Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28th December 2012, 19:25   #361
BHPian

Post Re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Many congratulations to Renault on this overwhelming margin of victory. It is no mean achievement that the Duster has managed to garner more votes than all the rest of the cars out together. Just goes to show the kind of feat they have managed to achieve and the lasting impact the Duster has made to our motoring landscape.

However the challenge for them from now on, will not just be to sustain this momentum, but also to ensure that they get an even bigger foothold in the Indian market through varied and competitive product offerings. The Duster cannot be a one-off thing. That to me, will be a real challenge.

For now though, enjoy your victory!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 28th December 2012 at 19:28.
Old 28th December 2012, 20:07   #362
BHPian

Default Re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Kudos to Renault team that they have made a CAR/UV become so successful with all the odds against it - minimal service network, no major success prior to this, only urban visibility.
Now the tougher road lies ahead, to replicate similar successes with other models. Competition is good!!!
Old 28th December 2012, 21:56   #363
MHG
BHPian

Agree with what GTO said. Now the best way to carry things forward for Renault is to manufacture and launch the next generation Clio (a true Renault unlike the Dacia Duster) in India (and while at it make it sub-4m instead of the current few centimeters above 4 meters to avail tax benefits) and give it all the bells and whistles of equipment (7 airbags, ABS+EBD+ESP, etc) and the 110PS tuned K9K engine to make it the hot hatch everyone has forever been waiting for that can dethrone the i20 as the best hatch in the market. I'm sure it'll have a HUGE market in India because judging by the i20 sales numbers, the masses are slowly accepting the fact that a big well equipped hatch has lots of practicality....
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 23:51   #364
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Not really. The reason I'd say is that the mass market did not see much action. No hatch or C1/C2 sedan was launched which deserved a second glance or to be talked about.

COTY should go to the car which created a name for itself, by competing with the segment leader, and giving a tough fight. And not just to the car that sells the numbers. The Duster did fight, and has duly won.
I believe, you and me are saying the same thing.

Duster and Ertiga have practically created new segments and have offered a compelling package at such a competitive price-point, that they deserve to top the COTY.

Its about creating excitement and offering tremendous value (features, safety, aspirational). On the other hand, the hatches and C1/C2 sedans have been rehashing the same stuff for so many years now that people do not see anything new/exciting there.
Old 29th December 2012, 14:16   #365
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I believe this also displays that the choice of Indian car buyers is shifting from small cars to largerer cars that offer much more comfort, safety features & are practically value for money.

With the launch of cars like Mahindra Quantro & other SUV launches lined up in sub-4 meter segment, hatchbacks will have a tough time clocking increasing sales figures every month.

Also, a large number of urban families are now having atleast two well earning members thus buying a big car is no more a distant dream.

Thanks,
Old 29th December 2012, 16:00   #366
BHPian

Just noted 3 points made by Gaurav Gill on one of the news channels today. The size, fuel economy and prize of the vehicle are indeed very valid parameters why the Duster claimed this title. Above all for me it is quite a looker, I mean look at the Hyundai Tucson, almost similar in size but looks wise , doesn't touch many hearts, does it?
Old 29th December 2012, 16:47   #367
Senior - BHPian

Yoo hoo! Am happy that the Duster is winning so many accolades.
Just reinforces what I ve been thinking and stating all along.
They should have brought the Duster in first or second instead of leading off with the Samsung Koleos which is a bit of a dud and the Fluence could also have been delayed along with the Pulse.
On account of the Duster's sheer merit and richly deserved popularity, all their other vehicles also may have benefited.
My only lasting regret is their not giving us the top euro spec Duster with 4x4 and all the safety kit.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 17:13   #368
Senior - BHPian

Renault Duster, the right selection for the coveted TBhp car of the year crown. And it is telling it like it is, created a new niche segment and triumphed. And true to the saying the proof of the pudding is in the eating, we get to see a lot of Dusters on the roads these days. may their tribe increase.
Old 31st December 2012, 10:40   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yoo hoo! Am happy that the Duster is winning so many accolades.
Just reinforces what I ve been thinking and stating all along.
They should have brought the Duster in first or second instead of leading off with the Samsung Koleos which is a bit of a dud and the Fluence could also have been delayed along with the Pulse.
On account of the Duster's sheer merit and richly deserved popularity, all their other vehicles also may have benefited.
My only lasting regret is their not giving us the top euro spec Duster with 4x4 and all the safety kit.
+1 to shankar's comments. Just hope that the 4x4 and other safety kits will be offered in 2013 Maybe the Nissan version or VW has something up their sleeves to offer in this segment.

Wishing all the TBHPians a very Happy New Year 2013!! Have fun and Drive safe
Old 31st December 2012, 23:05   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Popularity for a model is a double edged sword and the long term success would largely depend on how happy the initial customers are. I hope they give due importance to after sales unlike the other Europeans before it is too late. Currently, it is labelled as 'Unknown/Yet to be seen' and people are willing to take the risk but it would be very difficult to get out of the 'bad' image if you get it once.

We've already started seeing customer complaints and incompetence of Renault Authorised service personnel to fix the issues, atleast in some parts of the country.

An ongoing example from TBHP, though the owner is still happy with the car:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...or-carpet.html

I just hope Renault India would put some serious efforts very soon in ensuring every customer gets a good ownership experience from their cars. That is the best way they can reward the customers who were brave enough to risk their money on a 'not-so-popular' brand with unknown after sales track record. I see this as the best way to spend at least their marketing budget, if they dont have budget for this under any other header. Let the common man speak for the brand just like they do for a Maruti instead of full page ads in newspapers or TV commercials every now and then.
Old 1st January 2013, 09:43   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

We've already started seeing customer complaints and incompetence of Renault Authorised service personnel to fix the issues, atleast in some parts of the country.

I just hope Renault India would put some serious efforts very soon in ensuring every customer gets a good ownership experience from their cars. That is the best way they can reward the this n.
Give 'em a chance! I would draw a query towards tried and tested manufacturers like Mahindra and Tata etc in terms of track record too, given their extensive networks!
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:06   #372
BHPian

congrats Duster. I bought Hyundai i10 in December, 2007, and it was awarded car of the year 2007. Now I decided to upgrade my garage and booked Duster in December, 2012, it is awarded car of the year 2012. What a happy co incidence.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:22   #373
BHPian

Duster is a great package for the price, but its surprising and disappointing that the most popular 2012 car here on tbhp is one that has questionable safety credentials.

The top spec duster (ESP, 6 airbags, etc) scored a measely 3 stars on the Euro NCAPs last year.

I am guessing if you were to test the India spec Duster, it would barely muster 2 stars.
bobbafett is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:31   #374
BHPian

Renault has put up a 'Thank You' ad in 'The Hindu' acknowledging the car of the year awards from top sites/auditors.

Team-BHP, this thread honor, is listed in the ad
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 16:09   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
Duster is a great package for the price, but its surprising and disappointing that the most popular 2012 car here on tbhp is one that has questionable safety credentials.
The top spec duster (ESP, 6 airbags, etc) scored a measely 3 stars on the Euro NCAPs last year.
I am guessing if you were to test the India spec Duster, it would barely muster 2 stars.
Fair enough. But let's take some of the other contenders in the race - Maruti Alto 800, Maruti Dzire, Mahindra Quanto, Maruti Ertiga, Nissan Evalia, Tata Safari Storme. Do they even have a crash test result? The point is yes, Duster scored only 3 stars, but some of the other popular cars are even more pathetic. In India, there is no organization, yet, which promotes safety or crash tests. And, the value of safety features is close to nil for majority of the people. Look at the sales of mid variants of cars like Swift where creature comforts are there, but no safety features. These mid models are the ones which sell the most. I would tell that Renault understood the market perfectly in this sense, just like Maruti-Suzuki. Engineer the car for the target audience, do not over engineer. If people are looking for tin-boxes with power windows, music system and the like, give them that! Even the government doesn't bother, then why would the manufacturer be? Awareness will come, slowly but surely and people will move away from flimsy cars. Then, the manufacturers will listen.
Closed Thread