Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20th December 2012, 17:35   #316
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

For the Buzz it has created and the dust it has raked up post its stormy entrance. It just has to be the leader in the Poll.

Congrats Renault

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
For the mods, why dont we have a Bike of the Year poll created in the Motorbikes section?
I agree. two wheels does not mean half the machine

I wish we could have an 'Offroader of the year' ~ esp with all the VFM choices we have.
Old 20th December 2012, 17:41   #317
BHPian

Of-course Renault Duster by a handsome margin..
Old 20th December 2012, 18:00   #318
BHPian

For me it is the Ertiga as it answers my needs more closely: price, comfort on long drives, can choose the petrol engine. I would never imagine more than four persons in my car, just to keep the breathing each other bit under control. Third row goes for luggage and other gear.
gostel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 01:02   #319
BHPian

I am a bit surprised that the Alto 800 has gotten so few votes. Agreed that it isnt a segment creator like Duster, but it sells as many, if not more than the combined sales of all the other cars in this list!! We are giving it far less credit that what it truly deserves.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:05   #320
BHPian

For all its style, and good substance, of the Duster, the humble and utilitarian Ertiga wins it for me. While Maruti reliability & A$$, frugal yet effective engines, decent ride and adquate handling help it through the qualifying round, the brilliant packaging giving it all that versatility and reasonable pricing make it a winner.

I'm also surprised that Alto and DZire have got so few votes. Perhaps the consumer somehow does not recognize these already successful cars as new launches unlike the 2011 Verna that came as a breathtakingly new package.
Old 21st December 2012, 17:04   #321
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
I am a bit surprised that the Alto 800 has gotten so few votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
I'm also surprised that Alto and DZire have got so few votes.

I see the GTO effect in the result, not the Duster effect! Had GTO voted last, or the result was made public only after the poll is complete, the result would have been more balanced than this, as Alto, Quanto, DZire, Elantra etc would have managed to get more votes.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 17:25   #322
BHPian

Post re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I see the GTO effect in the result, not the Duster effect! Had GTO voted last, or the result was made public only after the poll is complete, the result would have been more balanced than this, as Alto, Quanto, DZire, Elantra etc would have managed to get more votes.
Whoa that is a little condescending to all the members who voted for the Duster or even those that didn't vote for the cars you mention, innit!

I think each BHPian has amply substantiated his vote with his/her set of reasons. We're a fairly highly 'car-educated' community to be prejudiced into getting swayed toward one single car right?

GTO has merely stated the reasons why each of those cars on the list can stake a rightful claim to be T-BHP's COTY. As matter-of-factly as it gets. Feel free to correct me here GTO; but even if he were to have voted last, as I see it the result wouldn't have been much different.

BTW in an earlier post on this same thread (Page 11), even I had expressed a certain amount of shock and surprise that the Alto 800 and the 3 weren't doing any better that they actually were; but to suggest that the poll is a 'GTO effect' is a bit extreme, isn't it buddy?!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...2012-a-11.html

Last edited by Omtoatom : 21st December 2012 at 17:32.
Omtoatom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 17:50   #323
BHPian

For the analysis pundits, it might have been nice to have another column stating when it was introduced (month, year). The results as of date tell me that Duster is firstly a closest representation of VFM calculated with maximum attributes under looks, price, performance heads. This poll also demonstrates a broader Indian urban preference and no wonder Ertiga seems to be a close choice - not for the votes polled alone, but a spider web high score on all round attributes.

Secondly, it appears to be the freshest in mind - it is visible in sufficient numbers on the road since its launch, and hence I presumed date of launch matters, that too without the hue and cry over bookings wait listed, and so on, as was the case with XUV. I am saying this without looking at individual sale numbers, but that perhaps these factors on marketing and distribution seem to play on perceptions. Duster is not an eye sore, nor is it a brute that commands fear, and reflects on our charts well!

While I voted for Duster, I am personally biased towards my 7 seater Innova that I drive and I can only imagine that I would vote for it had it made it to this list. The doubt I have is what if I had to buy my Innova today? Would I have settled for a Duster instead?
Old 21st December 2012, 17:51   #324
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Whoa that is a little condescending to all the members who voted for the Duster or even those that didn't vote for the cars you mention, innit!
Sorry if my comments hurt any one, but those were my personal opinion only. What I was saying is, this poll should actually be more balanced than this superior majority of Duster or the 400+ votes for Ertiga, as many contenders deserve more than what they got.
Old 21st December 2012, 18:04   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost everyone who has voted has mentioned the reason as well. I don’t think we need to read too much into what influenced the decision to vote etc. In the last few years we have credible winners here – especially if that model offers something new to the market.

I have not voted for the Duster/Ertiga (or for that matter the XUV last year), but I can very well understand that why these cars have garnered the maximum no. of votes.
Old 21st December 2012, 18:35   #326
BHPian

My vote goes to the Renault Duster. It is one of the most economical and practical SUVs around. Something that an average Indian has been waiting for a long time. It sure is to become a big hit in Tier 2 and Tier 3 towns due to it's practicality. A close second was the Ertiga - again an affordable MUV. I have driven the Duster and love the way it handles on asphalt as well as gravel tracks. It sure is pretty composed. A vehicle truly made for the 'unstopable Indian' !

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 21st December 2012, 18:54   #327
BHPian

Post re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Sorry if my comments hurt any one, but those were my personal opinion only. What I was saying is, this poll should actually be more balanced than this superior majority of Duster or the 400+ votes for Ertiga, as many contenders deserve more than what they got.
Oh come on, no stress mate. Don't think anyone here construed it as hurtful or anything thereabouts; just that your post implied that a certain amount of bias has made its way into the poll. I was merely saying that that was not the case. In the car universe, we're educated and independent enough to make our own informed choices and support them with appropriate reasons. That is what makes us Team BHP right.

Like I said earlier, even I was taken aback by what I was seeing in the poll. I'd also commented how it was surprising to see the Duster and Ertiga running away with it. The lack of better showing by the likes of an Alto 800, 3 series, Elantra etc. had me stumped too. However the fact remains that an overwhelming majority of BHPians that think the Duster is the COTY for varied reasons. That is just how it is.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 21st December 2012 at 18:57.
Omtoatom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 20:07   #328
BHPian

People no need to fight over this! I think both the duster and the Ertiga are proof enough that this market is now evolving beyond a basic functional vehicle. Please look at the november sales figures posted earlier this month. It pretty much shows a similar trend. Kudos to both these innovative vehicles which actually are desirable as well as highly utilitarian. I think both of these are equally capable of making you think "where do you want to go next?".
cUjO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 23:21   #329
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

My choice is the Renault Duster. A very practical car, and one that appealed a lot to everyone. The second contender for me was the Audi Q3 but it's out of reach of most of the people. The Duster I feel ticked the 80-90% of the boxes right for everyone (aam junta + car lovers) and that's what I feel is the strength of this car.
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:47   #330
Senior - BHPian

Since this polling is for "Your Car of the Year 2012?", I first tried to list down my requirements/expectations form the car & then from the plethora of launches in 2012, tried to check which one came closest to ticking a majority of my boxes: (The list below is not necessarily in the order of preference)
  1. A higher seating position to get a good view of the road ahead.
  2. Ample ground clearance, to take the mighty humps or back breaking potholes with aplomb
  3. My family of five (would be six next year) should be able to travel with their holiday luggage travel for hundreds of kms in a day comfortably & feel refreshed at the end of the day
  4. My aging parents should be able enter & exit the car multiple times in a day without breaking their back.
  5. Rear seat passengers should not be deprived of traveling in comfort, hence rear AC vents is a necessity & not a luxury
  6. Fuel efficiency should be best in class
  7. A powerful engine which should not run out of breath on the highways
  8. Regular maintenance should not burn a hole in my pocket
  9. The onroad price should not break the 10 lakh barrier (Budget could be stretched if the car proves its worth)
It was a close fight between the Duster & the Ertiga. However Duster fared poorly on points # 3 & 5. Point # 8 is an unknown territory for both these UVs. Haven't test driven the Duster yet, but just one TD of the Ertiga was enough to bowl me over. It ticks most of my boxes above. Hence it was the obvious COTY choice for me.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread