno sales rep" happens to know of your interest in "his" car, it will be a different story altogether and the cycle continues......

so I guess we may see something similar with the Wagon R and the new Zen.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 9th November 2006 at 16:43.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 17:01   #75
Senior - BHPian

i dont think the car showroom is the place to decide on what car to buy. the sales people in these places hardly have any first hand knowledge of the cars they sell. it is best to make the decision at home after comparing various cars & models & talking to other car owners.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote