Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2013, 10:34   #451
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,235
Thanked: 3,413 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

When I went to collect my car after bumper painting to fix the scratches had a chance to bump into a FIAT executive who is in charge for the spares and the DMS related training for the south region.

Had a brief discussion with him and a few pointers that I picked up. Here we go with the details.

1. The spares warehouse is spread across 60,000 sq ft.
2. The spares warehouse can house spares worth 450 crores
3. The spares turnover currently is anywhere between 19-22 crores on a month on month basis
4. The new DMS has been designed to make the spares distribution process smoother.
5. All the new service centers will be trained to handle the new DMS with the parts ePER loaded in the DMS itself, so no more referring to parts catalogue which is stand alone.

The spares procurement process.

1. The order would be placed in the system from the dealer/service center end.
2. The parts order gets logged in the same day in the Spares warehouse
3. The parts would be sorted and would be picked the next day and would be ready for shipment on the 3rd day from placing the order.
4. The parts would reach the dealer/service center in 1 Ė 4 days depending on the distance between the warehouse and the dealer/service center.
5. All VOR orders would be air-shipped and would be available in 24 hours.

The 90% of the Palio spares are available in the ware house for the Palios that were manufactured within the last 10 years from the current date.

Though this might not seems very different from other manufacturers, now at least it seems that a proper system is being put in place for good.

I will dig out more information if I get a chance to meet the person again.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:21   #452
Senior - BHPian
 
rohanjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 682 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I just called up KHT Motors in Bangalore. They said Linea T-jet is not yet available with them. The prices have not been announced. They also said that the test-drive car will be available only after 3-4 weeks.

I wonder how the pricing of Linea T-jet going to be. Is the new "SUV" excise duty rule of the government already implemented?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The 90% of the Palio spares are available in the ware house for the Palios that were manufactured within the last 10 years from the current date.
That's exactly what I was told when I took my Palio to replace the suspension underarms two weeks ago. The service guy sent me back (because there is still some life left in the underarms) saying spares will not be a problem anymore, and I could come next year to and still find the spares readily available!
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:37   #453
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 352
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

any info whether the t-jet abarth have an automatic or a manual gearbox ?
rana_kirti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 15:54   #454
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vellore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
I'm so happy after hearing this!!

After Punto 90HP, my next car has been finalized. A 1.6 MJD Linea :-).

Fiat has finally woken up. The showrooms are coming up pretty soon. Hope they execute the plans well. But something needs to be done immediately for the dying sales of Punto & Linea.
I took a Linea Emotion (diesel) for a drive to chennai (from vellore) about 3 weeks ago. My observations of Linea were:
Handling: lovely
Comfort: Hard seats, but otherwise no complaints at all.
engine response: for the small diesel and big car, very good, actually far better than I expected.
Features: Good.
Overall: Very good....

Then I sat in my Lancer (SLXD). The comfort was just something else! The engine responds far better (of course a 2 liter is bigger than a 1.3).
I was actually thinking of selling my Lancer and buying a Linea, but now i have serious thoughts! I've kind of fallen in love with my Lancer after the Linea drive.

I might still give the new Linea a try, but unless it has some serious uppings, i doubt i'll make the trade.

By the way, this is a personal opinion. The Linea IS a GOOD CAR, far better than most others in the price range.
paulprv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 18:45   #455
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,074
Thanked: 519 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I came across this on the net today and am not sure if this is the right thread to share it. Makes for an interesting read, although it is quite dated (2009).

FPT Overview

From this it looks like Maruti has access to only the 1.3 & the 2 L Multijet's.

Another thing I noticed is that there is a 16V version of the 1.2L Fire which puts out 80bhp and Fiat still brought the 8V 1.2 to India...

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 15th April 2013 at 18:48.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 19:36   #456
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulprv View Post
I took a Linea Emotion (diesel) for a drive to chennai (from vellore) about 3 weeks ago. My observations of Linea were:
Handling: lovely
Comfort: Hard seats, but otherwise no complaints at all.
engine response: for the small diesel and big car, very good, actually far better than I expected.
Features: Good.
Overall: Very good....

Then I sat in my Lancer (SLXD). The comfort was just something else! The engine responds far better (of course a 2 liter is bigger than a 1.3).
I was actually thinking of selling my Lancer and buying a Linea, but now i have serious thoughts! I've kind of fallen in love with my Lancer after the Linea drive.

I might still give the new Linea a try, but unless it has some serious uppings, i doubt i'll make the trade.

By the way, this is a personal opinion. The Linea IS a GOOD CAR, far better than most others in the price range.
To each his own. But comparing a 2L Lancer & a 1.3L Linea is like comparing apples & oranges. They are from different segments altogether

Last edited by Rufus_M : 15th April 2013 at 19:39.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 19:46   #457
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 582
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
To each his own. But comparing a 2L Lancer & a 1.3L Linea is like comparing apples & oranges. They are from different segments altogether
So you mean Linea 1.3 should be compared with likes of Dzire? Then it certainly seems overpriced
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 20:10   #458
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
So you mean Linea 1.3 should be compared with likes of Dzire? Then it certainly seems overpriced
Sorry, i take back my words What i wanted to say was that Lancer SLXD was a discontinued model. Linea should be compared with the likes of Rapid, Vento, Verna, SX4, Sunny & Scala. Not Dzire for sure

Having the image of Mitsu Lancer Evo in my mind made me say that. Had to revisit some websites & check the dimensions of the Lancer.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 20:15   #459
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vellore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
So you mean Linea 1.3 should be compared with likes of Dzire? Then it certainly seems overpriced
Its overpriced to DZire, but its also a lot more car, and lot more weight and lot more stability and lot more. Apples and oranges is more like it
paulprv is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 10:08   #460
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 3,473 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I got very excited to see the Linea T-Jet back on the FIAT website. So I spoke with a salesperson from Vecto Motors, Bangalore.

He had no clue whatsoever about the re-launch of the T-Jet, and made me wait while he went and checked out the FIAT website himself.

Anyway, the T-Jet should be back in the next couple of weeks. I had visited Vecto on Saturday and they were saying they would get the test drive car very soon, once the prices are officially announced and the car is officially declared as open for bookings.

They (Vecto) were saying that Fiat has been very secretive about the T-Jet's launch and new pricing, and dealers themselves have no clue as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
any info whether the t-jet abarth have an automatic or a manual gearbox ?
Abarth Punto does not come in automatic trim in any country. It comes with a 6 speed manual gearbox, with a normal / Sport mode toggle lever which can be activated when required.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th April 2013 at 10:14.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 10:21   #461
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,235
Thanked: 3,413 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Anyway, the T-Jet should be back in the next couple of weeks. I had visited Vecto on Saturday and they were saying they would get the test drive car very soon, once the prices are officially announced and the car is officially declared as open for bookings.

They (Vecto) were saying that Fiat has been very secretive about the T-Jet's launch and new pricing, and dealers themselves have no clue as of now.
They are noting all the customer details who are enquiring about Tjet, but no information has been provided to the dealers yet.

I simply cant understand what is the reason to keep the pricing secretive as Tjet is not a new launch.

Quote:
Abarth Punto does not come in automatic trim in any country. It comes with a 6 speed manual gearbox, with a normal / Sport mode toggle lever which can be activated when required.
Abarth uses the C635 gearbox which is a 6 speed gearbox which can handle upto 350 NM torque (under standard road use). The same gearbox has a Dual logic version too.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 10:30   #462
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 3,473 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Abarth uses the C635 gearbox which is a 6 speed gearbox which can handle upto 350 NM torque (under standard road use). The same gearbox has a Dual logic version too.
People who buy Abarths want the fun of a manual box I guess, so that makes it almost certain that a SuperSport hatch is very unlikely to have the dualogic automatic version . I believe the dualogic version of the C635 is used on other Fiat road cars, but I've never seen any Abarth using a dualogic box.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 11:51   #463
Senior - BHPian
 
puchoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 1,425
Thanked: 743 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

This is so annoying , now my contact is telling me that they have delayed the bookings and availability till June for the new T-jet and will launch it around the same time as the Abarth. So the silver lining in the entire piece is that the Abarth might be here in less than 2 months , but the T-Jet is then delayed.
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:07   #464
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,235
Thanked: 3,413 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
This is so annoying , now my contact is telling me that they have delayed the bookings and availability till June for the new T-jet and will launch it around the same time as the Abarth. So the silver lining in the entire piece is that the Abarth might be here in less than 2 months , but the T-Jet is then delayed.
Now this is really frustrating. They should have got the Tjet out right away after the sales and distribution went live on the 10th.

They should now not dilute the Abarth brand with such delays.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:09   #465
Senior - BHPian
 
puchoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 1,425
Thanked: 743 Times
Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Yes it really is , i dont see any reason for the delay. they were 2 days away from launching it and updating the prices etc so clearly in terms of readiness they were 100%. And quite frankly after releasing their new campaign etc this is rather amusing that the first encounter one has with them post it is shrouded in confusion and lack of clarity.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Now this is really frustrating. They should have got the Tjet out right away after the sales and distribution went live on the 10th.

They should now not dilute the Abarth brand with such delays.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Abarth 595 Competizione revealed on Fiat India's website damager21 The Indian Car Scene 50 17th August 2015 10:42
Volkswagen's Future (US) Product Strategy Revealed - and what it means for us crackingride The Indian Car Scene 23 24th October 2012 00:31
FIAT kicks off its new branding strategy. amit The Indian Car Scene 23 5th February 2008 14:17
FIAT's new strategy + Linea confirmed Mpower The Indian Car Scene 128 21st May 2007 19:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:12.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks