Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26th December 2012, 14:00   #346
Senior - BHPian

As a Fusion (P) owner myself, I can vouch for all the thoughts you've penned down.
Fusion was well ahead of its time and had it stood in this poll today, it would've given Duster a run for its money. Good thing is that EcoSport, which looks like a worthy replacement of Fusion will do it for Ford, subject to pricing.
All said and done I feel Duster has butch looks and ability to glide over bad roads smoothly is one area that lacks to some extent in Fusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
For me it's a choice between the Duster and the Ertiga.

I start by asking myself, which car can be a replacement for my trusted Ford Fusion?[*]Again, the biggest -ve for me is that I have most (if not all) of the + ve's listed above in my 7 year old Fusion, why should I upgrade and empty my purse?

End of the day, neither car makes the cut, so I keep the Fusion . If I really have to choose, It would be on the basis of the -ve's listed above and the price.

So, Ertiga it is for me.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 15:01   #347
BHPian

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

The cars that i shortlisted was Ertiga and Quanto, both cars created new sub segments like mini MUV / mini SUV , i voted for ertiga for giving us Indians a cheaper substitute for Innova. Congrats for Mahindra for their quanto, nice effort. Need to concentrate on that anaemic tyres that looks like pahalwan with polio legs
shiju.dba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 20:21   #348
BHPian

The Duster it is, for me.

While there were many other releases including the Maruti onslaught, the Duster created an "aspirational" SUV which is not really beyond reach of a middle class double-income single kid kinda family. Step beyond that and you have the XUV500 which is much larger but crosses the mental 10-12L barrier (read: too expensive). And while TATA may try its best to lure people into the Safari and Mahindra into the Scorpio, the Duster has also created a more "cross-over" type of segment in that more women drivers also would love to drive one (read: the wife has been asking for one for the past 4 months).

If Renault can quit acting like conjoined twins with Nissan and create a bit of a different brand identity (like VW), I am sure their success story will only grow in our market.
Old 27th December 2012, 08:55   #349
BHPian

My vote went to the Sail UV-A. The Sail is a really nice car. Brilliant packaging - the space is nearly comparable to a Jazz, decent interiors (perhaps a notch over Swift) and competent engines. In person, the car looks quite nice with a mini-Cruze look. It is also priced exceedingly well.

If marketed smartly, this can easily be the segment king - occupying a position which the Jazz *should* have held. It will certainly invade the Ertiga's territory, being a 5 seater notwithstanding.

This is a package which cannot be ignored!
Old 27th December 2012, 10:34   #350
BHPian

The poll closes tomorrow guys and we seem to be on course to have a clear winner. From pole position all the way to the chequered flag!

Unless of course, there are any last minute twists in the tale as it happens so often in the movies! Or like Manchester United coming from behind to score an injury-time winner!
Old 27th December 2012, 11:24   #351
BHPian

My voting decision was made primarily on one criterion. Which car I would buy on an impulse decision, though keeping the price and reviews in mind. The conclusion: Duster!
Old 27th December 2012, 12:47   #352
BHPian

My choice would be Renault Duster; purely because of the VFM and the intelligent positioning of the vehicle.
Old 28th December 2012, 10:06   #353
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Garnering nearly 55% of the votes and completely dominating this year's poll, the Renault Duster is Team-BHP's Car of the Year 2012.

What a year it's been for Renault. The brand was practically invisible in 2011. One relevant product in an untapped segment is all that it took for Renault to become a household name (relatively). The Renault-Nissan combine has now also overtaken VW-Skoda & Honda.

Equally, the challenge for Renault is to evolve beyond being a "one trick" pony. The Scala, Pulse, Fluence etc. are going nowhere. There's a plethora of other compact SUVs coming, so the Duster isn't going to enjoy this advantage forever. What will Renault do to enhance the volumes of its sub-10 lakh hatchbacks & sedans?

Over to you, Renault.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 12:10   #354
Senior - BHPian

Success of the Duster can be a case study for management students (and even for the top management in car companies).
Not so popular brand, weak sales/service network, car which itself not perfect (everybody I spoke to (non t-Bhpians) mentioned about cheap interior quality) and most importantly not a established/proven segment/body style.
One can argue that it is selling (and got the voting here) because of the value it delivers but Ford Fusion was build around similar value (just short on the boot space perhaps).
Anyway I am happy because I always believed in Duster type of vehicle as against a typical sedan
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 12:26   #355
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Renault and Duster-owners!

To be frank, Duster and Ertiga holding on to the top 2 positions was sort of expected. What surprised me was BMW 3 series at #3 and Hyndai Elantra at #4.

Look at it this way:
1. All top-4 are 10L and above bracket (OTR). Is the preference of Indians (or possibly just the TBHPians) increasingly tilting towards bigger and more expensive cars?
2. There is not even a single candidate in the top-4 which belongs to the mass-market (viz. hatches and C1/C2 segment sedans). There is clearly a gap between cars which people 'buy' and cars which people 'like'. Reinforces the Indians being practical and realistic stereotype.

Last edited by SDP : 28th December 2012 at 12:27.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 12:57   #356
BHPian

Ford Fusion and renault duster are two completely different cars and they look like they belong to different segments. The duster is a mini suv whereas the ford fusion is a hatch.

The difference is that the fusion was overpriced and the duster is just a lil overpriced but people are not willing to pay so much for an overpriced hatch but they are willing to pay a lil extra for a mini suv like the duster which ticks all the right boxes.
Old 28th December 2012, 15:11   #357
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBhadwar View Post
Ford Fusion and renault duster are two completely different cars and they look like they belong to different segments. The duster is a mini suv whereas the ford fusion is a hatch.

The difference is that the fusion was overpriced and the duster is just a lil overpriced but people are not willing to pay so much for an overpriced hatch but they are willing to pay a lil extra for a mini suv like the duster which ticks all the right boxes.
technically in current avtar duster is no different from fusion in tackling off road situations(gurus can put better light on that).
It is actually the suv looks for which people are willing to pay premium. My father says duster looks more robust than our fusion, but he doesnt know that fusion was euroNCAP 4 star rated as against the 3 star rating of duster.
Ask any joe, he will say he doesnt need 4x4 in daily routine and that is ok for his reason, but simply without 4x4 no car cuts as an suv whatever its flares suggest.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 15:18   #358
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep I guess Duster did deserve to win and yes as GTO mentions Renault needs to do a lot to get their other products noticed some changes in the products itself to make them more desirable and exciting for the buyers would help starting with the Engine power output and the feature set. Looks of most Renaults are fine I guess.
Old 28th December 2012, 17:18   #359
Senior - BHPian

Move over hatchbacks; The SUV's / MUV's are coming.

Wow; a 73 odd % votes shared between the Duster and Ertiga. The VFM Alto (which basis T-BHP review is a new and improved Alto at the same price) failed to touch even 2%. A clear indication of which way the market is leaning.
Old 28th December 2012, 18:34   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
All top-4 are 10L and above bracket (OTR). Is the preference of Indians (or possibly just the TBHPians) increasingly tilting towards bigger and more expensive cars?
Not really. The reason I'd say is that the mass market did not see much action. No hatch or C1/C2 sedan was launched which deserved a second glance or to be talked about.

COTY should go to the car which created a name for itself, by competing with the segment leader, and giving a tough fight. And not just to the car that sells the numbers. The Duster did fight, and has duly won.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread