Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17th December 2012, 18:25   #301
BHPian

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

It was quite a close call for me.Clicked Ertiga and then switched to Duster. I personally may not buy a duster but it has kind of shaken the categories. More entrants to this mini SUV category are welcome. Next best option was Ertiga. Others, as per me, could be termed as 'also ran'
Old 17th December 2012, 18:46   #302
BHPian

Post re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Folks: does anyone think the Ertiga can catch up? Or do we have a winner already with a shade over 10 days to go for the poll to close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Is it essential to puchase the car voted as COTY ?
Alright Ashish that is a typo there so allow me to clarify real quick mate. All I meant was to ask was whom you'd voted for since you specifically ruled out buying the Duster for yourself.

I wasn't, even for a second, trying to suggest/hint that it is essential to purchase the car voted as the COTY.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 17th December 2012 at 18:48.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:42   #303

I would love to see the new Elantra as COTY 2012, loved that car. Unfortunately it has got some good contender.

1. Swift Dzire : The new look on Dzire just grows with time. It is a super hit in the market. It is also a lot refined as compared to the previous Dzire. Over an all a tough competitor to all other cars in the same segment.

2. Renault Duster: Oh, boy! It just did a "Veni, Vidi, Vici" in the segment of UV's . Awesome machine,

3. Suzuki Ertiga: It is really an LUV, This is really a nice and practical car.

There are others too but I think these are the main. The reason I may choose Elantra is it was a market dud and then did the Clark Kent to superman avatar. So voted for Elantra.
Old 18th December 2012, 00:00   #304
BHPian

Voted for the Elantra as it does most of the things well. It offers most of the tech which cars of this class need to offer as a default and don't. Though Duster is doing well, it asks too much moolah for a car that is BUDGET CLASS (elsewhere) and for its features. It might be built well, but its intention was to provide budget motoring. Just because, it found an opening it probably should not have placed itself at this price point. Production line assemblies should not charge such a premium. However, the lack of any product at this price point might well have created this opportunity. But, who am I to complain, Renault's decision is paying rich dividends. It is by no means a bad vehicle. On another note I would like to see the B Class do well and deliver for Merc. We need more competition at this level for a much needed correction in prices of automobiles sold in India. (please look out for prices in other countries for similar products, A Santa Fe is available at 30,000 USD). the reasons may be many and I might be going off topic here, so period. The new Alto 800, is a retrograde approach by the market leader. If Maruti wins all races, we will be taken back to a time of Fiats and Ambys with no one to bell the cat. The 3 series is my favorite entry level executive car to drive and it needs no votes. It is a testament to itself - Hail THE 3. However, BMW should up the game and offer all the features that are default in its models in other developed nations. Thanks!
Old 18th December 2012, 10:45   #305
BHPian

My vote goes for Ertiga. It seems to be a decent package from MS especially the use of the National Diesel Engine and value for money pricing. Renault on the other hand is a decent package indeed, however my reservations on the scanty dealer network and the availability of spares in a small town like mine presently might be an issue. May the best one win and I am glued to this thread big time.
Ahmed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 16:27   #306
Senior - BHPian

For the mods, why dont we have a Bike of the Year poll created in the Motorbikes section?
Old 19th December 2012, 11:55   #307

Voted for the Duster.
Created a new segment. practical and can be used as family of 4 car with space for extended family. Drops to airport is a piece of cake. Travelling to the vacation home @ 600 - 1000 kms is very comfortable. Butch stance, confident, does not feel cheap. commanding road presence. Yes service network is questionable but I guess that will develop if there isa demand for the car. WE always claim Maruti gas the best service network but ine reason for it is because they sell in high volumes that have automatically created the service network.
Cheerio!
Old 19th December 2012, 12:15   #308
BHPian

Voted for Duster.

Simple reasons. It was such an obvious idea which, as we now know, was not that obvious. Or else, how do you explain such sales of a car from a brand which many in Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities do not even know of. Yes Ertiga, you may say, also belong to the same segment but coming from Maruti stable the response to the car was pretty much expected. If I were to chose COTY, I would give it to Duster hands down given the pedigree (or the absence of it) of the brand and it still managing to get so much attention (and of course sales too which matters at the end of the day).
Old 19th December 2012, 12:42   #309
BHPian

It is definitely going to be the Duster by a long margin. It serves the purpose of a regular sedan with the boot space and ground clearance of an SUV. I know there is no 4*4 but we have to understand that not even 1% of the Duster buyers are ever going to take it off tarmac.
Old 19th December 2012, 17:05   #310
BHPian

I voted Duster. I don't really like the look of the car/mini-SUV and so unlikely to buy it, but it sure created a buzz.
Old 19th December 2012, 20:13   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

So wish the EcoSport had been in the list. That would have been a fair competition for the Duster, instead of competing with an MUV. Though not an SUV/crossover enthusiast, Duster would have been the COTY choice for me, if atleast it had 2 usable seats in the rear.

The Ertiga is thus my COTY choice because it meets the Indian need of moving more than 5 people at the cost of a C-segment sedan, without having to move around the bulk of an Innova/Xylo and this with the car-like driving feel and versatile engine options. And all this at a great price and without any compromise on FE.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 11:41   #312

Smile re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

I voted for the Duster. Why?

Created a whole new segment in India, which we were all desperately looking for, as proven by the sales figures.

Commanding road presence. Fantastic ride quality. Extremely fuel-efficient. High ground clearance ideal for taking on broken or water-logged roads of our country.

For the above attributes, I'm willing to forgive the not-so-VFM pricing and the yet-to-be-proven service capability!

And the most important reason why I voted for the Duster? Hey! I own one and am madly in love with the beast!
Old 20th December 2012, 12:32   #313
BHPian

Duster for me.

Created a whole new segment.
Old 20th December 2012, 13:05   #314
BHPian

I voted for the Duster .

It was a close call between the Duster and Ertiga.But i voted for the Duster because here is vehicle which was the first to arrive to the new mini suv segment (Which i have been waiting for ages).Its size is right for the city and has great ground clearance for bad roads and is priced right.
Old 20th December 2012, 13:46   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

The way it is looking the thread might as well be closed and the winner declared.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread