Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th March 2014, 21:55   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Just found the Multi Jet II engine on www.fiat.co.za. 103Bhp, 320nm@1750rpm. Offered only on the 500L. What on earth is wrong with Fiat India.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 23:59   #1142
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Just found the Multi Jet II engine on www.fiat.co.za. 103Bhp, 320nm@1750rpm. Offered only on the 500L. What on earth is wrong with Fiat India.
If you were referring to the 500L its the 1.6 Multijet.
Once they bring the 1.6 in here that would be mostly the same version.
shineshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 11:21   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link Sandeep.

I was just browsing through their South Africa website and was mighty impressed by the safety features Fiat has on Punto in SA.

http://www.fiat.co.za/technology-punto.html

And also, just look at the range of cars they have in SA - Doblo, Qubo, Panda, 500, 500L. I don't understand what's stopping them from bring these cars to India.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-safety-features.png  

Last edited by Thumping Soul : 7th March 2014 at 11:23. Reason: Spelling Correction
Thumping Soul is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 11:42   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
And also, just look at the range of cars they have in SA - Doblo, Qubo, Panda, 500, 500L. I don't understand what's stopping them from bring these cars to India.
From this list, the only cars that will interest our audience is the Panda, 500 and 500L. The 500 is surely here and at a cost that will kill it. It was expensive in Multijet form, god knows what its going to cost in Abarth specification. What annoys be the most about Fiat India is why they are not upgrading their engines. Are they worried the cars won't sell? Sure its not going to set sales charts on fire but that is no reason to not bring in the engine. To improve sales, they need to fix service. The way Fiat India portrays service, on their website, is a joke. Forget new cars, the Linea itself needs a bigger diesel engine and not a tune up job. South Africa is already on Multi Jet II for the 1.6. We are a diesel market and to succeed, you have to bring in the best there is.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th March 2014 at 11:45.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 11:52   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
From this list, the only cars that will interest our audience is the Panda, 500 and 500L. The 500 is surely here and at a cost that will kill it. It was expensive in Multijet form, god knows what its going to cost in Abarth specification. What annoys be the most about Fiat India is why they are not upgrading their engines. Are they worried the cars won't sell? Sure its not going to set sales charts on fire but that is no reason to not bring in the engine. To improve sales, they need to fix service. The way Fiat India portrays service, on their website is a joke. Forget new cars, the Linea itself needs a bigger diesel engine and not a tune up job. South Africa is already on Multi Jet II for the 1.6. We are a diesel market and to succeed, you have to bring in the best there is.
Couldn't agree more. The scenario here is, after owning a Punto for over 3yrs, I don't know a better car in terms of its dynamics that appeals to my taste. I was actually waiting for the 1.6 in Linea. But, God knows what the Product Team of Fiat thinks or perceives of the Indian market.

If Verna can sell multiple variants of 1.6L diesel in this market, definitely Fiat too would sell.

Talking about 500, I anyway don't see a major market for that car in India. Because, the majority of the Indian Car Buyers equate 'Money Spent' to the 'Seating Capacity'. Still, you would come across so many people who would say '9Lakhs for a Small Car, you would have bought a sedan'.

But, that doesn't mean there's no market for it. There definitely is. Infact, there are lot many people out there who currently own or have owned a Fiat in the past and would be more than eager to upgrade to a 1.6 Diesel, if its launched here.
Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 12:59   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
As far as I know, these cars are not much localised in South Africa. They are mostly imported either as CBUs or as CKDs from Europe or India.

If these cars are launched in India, expect the price to shock an average Indian's mindset. Most Indians will go for India-specific products by other manufacturers because these Euro-specific models will cost at least 1.5 times more!
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 13:22   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe it has more to do with the quality of diesel fuel, especially in non-BS4 cities.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 17:29   #1148
Senior - BHPian

There is an advertisement in TOI Delhi edition that announces the price of 2014 Diesel Punto at Rs.4.99 Lacs. Here is the advertisement:

Fiat's India strategy revealed-getimage.png

Motoroids have caught the test mules of the car:

Name:  1FiatPunto580x435x2014030711.26600x450.jpg.pagespeed.ic.hTn2Rm9Wa.jpg
Views: 3102
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  2580x435xfiatpuntofaceliftimages1600x450.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DCSB0dtTUs.jpg
Views: 3205
Size:  41.1 KB
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 16:59   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Recent sighting of the Punto in Pune (courtesy Rushlane):

Name:  Fiat_Punto.jpg
Views: 3002
Size:  89.3 KB

I like the wheel covers in this variant.
Old 11th March 2014, 17:31   #1150
BANNED

It seems like that the Taxi segment is also gearing up for Punto. Recently in Bangalore road I have started seeing few of them. Typical company cab type. Linea is already there as Taxi though.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 18:00   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
It seems like that the Taxi segment is also gearing up for Punto. Recently in Bangalore road I have started seeing few of them. Typical company cab type. Linea is already there as Taxi though.
The MJD seems catching up with others (Renault's K series & Toyota diesel) in Delhi/ NCR too. I have seen quite a few Swifts as cabs (with proper Yellow plates) on Delhi roads.
Old 11th March 2014, 18:17   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Rushlane speculates a 16″ alloy wheels, rear parking sensors, cruise control, auto headlamps, a redesigned front grille and revised bumpers. On the inside is a new instrument cluster, and centre console.

Quote:
The Punto facelift could make its debut in time for the festive season later this year as Fiat India has laid out its launch outline for the year during which time Abarth 500, Punto, and Avventura will be launched
http://www.rushlane.com/fiat-punto-r...-12113112.html
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 13:02   #1153
Senior - BHPian

I spotted one today. It had an ARAI page stuck across on the front windshield and was headed in the direction of Kharadi, so I presume was returning to Ranjangaon factory
Launch sometime in June
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto.jpg  

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th March 2014 at 13:05.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 14:59   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Production Fiat Avventura Crossover Spied.

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiatavventuracrossoverspypics2.jpg

Quote:
Production version of Fiat Avventura crossover at the Airport road in Pune. The mule, with hidden front, rear and sides, is running on broader and larger 16 inch tyres which is one of the most important visual betterment on the Avventura, test mule is without the rear mounted spare wheel.
The taillamps are refreshed LEDs which the Punto facelift will also get. The ground clearance is also clearly higher (figures not revealed by Fiat yet.
Avventura will continue with the same 1.3L Multijet diesel engine as well as the 1.4L petrol engine.
http://motorbash.com/scoop-productio...s-mb-xclusive/

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th March 2014 at 15:04.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 12:06   #1155
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally the Fiat Avventura is caught testing on the street.

Though the car looked attractive @ Autoexpo im not really sure about the spotted test mule will be able to re-create the magic.

Secondly not sure why Fiat have taken an effort to launch this car as clearly the competition like VW cross polo & Etios cross are obvious failures

Being a ex Punto owner i feel sad to see such a beautiful car being forcefully trying to look like a SUV/Cross over

Last edited by karan561 : 14th March 2014 at 12:14.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote