Closed Thread

Old 4th January 2013, 14:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: December 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Toyota
Innova 1 : 6457
I would love to meet the getleman who has bought this Innova. By this time, I am sure it is already running on CNG. Phenomenal cost savings as compared to the Diesel one.
amtak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 14:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Given that the Lancer Evo - X doesnt sell at all, i wonder what would have happened to those initial lot of cars imported and lying with HM ? Has any one checked for some deep discounts ? there could be some opportunity for bargain hunting there
narayan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 14:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Given that the Lancer Evo - X doesnt sell at all, i wonder what would have happened to those initial lot of cars imported and lying with HM ? Has any one checked for some deep discounts ? there could be some opportunity for bargain hunting there
That task would be like finding a needle in the hay stack. I doubt if there would be any EVO's lying anywhere with the dealer's. They might be taking the bookings and delivering only after the order is confirmed.
Old 4th January 2013, 15:12   #49
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out vehicles (such as Prius, 370Z) as they have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

December 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

December 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

December 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

December 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

Pardon me if I’m repeating what is already said in the initial comments. But I’m trying to analyse it from segment market share point of view and my segmentation is different from the industry one.
  • Eon holding onto market share after what is left by the Alto, which has risen to an authoritarian position with near 70% market share after the new Alto 800’s launch
  • Into the next segment, there is good competition and for a change i10 and Indica/Vista enjoying a better market share as compared to Wagon R due to possibly production change to new facelift model. Ritz also hanging in thereabouts. Santro still holding onto 10% market share is astounding for a car launched in 1997 – more than 15 years back
  • Swift steadily gaining market share – now capturing half the market again. i20 & Polo steadily losing market share and Figo also to an extent
  • Same story in entry level sedans, Dzire steadily gaining market share – now a dominant 60%+. Indigo / Manza steadily losing market share and Etios also to an extent. In fact Dzire is selling more than Swift – which can be attributed to the three box car factor. But in reality the Dzire is essentially a Swift only (considering the wheelbase is the same) with a slightly bigger boot – marginally more than premium hatchbacks. Even though the Indigo eCs and Manza have a longer wheelbase than their hatchback siblings and sedans in a truer sense, they lose out big time to the Maruti twins because of lack of quality on their part and on the other hand the superior brand equity of Maruti Suzuki.
  • Vento and Rapid gaining market share (due to some offers) at the expense of City and Verna, though this trend seems temporary if we consider Verna’s unabated run. Sunny hanging in there as a spacious value offering.
MUVs/SUVs/Soft Roaders slowly eating into sedan sales
  • Duster’s sales starting to decline (maybe the price increase effect) and Quanto’s sales increasing steadily. Seems Nissan will launch its own version of the Duster at the launch price of Renault Duster
  • Mahindra M/SUVs continuing their good run and Tata Motor’s seem to have lost the plot. The combined S/MUV sales of Tata Motors in even less than the number of Scorpio’s sold. XUV5OO’s stellar run continues and in December outsold its older sibling - the Scorpio.
  • Innova continuing to hold its own against the Ertiga – I guess each has carved out its own majority clientele i.e. taxi market and families respectively. Innova beating the Ertiga in December, due to probably production constraints at Maruti

Premium (entry) segment
  • Elantra’s run slowing down a bit, but Corolla’s sales dropping drastically with the arrival of feature packed value offering from Hyundai. Sales of Cruze and Jetta picking up again after the new Elantra’s initial bull run.
  • Premium D segment sedan dominated by Superb. New Accord gaining, Passat maintaining and the Camry drastically losing market share
  • Fortuner steamrolling over the competition – the Endeavour, Rexton and Pajero Sport taking rest of the spoils with around 10% market share each.
NOTE: Market share is different from sales and the sales of a particular car might decline but overall its market share might increase due to the sales of the competing cars within the same segment also declining.
jessie007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 15:31   #50
BHPian

"Vento - 1975, Rapid-1890, SX4 - 329, Verna -2404"

On an average Verna numbers are usually around the sum of Vento and Rapid. I guess the initial excitement about the fluidic design is settling down, possible ?

However the loss of Verna's share does not show up anywhere else, also possible we might see it go back to 4k/5k units in the coming months. I have not been following the numbers, but am surprised to see that verna is the clear winner in terms of units sold in the c2 sedan segment. Would be interesting to see how well Verna has done in terms of Diesel:Petrol.
Old 4th January 2013, 16:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
That task would be like finding a needle in the hay stack. I doubt if there would be any EVO's lying anywhere with the dealer's. They might be taking the bookings and delivering only after the order is confirmed.
True but HM would have imported atleast 1 container of say 10-15 cars. this need not be at the dealer side. How is HM planning to liquidate this. anyway dont want to go OT in this thread
Old 4th January 2013, 17:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely phenomenal insights
Thank you for sharing as usual GTO.
The visual representations are so enjoyable to go through - thanks a lot Parrys for that.

I think Maruti single handedly props up that 53% Market share which is held by the Japs!
Amazing.
And the Duster really has kicked up the Dust and how!!
Fantastic sales performance - though your comment about the one trick pony is probably right, from the Renault perspective.
They ideally should bring in the Sandero Stepway with full kit and the Megane etc to change the skew around a bit. Sandero, being inexpensive and functional, like the Duster, may cannibalize Duster to an extent, but I think it can be a wonderful alternative to the upcoming EcoSport and so on...
Old 4th January 2013, 17:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO, for the data and super review.

IMO, those small falls in numbers for December data can't be considered as a trend. Even those in waiting period may be preferring to take the delivery on the new year. So, drop in sales numbers for Ertiga, Verna, XUV, Duster etc are negligible. WR drop is surely due to the new launch.

If we compare the sales numbers with that of last year, we can understand one thing: only new launches and thorough refurbishing of existing models drive the sales volume for the manufacturers - be it Alto, Ertiga and DZire for Maruti, Duster for Renault, XUV and Quanto for Mahindra, Verna and Eon for Hyundai. Those who fail to do so, obviously falters!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 4th January 2013 at 17:52.
romeomidhun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 23:37   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The sales trends have thrown some surprises while many of the trends were expected as it is December!
The Renault Duster selling 4485 units has created history. It has emerged at # 13 in the TOP 20 list and is three positions above the XUV 500 and six position above the mighty Scorpio.
The French have tried to enter India ever since 1984, with the Peugeot Sportif moped. The Peugeot 309 followed. Renault came with the Logan and now Scala and Pulse.All these high profile launches failed to take off.
The exceptions were the Suvega moped made in collaboration with Motobecane of France that was successful since the mid 1960's til the mid 1970's. And the Peugeot engines in Mahindra MUV's (the XDP540 and the XD3) were doing the donkey's job since 1982 quite successfully.
Hence, the Duster's success writes many things between the lines. If it continues to succeed, the presence of the French car industry will be felt in our market quite dominantly.
Old 5th January 2013, 00:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
I fail to understand why the diesel Venture sells so less when it has no direct competition. On the other hand the petrol powered Eeco and Omni do almost 6K every month!
1. No power for the engine. Venture was supposed to be a people mover, but it struggles big time with full load. 2. Ugly..It looks beutiful from the front, but so ugly from the back. 3. Quality. The body shell of Venture, especillay the panels at the back, does not look that solid when compared to other Tata vehicles. Need to modify the rear bumper to protect the back more. All these considering the vehicle is meant for taxi usage. I am not sure any one will buy this for personal use, especially after the Ertiga launch. Bottomline, Venture is a good concept, but need a total make over to appeal to the Taxi segment for its survival.
teamveevee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 00:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Innova 1 : 6457
I did not know that Innova comes in petrol too. Wonder why Toyota would be making it given such meager sales and who would have bought that?
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 00:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I would love to meet the getleman who has bought this Innova. By this time, I am sure it is already running on CNG. Phenomenal cost savings as compared to the Diesel one.
Don't undermine the Petrol Innova. Its damn peppy drive and sprinter at signals unlike the sluggish diesel. Whoever bought it, most likely got it for that reason only and is a fanatic for the peppy engine and sprinting. Its like a rocket inspite of this size but light vehicle with 132bhp on tap. I know, one of my friends bought one back in 2007 inspite of lower mileage than diesel. If the buyer intends to convert to CNG, would have been better off to think about CNG Innova itself in the first place.

Is it possible to see Safari:Storme numbers segregation? Storme is surely getting spotted on road now.

Not happy to see XUV500 sales slumping down for a hopefully well engineered product of the lot with relatively easy availability now. Is it the niggles hitting it hard or just the Dec year end slump? Hope M&M puts up good show in new batches and cheers up public.

At the same time, surprised to see such heavy jump in Innova inspite of the Dec year end which should have seen slump in sales when even the VFM Ertiga is showing the slump for Dec.

Duster blazes the charts fast, remains to be seen if it can maintain it with its well made package but with few compromises. Hope niggles don't start hitting it like XUV.

Good to see Fiesta Claasic still puts up brave show and its new deliveries are spotted much more on road than the new Avatar.
Old 8th January 2013, 22:07   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the deal with the Nissan Evalia? The first few months are the honeymoon period for any car after its launch where it does not really have to work hard to find itself a buyer. Nissan is letting it slip too easily and before they know the market would be or rather has been captured by the Ertiga and Duster to quite an extent.

Even sunny which I still feel is a wonderful car at its price is not doing really well. Probably again the effect of Duster and Ertiga being seen here & not to forget the 800 odd people who opted for the Scala.

Fortuner Sales is something that I still don't understand. At 25L OTR, more or less, its way overpriced for what its offering. and moreover with so many of them on our roads its lost that exclusive feel too.
Old 9th January 2013, 07:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi India beats target, posts 63% growth in sales in 2012.

Total sales at 9,003 units in 2012 compared to year-ago period on the back of new product roll outs and enhanced dealership network.

Audi had sold 5,511 vehicles in 2011.

Source: ET
Old 10th January 2013, 17:38   #60
BHPian

Wow interest in cars in dipping as comments of this thread are. During boom times, the comments went to 10+ pages regularly.

Its pretty much bad times for the country monetarily as well as psychologically. All getting reflected in car sales too.

Tatas really need to get back to the drawing board and do something fast. They seem to be sleep walking. Or are hoping JLR will save their grub. Their biggest issue will be how will they make the deeply negative sentiment that everybody has about them. Fiat has not been able to do it. Tatas are in the same boat.

Mahindra is pretty much doing everything right in the UV space. Saw so many THARs in Goa was really surprised.

Maruti has no competition. They will rule the roads forever in India till safety doesn't become a paramount concern for Indians.

Lets see how 2013 pans out. I think more pain will continue. With increasing taxes and got knows other regressive steps coming up I don't see any respite.

Cheers
Closed Thread