Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12th December 2012, 16:01   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Duster all the way for me! It's opened up a whole new segment that promises to be exciting in the days ahead. If I was in the market for a new car now, would have gone for the Duster. If only Renault improves on the interiors a little bit and introduces more safety features in the lower variants, it would tick all the boxes IMO.

1st runner-up: the new Elantra
2nd runner-up: Ertiga

Last edited by razor4077 : 12th December 2012 at 16:04.
Old 12th December 2012, 19:29   #167
srh
BHPian

Ertiga it is. New segment, right quality, right price. Perfectly tuned to the market requirements
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 19:34   #168
BHPian

The Duster has the potential to place Renault in the already crowed Indian automotive map. Its building on the Yeti's reputation of a compact urban suv. IMO the car's sales numbers only increase once its relaunched under the Nissan brand. One of the most revelant cars on the Indian roads in the present.
Old 12th December 2012, 23:19   #169
BHPian

Wink re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Duster it is ! It is not surprising to say that out of 19 cars on the list , this one has over 50 % of the votes !! It is the package , I believe is the rason for this car's super success in India. Although IMHO the top end models are not exactly VFM , but it is a game changer nonetheless .

PS : The launch of Ford Ecosport next year (if priced competitively), would be an amazing contest between them (The other one being the Duster) . It will be gathering a lot of fan votes in our forum for sure.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:17   #170
BHPian

Voted for Duster.Looks,Engine,Space-It has got all.
Heck, It has two engine-tunes for the diesel available suited according to your driving pattern/preference.Renault has a nice premium positioning in the Indian Auto Scene.
So, it is Duster all the way.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:17   #171
Senior - BHPian

Believe me, I voted right on opening the thread and there we go. Autominds think alike. Duster it is. Win hands down. I wished (or dreamed as always) Mitsubishi ASX or so called RVR comes in, and here it is. As Abba sings - The Duster takes it all. The losers has to fall.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:19   #172
BHPian

Elantra a super-hit? Rarely see them in Mumbai suburbs. Surprised to see that it is declared a super hit.

Voted for duster because it created a new segment, plus literally built renaults image in this country IMO. Though I am sure next year duster will be over-thrown by the ecosport, but that depends on fords pricing strategy.

second on top should be the renault scala. Good looks, good engine, great interiors and great pricing for a sedan in its segment IMO. Its just the luck factor I think the scala didnt have. Otherwise, it makes a very elegant sedan.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:34   #173
BHPian

Its back again ! just voted for Duster with out a second thought.

IMO
1 st runner up: Ertiga
2nd runner up: BMW new 3 series.

Chears!
Old 13th December 2012, 11:36   #174
Team-BHP Support

It just has to be the Renault Duster for me, as a vehicle that has captured everyone's attention. The debatable quality of interior plastics and rubber quality aside, it is a well-rounded package, which albeit should not have come with a hefty price tag.

With the cash registers ringing in the volumes, Renault has now attained the status of a mass market manufacturer in India. The Ecosport has the market waiting in anticipation for taking the fight to Renault.

So, +1 for the Duster from me.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:43   #175
Senior - BHPian

My vote was torn between the ertiga and the dezire - given the mass appeal and the affordability option. Maruti should get a manufacture of the year award for bringing out the Ertiga and the Alto - and also ensuring that there is a minimal waiting period for the top sellers, even with all their labor issues.
I would have voted for the Storme, if only if only, they did an all India launch and not a selective launch. I guess for the Car of the Year 2013- my vote will go to the storme, unless ofcourse - the new lancer comes in!
Old 13th December 2012, 11:44   #176
BHPian

Voted for the Renault Duster as it bought in new perspective and because of it now we'll get the Ford Ecosport, which I'm looking forward to.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:46   #177
BHPian

My vote goes for the duster. Finally a jackpot by Renault India. Pricing should have been a little lower for it to break all records.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:48   #178
BHPian

My vote went to Duster (not whole heatedly) because of a whole new car with a whole new look and fresh on the road. Its commercial hit too.

Maruti Alto 800 - I see this is a modified Alto, and not a whole new car.
Renault Pulse - Old wine in the same bottle with a new label
Chevrolet Sail U-VA - I have no much details, Not even seen one on the road.
Maruti Dzire - Old wine in a new bottle, may be a smaller bottle
Mahindra Quanto - Old wine in a shrunken bottle, with little bit of water added.
Maruti Ertiga - Who new, This is my second choice.
Renault Scala - Old wine in the same bottle with a new label
Renault Duster - My choice for the car of the year. I wish there could be a better car due to its price and slightly under-powered.
Nissan Evalia - Reviews are against this, not seen even a single vehicle on the road
Tata Safari Storme - New wine in a old bottle with better lable
Hyundai Elantra - There are better old cars in to compete. Not seen even one on the road so far.
Ssangyong Rexton - Reviews aren't saying much. Not seen one on the road so far.
Hyundai Sonata - Reviews aren't read good. Not seen one on the road so far.
Toyota Camry - PETROL!
Mercedes B-Class - Seen only on Demos, Not on the road. Also, This size-price proportion isn't acceptable in the name of luxury, sport etc. :-)
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - My third choice. I would have voted as No 1 if the price is 22L on road, it would also have been my next one. Price is on the upper side due to the CKD route?
Mini Cooper - Out of my reach.
Audi Q3 - Well, I do not think most of the team-bhpians could yet afford to get a TD even. May be after 5 years these cars too can join in the race and win.
BMW 3 Series - Same as Audo Q3

Last edited by agbenny : 13th December 2012 at 11:49.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:50   #179
BHPian

Duster would have been a good and or easy choice for me, should Renault had a 7 seater official version (heard that jump seats is possible with the blessings from Renault, but the fact remains it is a 5 seater for insurance and registration purposes). We still dont have a decent 5 to 7 seater convertibles. I still feel that there is an immense scope for a 5 to 7 seater UV in the likes of Ertiga with a decently powered 2 ltr engine. Though the Rexton would have been my choice, it is too early to say as we dont see any Rextons or road or for a Test Drive. Hence, my vote goes to Ertiga for its practicality, Maruti service, and decent looks.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:57   #180
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Duster.

IMO, it is a new platform, very much suitable (High GC) that is already forcing many car manufactures to introduce similar products.
Closed Thread