Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14th December 2012, 22:48   #271

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

My vote is for DUSTER. Because of the amazing ride, handling and mileage of it, my vote is for DUSTER.
Old 15th December 2012, 01:33   #272
BHPian

DUSTER.

Forget the platform age, parts sharing, MPV vs SUV, blah blah blah...

The Ertiga will appeal to quite a lot for what it has to offer at its price point. There is no dispute is the fact that the Ertiga is not a full blown 7/8 seater. Just offers more space and a little bit of extra practicality compared to a similarly priced sedan. Hence even if it sells more than the segment leaders, that doesn't count for me since it is not a pure MPV.

The Duster too, many may argue, is not a full blown SUV. But it definitely is more an SUV than Ertiga is an MUV. And the latest I heard, its selling more than the Scorpio. In spite of it being a Renault! That speaks for the value of the product.

A Maruti MPV with the 1.3 Multijet under the hood would be a hot seller even if it had only 3 wheels! But not so for the Duster. It had to be GOOD for it to sell. And boy, it sells!! Hence the Duster deserves the TBHP-COTY more than the Ertiga.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 15th December 2012 at 01:34.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 11:27   #273
Senior - BHPian

My vote is for Duster.

For making the crossover segment affordable, igniting the sales chart and getting attention of other manufacturers. A very practical vehicle for city and highway. Amazing ride, good handling and mileage.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:06   #274
BHPian

I was highly skeptical of the 'Duster' when I first heard about it.

Then I drove a friends 110 PS Duster for three days on the pathetic roads of my home state - Himachal....Now I have just taken delivery of my very own Top end 100 PS Duster with the leather seats.

I am blown away by how good the Duster is...the ride and handling is superb over all road surfaces including the broken roads of Himachal - the engine pulls cleanly and is so silent compared to the Innova and the Fortuner. The 'Duster' drives likes a car and also has minimal Body roll compared to the big SUV's...a boon for passengers in the twisty hills.

The Interior might not be top notch and the factory fitted Music system is pathetic - but that aside the Duster is one great vehicle.

I also own a 2011 VW Passat that i bought last year and I love it...but the 'Duster' is a far more practical and usable vehicle considering the poor state of our nations roads. (The Roads in Himachal currently will break most cars to bits).

Due to some delay's in fund remittance - I had to wait for about 2 hours at the Renault dealer in Chandigarh before delivery. In those 2 hours - 5 Dusters were delivered to elated customers.

The Sales rep told they are delivering 15 Dusters a day !! in Chandigarh.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:11   #275
BHPian

I voted neither for Ertiga nor Duster but largely, this is now a two horse race. My choice? languishing in the middle row (aka Fillipe Massa).

But, I would still like to add my two pennies to the smoldering rivalry between ertiga and Duster propping up on this thread:

Starting with Duster:
1. Duster is not VFM. Not by competition standards, not even by its own standards. For a vehicle which borrows much of its existence from a 5-6L rupee car and powered by engines most suitable for mid-size hatchbacks, this vehicle in the price band of 10-12L is not VFM.

2. Quality of Plastics is mediocre in Duster and reliability is still unknown for Indian conditions. So, once again discussions around superior reliability and quality are just baseless.

3. To it advantage, this vehicle has captured the imagination of average Indian middle class sedan customer into spending a little wee bit extra and own a so-called SUV. A big shout here goes to the extremely clever marketing campaign by Renault India.

4. Duster also takes on the big brother SUVs of same price range with its light weight and smaller engine making it much more economical to run and be less like SUV.

Coming over to the Ertiga:

1. It is not comparable to Innova. Period.

2. The price is the sole reason here for massive sale figures. A taxi operator or large family owner with limited budgets can now aspire to travel with family or earn that extra 1-2 re/km without having to stump up extra 4-5L (in case of Innova).

3. For upper middle class large families, Innova is still the choice of vehicle as frankly ertiga has no way near the comfort levels of Innova.

4. The national engine provides excellent FE (great for Taxi/budget buyers) but is too underpowered with 7 onboard making it impractical for everyone except the two customer segments mentioned.

5. The quality and interiors are fresh and far better looking than Innova, I must admit but anyone with long-distance touring and necessarily not into 7 seats should rather go for Dzire if not any other manufacturer vehicle.

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 15th December 2012 at 12:13.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 12:14   #276
Senior - BHPian

Voted fro Duster, like the majority here. Can't see a better choice this time around!
Old 15th December 2012, 13:08   #277
BHPian

My vote is for Ertiga.
My heart said Duster and my brain insists on Ertiga.

Ertiga is a product very well suited for and needed by Indian automotive industry. India where family size often exceeds 4, till now a common man had a choice between UVs (with commercial vehicles/cabs image) and SUVs (not everyone's cup of tea). Versa, venture etc were never an option. Maruti has been able to understand and exploit the lack of options available in the segment very well.
anoop_lamba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 19:55   #278
BHPian

Duster it is for me! The very spartan-like feel of the car gets my nod. Renault's got the right product at the right time quite right this time . Somehow I see quite a few Dusters here in Dubai as well. And that interest has made a big difference to the sales of the others in the herd including Safrane and Koleos. Ertiga does come a close second, albeit I think the Duster deserves the laurel for a lovely new product altogether. Cheers.

Champion
Old 15th December 2012, 20:26   #279
BHPian

Quite tough between Ertiga and Duster with both having some negative points. Both shall give tough time to Sedans. IMO Duster scored where Skods Yeti lacked. Voting for Duster.

IMO SAIL UVA was underdog here with national diesel engine and also competent petrol engine. In power to weight ratio in petrol it loses to Swift and lightest Liva and is close to i20. Despite of 1050 kg kerb weight, it is reported to be averagely build (team-bhp review). It should iron out some negatives like steering feel at high speed and it should succeed.
Old 15th December 2012, 22:03   #280
Senior - BHPian

After a lot of thought voted for the Duster. Sure its far from being perfect, but a single launch changed the fortunes of Renault in India. How often did we discuss Renault before the Duster's launch ?

Now its a regular to the 5k club. So for changing the fortunes of Renault in India, duster it is for me!
Old 15th December 2012, 22:36   #281
BHPian

To me it was a no-brainer. Voted for the BMW 3 Series.
I understand that its several times more expensive than the other cars on the list, but this is the COTY and not the bargain of the year Iíve driven one and it feels several times better than the rest. Even after keeping the price in mind.
Old 15th December 2012, 23:04   #282
Senior - BHPian

Remember the time when reliance introduced cdma and created tides in communication industry.

Same thing happend with the introduction of duster into the sedan range. Though high variants are bluntly priced but still 85 ps version looks vfm to me, peace. Suddenly everyone is trying to enter the said segment be it maruti or hyundai.

Would i buy duster for my self ? No, i cannot take cheap interors of duster, as much i hate network issues of reliance phones. Again peace :-)
ashthedivx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 11:14   #283
BHPian

I am voting for my Skoda Yeti. Eight and a half months and touching 22,000 Kms on it, I am happy with it. I wanted a comfortable vehicle that can take rough roads easily. The driving experience is good. Passengers travelling a whole day, still feel fresh when stepping out of the Yeti.
I know full well that Yeti will not find acceptance as somebody else's car of the year. But to repeat, it is My car of the year
Old 16th December 2012, 11:30   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthump View Post
I know full well that Yeti will not find acceptance as somebody else's car of the year. But to repeat, it is My car of the year
Sir Skoda Yeti is not a car launched this year and is not competing for the award. You might want to reconsider your decision .
Old 16th December 2012, 11:31   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthump View Post
I am voting for my Skoda Yeti. Eight and a half months and touching 22,000 Kms on it, I am happy with it. I wanted a comfortable vehicle that can take rough roads easily. The driving experience is good. Passengers travelling a whole day, still feel fresh when stepping out of the Yeti.
How will you vote for the Yeti? A bit too late I guess. IIRC, Yeti was there in the 2010 voting list
Closed Thread