Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th September 2013, 21:00   #376
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

After test driving the GT TDI, am seriously considering one.

I drive a Figo titanium diesel, which is just 3yrs / 55000 km. I am very happpy with the car, except that it is a wee bit underpowered.

Does it really make sense to sell the figo and opt for the GT tdi? except for the increase in power I dont seem to find anything dramaticallly different in the upgrade. Am confused now..
Old 17th September 2013, 21:10   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
After test driving the GT TDI, am seriously considering one.

I drive a Figo titanium diesel, which is just 3yrs / 55000 km. I am very happpy with the car, except that it is a wee bit underpowered.

Does it really make sense to sell the figo and opt for the GT tdi? except for the increase in power I dont seem to find anything dramaticallly different in the upgrade. Am confused now..
Since you already have Figo, you may wait for the Polo 1.5 diesel version which may be lower priced than this one. Moreover, it may be refined and get more mileage too.

BTW, for some strange reason, Polo doesn't equipped with EBD in their safety package. (In the same league of Grand i10, Ecosport etc) But Figo have ABS+EBD Package. So, Safety wise, Perhaps the Figo is ahead of Polo.
Old 17th September 2013, 23:32   #378
BHPian

Wait is over. Here is my own..
I will still have to wait for a day or two for getting number. But considering some inauspicious period coming, I took formal delivery, but kept car with dealer. I will pickup it after registration formality is over.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-wp_000411a.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-wp_000409a.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-wp_000420a.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-wp_000408a.jpg  

radek is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 23:37   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
I will still have to wait for a day or two for getting number. But considering some inauspicious period coming, I took formal delivery, but kept car with dealer. I will pickup it after registration formality is over.
Many congratulations radek!! Drive safe and enjoy your GT
Old 18th September 2013, 07:58   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
If you don't use the rear seat of the Figo and is okay with the pricing of the Polo, then do consider the latter. The Polo GT has such a feel good factor associated with it.

The other option is to remap the Figo. Both Cochin and Coimbatore presents many options.
Old 18th September 2013, 08:41   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
BTW, for some strange reason, Polo doesn't equipped with EBD in their safety package. (In the same league of Grand i10, Ecosport etc) But Figo have ABS+EBD Package. So, Safety wise, Perhaps the Figo is ahead of Polo.
I doubt whether this is true. Almost all modern ABS systems makes use of EBD also (correct me If I'm wrong). Electronic Brakeforce distribution is to primarily ensure differential braking force applied to front and rear wheels (which is achieved mechanically in all vehicles , without ABS also, using Pressure regulating valves on the rear brake lines :PCRV, LCRV, LSPVs etc).

Modern vehicles with ABS have let go of this mechanical system and works using EBD algorithms and controlling the internal valves in ABS hydraulic module.

Guess Volkswagen also must be using the same and maybe the marketing gimmicks are not advertising it. Maybe someone who knows the car from under the skin can help us out here.
Old 18th September 2013, 08:53   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Guess Volkswagen also must be using the same and maybe the marketing gimmicks are not advertising it. Maybe someone who knows the car from under the skin can help us out here.
Not sure it is there or not but the link below (when the Polo was launched) says as available!

http://www.cars4indians.com/research...gen&model=Polo
Old 18th September 2013, 08:57   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Not sure it is there or not but the link below (when the Polo was launched) says as available!

I doubt the credibility of the the link. It even mentions the Polo to have ESP and Hill Hold which later came only with GT TSI. Manufacturers add and delete features and marketing gimmicks makes them more conspicuous. Best way is to get it up a ramp and check for oneself

Last edited by avinash_clt : 18th September 2013 at 08:59.
Old 18th September 2013, 09:17   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I doubt whether this is true. Almost all modern ABS systems makes use of EBD also (correct me If I'm wrong). Electronic Brakeforce distribution is to primarily ensure differential braking force applied to front and rear wheels (which is achieved mechanically in all vehicles , without ABS also, using Pressure regulating valves on the rear brake lines :PCRV, LCRV, LSPVs etc).

Modern vehicles with ABS have let go of this mechanical system and works using EBD algorithms and controlling the internal valves in ABS hydraulic module.

Although EBS+EBD works on each other, they are independent technologies. But, I don't think there is any Patent for EBD Technology as almost all cars using that term as EBS+EBD. But in another coin, perhaps they may be removing this feature as a cost cutting one. The other cars that doesn't have EBD feature are Ecosport, Grand i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Sorry, But that link is not an official announcement of VW. So, it might be wrong.
Old 18th September 2013, 16:19   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Radek. The car looks gorgeous in Red. My cousin also has a red 1.6 model from 3 years ago and I just love the look of his car.

It was your post from two weeks ago, that prompted me also to place repeated calls to the VW dealer here in Mumbai inquiring about the launch of the GT TDI. So thanks for that . Last Tuesday, I was finally able to book the GT TDI for myself. Two other people had booked the GT TDI model ahead of me; but fortunately, the VW dealer had received 3 GT TDI models - 2 white and 1 black. I was again lucky that both the bookings ahead of me were for the white GT TDI as I wanted the car either in black or red.

I am taking the delivery either this Saturday or next week as I am out of Mumbai till Friday. I'll put together my experiences with the car soon. For those interested, I hope to compare the GT TDI with the likes of Audi TT and Mazda RX8 (my two previous cars in US), Polo 1.6 (cousin's), and Santro (my drive for the last 3 months).

I realize that the comparison between TT/RX8 and GT TDI is silly. But I want to do it purely from the perspective of the fun to drive quotient. There are some areas that you just can't compare these cars such as interior quality (Soft plastic vs hard plastic), seat (sporty leather vs. flat fabric), audio (Bose vs regular 320 system), tires, suspension, top speed, etc. In addition, the raw power of TT/RX8 (200+ PS) just cannot be compared to the GT TDI (105 PS).

What can be compared though is the power delivery. I think that the higher torque of 250 N-m from the GT TDI as opposed to 235 N-m in TT and 216 N-m in RX8 will likely more than make up for the loss in power. By owning these two cars, I have experienced driving both a turbocharged Petrol car (TT) and a high revving (9000 RPM ) engine car (Mazda RX8). So I know what the trade-offs are with both types of cars. I hope to get a somewhat different driving experience with the turbocharged diesel in the GT TDI but I seriously hope that the GT TDI will provide a similar FTD experience as in the TT and RX8. So stay tuned for my report.
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 17:16   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will still have to wait for a day or two for getting number. But considering some inauspicious period coming, I took formal delivery, but kept car with dealer..
Congrats Radek! However since you have kept it at the dealer, make sure its not taken out for test-drives joy rides and all (with speedo disconnected). Otherwise the very inauspiciousness you are tending to avoid may turn out harmful for your latest fabulous acquisition.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 17:28   #387
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Radek , look forward to reading your review soon and that color goes very well with the polo!!!
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 22:29   #388
BHPian

Congratulations on the first GT TDi radek.. your going to have a blast with it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

Congrats Radek! However since you have kept it at the dealer, make sure its not taken out for test-drives joy rides and all (with speedo disconnected). Otherwise the very inauspiciousness you are tending to avoid may turn out harmful for your latest fabulous acquisition.
Cant do that in the vag cars. Immobilizer is in the speedometer cluster, so you cant start the car without it connected.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2013 at 03:49. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:31   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Congratulations on the first GT TDi radek.. your going to have a blast with it for sure.

Cant do that in the vag cars. Immobilizer is in the speedometer cluster, so you cant start the car without it connected.
But they can always change out the entire instrument cluster. Not that the VW dealer will do it or have done it in the past, I just thought I should share something that I myself did with my Audi TT a few years ago.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:55   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
But they can always change out the entire instrument cluster. Not that the VW dealer will do it or have done it in the past, I just thought I should share something that I myself did with my Audi TT a few years ago.
Cannot do that either. An instrument cluster change has to be done via VW central server farm as the SKC (Secret Key Code) for the cluster and ECU is stored in the cloud and not shared with the dealership or parts vendor. ONLY an authorized service tech can install a new cluster while the car is connected to the VW server, and a cluster swap is recorded into the server. Same cluster if reinstalled on the same car will raise flags to VW management.

Basically what your stating cannot be done anymore in most modern cars. In 1999 maybe, in 2013 not without leaving a mile long audit trail and lots of explaining to do.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread