Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13th December 2012, 21:00   #241

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

I vote for the ertiga because I use one, i seems to lag power but both the turbo and vgt works very effectively. internally quite versatile, it may not suit in any grade of SUV but surely is MPV.
calfrost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 21:28   #242
BHPian

I hoped it would be Maruti Ertiga. Was a disappointment. Its not a 7 seater, unless your name is snowwhite and you have seven little friends.

Voted for the Duster. It does have its flaws ( mostly the positioning of the switches/controls). After I read about how stable it was after a rear tyre blowout, I dint have to think any further. 4X4 Should be available :(.

Nissan Evalia is next. But I doubt it will make it. But good.

Maruti Dzire the car I used to hate, they have done a good job on it.

I haven't thought about a few cars because of safety.

Others I wouldn't even want to buy even If I had the money.
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 22:35   #243
BHPian

I voted for the renault duster.
Having used the renault /dacia logan, i am in awe of the build & ride quality the renault engineers have achieved and the mechanicals are also simple and reliable. Renault engines are smooth ,robust and can easily last in excess of 3 lacs of km.
If renault has learnt anything from the logan debacle , they must keep the service charges, service parts basket at par with the competition ( in this case tata/ maruti/ mahindra ).
I think their products are too good to be serious laggards in the indian auto sale charts.
Duster has began very well and may help in some way to better the image of renault as a top international automaker in the indian perspective.
Duster looks smart, more agile and has a very efficient diesel motor in the line up. It rides extremely well just like the logan on which platform duster was built. Its priced very well , though recent price hikes takes it further away a from a potential mid range sedan buyer.
Old 13th December 2012, 23:09   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Its close match for me between the Ertiga & Duster as both the Cars have broken traditional segments & created new ones.

I find the Ertiga a good vehicle for folks who don't want to buy big & expensive cars/SUV as they don't need that space daily yet need it for weekend runs & or for outings with friends & family.

So my Vote goes to Ertiga
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 23:38   #245
BHPian

I voted for the ertiga as it is a better vfm proposition.Besides duster clutch is very hard and gear needs work so the Ertiga is a much better product.
ahuja365 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 23:52   #246
BHPian

Definitely its going to be Renault Duster crowned as the COTY. Its easily amongst the best thing your money can buy for 2012.

Pros:

1. Offroading friendly (for most of the indian roads)
2. Design and Build.
3. Staggering mileage

Although i still wonder what were they thinking by

giving separate controls for controlling rear AC vents
and not giving
door pockets for rear seat passengers

Overall, a very fresh car to look out for on dusty indian roads
Old 14th December 2012, 03:58   #247
BHPian

I voted for Ertiga for opening up a new segment on Indian roads.
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 07:52   #248
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Duster, simply because it's a very sensible offering and creates a new segment. Given that roads in the city (Bangalore as an example) are riddled with several potholes, rough patches, etc you need a vehicle with good ground clearance that can effectively handle these. Also, the high stance helps with both city and highway driving. Size-wise also this is not huge like regular SUVs and hence is ideal for the smaller family but can also take all those bags for the longer trips plus the odd trip to lug larger objects around. At a sub 15Lakh rupee on road price tag makes it a good buy.
My second choice (if I had another vote) would be the Ertiga but that would be purely based on it's ability to carry 7 people in the city. It loses out to the Duster in terms of luggage space (inside the car) and stance/driving comfort.

Last edited by NPV : 14th December 2012 at 07:55.
Old 14th December 2012, 08:07   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I voted for Ertiga for opening up a new segment on Indian roads.
Absolutely. The first time I drove an Ertiga, I was amazed to see how competent it was as an MUV, without losing the better virtues (compact footprint and handling) of a car. A Jack of all trades which gets my vote.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 09:06   #250
BHPian

Voted for Duster. Renault, take a pat on your back. You had a humble start and you are delivering value. I hope that manufacturers get the message that a rightly priced product can do wonders. The volumes of Duster conveys the same. While ertiga might do better in volumes due to maruti's network, I'm not giving extra brownie points to ertiga as it is mostly a re-engineered MUV design with underlying SX4 platform and some ritz+swift parts. 1.4 K-series is an extension of K-1.2 with long stoke and 90 BHP diesel was already featured in SX4. It will be a first for Renault if it bags the iCOTY, and soon will open the gates (motivation that India is not biased to Hyundai and Maruti) for other manufacturers. If the ertiga wins coty award, it will be a bad for consumers. Its bad for competition as other manufacturers will not see value in investing further, will cut corners or launch out-of-date products or just re-engineered platform.
Old 14th December 2012, 09:42   #251
BHPian

Voted for the Renault Duster because
  1. The new segment it opens up
  2. Its feature, etc

Just hope Renault sorts out its service stations, niggling quality issues, etc.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:13   #252
BHPian

I would have voted for the Ford Ecosport if it had been launched this year, and most likely will buy and vote for it next year, but with the given choices, I've voted for the Duster. It created a new segment, is aspirational (SUV), and suits Indian roads and conditions. It's also a best seller, having gobbled up the sedan market.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:31   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Voted for Duster. Renault, take a pat on your back. You had a humble start and you are delivering value. I hope that manufacturers get the message that a rightly priced product can do wonders. The volumes of Duster conveys the same. While ertiga might do better in volumes due to maruti's network, I'm not giving extra brownie points to ertiga as it is mostly a re-engineered MUV design with underlying SX4 platform and some ritz+swift parts. 1.4 K-series is an extension of K-1.2 with long stoke and 90 BHP diesel was already featured in SX4. It will be a first for Renault if it bags the iCOTY, and soon will open the gates (motivation that India is not biased to Hyundai and Maruti) for other manufacturers. If the ertiga wins coty award, it will be a bad for consumers. Its bad for competition as other manufacturers will not see value in investing further, will cut corners or launch out-of-date products or just re-engineered platform.
You are suggesting that duster is all new platform (logan), all new engine (logan again), all new shape (existing dacia). I have nothing against duster nor do I own ertiga but the comparison has to be fair.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 10:34   #254
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Maruti Ertiga.

Then I see the trending and see that Renault Duster is quite picking up the dust !!!

But hey, I know its a good entry level SUV, but what about A.S.S and Quick Fix help ?

Ertiga takes the cake here, because you enter any lane of any city or rural areas, and yo - there is a guy who can service a Maruti !!!

I like the Duster, but Ertiga jumps a step ahead in terms of ownership and A.S.S
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 11:02   #255

Smile re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuja365 View Post
I voted for the ertiga as it is a better vfm proposition.Besides duster clutch is very hard and gear needs work so the Ertiga is a much better product.
All that glitters is gold to the Indian buyers, it would seem.
Closed Thread