Chevrolet Sail 7 1.59%
Ford Figo 27 6.15%
Toyota Etios Liva 11 2.51%
VW Polo 17 3.87%
Honda Jazz 4 0.91%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th November 2012, 16:35   #31
BHPian

Default re: Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads?

My vote goes to FIAT Punto. The other choices are :

1. Ford Figo - Driven for around 40K KM and it does handles great! Loved cornering it everytime I got a chance!
2. FIAT Palio - had a second hand one, was already driven around 23K and I drove it for another 20-25 K over a period of 3 years. Had an issue with the rear twist beam and used to sway a bit. Still it was a great drivers car!
3. Chevy Spark - Driven for around 2K KM including a 750 KM drive with family. It does handle well, but feels out of steam during over taking.

Other than these, worst ride and handling expercience so far has been with Alto F8D. Though can't complain much. It is build to a cost and does justice with whatever it has to offer for the price.

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 16:55   #32
BHPian

Best ride quality differs in rear and front . Some vehicles may have excellent ride quality in front and poor ride comfort in rear . Some may have somewhat similar in both rear and front .

For example punto (195/60 15) has very good front and bit bouncy rear . Fabia is a vehicle which offers comfort which is ok at both front and rear . So I have voted for fabia .
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 17:01   #33
BHPian

My vote goes to the Punto it handles brilliantly and ride comfort is also pretty good as you can glide over bad roads without much of a problem.

Having held on to a Figo for close to a year I can the Figo is better in handling but I think the suspension is a tad too stiff. The imperfections on road seem to find their way inside the cabin so ride is not the most comfortable.

Well that's just me though. You can't have the best of both worlds

Cheers,
Kaushik
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 18:00   #34
BHPian

Voted for Punto (with 195-60 R15) and then was pleasantly surprised to see the initial poll result

I have not driven the SAIL U-VA though and hence reserve my comments on that. Other hatch that I can vouch for (except for steering feedback) is i20. It does a wonderful job for a 14" wheel.

Last edited by Driving_Nomad : 19th November 2012 at 18:02.
Driving_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 18:29   #35
BHPian

Voted for Sail UVA. Though Haven't driven it yet, but I own an UVA (not in the list) and have driven most of the other vehicle except fabia/Micra/Liva/Brio. Looking at the reviews which tells Sail UVa is even better ride quality than AVEO-UVA i have voted for SAIL-UVA. Surprised to see 17 people voting for Vista. My experience has been really bad so i am amused . Guess most of the people will vote for vehicles they own.

Last edited by anu21v : 19th November 2012 at 18:30.
anu21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 18:40   #36
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 20th November 2012 at 12:21.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th November 2012, 19:28   #37
BHPian

When I say ride quality , few things I consider :
- Suspension action/bump soaking capability (low speeds/high speeds).
- Suspension noise over bad roads.
- Ground clearance (cars with great GC can fly over bad roads. Eg SX4)

Figo' ride quality is stiff at low speeds but it is flat as speed rises. Suspension noise is there. GC is low, so one can't glide over bad roads, has to slow down.

Vista's ride is quite pampering at low and medium speeds. Some bounciness occurs at speed though. 70% time it is good. GC is good , so Vista neednot have to slow down at the sight of bad roads like Figo. Suspension much silent than old Indica and bit better than Figo.

Liva's suspension is stiff at low speeds but smoother as the speed rises. Car doesn't feel unsettled most of the time but suspension noise can make the feel of car crashing over bad roads.

New Swift's ride over bad roads is good as the speed rises. At low speeds it does crash if the potholes are large. GC helps the car to ride more fearlessly than European cars. Suspension noise is very less compared to other Marutis

Fabia's cabin is well capsulated from suspension noise and ride is good most the time. Large irregularities unsettle the car. GC is low as well. Swift rides better than Fabia at most speeds

Punto' suspension noiseless and does the job without make any disturbance. GC on older models was low and hence it was bit of a problem. Ride improves with speed for Punto. That indestructable feel of this solidly built car is quite assuring

Last edited by Turbokick : 19th November 2012 at 19:33.
Turbokick is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 19:31   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Look at the irony the car with close to 60% of votes amongst the 14 odd contenders, is actually the least selling of the lot. Looks like ride quality on bad roads is the least considered parameter when it comes to actual decision making.

The Punto indeed is good, but my vote goes to the Fabia. I find the ride quality pretty nice on average/ good roads.
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 19:36   #39
BHPian

Put Spark in there please. I can vouch for it, my family will vouch for it. We spent 60k kms on it. Lovely car.
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 20:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Strangely surprised to see a Fiat Punto leading as of now. I am surprised because of their dismal sales. I have driven and been on Swift, Punto, i20 and Figo. Out of these, found Punto to be the sweetest ride quality and voted for it.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Easy poll! My vote to Fiat Punto. Have been experiencing the superb ride quality since 2009 :-)

Have driven some other hatches too and I know nothing comes close.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th November 2012 at 22:12.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 08:27   #42
BHPian

Extremely OT but why didn't the VW Polo make it to the list? Have heard a lot of good things about its ride quality and highway manners.
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 09:25   #43
BHPian

My vote goes to Fiat Punto, I find it's ride quality and handling absolutely brilliant compared to other hatches.

However, the VW Polo should have made it the select list. I think it is the only car that can compete with Punto in this aspect.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 09:30   #44
BHPian

Asking everyone to vote on their choice is surely not the right way to get the best answer.

The question is indeed is a very pertinent one. But the right way to go about it is certainly not a poll. That's because if I have to correctly answer the "Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads?" then I should have run all the hatchbacks listed above on equally bad roads under more or less similar circumstances. Then I should have similar standards against which I measure their individual performance, compare them and adjust for randomness. And then you have a proper listing.

So one may argue that we are not looking for a precise answer just an approximate one (parallel to what Keynes said, "It is better to be approximately right than precisely wrong"!). But I believe the responses are going to be heavily biased by one's ownership / experience of the listed hatchback and hearsay about others. Especially when there are so many of them. So the results of such a poll are not helpful.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 09:31   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for FIAT Punto as well.

During my TD drive of most cars in the segment (inluding several sedans), Punto was a really suprising experience in terms of ride quality. SE went through a series of pothoes, and even one small bump - but wife - sitting at the backseat didn't even seem to notice all this drama!

Hearing good things about Sail U-VA. Lets see if it can better Punto.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th November 2012 at 09:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote