Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 11:45   #31
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 992
Thanked: 469 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

So the Corolla has finally been spied fully uncovered by carscoop.blogspot.in.
Looks really boring and safe in design. Whatever happened to the edgy design philosophy they were to follow for this new version of the Corolla. They have really toned the car down when compared with the Furia concept that was unveiled recently.

The front end looks like an Etios now !! Thats not at all flattering for any new design !!
Attached Images
  

Last edited by nik_kapur : 6th February 2013 at 11:46.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 11:55   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

I don't understand brands copying each other. Maybe it does make some commercial sense, but this looks more like a cut-copy-paste job, albeit a bit tweaked. Sure the front end looks like the Etios, but that chrome grill and the headlights are so alike the current gen City. The rear end and the taillights look like the fluidic Elantra + Sonata. Wonder what the interiors on this thing would be like?!

I definitely prefer the plain-jane current gen-Corolla to this funky design.
9thsphinx is offline  
Old 12th February 2013, 00:49   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 86
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Looks like Toyota is following Matsushita's philosophy of the second large bite!

Matsu always waited for Sony to try a new product category and would figure out a way of building a similar product as reliable as Sony and price it less, and almost always Matsu has had a larger market share!

In this case, I must say the front does not look too bad, but the back looks like the typical korean 'overdesign' (my personal view, no offense meant).

But when did Toyota ever sweep one off the floor with its designs?

While the bulbous back looks ungainly, not too sure if it is the camera angle which is playing the tricks. One needs to see it in real flesh to figure out how it looks and feels though.

Most of Jap designs have always been 'you will grow with it' classic types. And Honda was known for discovering classic lines which last a life time. Look at the all the earlier models of Honda City which are not boring even today, they do kind of grow on you, even if one felt they were bland at the time of their launch!

But I am not a fan of the new Accord which looks like a take off on Hyundai! (no offense meant to Hyundai lovers), and nor was I impressed with the sharp creases of the new Amaze, some how Honda lost the plot, in my humble view! Sensationalism seems to be the order of the day!

Hmm, was just wondering if the story of Soichiro Honda being inspired by Buddha's eye brow in designing the fuel tank of the Honda bike (which the CD100 had) is a myth propagated and his insistence that Honda cars should have the maximum visibility from within (which made them design the rear glass bleed into C pillars in the earlier designs) another myth?!
soonya is offline  
Old 12th February 2013, 05:03   #34
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 477
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Got to know this from a person who does test drives for Toyota (their new cars)

Currently the new Innova is being test driven all across in black clothing. Some are also going around the Yamuna expressway and the Buddh Circuit. The current Innova will be stopped around June.

The new Innova will be priced between the current one and Fortuner.
gauravdgr8 is offline  
Old 12th February 2013, 07:37   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Currently the new Innova is being test driven all across in black clothing. Some are also going around the Yamuna expressway and the Buddh Circuit. The current Innova will be stopped around June.
I doubt they will phase out the current Innova so soon. They just did a facelift for the current one and that should safely give it life for atleast a couple of years. 2014 end-2015 seems more like it for the launch of the new model.
drmohitg is online now  
Old 12th February 2013, 16:44   #36
BHPian
 
hrishig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 372
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I doubt they will phase out the current Innova so soon. They just did a facelift for the current one and that should safely give it life for atleast a couple of years. 2014 end-2015 seems more like it for the launch of the new model.
Or keep the current one for the strong taxi segment and launch the new one for higher price just like Maruti did for desire, tata for indica/ manza..
hrishig is offline  
Old 12th February 2013, 17:10   #37
BHPian
 
nurni76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gurgaon/BLR
Posts: 881
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Or keep the current one for the strong taxi segment and launch the new one for higher price just like Maruti did for desire, tata for indica/ manza..
or launch the Avanza at a price point below current Innova and phase out the innova
nurni76 is offline  
Old 12th February 2013, 18:41   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
or launch the Avanza at a price point below current Innova and phase out the innova
No why will they phase out the Innova all together? Its a well proven model with a huge fan following so I don't see any merit in letting all that go. Ofcourse there is no stopping them to introduce newer models and place them in between the Innova and Fortuner and perhaps also an entry level MUV.
drmohitg is online now  
Old 12th February 2013, 20:06   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,429 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No why will they phase out the Innova all together? Its a well proven model with a huge fan following so I don't see any merit in letting all that go...
Didn't they do it with the Qualis? I believe they do it because they bring in a superior product at a higher price & would NOT want the already proven product to bite a chunk off the newer one. I could NOT find any other reason though.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 12th February 2013, 20:24   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Didn't they do it with the Qualis? I believe they do it because they bring in a superior product at a higher price & would NOT want the already proven product to bite a chunk off the newer one. I could NOT find any other reason though.
But the market dynamics have changed since then right. That time there were few takers for large MUVs and there market has only grown in the last couple of years. So having 2 MUVs that time would not have made much sense perhaps but having 3-4 in your portfolio of products now is something to cheer about. A classic example being Mahindra.
drmohitg is online now  
Old 12th February 2013, 20:41   #41
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,429 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But the market dynamics have changed since then right. That time there were few takers for large MUVs and there market has only grown in the last couple of years. So having 2 MUVs that time would not have made much sense perhaps but having 3-4 in your portfolio of products now is something to cheer about. A classic example being Mahindra.
I do NOT think so. I always prefer diversifying; be it any business! I don't think anyone can build / grow business sticking on to something very specific; say MUVs/SUVs. If Mahindra was happy with their UV range, they would have NOT bothered to take over Reva, not bothered about a sub 4m Verito etc right? Not to talk about their 2 wheeler business.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 12th February 2013, 21:08   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,624 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I do NOT think so. I always prefer diversifying; be it any business! I don't think anyone can build / grow business sticking on to something very specific; say MUVs/SUVs. If Mahindra was happy with their UV range, they would have NOT bothered to take over Reva, not bothered about a sub 4m Verito etc right? Not to talk about their 2 wheeler business.
When did I say diversification is bad? All I said was back then having 2 MUVs and a corolla probably didn't make much sense for the brand since the market for UVs for limited. But now they can surely afford to have multiple UVs in there line up. They already have cars in most categories from hatches to sedans. So that takes care of all the diversification needed. But there is no denying that there most success has come from MUV/SUVs. So having another people's mover in there line up is indeed sensible IMHO.

Last edited by drmohitg : 12th February 2013 at 21:10.
drmohitg is online now  
Old 12th February 2013, 22:59   #43
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,365
Thanked: 13,331 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

On the first look the front end somehow resembles the Honda City and the rear looks like New Hyundai Elantra.

If this how the 2015 model looks can't imagine what the Innova would look like! Hope Toyota does not overkill and ruin the car.

Fingers crossed!
a4anurag is online now  
Old 18th February 2013, 12:06   #44
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 992
Thanked: 469 Times
Default Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
On the first look the front end somehow resembles the Honda City and the rear looks like New Hyundai Elantra.

If this how the 2015 model looks can't imagine what the Innova would look like! Hope Toyota does not overkill and ruin the car.

Fingers crossed!
Its actually a 2013 Corolla that we neglected Indians will get in 2015 !! Toyota needs to take us more seriously and give more respect to the spending power of the Indian consumer. They dont have plans to get a Vios into India. The Vios, City, Verna segment is probably one of the hottest in India!!
nik_kapur is offline  
Old 25th March 2013, 08:02   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,335
Thanked: 921 Times
Default

Hormazd in the Autocar show had some promising updates on the innova.

Apparently Toyota has moved the generation change to 2016 with a view to make the change as significant as possible. Emphasis will be given to make the vehicle much more stylish, more spacious, provided a more powerful engine (this is a first - in previous updates it was suggested that the engine size would not be increased to preserve longevity of the vehicle), and will also sport automatic transmission.

Al this certainly makes it worth a wait. I just hope that Toyota don't stretch us and launch all variants including A/T from the very beginning. I really hope Toyota delivers on all the above fronts - I'm a sure customer by 2016 for that one (even sooner if they launch sooner).
Axe77 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford India to launch 8 new cars by 2015! GTO The Indian Car Scene 97 7th October 2015 22:20
New Altis Launch 16th June !!! New Liva Launch 27th June camchennai The Indian Car Scene 218 24th June 2011 22:31
All new Corolla coming soon EDIT: Corolla Altis now Launched extreme_torque The Indian Car Scene 295 19th September 2008 23:48
New Toyota Corolla & Volkswagen Jetta launch dates in India? hollaback The Indian Car Scene 17 21st May 2008 13:29
Toyota to launch mid-sized sedans! talkingpebbles The Indian Car Scene 13 26th October 2006 08:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks