Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2012, 17:08   #46
BHPian

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Voted for the Duster for bringing an competitive product at a decent price.
Old 6th December 2012, 17:08   #47
BHPian

it is really is a toss up between the Ertiga and the Duster, but finally decided to vote for the Ertiga.
The Duster is doing wonderfully well, and has really captured the middle classes imagination with an "affordable" SUV, given the price range for the product. But as a product. it really no big deal (no offrense to any Duster owner in this forum). it is all about cost cuttingg, reusing a very old Logan platform, and giving basic interiors etc. It is really the poor man's SUV with decent enough performance. i think once the initial excitement dies down, the Duster craze will simmer out.
The Ertiga on the other hand is a much more important product and a "lambi race ka ghora". It is a well thought out product, the most genuine 7 seater in that dmensions and price range. Take the shaved out Xylo/Quanto in comparison and you will understand what i am trying to say. While Mahindra and (possibly) Tata are trying to hack down an SUV to smaller size, Nissan changed a city van into a passenger carrier, Maruti Suzuki thought of changing a hatchback to a 7 seater. And of all these experiments, I feel the Ertiga is the best result. It has a much better ride than some hacked out Suv, very good road presence, a balanced engine, the right level of refinement, and teaming it all up with the Maruti reliability, it is really the most value for money product in the market compared to even the Duster.

One must also keep in mind that the Duster maybe doing wonders for the newbiew Renault and is changing their fortunes, but Maruti too was facing major trouble in its factories etc, and the Ertiga launch amidst all the chaos is a big boost for the company and its image as well.

It is a close call for me, but i vote for the Ertiga.
amitayu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 17:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Ertiga. Simple reasons for my choice. It is an absolutely value for money choice and you can't go wrong with Maruti Suzuki seeing how their after sales service and customer support is leagues ahead of the rest.

As rightly pointed out by GTO, Renault's after sales service is still an unknown entity.
vikram_d is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 17:24   #49
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Considered Ertiga, but voted for Duster.

Maruti watered down the beautiful R3 concept and delivered a very average looking Ertiga. It would have been even a bigger superhit otherwise.
Old 6th December 2012, 17:32   #50
BHPian

Ertiga is my choice for the award for its unmatched practicality ,performance and equipments at its price point. Compare the top end models of both Ertiga and Duster , choosing one out of the two becomes easier.
.Albatross. is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 18:46   #51
Team-BHP Support

Voted Duster but Ertiga is neck and neck in my reckoning. Both cars fill a gap in the market admirably, but the Duster does it with a lot more style, I'd say.

The Mini Cooper, Q3 and 328i are also high on my list but don't make the cut strictly thanks to fail pricing.
Old 6th December 2012, 19:10   #52
BHPian

I agree to all the folks who say its between Ertiga & Duster. But, for a nation that is just in its Automotive market nascence, and so few people being able to afford cars, there really is no contest.

Of course, picking a segment and filling the required need is essential for market success. This job becomes doubly difficult if the segment you pick is the cheapest in the market, and even a slight price fluctuation or a change in the car image can break a million dreams as well as impact the manufacturer in an unprecedented fashion.

Maruti Alto 800 has to be the Car of the Year! It will change more lifestyles than all the other guys combined!
Old 6th December 2012, 19:43   #53
Team-BHP Support

Duster - Heart.
Ertiga - Head.
DZire - All things to all men. Been driving one a lot over the past year and it's done everything beautifully. That's my car of the year.
Old 6th December 2012, 19:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

The questions I asked myself were

- Which car has made a mark in the Indian car scene? Not which car is the most VFM or which car sells most with its tremendous service backup.
- Which car has made more impact in the minds of the people. Not the car the same people might ultimately end up buying.

It is the mini-SUV from Renault this year, without a second thought for me. Though Maruti scampered ahead in launching the Ertiga over the Renault's Duster, it shows that even Maruti feared the launch of the Duster. In my opinion the Ertiga is more of a mass mover while the Duster is more of a soul mover.
Old 6th December 2012, 20:04   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Duster revamped the sub10L SUV market (though most are buying the 12-13L landed versions!!) setting the benchmark for quality and reliability (from what i'm hearing from my neighbors). The game officially moved away from scorpio and safari-the XUV was good, but fairly costlier.
Old 6th December 2012, 20:09   #56
BHPian

This time round it is easy-easily the Duster!! This vehicle has kick-started a segment that will explode in the months to come!!

The sales charts are echoing my thoughts!!
Old 6th December 2012, 20:13   #57
BHPian

Voted for the Ertiga obviously being my drive too! To me Ertiga deserves the award because:
truly opened up an all new segment below the pricey Innova for 7 seaters.

Even though it is less longer than the Innova, it's wheelbase is a mere 10 mm short of Innova! So space is nearly identical.

Lengthwise shorter than Xuv500 but still Ertiga has 135 litres of space with all 3 rows up. This also includes a middle row seat slide option of 20 mm.

Technically the 1.3 multijet sounds small on paper but out on the highway it's a different beast! I still pinch myself to believe it's a 1.3 under the hood. Performance like a 2 litre engine because of it's better power to weight ratio and fuel efficiency of a frugal 1.3!

One of the longest rear doors in the market for easy ingress. This also gives a roomy feel due to it's large rear window.

The last row is not a mere 7 seater gimmick but a proper ergonomic seat setup that's truly comfortable!

The spare wheel is a full alloy at this price point.

I feel for Ertiga's design before anything and the Duster seemed too garish in comparison.

Bullet proof reliability from tried and tested mechanicals and an unmatched service network.

I really considered the Duster but the fact that it was a 5 seater with no proper rear AC was my deal breaker. IMHO the rear space has been wasted.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 20:28   #58
BHPian

My vote goes to that car that opened a new niche of low cost SUVs in the market.......yup! You guessed it right, the Renault Duster. This car is the one I would love to own given the fact that it's the cheapest European SUV in the country. The product is well apt to the needs of Indian conditions and Renault have understood the Indian market pretty well IMHO. It's simple styling yet SUV ruggedness have earned it for what it was launched here. A great job by them as of now!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 6th December 2012, 20:31   #59
BHPian

Voted for the Duster - Simply because it met a long unmet need and created essentially a new segment
Old 6th December 2012, 20:32   #60
BHPian

While I wanted to vote for Duster, I voted for Ertiga, because I think most of Duster variants are a little overpriced and with no ABS etc. on the lower variants it is not value for money. On the other hand Ertiga seems to be a value for money all rounder. Hope Renault is listening and starts offering atleast ABS on lower models.
asdfvinay is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread