Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2012, 11:26   #151
BHPian

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

My vote goes to Duster, my initial impression was very bad for it as it is Dacia Duster and a joke kind of SUV in foreign country.
But after looking its road presence and practicality on our Indian roads I realise that this is the vehicle to go for.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:19   #152
BHPian

I have voted for Duster.

For once it has shown that it is not necessary to be a Japanese product to set the charts on fire. ( And not Mahindra either.. read Bolero).
Particularly I loved the 85 PS version more. It is the most practical option one can look at given price point.
It has got Robust looks coupled with unbeatable fuel economy.
Great volumes of booking have also cleared hurdle for Renault to increase its Dealer base and have reasonable/ reliable service.
Hope they don't disappoint.
Cheers,
Abhijeet
Old 11th December 2012, 12:20   #153
Senior - BHPian

The only reason my vote would go for the Duster, is because it opened up a much desired segment, in the form of the mini SUV. Yes, there have been some in that catagory, but the Duster looks the way a mini SUV should look.

I personally didnt like the car at all, but its the segment, that Duster got launched, that gets my vote.
Had the EcoSport been launched (at the desired price!), it would've been an even better battle to fight .
Old 11th December 2012, 12:34   #154
BHPian

Voted for Duster, had a hard time choosing between Quanto, Duster & Ertiga. Looking at how well all three are received and the huge market demand, all three deserve the award. But finally went what I felt with my heart (not listened to my head).

OT: Would have voted for Range Rover, but it is way beyond our definition for entry...
Old 11th December 2012, 13:25   #155
Senior - BHPian

I went against the tide here and voted for the 3 series. Its quite evolutionary from the outgoing 3 and I loved its design. Duster and Ertiga failed to entice me, but yes, I am quite interested in the segment in which the Duster has been launched. Looking forward to Ecosport
Old 11th December 2012, 14:30   #156
BHPian

My vote is for Hyundai Elantra. Finally Hyundai has striked the D segment class with this stunning car. Loaded with features and a Diesel engine that you can live with both in City traffic and Highways. Dosent have the outright performance like Cruze. But as I said you can live with it. Excellent styling and quality interiors works.

Last edited by Aarman_008 : 11th December 2012 at 14:31.
Old 11th December 2012, 17:09   #157
BHPian

Much as i liked the Duster and would have voted for it, I went a little subjective in my decision as in "Would i buy it?" and at that price point and with that downmarket interiors, probably not.

I voted for the Safari Storme, despite the weird re-fresh styling because the core values of the Safari seems to have been retained with most of the complaints addressed. And I'm seriously contemplating it as a replacement for my Innova. Just wish they had retained the spare wheel at the back and hadn't done the Gangnam styling at the front.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 18:33   #158
BHPian

Duster for me . It's always a complecated myth what end user want .Companies spend loads of money and still not able to figure it out .Duster scored high on here within a short range of time what indian end user expect and comply most of them with agreed compromise .
Whether it's a best car of the Year in terms of build,style,performance -probably no. but i bet it's best car from a large portion of buyer's prespective .Just for this simple reason my vote goes to Duster .
Old 11th December 2012, 19:24   #159
BHPian

Wow the Duster and the Ertiga are indeed running away with it. I was kinda expecting a four-horse race with the 3 series and the Alto 800 featuring somewhere in close contention with the Renault and the Maruti. Not to be!

In fact despite not voting for it, I was secretly hoping to see a lot more of the 3 series. Moreover I'm almost shocked at there being hardly any takers for the Maruti 800! I would've thought it might press the right buttons for a lot of folks. Again not to be!

Quite astonishing!!
Old 11th December 2012, 21:33   #160
BHPian

I voted for Duster . But I am of the opinion that Renault has benefited much due to 'First Mover Advantage' theory. Duster is a wonderful product. The now prevailing price for Duster diesel variants except the entry level diesel variant is simply over pricing.
If Ford prices Ecosport aggressively and soon after Maruti launches XA Alpha SUV, the hype for this French manufacturers SUV is not going to last long unless they are able to establish trust among the Indian customers. For that they must bring in professionalism into the After Sales Service and strengthen the dealership networks.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 11th December 2012 at 21:36. Reason: addition
Old 11th December 2012, 22:06   #161
BHPian

A company with a bare-as-bones network launches a product in a cost conscious market where half the people do not even know how to pronounce the name of the company. The product manages to sell, (and how) carving out a niche for itself, leaving others in the dust. there must be something right about the product!
that qualifies it to be my car of the year - take a bow 'renolt' duster
disclaimer: i do not own a duster
Old 11th December 2012, 22:21   #162
BHPian

Duster it is for me for me , Looks + Space + not too many seats + Go anywhere look + Begging to ride hard look( do not ask me how i gauge this) + Colors + almost everything most importantly the price. I love this car and Hats off to Renault.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:59   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
In fact despite not voting for it, I was secretly hoping to see a lot more of the 3 series. Moreover I'm almost shocked at there being hardly any takers for the Maruti 800! I would've thought it might press the right buttons for a lot of folks. Again not to be!

Quite astonishing!!
The Duster/Ertiga onslaught was quite expected, but the 3 actually is doing pretty good in 3rd position. Not surprised with the numbers garnered by M800. Being an uninspiring entry-level car, most of us (members) may not be looking at it as an option. I have voted for it just for the reasons mentioned in my previous post(_)
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 12:23   #164
BHPian

Post re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The Duster/Ertiga onslaught was quite expected, but the 3 actually is doing pretty good in 3rd position. Not surprised with the numbers garnered by M800. Being an uninspiring entry-level car, most of us (members) may not be looking at it as an option. I have voted for it just for the reasons mentioned in my previous post(_)
Do allow me to clarify myself in case I might have been a tad hazy earlier. Without an iota of doubt, I was fully expecting the Duster and Ertiga to lead the race. All the same, I'm saying I was also half expecting the 3 to come a lot closer to them than it actually is in terms of percentage of votes garnered. That is why I said "a lot more of the 3"

And sure for the F30 to be in contention for a podium finish, is still very commendable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
A company with a bare-as-bones network launches a product in a cost conscious market where half the people do not even know how to pronounce the name of the company. The product manages to sell, (and how) carving out a niche for itself, leaving others in the dust. there must be something right about the product!
that qualifies it to be my car of the year - take a bow 'renolt' duster
disclaimer: i do not own a duster
You couldn't have articulated that any better mate

Yes, take a bow 'Renolt'.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 15:02   #165
BHPian

Ertiga it is for me, though Duster came a close second for me. Its just that I am looking towards a more mature family car as my next instead of a fun to drive SUV. Though Duster got the pricing right but the space in the second row and the AC vent is not what I really liked. Ertiga is a more complete product thought with no climate control even in ZDI but otherwise pretty much everything that I need in my next car. Flexibility in terms of seating a big bonus.
rattandip is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread