Toyota Etios Liva 11 2.51%
VW Polo 17 3.87%
Honda Jazz 4 0.91%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th November 2012, 07:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1

I can comment only on cars which i experienced my self. Most of the maruti hatchbacks(swift,rit,wagon r)have a comfortable ride and absorb the bumps well at speeds below 40kmph, slightly faster and the suspension tends to crash into the bumps.The swift being a slight exception here .
The i20 too has a comfortable ride but only at lower speeds.

The fabia also has a comfortable ride but its slightly on the stiff side, more or less like the swift.

The figo also has a stiff ride so the bumps are felt more at low speeds as compared to the rest but at higher speeds the ride is much better than The ritz, wagon r, i20. The figo score well in the handling department but ride quality is a downer.

I see the punto has got the highest vote but sadly i have not sat in the punto long enough to comment on the ride.
The Punto, Fabia, Swift, Ritz, Wagon R, A Star, Jazz and Brio have a good ride because of their slightly stiff suspension setup. Not necessarily in this order though.

The Hyundai cars are wallowy and crash into bumps.

The normal Indica is similarly crashy till one changes the seats by bolstering the cushioning significantly, replace the rims with bigger alloys and change the stock tyres to fatter ones!

Amongst all the above I would still vote for the Punto, Fabia, Jazz and Swift for a variety of different reasons. Again not necessarily in this order.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 09:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads?

I have voted for Indica Vista, wrongly thinking that the OP was asking about the best car to offer comfortable ride (backseat comfort) on bad roads.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 09:31   #18
BHPian

Cross a rumble strip at various speeds - I do it everyday and the Punto simply smothers it. I can see the rear side of other lighter hatches bouncing and even shifting left to right. Have tested the Santro, Swift & Figo also - Santro expectedly was bouncy, Swift was predictable though still uncomfortable on the rear seat and the Figo was more composed, though not as accomplished as the Punto.
jessie007 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 09:45   #19

I would vote for the Polo, but why is it not in the poll options. I think it has one of the best rides this side of 10 lacs, including the sedans.
troika is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 09:50   #20
BHPian

The Punto and Fabia tops the list, followed by Liva and Sail.I haven't been on the the Sail yet, but heard positive reviews about its ride quality.Only negative that Punto has is a lesser rear legroom. The Jazz and Brio comes at the bottom because of the typical stiff suspension setup in all Honda's. i20 which seems comfortable a lower speeds gets a bit unsettled at higher speeds. Figo seems to be in the middle of the list with a good handling and better ride quality than many Japanese contenders.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Will take a test drive of the Fabia & Punto shortly and confirm it, but I strongly suspect that the Fabia & Punto are miles ahead of the rest when it comes to tacking potholes and poor tarmac while at the same time ensure decent ride quality while doing so. Seen a lot of hatchback comparos on autocar show & Overdrive seem to suggest so making me strongly suspect the same. The Overdive show on hatchbacks drive to Khardungla/Rohtang and back was very suggestive about this aspect.

Fabia may edge out the Polo on basis of higher ground clearance. And thus I chose Fabia over Polo.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:00   #22
BHPian

I agree with Suhaas on missing Liva and Sail UVA on the list. If not by a huge margin, Liva wins almost all contests here when it comes to ride quality. I own a Brio and isn't at all a favourite when it comes to ride quality. Too bumpy and thrashing on bad roads

Next best is PUNTO, anyday. so voted for it.

Aloha
Shiv
Shiv_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:07   #23
BHPian

I would have voted for Palio, if it was still available. I own one, 1.6 Sport and its pretty good. Out of all the cars in the list, my vote goes to the Swift. Most of my friends own a Swift and my experience has been good (when i travel with them!).
bond_bhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:34   #24
BHPian

Post re: Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads?

Without an iota of doubt, my vote's on the Punto. With a fabulously tuned suspension and a direct steering that is a driver's delight; I think Fiat has managed to find that ultra-thin line between ride and handling - on Indian roads no less - which is a very significant factor of consideration.

However I've to say that the Etios Liva and the Figo would also be right up there, if not clock in a close second in this race.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:45   #25
BHPian

Voted for Punto.
I own one and I know how awesome the ride quality is even in a bad stretch.
hurricanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 12:04   #26
BHPian

Have driven the below cars and found Figo to be a better handler amongst the below. My BIL has a Swift (VDi), so have extensively driven it. Although the chassis is tout but the skinny tyres were enough to scare me out.

Maruti Suzuki Swift
Chevrolet Beat
Nissan Micra
Maruti Suzuki Ritz
Hyundai i10
Ford Figo
Toyota Etios Liva

My vote goes to the Figo.
shantanumishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 12:14   #27
BHPian

Why VW Polo, Maruti Ritz, Fiat Palio, Honds Jazz are excluded?

These hatchbacks also offer very good ride quality.
CANPUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 12:25   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Why VW Polo, Maruti Ritz, Fiat Palio, Honds Jazz are excluded?

These hatchbacks also offer very good ride quality.
The Ritz, Polo and Palio are decent on bad surfaces, but the Jazz? I don't think so. It's quite stiff and thuds often do creep into the cabin. It is also unsettled when the road is uneven especially if you're going at the rate of *legal* knots. I can vouch for this as we recently covered 2000 km in our Jazz after a long break. The Bangalore - Goa round trip is a more comfortable affair these days, especially if you take the right route.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 15:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Did we forget the Chevrolet Spark?

The ride quality is phenomenal, considering the size and segment of the car.
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite
Did we forget the Chevrolet Spark?

The ride quality is phenomenal, considering the size and segment of the car.
Can vouch for that. Just completed a 1000-odd km round trip from Pune to Akola and back, and took different routes in the way out and in (based on differing suggestions). The Spark not only rides well, but was also able to leave a number of more powerful MUVs and some cars behind in the several ghat sections. The only difference from stock is that I have Yoko A drives, which are a size wider than the horrible stock MRFs she came with. And this is at 65k kms.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote