Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2013, 21:25   #271
BHPian
 
Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 92 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Seems like good pricing by VW if reports are to be believed.
It would have been better if they had managed the dealers better with the car because we have seen a person who owns the car even before the launch.Has the authenticity of the car in the picture been proved?I have a feeling the guy just put a GT badge on his Polo TDI and proclaimed it as a 1.6

Also,it's funny how people are moaning the lack of DSG gearbox in the GT TDI because IIRC there were many complaints regarding the GT TSI having the DSG transmission.
Marauder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 21:40   #272
Newbie
 
gurramvimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

This Sounds great..

I was waiting for this car to launch in India.I hope diesel has got more power in the engine.

How much is he charging for the car?
gurramvimal is offline  
Old 12th September 2013, 11:41   #273
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 87
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Exciting times these.

On one end manufacturers are holding onto new releases and on the other VW is feasting us on hot hatches one after the other. But then VW is just plonking the Vento engine onto Polo Highline or are there any other noticeable changes as well.

Guys help me with this dilemma, at some point of time i plan to pick up a VW Polo GT edition, which one should i go for GT TSI or GT TDI, does the decision still depend on the mileage one clocks / subsidised diesel ?
somitra1981 is online now  
Old 12th September 2013, 12:33   #274
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
Exciting times these.
Guys help me with this dilemma, at some point of time i plan to pick up a VW Polo GT edition, which one should i go for GT TSI or GT TDI, does the decision still depend on the mileage one clocks / subsidised diesel ?
I'm in the same dilemma too, its a trade off between convenience (DSG) and practicality. GT TSI will be faster yes, but if its pre -dominantly a city ride, it won't make a difference. The GT TSI returns about 10kmpl on an average, we can expect the 1.6 TDI to return more in similar traffic conditions. However, whichever you chose, it will put a smile on your face everytime you get behind the wheel.
shashank.nk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 12:36   #275
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 284
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post

But then VW is just plonking the Vento engine onto Polo Highline or are there any other noticeable changes as well.

Guys help me with this dilemma, at some point of time i plan to pick up a VW Polo GT edition, which one should i go for GT TSI or GT TDI, does the decision still depend on the mileage one clocks / subsidised diesel ?
Only changes between normal Polo TDI and GT TDI are-
1. Different engine
2. Different Seat cover and sporty pedal covers
3. GT styling

If you can afford running expenses of Petrol, go for TSI. You can expect FE of 11 to 13, which is not bad. Plus you get DSG and ESP in TSI. FTD factor of TSI is better than TDI. If your daily running is less than 50KM, FE advantage of TDI may not be that great.
radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 13:19   #276
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 87
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I'm in the same dilemma too, its a trade off between convenience (DSG) and practicality. GT TSI will be faster yes, but if its pre -dominantly a city ride, it won't make a difference. The GT TSI returns about 10kmpl on an average, we can expect the 1.6 TDI to return more in similar traffic conditions. However, whichever you chose, it will put a smile on your face everytime you get behind the wheel.
Auto Box is definitely a boon in Bangalore traffic, but i've read mixed reviews of the DSG thing (especially the unreliability part and cost involved). Also do you think the GT TDI would come equipped with the DSG as well, i think it'll further bump up the price.

If i end up buying this GT thing(especially TDI), i would become a laughing stock amongst friends and family for buying a hatch at a million rupees. But kicking up dust on sedan owner's face(friends and family included) would leave a wide grin on my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Only changes between normal Polo TDI and GT TDI are-
1. Different engine
2. Different Seat cover and sporty pedal covers
3. GT styling

If you can afford running expenses of Petrol, go for TSI. You can expect FE of 11 to 13, which is not bad. Plus you get DSG and ESP in TSI. FTD factor of TSI is better than TDI. If your daily running is less than 50KM, FE advantage of TDI may not be that great.
Boils down to the usage ultimately.

Well my usage till now has been as below(moved from Pune to Bangalore)

- 50+ Kms per working day in Bangalore
- Weekend trips if any
- Trip back home to North once a year
- Two to three trips to Goa or a similar distance

I've not driven a Vento, so what's the turbo kick like in the TDI - Outright or Gradual. As i am already on a i20 Crdi so i am used to the annoying turbo lag in city traffic.
somitra1981 is online now  
Old 12th September 2013, 14:08   #277
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
Auto Box is definitely a boon in Bangalore traffic, but i've read mixed reviews of the DSG thing (especially the unreliability part and cost involved). Also do you think the GT TDI would come equipped with the DSG as well, i think it'll further bump up the price.

If i end up buying this GT thing(especially TDI), i would become a laughing stock amongst friends and family for buying a hatch at a million rupees. But kicking up dust on sedan owner's face(friends and family included) would leave a wide grin on my face
The DSG is brilliant, I can say this from personal experience. I've driven my friends GT TSI extensively within the city and the convenience is just what you need for the maddening traffic. However, its reliability is still unknown though various media reports indicate VW has worked on the box to make it more reliable.

Considering you're usage however, the GT TDI makes more sense as a petrol will be quite expensive to run.
shashank.nk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 14:45   #278
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 284
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
Well my usage till now has been as below(moved from Pune to Bangalore)

- 50+ Kms per working day in Bangalore
- Weekend trips if any
- Trip back home to North once a year
- Two to three trips to Goa or a similar distance

I've not driven a Vento, so what's the turbo kick like in the TDI - Outright or Gradual. As i am already on a i20 Crdi so i am used to the annoying turbo lag in city traffic.
I did a short TD. My observation is, turbo is gradual. There is not much lag. I think it is fine for city driving.

If you have no separate car for your weekend trip/outstation trips, I think you should go for GT TDI.

OT: Today I saw Cross Polo on road. Just could not understand why someone should buy this car.
radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 14:50   #279
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 325
Thanked: 85 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
If your daily running is less than 50KM, FE advantage of TDI may not be that great.
Since the prices are similar, the daily running general norm of 50 km does not hold. You would be spending at least 30k extra per year at present rates even at 30 km/day.

If 30k/year is the price of convenience, I wouldnt mind, given our traffic choked roads. However the future resale values will skew this further and the final TCO variation will be significantly higher.
JishD is offline  
Old 12th September 2013, 15:11   #280
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 284
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Since the prices are similar, the daily running general norm of 50 km does not hold. You would be spending at least 30k extra per year at present rates even at 30 km/day.

If 30k/year is the price of convenience, I wouldnt mind, given our traffic choked roads. However the future resale values will skew this further and the final TCO variation will be significantly higher.
My assumption was for what you get in TSI, spending few thousand rupees more per month is worth. Or if I put it other way, by going for TDI instead of TSI, you save couple of thousands, but lose DSG, ESP and FTD factor.

But if you are doing something like 70-80 Km per day, this difference is like 4K-5K per month. That is when you have take that hard call between Pure Fun and bit-less-fun-but-better-FE.

I myself debated this for days before taking call in favor of TDI.
radek is offline  
Old 12th September 2013, 15:27   #281
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 87
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The DSG is brilliant, I can say this from personal experience. I've driven my friends GT TSI extensively within the city and the convenience is just what you need for the maddening traffic. However, its reliability is still unknown though various media reports indicate VW has worked on the box to make it more reliable.

Considering you're usage however, the GT TDI makes more sense as a petrol will be quite expensive to run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I did a short TD. My observation is, turbo is gradual. There is not much lag. I think it is fine for city driving.

If you have no separate car for your weekend trip/outstation trips, I think you should go for GT TDI.
Well, thanks guys for sharing your experiences with me on this.

It's turning out to be an interesting discussion.

So let me throw some more light on what i plan to do some time in 2014.

Get two vehicles rather than compromising on any one aspect(pretty much decided but subject to budgetary constraints and some other personal expenses which have to be sorted out)

1. SUV - For long distance touring purposes and mountains. Scorpio is the choice at the moment.

2. Hatch - City use and short trips. This is where i am confused about TSI vis a vis TDI. But then again if the budget goes for a toss Scorpio is out then i'll be forced to settle down with a diesel. Another interesting aspect to this is the Fiat Punto Abarth angle, off late i heard that they will launch it as an aspirational vehicle (CBU) so it'll be out of the list. OR some times i wonder should i just keep i20 Crdi with me and just look for a additional SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
OT: Today I saw Cross Polo on road. Just could not understand why someone should buy this car.
Agree , i too wondered what do they plan to do here, are VW trying to attract some urban SUV buying customers with this one. Sorry, they would fail miserably.
somitra1981 is online now  
Old 12th September 2013, 15:39   #282
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
2. Hatch - City use and short trips. This is where i am confused about TSI vis a vis TDI. But then again if the budget goes for a toss Scorpio is out then i'll be forced to settle down with a diesel. Another interesting aspect to this is the Fiat Punto Abarth angle, off late i heard that they will launch it as an aspirational vehicle (CBU) so it'll be out of the list. OR some times i wonder should i just keep i20 Crdi with me and just look for a additional SUV.
I see your car is only 2 years old. If so, its best to retain this since a Polo will not really be an upgrade over the i20. Retain the i20 and get a SUV. i20 is also more city-friendly than the Polo.
shashank.nk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 23:26   #283
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,939
Thanked: 1,926 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Just saw the scoop section of the Autocar show where Hormazd Sorabjee mentioned the following:

- 1.5 tdi engine will launch in May 2014.
- Will have 2 states of tune - 89bhp for the Polo & 104bhp for the Vento.
PPS is online now  
Old 13th September 2013, 01:10   #284
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 69
Thanked: 33 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

The car is launched. here's a screenshot of volkswagen india website.
it has a 1.6 TDI engine.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-screen-shot-20130913-1.08.26-am.png  

anarchy_99 is offline  
Old 13th September 2013, 06:09   #285
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 183
Thanked: 88 Times
Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

The 1.5 Tdi motor mentioned by Hormazd Sorabjee will replace the existing 1.2 Tdi motor in the entire polo line up later on .

The 1.6 Tdi we are discussing is the " hot hatch" ofering from VW .
slalom is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Prius could be coming to India EDIT: Now launched. navdeep The Indian Car Scene 123 17th January 2014 08:03
Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6! navdeep The Indian Car Scene 232 31st March 2009 11:47
Honda "Civic Hybrid" coming. EDIT : Now launched @ 21.50 lakhs amit The Indian Car Scene 149 30th September 2008 22:52
Hyundi Pa coming in Oct End.(EDIT: Now launched) redcandle The Indian Car Scene 573 7th December 2007 12:47
EDIT: NOW LAUNCHED :Coming up next : Fusion 1.4 Diesel at 6.49 lacs ex-showroom Delhi navdeep The Indian Car Scene 224 10th October 2007 19:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks