Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2012, 09:04   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Shouldn't have voted for Duster but still voted for it WHY?
  1. A good package overall with the right mechanicals and road manners and efficiency
  2. Created the compact SUV segment with a monocoque body which brings in its own advantages
  3. Wide chose of variants and multiple engine types catering to various user requirements
Shouldn't have voted for Duster afterall coz-
  1. Costs a bomb for the package which was at least a lakh more for some variants to begin with and now is even more steep with the price hikes
  2. The interior packaging falls short of ergonomic disaster (may be quite harsh but thats just IMO) with the rear A/c vent taking away precious leg space and average plastics
  3. Sparse dealer network and even less said about dealer apathy as if they have a Rolls in their bag and would only let it out if you pay for all their sundry charges and accessories
Though this is the choice for the Car of the Year, it could have easily made it to the Car of the Decade spot but for the follies of the company in pricing and selling experience.

And as usual for many of these manufacturers (read Nissan, GM etc) the sales will settle down to half of the current numbers when the competition arrives in the mini SUV segment.

What about the contenders, yes the vote would have gone to the very competent Safari Storme of course.
A few similarities here in terms of the Safari badging and looks buy hey it is a completely different animal below the skin and a great package too. It surely deserves more recognition but for our very own Tata who only build but cannot sell well!

Of course could we forget the Ertiga, it is also in the same spot as the second contender with a great package and hey its a Maruti man!
Old 8th December 2012, 09:23   #122
BHPian

Well, if the response so far is any indication, it is clear how starved our market has been for a good "decently priced" SUV/MUV. Ertiga and the Duster have taken the market by storm and the Indian consumer can't have enough. The car manufacturers should really take a look at this thread and decide for themselves.
Old 8th December 2012, 10:52   #123
Senior - BHPian

My vote was first a tie between Alto800 and Duster. Alto800 is a legendary car, and I believe we would be telling our grand children how it was booked in huge numbers even before the launch. A car accessible for most people, with Maruti's reliability.

However, Duster is truly an aspirational vehicle. We love many cars, especially the higher segments. But very few cars pull the string as a glimpse of a strongly planted duster putting along the road, and one can aspire to buy it, since its cost is not as prohibitive or out of bounds as the higher segments.

Sail was a badly missed opportunity by Chevy. The basics of the car are very strong, but it lacks the identity and has no aspirational value.

So the vote goes to Duster.
Old 8th December 2012, 11:14   #124
BHPian

I had assumed that the Safari Storme would have got a few more (a lot more) votes that what is currently polled at-least in Team-Bhp. Well i guess the Storme did not even cause a breeze in Indian Car buying public mindset.

if this is the scenario then Karl and Tata Motors have their work cut for them since i see the Storme going the Aria way if this is the response since the Vehicles which get the votes (Duster and Ertiga) are directly competing with the Safari Storme.
Old 8th December 2012, 19:48   #125
BHPian

The best car of the year! My criterion:
- novelty
- completeness of package
- bang for the buck
Amongst the plethora of launches this year, two cars fit the bill: Ertiga and Duster.
Flashback Auto expo:
One look at the Renault Duster and I was sold. Finally some auto manufacturer listened and thought about an affordable suv (yeti are you listening). But out they came and disappointed With the weird variant classification, higher pricing and not to talk about interiors.

One look at the Ertiga and I was like, ok. Yawn. But boy, did Maruti deliver! The most brilliant packaging in a car I have ever seen. A LUV no less!
wordsworth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 20:16   #126
Team-BHP Support

What makes a car worthy of the COTY Crown?

Appeal!

And the Duster has truck-loads of it!

A car may be perfect on paper, with few flaws and a perfect price-tag. But there is so much more to a car than just political correctness.

I for one believe the Sail U-VA is worthy of the COTY because it does everything you expect it to do and without much fuss. The Ertiga is not too dissimilar. But both don't get my vote simply because I firmly believe that such an award should go to the car that connects to the masses AND the enthusiast within. When a car is able to achieve that, it's worthy of the crown.

This is what I had to say about the Duster in an ownership review thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Initially, I did not like the Duster at all and my votes went straight to the EcoSport. But after spending considerable time with some of them and spotting them by the dozens, I've found a certain fondness for it.

Sure, it has its drawbacks. The quality of plastics is questionable and the car does feel built to cost (exterior build quality is nothing to write home about). Add to that, the lack of equipment and crude '90s-like-bits can put you off (massively limited number of setting for wiper-speeds, seat-adjust controls / levers, etc.) Not to mention the lack of a 4x4 option and safety kit on most variants.

But this car has a certain charm that I haven't seen in most modern cars. Every other car is bland and uninspiring. But this one isn't. It has appeal and that's something we can never have enough of. It looks chunky and very well proportioned. It makes our home-grown SUVs like the Scorpio and Safari look ungainly thanks to their high roof-lines and low shoulder-sills. I particularly love the stance and those bulging wheel-arches.

What really appeals to me is it's ride-quality and the Duster's ability to devour roads whatever be the condition. The fact that it can handle fast and smooth tarmac as well as most sedans in the segment is a huge bonus as well. It makes for a rather compelling package. The workhorses for engine-options only add more brownies to the points table. And you'll soon start forgetting about the poor plastics and lack of equipment.

That said, what really ticks me off about it is the lack of safety-features. Especially on the petrol Duster. And that's one of the main reasons why we might never see a Renault Duster parked in our garage.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 20:22   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Even though it is less longer than the Innova, it's wheelbase is a mere 10 mm short of Innova! So space is nearly identical.
With all 3 rows in place, luggage included?

Quote:
Technically the 1.3 multijet sounds small on paper but out on the highway it's a different beast! I still pinch myself to believe it's a 1.3 under the hood. Performance like a 2 litre engine because of it's better power to weight ratio and fuel efficiency of a frugal 1.3!
This is new to us. Okay, I shall let it pass.

Quote:
The last row is not a mere 7 seater gimmick but a proper ergonomic seat setup that's truly comfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
What you won’t:

• Not a spacious 5 seater if you fold down the 3rd seat row for luggage. Limited width for the 2nd row too
• 3rd row is best suited to adults for short trips, or kids over long trips. Not really a full-size 7 seater car
• Minimal 135 liter luggage capacity with all 3 rows of seats in place
Seems Official review differs & by a lot.

As far as my vote goes, it shall be for a Car which would be redefining the masses Car again, the Alto with 800 monicker.

Between the popular contenders? Suhaas has summed up the rest perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307
Appeal!

And the Duster has truck-loads of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
• In case you want to increase your 'Thanked' count by 2? Vote for Ertiga
I can't really comprehend this action. Can any of you?
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 20:44   #128
MYB
BHPian

For me, it was a choice between Ertiga and Duster. Ertiga might turn out to be a better performer in the long run but Duster came with very fresh looks and swept many of us off our feet and hence my vote goes for the latter.

If not for these two, my vote would have gone for the mass oriented Alto 800. This is one of the cars which look better in meat and flesh than pics (many others do it the other way round!) and is surely gonna be the new mass favorite or is it already? 23000+ dispatches in November is your hint.
Old 8th December 2012, 21:05   #129
Team-BHP Support

Duster gets in only because of its first mover advantage. True it has many good things, but the instant you will see a rival, votes will get divided.

Imagine Duster and Ecosport in the same time fighting it out!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 21:23   #130
BHPian

I think both Ertiga and Duster deserve to be the T-BHP COTY. Voted for Duster as it has that edge due to the fact that it catered to the aspiration of Indians to own a world class SUV under 10 lakhs.
Old 8th December 2012, 21:33   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Duster gets in only because of its first mover advantage.
First mover advantage means? I thought the Ertiga came before the Duster? Or is it the reverse? Please correct me.

Quote:
Imagine Duster and Ecosport in the same time fighting it out!
Sirji, but that we should consider only when the Ecosport come in, right? Not for the COTY 2012 at least.

Last edited by thoma : 8th December 2012 at 22:00.
Old 8th December 2012, 21:53   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

First mover advantage means? I thought the Ertiga came before the Duster? Or is it the reverse? Please correct me
Ertiga and Duster are vehicles that belong to 2 different segments and technically they don't compete each other.

Duster has the first mover advantage because it's the only crossover lifestyle SUV in the market in this price bracket.

Ertiga had Xylo and Innova to contend with during launch.
Old 8th December 2012, 23:32   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
First mover advantage means? I thought the Ertiga came before the Duster? Or is it the reverse? Please correct me.
I did not mean any thing about Ertiga Vs Duster. What I meant was Duster musters good votes because it is a segment creator for the compact SUV.
Had we seen Ecosport this same year, equation would have been different.

Off course we wont see this comparison next year (though people's choices will multiply with more releases).
But I do agree that we should give due credit to what Renault has achieved with this product.

There are some strengths and loose bits associated with the product, but as Suhaas put it, it's also important to see
how much in spite of all its negatives, a person is ready to accept it with both mind and heart.

Last edited by ampere : 8th December 2012 at 23:42.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 00:04   #134
BHPian

My vote goes for ertiga as its a value for money product backed by marutis network. Even the base version diesel has Abs and EBD.
I personally dont like dusters design very much.
Arkesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 09:06   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Ertiga: "the Innova for the nuclear family". This no-frills vehicle without the jazz or razzmataaz is a quiet performer, is a safe bet for the regular car buyer/user.
It may not be flashy as most other launches, but it's car that you really cant go wrong with.

1. The Maruti brand - support, spares
2. Pricing
3. Space & utility
4. Size - not big, just right for city. And for the highway where it allows one to take more luggage than in a car.
5. The 1.3 DDis engine & it's strong points. 1.4 Petrol for those who want that.
6. ABS available.
7. Seven Seater for the city, or trips that dont need luggage.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread