Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2006, 14:29   #16
BHPian
 
ivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective
Ah! Finally some independent verification. Incidentally, it's interesting that the article talks about boot adjustments--I think they put in a new boot carpet, besides new components like the screw to hold the tyre in. But I don't see any reduction in boot space

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Is maruti replacing it with a wider tyre + alloy combo or wider tyre + steel wheel combo?
Wider tyre (same as the 4 the ZXi runs on) + alloy. It's the same alloy + tyre that the ZXi has on the 4 wheels.
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 14:31   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
islero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,574
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

They made a serious mistake, and they fixed it up properly. Goodwill does not have anything to do with endangering the lives of customers by supplying a lighter tread.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 14:44   #18
BHPian
 
sumitkalindi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 374
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
They made a serious mistake, and they fixed it up properly. Goodwill does not have anything to do with endangering the lives of customers by supplying a lighter tread.
Well I have experience with imported cars, seems they come with spare rubber not even tire. If you had experience like it you may understand what I am talking about.

So this IS a international practice after all.

But a recall by Maruti of this, speaks volumes of the company, incidentally this may be the first recall by any company in the whole world on these grounds.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 15:25   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,367
Thanked: 387 Times
Default

If the spare tyre with light tread is not dangerous , why recall when apparently no one even knew that the 5th tyre had lighter tread ? Its mentioned in the manual but the since no one read the manual no one noticed !

To me this recall seems more of a Panic move by MUL. To stop this news from spreading far and wide . If it spreads people might go and cancel their bookings . The ALLOY seems to be the sugar coating !

Swift owners - Do the ZXi and VXi and LXi versions come with the same rubber say for example MRF or Bridgestone ? or does the ZXi have Bridgestones while the LXi has MRF's ?? Just asking out of curiosity.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 15:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,896
Thanked: 2,477 Times
Default

This news is indeed true because when I told this to my friend who has Swift ZXi in Baroda, he called up his dealer & the dealer confirmed this stating that he would be sending letter to all the owners regarding the same & that he would be getting his letter soon
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 15:27   #21
BHPian
 
mohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto / Kurukshetra
Posts: 641
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

Quote:
Swift owners - Do the ZXi and VXi and LXi versions come with the same rubber say for example MRF or Bridgestone ? or does the ZXi have Bridgestones while the LXi has MRF's ?? Just asking out of curiosity.
I believe all ride on JK tubeless. The ZXi obviously has wider tyres
mohit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 15:32   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
Rtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,769
Thanked: 212 Times
Default

What is this talk of "light tread"? I've never heard of this term ever. If Maruti provides a brand new spare tyre, one which has passed the quality checks at the tyre factory as well as (hopefully) maruti, where does the question of a tyre with less (than legal) tread come into the question?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 15:34   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

If I recall correctly , it's the JK Tornado on the LXi & VXi, and JK Vectra on ZXi
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 15:46   #24
BHPian
 
ivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
If the spare tyre with light tread is not dangerous , why recall when apparently no one even knew that the 5th tyre had lighter tread ? Its mentioned in the manual but the since no one read the manual no one noticed !

To me this recall seems more of a Panic move by MUL. To stop this news from spreading far and wide . If it spreads people might go and cancel their bookings . The ALLOY seems to be the sugar coating !

Swift owners - Do the ZXi and VXi and LXi versions come with the same rubber say for example MRF or Bridgestone ? or does the ZXi have Bridgestones while the LXi has MRF's ?? Just asking out of curiosity.
Any Swift ZXi owner who has seen the spare tyre closely would know that his spare tyre is different. Firstly, it was steel rimmed, secondly, the ratings are clearly different.

Hmmm....wouldn't agree with that 'panic move' theory. This spare tyre on ZXi being thinner and being a steel tyre has been well known for a while and has been documented on Team-BHP too. I think Maruti just decided to play safe before some accidents happened and then rumours started....incidentally, they aren't creating a song-and-dance about this--doing it quietly and without any panic.

All the tyres on Swifts are JK-made tubeless tyres. Here are the details:

LXi : 165/80 R 14 steel wheels
VXi : 165/80 R 14 steel wheels with cap
ZXi : 185/70 R 14 alloys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
What is this talk of "light tread"? I've never heard of this term ever. If Maruti provides a brand new spare tyre, one which has passed the quality checks at the tyre factory as well as (hopefully) maruti, where does the question of a tyre with less (than legal) tread come into the question?
Just a slightly thinner tyre with a higher wall, that's it. Nothing illegal or legal about it--is an internationally accepted practice, but Maruti got flak for it in India from car lovers. As a buyer, I don't think it was fair on Maruti's part to provided the cheaper/thinner spare tyre, internationally-accepted practice nothwithstanding.
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 16:05   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
Rtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,769
Thanked: 212 Times
Default

Quote:
As a buyer, I don't think it was fair on Maruti's part to provided the cheaper/thinner spare tyre, internationally-accepted practice nothwithstanding.
Maruti has done nothing wrong by providing the thinner tyre on a steel rim to its customers. The Swift is afterall a small inexpensive hatchback, made to a price.

Incidently, almost every large luxury car or sports car in the world runs either a donut (space saver which looks like a rickshaw tyre!) or no spare at all and just provide you with a puncture sealant.

Lets not jump to false conclusions here and accuse Maruti of recalling the spare wheel because it was unsafe. Instead, lets give them credit that they are taking a proactive step by providing an alloy wheel and wider tyre to their customers in order to keep them happy.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 16:08   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Wider tyre is OK but with alloy.... thats a good news coz spare tyre almost always comes with steel rims.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 16:24   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,367
Thanked: 387 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivor
Any Swift ZXi owner who has seen the spare tyre closely would know that his spare tyre is different. Firstly, it was steel rimmed, secondly, the ratings are clearly different.
Ivor,

I am assuming this - you went to the service centre and saw the display regarding the recall only then did you check out your spare wheel closely , right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivor
Hmmm....wouldn't agree with that 'panic move' theory. This spare tyre on ZXi being thinner and being a steel tyre has been well known for a while and has been documented on Team-BHP too. I think Maruti just decided to play safe before some accidents happened and then rumours started....incidentally, they aren't creating a song-and-dance about this--doing it quietly and without any panic.
exactly - doing it quietly without a song and dance means they dont want everybody to know. This creates a doubt in my mind. And yes even my Ford Ikon has a steel rim on the spare , nothing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivor
All the tyres on Swifts are JK-made tubeless tyres. Here are the details:

LXi : 165/80 R 14 steel wheels
VXi : 165/80 R 14 steel wheels with cap
ZXi : 185/70 R 14 alloys



Just a slightly thinner tyre with a higher wall, that's it. Nothing illegal or legal about it--is an internationally accepted practice, but Maruti got flak for it in India from car lovers. As a buyer, I don't think it was fair on Maruti's part to provided the cheaper/thinner spare tyre, internationally-accepted practice nothwithstanding.
Yes its a panic move - if they started replacements after getting flak. They obviously dint want to loose customers , no one would. The alloy is just the ICING as I said.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 9th May 2006 at 16:31.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 16:29   #28
BHPian
 
ivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Maruti has done nothing wrong by providing the thinner tyre on a steel rim to its customers. The Swift is afterall a small inexpensive hatchback, made to a price.

Incidently, almost every large luxury car or sports car in the world runs either a donut (space saver which looks like a rickshaw tyre!) or no spare at all and just provide you with a puncture sealant.

Instead, lets give them credit that they are taking a proactive step by providing an alloy wheel and wider tyre to their customers in order to keep them happy.
I'm not saying Maruti sinned by giving me a steel spare wheel. Hey, I bought the Swift despite knowing that!

And yes, you're absolutely right--Maruti deserves credit for this proactive move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Wider tyre is OK but with alloy.... thats a good news coz spare tyre almost always comes with steel rims.
Incidentally, RTech and extreme_torque, the Getz version with alloys comes with an alloy in the boot as a spare wheel.

I believe the Palio version with alloys comes with a steel wheel as spare, but am not completely sure about this.
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 16:35   #29
BHPian
 
ivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Ivor,

I am assuming this - you went to the service centre and saw the display regarding the recall only then did you check out your spare wheel closely , right ?

Yes its a panic move - if they started replacements after getting flak. They obviously dint want to loose customers , no one would. The alloy is just the ICICNG as I said.
No, I knew about this well before I bought the car. It has been documented on Team-BHP before, even pictorially. I knew the tyre was thinner and it wasn't an alloy.

When I was considering the Swift, I checked with the dealer regarding this and got his views and after purchase read the manual and saw what Maruti had to say officially about this.

Hmmm...I don't think it's a panic move. I think it's a smart move, anticipating that rumours could start, and hence squelching the source of the issue before anything could start. Frankly, I don't think it would have made a serious difference and I think Maruti would have gotten away with just giving alloys on new ZXis only (the Swift is doing so well, this wouldn't have made any significant dent), but I think Maruti has done a commendable job by replacing all ZXi tyres for free.
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 17:28   #30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: hyderbad
Posts: 21
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Well Done

Certainly ...speaks volumes about the customer focus of a company... Thats why Maruti rules the car market in India
sendu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Swift ZXI Old version or Swift VXI New Version? kirantp Hatchbacks 16 31st December 2011 07:30
Swift ZXI tyre help - Sidewall cut invincible7 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 21st July 2009 14:58
ZING ZING Sound @ SWIFT ZXI Front Left Tyre. Travelbug Technical Stuff 11 19th September 2008 17:15
swift (zxi/vxi) is zxi vfm? karty_83 Hatchbacks 30 10th May 2007 14:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks