Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th September 2013, 20:19   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post

1. I personally would choose 195/55 R15. That is also what VW offers on 15" rims on Polos sold abroad as an option. 205s would be too wide for the 6J rims but many are running that size without any issues. 195/60 R15 is the most popular upgrade most members have opted for. The overall change in diameter is > 2% which means increased ground clearance as well as a greater sidewall height. Tyres in this size are of a softer compound.

I am personally running aftermarket wheels ie Borbet in 16" wrapped in 205/50 R16 tyres. Member Prithwi also has the same configuration on his TSI I believe.

2. The RCD510 is compatible and available for cheaper. Please note however it requires an additional bluetooth module (9W2/ 9W7) unlike the stock unit. This pushes the cost further up. It also doesn't play DVDs or navigation.

Vagtune also offers installation depending on which city you're based out of.

Hope this helps.
Greater than 2% is not a good idea at all IMHO. Have had brake fails, abs sensor faults etc etc with wheels > 2%. This wont happen in your everyday sedate driving. The issues will 100% prop up when your driving hard and braking heavily.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 21:21   #437
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
I am personally running aftermarket wheels ie Borbet in 16" wrapped in 205/50 R16 tyres.
Can you please let me know the approximate price for these(Borbet 16 inch alloys along with 205/50 R16 tyres)?
Old 27th September 2013, 21:24   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Okay Guys, Firstly heartiest congratulations to all fellow Team-BHP'ians who are getting their GT TDi's. Please post initial ownership reviews. Okay now, even I am considering getting a GT TDi as a city run-about and I have a few questions.

- How is the handling, the stock tyres need to go is the general consensus with all Polo GT owners (TSi/TDi). Whats the best profile to be upgraded to in the stock rim itself (15''). I personally wouldn't want to go for aftermarket alloys as well
- I am pretty interested in getting the RCD510 fitted. Firstly will it be compatible with the car. The price on vagtune is 55k, and what is the deal with vagtune, do they fit it for you or just help you procure the parts, the fitment and everything needs to be taken care of by us?

VAG Experts, prithwi sir, rejoycjon, himanshu? Please help me out.

Regards,
Thank you
I shall post a short review once I drive a bit more than what I am doing right now. Kerala roads have become really busy these days and no real space for you to give it a good test.

-Stock tyres are not bad, they are not noisy at all and the grip is not that bad. But again this is a subjective topic and can vary upon every individual. I believe in a normal driving where there is less use of breaks and more of engine breaking.
I am yet to get it upgraded as for reasons that I stated in a post before, but I myself not relying upon that reason. Prthwi also states that upgrade of tyre within <2% of difference from stock size will not cause any issue to ABS or suspension.
Anyway, personally for me its a matter of taking that leap. I am not sure when I am going to be ready for that.

If you ask me, go for 205/55 R15 - its the best size in terms of the variance. There is a school of thought which suggest that its a bit too much for the stock alloy. But then I have seen cars with that tyre profile and stock alloys. A good tyre shop wala or expert can give you the right information.

I am not that informed about the RCD 510 swap. I might consider upgrading the speakers.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 10:16   #439
BHPian

Here are few pics of our GT TDI. Wish VW offered more color choices than just a red, white and black. Tyre upgrades are still pending.

Front Quarter - a few bits like a modified grill/bumper design, LED DRLs would have added a few thousands, but atleast differentiate it from the rest
VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-polo-front-1.jpg

Same case at the rear - but I've always liked the tail-lamp design
VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-polo-rear-1.jpg

Affordable performance has always been the keyword Baby polo is going to replace the old Verna.
VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-family.jpg

But then again it is all about how it feels behind the feel and whether the car connects to your heart or not. Pretty sure that chord is going to be struck with this one
Old 29th September 2013, 12:52   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Can you please let me know the approximate price for these(Borbet 16 inch alloys along with 205/50 R16 tyres)?
Borbet LS 16" Set of 4: 62k
Apollo Acelere Maxx tyres: 22k

The alloys were purchased a little over a year ago.
Excludes fitting, balancing charges.
himanshu_j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 16:05   #441
BHPian

Test drove both the GTD and TSI back to back this weekend.

TSI though quick took away all the fun with its auto box, triptronic isn't half as much fun.

But the GTD was phew!! Mindblowing. Not in the marked to buy a car right away, but I need to find a replacement for aging car and GTD ticks almost all the boxes except that horrible rear legroom (rather all Polos).
Old 30th September 2013, 20:30   #442
BHPian

A short review by autocar on the Polo GT TDI.

http://http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-reviews/new-2013-volkswagen-polo-gt-tdi-review-test-drive-358857,0.aspx
Old 1st October 2013, 10:24   #443
BHPian

I wonder when are we going to have an official review of Polo GT TSI and TDI on Team-BHP?
Old 1st October 2013, 11:15   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
I wonder when are we going to have an official review of Polo GT TSI and TDI on Team-BHP?
We do have an official review of the Polo GT TSI - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html (Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review)
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 11:23   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Oops my bad ! Forgot about the TSI review. GT TDI is one which is awaited. I am sure the car will be very similar to the Vento Diesel still would like to see the differences between the two.
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 12:02   #446
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Patiently waiting for TeamBHP official GT TDI review

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 1st October 2013 at 12:03.
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 14:53   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I got mine delivered last Wednesday. While I haven't had the chance to do an extensive test drive yet, I did make the Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai trip this weekend and overall I seem to agree with the short Autocar India review. Here are my findings so far:
  1. Power - Outstanding power delivery once you start moving. I don't like how the car takes off in the first gear. It just feels too heavy but maybe this is true for all diesel engine cars. I haven't driven the Vento or Rapid TDI yet, so I can't make that comparison. The power delivery characteristics are on par with my 2000 Audi TT till about 80-100 KMPH. After that speed, because of only 105 horses, the power delivery tapers off. I must say though, the 100-140 acceleration is still a cut above the competition. I also owned a 2007 Mazda RX-8 but the power delivery characteristics of the RX-8 with its high revving engine are completely different from that of the turbo charged diesel. So no point making a comparison there. My last car, the Hyundai Santro, is no comparison except for the take off in first and second gears. The torquey 1.1L engine of the Santro was simply superb when taking off. Overall, I am very impressed with the power delivery characteristics of the GT TDI. The car simply turns into a rocket once you put it in the second gear.
  2. Ride Quality - There are no unwanted vibrations due to the diesel engine inside the cabin and even the engine clatter noise is kept to a minimum. Though I must say that when all the windows are rolled up and AC/music system is turned off, one can hear a faint diesel engine clatter inside the cabin. But most of the times the passengers won't even know that its a diesel car. The soft suspension setup takes care of most of the undulations and pot holes of Mumbai roads. So overall ride quality checks out to be OK.
  3. Handling - I am not very impressed with the soft suspension when it comes to handling. It makes the car much less fun to drive on the open road. This combined with the thin 185 spec tires and quite a bit of understeer make the car very uncomfortable on twists and turns at high speeds with a lot of body roll. Add to this the lifeless steering, and you find yourself holding on to the steering wheels very tightly at high speeds due to which the fatigue sets in to your arms pretty soon. I was able to take it to a top speed of 170 KMPH on straight stretches of the expressway and was doing 80 on most of the bends in the ghats section. But I couldn't muster a lot of confidence in the car driving through the ghats because of reasons mentioned above. A wider tire and stiffer suspension upgrade can help alleviate some of the handling concerns but the understeering and no feedback steering will still put a damper on the sportiness of the Polo. Please keep in mind, these findings only apply to people who want to take their car to the limit and as such most of us will find the car absolutely fine to drive. In fact the Polo was intentionally given such handling characteristics to make the ride quality superior.
  4. Clutch and Gear shifts - Lots of vibration in the clutch which is not good for the driver. If you have the habit of putting your left leg on the clutch (pressed a little) most of the time, like me, then chances are that you are not going to like it. I also thought that the first gear was a little bit short but that is the case with all diesel engines I suspect. Having driven all Petrols so far, I was a bit disappointed there. The gear shift is also not very smooth. I had taken a test drive of i20 CRDI a few weeks ago and found its clutch and gear shifts to be very smooth. You couldn't tell the i20 diesel apart from the i20 Petrol working just the clutch and gears. Its that smooth!! Then again, I thought the gear shifts were not as harsh as the Punto 1.3 MJD. The travel of the clutch pedal is quite long, because of which the left leg gets fatigued a little earlier than most other cars. But overall it is not a terrible kit and I can live with it (Read: I will get used to it). I also thought that a 6th gear was required at high speeds. Not a deal breaker for me though.
  5. Interior Quality - Top notch and exactly what is expected from VW. The plastics although not soft are high quality. There is one area though where the higher quality soft plastic has been used (the bottom spoke of the steering wheel). All the plastic parts are fixed together pretty well. You won't hear any rattling sound coming out of the interiors even while driving on rough roads. So absolutely no complaints here.

To conclude, apart from handling, clutch vibrations, and lethargic take off characteristics, I like everything about the car so far. I am sure I'll get used to the diesel engine pretty soon and as such handling will become the only concern for me.

Other cars that I could have considered buying are the i20 CRDI and Punto 90HP. The Punto is not very powerful compared to i20 and GT TDI. In addition the first two gears of the Punto are fairly short, which I didn't like. The i20 is powerful but has a perceptible turbo lag (not very apparent in the GT TDI). It also suffers from the same handling issues as the Polo. In the end, with the options we have in India for a hatchback under 10L, the GT TDI wins my vote hands down. For a hatchback under 10L, I think this is absolutely a must have. It lacks the sportiness/handling of my previous two cars (TT and RX-8) but for the price I paid compared to the TT and RX-8, I think I am happy and satisfied
Old 1st October 2013, 15:49   #448
Team-BHP Support

Going for the PDI of my car right now. The sales-rep. called and informed me that the car has arrived at their stockyard yesterday. I hope all goes well!

Tomorrow being a national holiday on account of Gandhi Jayanti, it is an off for banks so no RTGS/NEFT transactions for inter-bank transfers. So the payment happens on Thursday. And the delivery on Monday morn.

*fingers crossed*

Just came back. We were taken to the stockyard by the sales rep. The VW dealer - Navjivan, also deals with Hyundai in a separate showroom so we saw some Grand i10s parked along with some Cross Polos and the usual suspects - Vento, i10, i20 etc. The new lot appears to have arrived yesterday from the Chakan plant and a peelable protective sticker was applied on top of the bonnet. The upholstery was covered in plastic covers and the carpeted floor had some bubble wrap. Wheel wells were mostly clean with a few dirt splashes. The underbody was exceptionally clean! So looks like we are good to go. Also noted down the VIN no. which I shall get decoded from Wildon. Now the wait until Monday begins!

*sigh*

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st October 2013 at 18:59. Reason: Added paragraph
Old 1st October 2013, 15:53   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
IOther cars that I could have considered buying are the i20 CRDI and Punto 90HP. The Punto is not very powerful compared to i20 and GT TDI. In addition the first two gears of the Punto are fairly short, which I didn't like. The i20 is powerful but has a perceptible turbo lag (not very apparent in the GT TDI).
Congratulations on your new ride.

Have you test driven GT TSi? If "yes", can you please share your thoughts(comparison between TSi and TDi)?
Old 1st October 2013, 16:11   #450
BHPian

Quote:
with the thin 185 spec tires and quite a bit of understeer make the car very uncomfortable on twists and turns at high speeds with a lot of body roll.
My first mod will be a tire upgrade for this car as its got puny tires.
Still checking out which one to go for.

Quote:
Lots of vibration in the clutch which is not good for the driver. If you have the habit of putting your left leg on the clutch (pressed a little) most of the time, like me, then chances are that you are not going to like it.
For us having driven remapped magnum, clutch and gear shifts are butter smooth.

Last edited by brraj : 1st October 2013 at 16:13.
Closed Thread