Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th June 2013, 19:04   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
OT.
No it cannot 'easily' handle such power The DQ 200 (presuming that goes into the Polo) can handle a max 250nm torque and we've seen failures in many Petrol Superb's as the gearbox was pushed to its max.
My guess is they detuned it so that there was less risk of gearbox issues cropping up with the DQ200, since the Vento's 250NM is slap bang at the torque limit the gearbox can handle.

It'll be interesting to see how the GT TSI compares to the GT TDI. Despite the lower power output, the diesel will still have > 30% more torque than the petrol and the DSG will shift gears seamlessly, making the GT TDI pretty good in town, I think, and also very economical on the highway run. Hmmmm....

What will be sad is if, in typical Indian fashion, they strip the diesel car of features to meet their supposed ideal price point!

Last edited by kbk_75 : 4th June 2013 at 19:05.
Old 4th June 2013, 21:38   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
My guess is they detuned it so that there was less risk of gearbox issues cropping up with the DQ200, since the Vento's 250NM is slap bang at the torque limit the gearbox can handle.
To be honest, I doubt the credibility of this Motorbeam report unless its a 6 speed DSG. I did some googling and no where in the world does VW offer such a combination.The 7 speed dsg is only available with the Petrol Tsi engines. However, the Polo is available with 1.6 Tdi engine (same specs as in Vento) and a 5 speed manual gear box with ESP in SA. In all likelihood we may get that in India too. I doubt if VW will risk offering 7 speed DSG with a 10% or so tolerance limit in the Polo GT TDi.

Here's the link to VW SA site:
http://www.vw.co.za/en/models/polo/p...d_options.html

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how the GT TSI compares to the GT TDI. Despite the lower power output, the diesel will still have > 30% more torque than the petrol and the DSG will shift gears seamlessly, making the GT TDI pretty good in town, I think, and also very economical on the highway run. Hmmmm....
I expect the GT TDI to be quicker, though I may be wrong.

Quote:
What will be sad is if, in typical Indian fashion, they strip the diesel car of features to meet their supposed ideal price point!
The GT models are more of a brand building exercise for VW I guess, so they may not be too concerned about the pricing. However, if the car costs nearly the same as a Vento Highline Diesel, I doubt it'll find many takers. So in all likelihood we may get a stripped down version making a buyer really confused between the GT TSI (VFM, cutting edge tech) and GT TDI(Practical option may be?)

Last edited by shashank.nk : 4th June 2013 at 21:49.
Old 5th June 2013, 00:22   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I don't think it is that easy to mate the DQ200 with the 1.6L diesel. Apart from reducing the torque from the engine there's lots more to it. The gearbox needs to be programmed and tested for the power delivery characteristics of the diesel as against the petrol.

I don't see VW doing all that R&D for mating the DQ200 with the diesel plant only for India. They probably will just get the 6 speed wet clutch DSG.
Old 5th June 2013, 00:28   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, I doubt the credibility of this Motorbeam report unless its a 6 speed DSG. I did some googling and no where in the world does VW offer such a combination.The 7 speed dsg is only available with the Petrol Tsi engines. However, the Polo is available with 1.6 Tdi engine (same specs as in Vento) and a 5 speed manual gear box with ESP in SA. In all likelihood we may get that in India too. I doubt if VW will risk offering 7 speed DSG with a 10% or so tolerance limit in the Polo GT TDi.

Here's the link to VW SA site:
http://www.vw.co.za/en/models/polo/p...d_options.html

I expect the GT TDI to be quicker, though I may be wrong.

The GT models are more of a brand building exercise for VW I guess, so they may not be too concerned about the pricing. However, if the car costs nearly the same as a Vento Highline Diesel, I doubt it'll find many takers. So in all likelihood we may get a stripped down version making a buyer really confused between the GT TSI (VFM, cutting edge tech) and GT TDI(Practical option may be?)
You're probably right about the 6 speed DSG being the sensible option. And I agree, no way VW India is going to spend any money on R&D. They want these cars to be the halo models for the Polo range and they want to do it as simply as possible.

I dunno if the diesel will outrun the petrol in a straight line. In-gear it will probably out-punch the petrol but in a straight 0-100 or more I feel the petrol will trump it because of the lower weight, higher HP and even because it has 7 speed vs 6 speed (if, in fact, the GT TDI gets even a six speed DSG 'box) so tighter gearing. I also think the petrol will out handle it. It'll be an interesting match up for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't think it is that easy to mate the DQ200 with the 1.6L diesel. Apart from reducing the torque from the engine there's lots more to it. The gearbox needs to be programmed and tested for the power delivery characteristics of the diesel as against the petrol.

I don't see VW doing all that R&D for mating the DQ200 with the diesel plant only for India. They probably will just get the 6 speed wet clutch DSG.
Agreed.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 5th June 2013 at 00:33.
kbk_75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 07:50   #110
BHPian

I seriously think that VW wants to make most money out if the existing polo platform before the new one comes out in 2014. They had started the polo production in 2009. So what is the explanation, to come up with all these new launches at the end of a product life cycle? Is that something any sensible automaker would do? ofcourse unless there is no significant cost added to the original cost. Now that also makes one think that the new polo wont be launched in India until 2015.

Last edited by 999 : 5th June 2013 at 07:51.
999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 10:25   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
I seriously think that VW wants to make most money out if the existing polo platform before the new one comes out in 2014. They had started the polo production in 2009. So what is the explanation, to come up with all these new launches at the end of a product life cycle? Is that something any sensible automaker would do? ofcourse unless there is no significant cost added to the original cost. Now that also makes one think that the new polo wont be launched in India until 2015.
Yes, you're probably right. It's sound logic to want to maximise one's ROI. In that case, though, they should just plonk the Vento TDI drivetrain into the Polo and add the GT TSI's features. No investment, R&D or extra inventories required!
Old 5th June 2013, 10:26   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I believe the new Octavia has a 1.6 TDI variant with 7-speed DSG.
But you are right. In the international markets, the Polo with 1.6 TDI is of 90ps power and is available only with manual transmission. I donít think they will invent anything new for India.
Old 5th June 2013, 12:48   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arzoro View Post
Spotted a POLO GTI TDI near the VW chakan factory.
Wish you had a quick peek inside to see what transmission was on offer!

A GT TSI was under my radar and my cousin has already picked one up in black a week ago. However, despite my largely city-oriented driving I'm actually eagerly awaiting a GT TDI, and unlike most of the enthusiasts I would really like one with the 6 speed DSG if possible!

Although the horror stories out there make it a difficult proposition, I feel the Indian market is maturing (right word to use?) towards the automatics/DSG/DCTs thanks to our metropolitan traffic.
Old 14th June 2013, 16:17   #114
BHPian

Elite Motors in Bangalore have been trying hard to push the TDI highline. Not sure if he's trying to dissuade me, but claims it will be another 4-5 months before we see this on the road. He also went on to say that it would only be available in a manual. The kicker is that there is a 3 month minimum waiting period for the GT TSI - A 10 lakh OTR car in Bangalore!

If the car is indeed available only in manual it would be disappointing for me. Though I'm sure plenty of true blue enthusiasts would rejoice.
Old 14th June 2013, 20:38   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
Elite Motors in Bangalore have been trying hard to push the TDI highline. Not sure if he's trying to dissuade me, but claims it will be another 4-5 months before we see this on the road. He also went on to say that it would only be available in a manual. The kicker is that there is a 3 month minimum waiting period for the GT TSI - A 10 lakh OTR car in Bangalore!

If the car is indeed available only in manual it would be disappointing for me. Though I'm sure plenty of true blue enthusiasts would rejoice.
Shefiu its great news if its available only in manual as one can hope it may be priced similar to the TSI with same engine specs as in the Vento. Also the launch time may only be a month or max 2 away and not 4 or 5 months like the SA is saying. That's why he's being pushy on the current high line.
Can you please PM the current OTR after all discounts on the high line diesel
Old 15th June 2013, 01:00   #116
Senior - BHPian

With more research, I stumbled upon this link! So the VW Polo is indeed sold with the 7 speed DSG and the 1.6TDi making 90ps of power and 23.5kgm of torque. Here are a few links to the VW Korea site

Its called the R line there
http://www.volkswagen.co.kr/ko/model...o-1-6-tdi.html

I also found a review of the car on Youtube. Video is in Korean and they've tested the car in Gangnam

As for me, i'll be a tad bit disappointed if they were to offer this detuned version. Will love the one offered in SA though! Or will VW first launch the DSG version and in a few months launch the manual version ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 15th June 2013 at 01:19. Reason: Formatting goes for a toss if i add a https link to the video
shashank.nk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 02:28   #117
BHPian

Quote:
As for me, i'll be a tad bit disappointed if they were to offer this detuned version.
It will also be hard for VW to justify all the GT badging and stickers with this detuned 90ps engine. I mean the GT TSI barely qualifies as a warm hatch according to international standards.
Old 15th June 2013, 14:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esma1981 View Post
It will also be hard for VW to justify all the GT badging and stickers with this detuned 90ps engine. I mean the GT TSI barely qualifies as a warm hatch according to international standards.
The true hot hatches are only the GTI and GTD models that's why VW has gone with GT TSI and GT TDI badging for whats being sold in India. It wont have scorching performance but i'm sure it'll be better than many hatches sold today, only the TSI may be faster thanks to low weight and more power. Will be interesting to compare the two
Old 16th June 2013, 12:12   #119
BHPian

Quote:
With more research, I stumbled upon this link! So the VW Polo is indeed sold with the 7 speed DSG and the 1.6TDi making 90ps of power and 23.5kgm of torque. Here are a few links to the VW Korea site

Its called the R line there
http://www.volkswagen.co.kr/ko/model...o-1-6-tdi.html

I also found a review of the car on Youtube. Video is in Korean and they've tested the car in Gangnam

As for me, i'll be a tad bit disappointed if they were to offer this detuned version. Will love the one offered in SA though! Or will VW first launch the DSG version and in a few months launch the manual version ?
Quote:
The true hot hatches are only the GTI and GTD models that's why VW has gone with GT TSI and GT TDI badging for whats being sold in India. It wont have scorching performance but i'm sure it'll be better than many hatches sold today, only the TSI may be faster thanks to low weight and more power. Will be interesting to compare the two
It would either be a manual with the same specs as a Vento with a manual or a DSG with 90bhp. Or could VW go crazy and launch one after the other?

What I'm really hoping is that with the success of the GT TSI, (Dunno if the SA was fibbing but 3 month wait period? Maybe others could clarify) this could mean that we could see the launch of GTIs, GTDs sometime next year?

To end with a rant, I really really would have liked the options of sunroof, automatic wipers, headlights - at least in the top-end models. Customers are clearly willing to pay more for quality, why not give them more as well?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th June 2013 at 15:39. Reason: removing video from quoted post
Old 16th June 2013, 14:50   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
Wish you had a quick peek inside to see what transmission was on offer!

A GT TSI was under my radar and my cousin has already picked one up in black a week ago. However, despite my largely city-oriented driving I'm actually eagerly awaiting a GT TDI, and unlike most of the enthusiasts I would really like one with the 6 speed DSG if possible!

Although the horror stories out there make it a difficult proposition, I feel the Indian market is maturing (right word to use?) towards the automatics/DSG/DCTs thanks to our metropolitan traffic.
I also Spotted the car near VW plant, i checked the Gearbox and it was Manual. looks wise overall car is same as GT TSI.
tushky is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread