Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 17:18   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,772
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavalkar View Post
GTO - Could not see the storme numbers till date. Was curious to see how it fares.Any idea on those ?
TML does not give break up just like Vista/India or Manza/Indigo is still clubbed together. But based on what Safari was selling in the last 3 months before the Storme launch and what you see now, my guesstimate is about 300-400 numbers. Once all India launch is done, this might go up to maybe 600 numbers. Safari/Storme combo would report about 1000 numbers. They might as well club together Aria numbers as well
narayan is offline  
Old 14th December 2012, 18:38   #107
BHPian
 
Saptarshi B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 110
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Is it Possible to get the data file as well with the numbers and charts ?
Saptarshi B is offline  
Old 14th December 2012, 22:13   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -
Posts: 858
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Maruti Ertiga Sells Over 55,000 Units; Awarded ‘Family Car of the Year’

Today, Ertiga is the number 1 MUV in India and sells more than other similar cars including the Innova. Ertiga has been awarded “Family Car Of The Year 2012” by Top Gear India. The magazine appreciates the car for creating an altogether a new segment of Compact Utility vehicles .

The Family Car Of The Year 2012 award was received by Mr. CV Raman, Executive Director (Engineering), Maruti Suzuki from Mr S Sandilya, President, Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) at the award ceremony. Ertiga has sold over 55,000 units within just months of its launch and has been a roaring success for the company.

Source: http://motorbash.com/maruti-ertiga-s...r-of-the-year/
swiftdiesel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 15:06   #109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Even with the Diwali season, only 186 units of the Jazz sold in November? That's even lesser than the Ambassador! I can understand Linea & Punto selling in low numbers due to Fiat's reputation in India, but how come a very capable car from the Honda stable is faring so poorly? Surely, it can't be only due to the fact that it's a Petrol vehicle. Long waiting periods/step-motherly treatment by Honda/sunset in the offing?

Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Why I said "Honda = too expensive in buyers mind" is that I have suggested jazz and brio to a few friends who are looking for a petrol car in that segment. While most people agree that their cars are good, they don't seem to know that Jazz and Brio prices are on par with others as well. Most people still think that Honda is expensive. They hardly try to even find the price or maintenance cost. This has to be changed if Honda wishes to regain.
Honda jazz sales number are normal for a petrol hatchback.Just look at the sales number of other B2 petrol hatchbacks and C1 petrol sedans.Ford Figo's 157 units(vs 4628 diesel),Ford Fiesta old 82 units, Nissan Micra+Renault Pulse 159 units.They all have sold less then the more expensive Jazz ,its only the Toyota Liva that has sold more at 361 petrol units.

While there is no data on swift petrol and I20 petrol ,it wouldn't be surprising if we see the same story.

Honda dealers never advertises Jazz in newspapers nor do they have any offers or freebies for Jazz not even a corporate discount.Some showrooms don't even have them on display.The sales person is also not keen to push jazz because they may not have one in stock or are under pressure to push the unsold brio and city like below at Dakshin Honda stockyard in bangalore.
Name:  img20120510133033.jpg
Views: 6690
Size:  170.3 KB


Honda also raised the prices on all its cars twice during the past 8 months.Jazz prices were increased each time by 15k(total of 30k ex-showroom) ,where as the Honda Brio prices were merely increased by 5k and 1k respectively(total of 6k) and Honda city prices were increased by 10k and 6k respectively(total of 16k).So its clear that Honda is not making that much profits on the Jazz in India.

In Middle East Asian and many South East Asian countries ,the Jazz is more expensive then the Honda city.Its only in India that they are forced to sell at a lower price.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 16:51   #110
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 747
Thanked: 920 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Honda also raised the prices on all its cars twice during the past 8 months.Jazz prices were increased each time by 15k(total of 30k ex-showroom) ,where as the Honda Brio prices were merely increased by 5k and 1k respectively(total of 6k) and Honda city prices were increased by 10k and 6k respectively(total of 16k).So its clear that Honda is not making that much profits on the Jazz in India.

In Middle East Asian and many South East Asian countries ,the Jazz is more expensive then the Honda city.Its only in India that they are forced to sell at a lower price.
I wouldn't be sure of that. The norm is that sedans cost more than hatchbacks, unless you're comparing premium large hatchbacks or hot hatches to smaller sedans. It's likely that manufacturing and material costs of sedans are higher, but in markets where some hatchbacks are more valued over similarly sized sedans , like the Jazz for its internal cabin space, the marketing experts may well decide to sell the hatch at a premium over the sedan.
Ricci is offline  
Old 20th December 2012, 17:21   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
The norm is that sedans cost more than hatchbacks, unless you're comparing premium large hatchbacks or hot hatches to smaller sedans.
That's the norm in India, but not abroad.
carboy is offline  
Old 20th December 2012, 18:21   #112
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 747
Thanked: 920 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
That's the norm in India, but not abroad.
Is it? Any examples off hand you know of?
I am not current with European markets, but it has been the trend to reduce congestion, smaller hatchbacks being more preferring over sedans, smaller usually also being easier to make, less material, thus cheaper. Of course , I'm not talking of premium hatches like Minis, the BMWs/Audis/MBs - just the more mainstream American/Japanese/Korean/European non-luxury makes.
I have a friend in London who was thinking of getting a hatch, he indicated the sedans do cost more.
Ricci is offline  
Old 20th December 2012, 18:35   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Honda jazz sales number are normal for a petrol hatchback.Just look at the sales number of other B2 petrol hatchbacks and C1 petrol sedans.Ford Figo's 157 units(vs 4628 diesel),Ford Fiesta old 82 units, Nissan Micra+Renault Pulse 159 units.They all have sold less then the more expensive Jazz ,its only the Toyota Liva that has sold more at 361 petrol units.

While there is no data on swift petrol and I20 petrol ,it wouldn't be surprising if we see the same story.

Honda dealers never advertises Jazz in newspapers nor do they have any offers or freebies for Jazz not even a corporate discount.Some showrooms don't even have them on display.The sales person is also not keen to push jazz because they may not have one in stock or are under pressure to push the unsold brio and city like below at Dakshin Honda stockyard in bangalore.
Attachment 1029216


Honda also raised the prices on all its cars twice during the past 8 months.Jazz prices were increased each time by 15k(total of 30k ex-showroom) ,where as the Honda Brio prices were merely increased by 5k and 1k respectively(total of 6k) and Honda city prices were increased by 10k and 6k respectively(total of 16k).So its clear that Honda is not making that much profits on the Jazz in India.

In Middle East Asian and many South East Asian countries ,the Jazz is more expensive then the Honda city.Its only in India that they are forced to sell at a lower price.
The Jazz is priced higher than City in other parts of the world. However, in India it enjoys a tax advantage as it is below 4 m in length.
rajneeesh is offline  
Old 20th December 2012, 19:37   #114
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 3,871 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Is it? Any examples off hand you know of?
I am not current with European markets, but it has been the trend to reduce congestion, smaller hatchbacks being more preferring over sedans, smaller usually also being easier to make, less material, thus cheaper. Of course , I'm not talking of premium hatches like Minis, the BMWs/Audis/MBs - just the more mainstream American/Japanese/Korean/European non-luxury makes.
I have a friend in London who was thinking of getting a hatch, he indicated the sedans do cost more.
This is OT on this thread. But just a couple of examples, with similar engine/trim level - Honda Jazz > City, VW Golf > Jetta.
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 20:19   #115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 99
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
To add to the above, Nano is slowly getting launched internationally too. Indonesia, Nepal, Sri Lanka, may be South East Asia and some Bric nations.
All these countries nano sales put together will not be more than 1000 units at max. ,at least for next 1 year. Unless TATA do something very dramatic to product itself its going to be difficult for them to increase numbers. The car is not silky smooth per se to drive ans also the noisy engine has put off many of my friends from buying it when i show them my car.
ramesh is offline  
Old 20th December 2012, 20:23   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I wouldn't be sure of that. The norm is that sedans cost more than hatchbacks, unless you're comparing premium large hatchbacks or hot hatches to smaller sedans. It's likely that manufacturing and material costs of sedans are higher, but in markets where some hatchbacks are more valued over similarly sized sedans , like the Jazz for its internal cabin space, the marketing experts may well decide to sell the hatch at a premium over the sedan.
It could be that the marketing guys may have priced the Jazz higher in other countries.Sedans may for the most part be more expensive to manufacture then the hatchback or platform it was derived from ,but its not the case always. Many say that the 2011 Swift hatch is more expensive to manufacture then the new 2012 Swift Dzire sedan.

Honda Jazz is different ,it has magic seats and quite a lot of interior passenger space+ loads of boot space (more then new Swift Dzire ).Honda where able to achieve this by some smart packaging,the fuel tank for instance is below the front seats.

Besides why is that Honda India keep raising all the variants of Jazz each time by 15k ,where as the city is only raised by 1k to 6k(VMT variant).So it does support the theory that Honda isn't making much profit in Jazz due to higher production cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The Jazz is priced higher than City in other parts of the world. However, in India it enjoys a tax advantage as it is below 4 m in length.
But i believe its only in India,where we have different excise duty for cars under 4m length.But the excise duty goes to the government.So internationally where there is no excise slabs, if the Jazz is priced higher then the City then Honda must have had some good reasons for it.
When the first price hike of this year was announced by all manufactures due to the increase in excise duty , Honda raised the ex-showroom price of Jazz by 15k where as Honda City and Brio enjoyed a significantly lesser price increase, as said in my earlier post.
aim120 is offline  
Old 20th December 2012, 20:27   #117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 99
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
well my 2 bits here.

I have tried to divided the top 20 cars basis Category, and post that we will come to know which category is doing well.

Over a period of time we will come to know what categories are doing well and not.

cheers,
ac
Why should we separate MUV / SUV category ? these r same kind of vehicles except rural urban divide in customer preference , and also the commercial and personal use.
ramesh is offline  
Old 21st December 2012, 21:30   #118
BHPian
 
searchingheaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: KDCA-KDFW-VOBL
Posts: 320
Thanked: 1,356 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Is it possible for us to download the original XLSX file containg the sales data? I have a printer which is not able to print the attached images clearly. Can we get the file?
searchingheaven is offline  
Old 1st January 2013, 18:14   #119
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,056
Thanked: 15,561 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

December 2012 sales.

Honda has sold 1,442 units of its flagship sedan City and 2,286 units of its small car Brio.
It has also sold 365 units of the premium hatchback Jazz, 70 units of sedan Civic and 79 units of the premium sedan Accord. Exports stood at 422 units last month.

General Motors India has posted a 21.82 per cent decline in sales at 7,067 units in December 2012.

Mahindra & Mahindra sold 45,297 vehicles in December, a 6 per cent increase from 42,761 units sold during the same month a year ago.

Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL) today reported 2.48 per cent fall in total sales at 47,833 units in December 2012.
In the A2 segment (Eon, Santro, i10 and i20), the company sold 41,069 units, while sales in the A3 segment (Accent and Verna) stood at 6,270 units in December 2012.
The company sold 46 units of the sports utility vehicle Santa Fe during the month. Sales of luxury sedan Sonata stood at 20 units, while Elantra witnessed 428 purchases.


Source: Business Line
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 19:52   #120
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,056
Thanked: 15,561 Times
Default Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Renault -In December 2012, the Duster accounted for 4,485 units, Scala 820 units, Pulse 515 units, Fluence 68 units and Koleos 36 units, Renault India said in a statement.

Toyota Motor today reported 24.31 per cent decrease in its car sales at 12,071 units in December 2012

Ford:In the domestic market, the company sold 6,517 units in December 2012 as against 5,978 units sold during the same period of previous year.

Source: Business Standard
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
November 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 69 1st January 2015 17:19
November 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis parrys The Indian Car Scene 124 9th January 2014 17:12
April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 108 1st June 2012 12:59
March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 140 1st May 2012 15:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:45.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks