Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th March 2013, 13:53   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Motors on an austerity drive. Production cut too

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
We know that that is how most of the established players like VW, Honda, Toyota started - by first getting the basics right. Once you have a stable product, future products will have a strong foundation for added features and electronics.
Logical, yes. But then when Honda, VW etc started, there were no gizmo's around. We had plain gas/oil burning vehicles. Today, not only are the features there, but those featuers have become the norm.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 22:25   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Logical, yes. But then when Honda, VW etc started, there were no gizmo's around. We had plain gas/oil burning vehicles. Today, not only are the features there, but those featuers have become the norm.
If techno gizmos and rich features were really the norm as you say, then Maruti 800/Alto would not have been the top selling car in India for decades. Hence it is my belief that this is definitely worth a try for Tata.

In fact this is the very reason Indian consumers are buying Innovas, Fortuners and Citys. Not to mention the top selling MUV - the Bolero. Other contenders have have far more features and gizmos, but for the majority of the Indian consumers it is just as an after thought during the time of purchase.

Sure some of us appreciate those extra features and gizmos, but only if the company and its product has a reputation to produce and service those features and gizmos. Tata has a long way to go before it can create such an impression.
SedatedDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 00:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

While cutting production by reducing shifts or working days or both are standard procedures in times of slow sales, what is more shocking is the feeling that the boffins at TELCO seem to be working very hard to lose whatever little sales that are left, atleast their adverts point in that direction. Apart from the yelling hand gliders in the 90hp quadra jet advert, they have hit another low with their latest SUMO advert on TV. Bunch of phirangs in bikinis dancing on the roof tops and yet some more driving Sumos off the mountain top and over and on to the roofs. What customer segment are they trying to address? the suicidal kind?

Actually come to think of it they might be trying to tell us the truth behind their products. That buying one is indeed suicide and if somehow our vehicles do not get you, our A.S.C.s surely will.

I wonder what the marketing guys who okayed the ad film(s) were smoking.

The proposed EV sounds like a joke. Till date TELCO has not been able to put out a vehicle on road wherein all of the tail lights are functional at the same time. If I pull in their CV side the lights are non functional right off the assembly lines and thru the QC etc. Now they want people to believe that the all electric or a hybrid vehicle that they will offer will actually run without zapping it's occupants, well best of luck.

TELCO has never focussed on a particular market segment. Instead of identifying the one they could have addressed in full they have aimed at having their presence in all market segments and have stretched themselves thin in doing so. For a company with no true engine technology to call their own, forget about a gear box design or car designing capability and then making the mistake of applying the cv production methodology in terms of vendor development, quality levels and more so the levels of their ASC as perceived to be acceptable by themselves has put paid to their plans of market domination. Had they played to their strengths and focused on the SUV, MUV market exclusively, I am sure they would have had seen far better results. Case in point is their buy out of JLR which Mr. TATA felt was a business they understood inside out and besides that the success of M&M in this market segment. Mahindra's entire product range over the past two decades is built on the space left vacant by TELCO, well actually not vacant but "never properly addressed" is the correct phrase here.

Someone above was saying that TELCO should not have gone with the 1.3 MJD, I sort of agree. I feel that had TELCO tinkered around with the old Mercedes engine, variants of which have powered their various CV models since yore they might have been better placed. That one engine did sustain them for such a long time, I am sure it would have been of service to them once again saving them tons of money in the process.

Anyhow, I can only hope that they see better days again but with sharper focus and much much better built vehicles.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 06:43   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
If techno gizmos and rich features were really the norm as you say, then Maruti 800/Alto would not have been the top selling car in India for decades.
That's where Tata already has the Nano - but even there, the car required a lot of innovation. There were teething problems initially, but those look solved now. About M800, I dont think even Suzuki would have survived giving a barebones car back home. Leave alone other markets. Even with basic models, the basic models that companies have outside are often better than the regular models they give us.

Point is that a company cant survive just on one segment. Depending on the price bracket, they will need to provide relevant features.

Look at Reva itself - they tried it, but finally had to give in & be taken over by M&M.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 13:34   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

How do you guys see this as?? http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/19214577.cms

The gist of the news is that Tata Motors will shut down its production for 11 days at its Jamshedpur plant from March 27 to April 6 to carry out maintenance.

Is this an attempt at cutting down the stock or a genuine maintenance shut down?

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 14:08   #66
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

I wonder what the marketing guys who okayed the ad film(s) were smoking.

The proposed EV sounds like a joke. Till date TELCO has not been able to put out a vehicle on road wherein all of the tail lights are functional at the same time. If I pull in their CV side the lights are non functional right off the assembly lines and thru the QC etc.
While I do agree with your take on the Sumo Advt and some of the other newer ones, they are also the bunch with the best Advts ever to be seen for Automobiles in India. - Especially the ones for the Safari and even some of those of the Nano over the years.

They do have a quality issue overall but somehow in the case of the example mentioned by you I my case the Aria Tail Light bulbs somehow never needed changing in 2.5 years since I bought them, Also in case of my earlier Safari, I would have changed may be 1 or 2 bulbs over 10 years in the Tail Lights.

That is not to say that there are no issues. I have for example recently seem a new Storme with flickering tail brake lights.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 15:31   #67
BHPian

Austerity drive by golly! I wonder what that is going to achieve. The chief needs to pull up the arrogant and staid employees and sub-employees of Tata Motors, crack the whip and make them work hard. The same cars and models will start selling if the company follows the policy of "customer first" and tries to do whatever they doing but do it sincerely. It costs much more to design a new car, and no guarantee that the new car will turn the market. A simpler more austere method would be to provide good after sales service with a smile to customer. I find that even the pre-sales service of Tata Motors is bad. Like I have said elsewhere too; there is nothing magical about MS after sales service. They look good because the others suck.

If a niggle is found just set it right without hassles to customer. In a short time the same satisfied customer will send back many more. Quality does not require rocket science; it just needs a little sincerity. Pampering your managers does not get back sincerity, nor does an austerity drive. Pardon me if I have offended any particular person, as I am making only general statements out of experience with tata motors. I really wish that company turns around and does well, as the Tatas are really good men.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2013 at 21:33. Reason: Nobody knows "tamo" please do not use abbreviations and type in full. Thanks
gostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:07   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we are about to see a massive change in attitude of TATA motors & it's employees. Massively due going by some of the bhp'ians' comments as well as mine! Anyway better late than never.

Love this pic!

Name:  KarlSlym.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  71.4 KB

Quote:
Tata Motors, leading automobile manufacturers in India have been seeing lower market share. Karl Slym, MD, has stated the urgent need for Tata Motors to alter their strategy where sales of passenger vehicles is concerned.
Details: www.rushlane.com/karl-slym-indicates-tata-motors-1272837.html

Image copyright - Original uploader

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd April 2013 at 14:08.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote