Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13th December 2012, 14:27   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Its 2, Ertiga and Duster, versus the rest.

Duster, surely opened a new segment, smashing looks with good ground clearance, something to look forward to owning, with terrific ride, big bootspace at a pricepoint, where our options are limited to plane jane cars. But is that enough?

The Ertiga too however opened up a new segment, with practicality like no other (7 seats, overhead AC vents). To add to that, is quite high on features for all passengers. When unladen, or lightly loaded, goes like a car. Infact the diesel is good fun, so is the free revving 1.4 K-series. Softly setup, ride Is good and the icing on the cake is that, it doesn't handle bad either. To me its a stretched Swift, which manages not to look van-like (which it actually is).

Ertiga gets my vote.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 14:35   #212
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Voted for Ertiga for its well rounded package, verstality and pricing.
Duster lost out on price and lack of features for the price they charge. Out of these two, I do like the Duster more. Wish I could have voted for it.

I have completely discounted the manufacturer, service network and other things related to after sales experience since that will always give Maruti a big advantage over the others.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 14:40   #213
BHPian

Default bmuu

It's quite clear the Duster is going to win even though it is IMHO as ugly a car as the Xylo. The runaway success of this horror is astonishing to me.

Was going to abstain from voting altogether, but voted for the 3-Series on the basis of its looks and because it's one of a handful of cars on that list which get me excited.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:48   #214
BHPian

The Renault Duster has ushered in a new change in the India automotive industry. Most of the other major players are scampering to launch a mini SUV after seeing the success of Duster. The sub-10 lakh SUV might be game changer for Renault in India. My vote goes to the Duster!
Old 13th December 2012, 15:08   #215
Senior - BHPian

The Duster does not warrant the attention it seems to be garnering. For all practical purposes it is a hatch on stilts with really bad (read 'cheap') interiors and is specced for the third world that we are expected to be. For what it is, it is also overpriced, never mind the base versions which are there just to be able to advertize a low 'starting from' price.

This market deserves much better than such a stripped offering, and it does get its due from other manufacturers who do not skimp.

My vote therefore goes to the vehicle that kick-started this genre of UVs - a very competent and well-kitted out vehicle, the Ertiga.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 15:10   #216
BHPian

I have voted for Renault Duster, as I feel it's a game changer from the mini SUV perspective
Old 13th December 2012, 15:17   #217
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Mini for the excellent overall package that if offers. Looks, versatility, engine characteristics and fun - this little Mini has it all!
Old 13th December 2012, 15:19   #218
BHPian

Duster for me. Good engine, rugged looks, practical and all this at a decent price point. Just what you need from a game changer.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:40   #219
BHPian

Except for the high price... Duster it is.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:41   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - My third choice. I would have voted as No 1 if the price is 22L on road, it would also have been my next one. Price is on the upper side due to the CKD route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Given that over 50% of the votes have gone to the Duster it does seem to be everyone's favourite. If I was in the market for an SUV the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport would be it. The Duster is a bit too spartan. In any case i do not off road unless you include the pot hole ridden Western Express Highway as "off road".

The Duster, Scorpio, XUV500, Fortuner, Endeavour, Pajero, Rexton etc.. dont really compete with sedans do they? I mean do you consider a Fortuner vs a Camry (or does the Camry only really compete against the Accord, Superb and Passat)?
As I mentioned Pajero Sport was my 2nd runner up, if the price was not on the higher side I am sure many SUV lovers would have voted for that.
I do not think people started loving SUVs all of sudden in this country where Jeep, Mahindra and Tata were existing for decades. But recently people who do not consider SUVs as off roaders started buying, a big-car-like is what they prefer. Hence the segment is heating up. It reminds me the good old discussion in another thread about SUVs vs rest. (Can't find the link).

BTW, I read the official sail u-va review just now, which has got good number of votes. Is late arrivals (year end arrivals) fail to make an impact in our hearts while voting. Its should get more votes, I assume. I see it a very capable car.

Last edited by agbenny : 13th December 2012 at 15:45.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:43   #221
BHPian

It's, as said by almost all, a duel between the Duster and the Ertiga. For me, the Duster edges forward due to the road presence and the engine options.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:57   #222
Tgo
BHPian

I vote for the Renault Duster.

I personally think that the car of the year should be bringing something new to the automotive industry.
2009: Nano
2010: Figo brought the nice sedan-like interior space at a very affordable package.
2011: XUV was the first Indian FWD cross over from a Jeep manufacturer.
Verna (the one I voted for) a close contender last year to the XUV brought equipment from a higher level into its segment.

Renault has done just that with the duster. Most important thing to highlight here is the fact that it has proper underpinnings that match the aggressive exterior. The interiors might be a let down for some but if it performs like a Toyota on the reliability front, I feel all the owners facing niggles will be more than happy for the coming 5-8 years. People driving Logans, Innovas and 800s will vouch for the fact???
Old 13th December 2012, 15:58   #223

Voted for Ertiga. Somehow this seems a more suitable option to me compared to the Renault Duster.
n.ananth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 16:08   #224
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Duster and was not surprised that its got a winning streak on this poll. Lets face it its a winner hands down. If you drive it you fall in love with it almost immediately. The only sore point i thought (no not cheap plastics, that can be overlooked, keeping the price it is offered for)was the thin gauge of the sheet metal. But then it would get heavier and the body to weight ratio would get warped, affecting performance and FE.

I think it is the ideal car for the city and highway, keeping its highway manners in mind. Bad roads dont affect it, in fact one can hardly feel the potholed roads of Bombay. One actually wonders if the BMC have fixed the roads overnight. The pick of the litter in this is the suspension. The French are known for the fantastic suspensions they dish out (Citroen, Renault, Peugeot) and they have lived up again with this one. Although its actually a Dacia but I believe the European car maker has learnt some lesson from its French friend.

So for me it is the Renault Duster....85/110 psi...whatever. If i were in the market for buying a compact SUV for city and highway driving, id choose this car hands down. Total VFM or as we say, Paisa Vasool!!
Old 13th December 2012, 16:23   #225
BANNED

For me its Ertiga, its well packaged UV for such low price. M vote goes to Ertiga.
jacksons is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread