Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th May 2006, 16:29   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
... but .. did not want to create a new thread for this ..
Which of the 'alloyed' Indian cars (say within 15 Lakh) does come with an Alloy spare ?
Another, hopefully related question:

How many car makers clearly mention in their spec/variants details list (that a customer sees before purchase) that the spare tyre will be a non-alloy and of a different rating?
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 18:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
@ivor: I know they are replacing tyre+alloy, my only query was, what they gonna do with the tyre that they will be getting back & out of those the ones which are used even slightly. Hmm gotta find this out with some dealer.
I asked my service centre today. They said the customer can keep his old tyre if he wants!!!!!!

Shucks, wish they told me about this when they exchanged the tyre on Monday! But anyway....

Another thing--the reason they are not sending out mass letters is because stocks of these new tyres come in batches. So, as and when ZXis come for service, they change the tyre and in cases where they have extra stock, they call a few customers from their database and ask them to come in for the spare tyre change.
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 11:32   #48
BHPian

Hi All,

I got my replacement from RNS motors bangalore on saturday. They are replacing the alloy wheel when the car comes for servicing. They also have a few extra which they are willing to replace like mine.

I got Alloy wheel with new tyre, new carpet, longer bolt. i asked for the suzuki emblem for the wheel which they said they do not have and said they will issue when they get from maruti.

Overall it took a few minutes for the whole thing to be replaced.
pshyamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 21:49   #49
BHPian

Ok, so if i experience a flat at 20,000 K and you expect me to put a spare tyre that is brand new, along with other 3 used tyres? DUMB

Maruti did the wrong thing by adding 5th tyre + alloy for Zxi.
A small and lighter steel spare in the store is a better option.
Why carry a heavy tyre+alloy at the back all the time!

Why not educate the masses who are so new to the concept of driving a civilized car.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 22:00   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Ok, so if i experience a flat at 20,000 K and you expect me to put a spare tyre that is brand new, along with other 3 used tyres? DUMB

Why not educate the masses who are so new to the concept of driving a civilized car.
You are supposed to use that brand new spare tyre for abt 50kms or so until you have time to get your punctured tyre repaired. After that, the spare tyre goes back in the boot.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 22:21   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Why not? Especially when you in the middle of nowhere!

Quote:

Small I understand, but Steels are lighter than alloys? educate me please.

IMO, I really wouldnt mind an extra alloy WITH same sized tyres! Even if its just for aesthetics!

And why revive a very old thread just for this?
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 22:41   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Smaller spare tyre for the Captiva

The Captiva now comes with a smaller spare wheel as per their specs sheet. The standard tyres are 235/60 R17 riding on 7J X 17 alloys while the spare is a 215/70R16 fitted on a 6.5 J X 16 steel wheel.

Are Chevy going to do a Swift ZXi for India?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 23:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

alloys are lighter than steel rims of the same size..you obiously cant compare a 13 inch steel to a 17 inch alloy but if its the same size its lighter.

rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 03:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here we go again, discussing a 3 year old topic!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 09:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

@aerohit, my April 2008 Swift Zxi came with a 5th Alloy & full size tyre in the boot.

BTW, I swapped all 5 alloys and tyres for 4 aftermarket alloys and tyres, and a stock tyre & stock steel-wheel from a Swift Lxi. Nobody really needs a full-size alloy & tyre to get to the nearest tyre-shop. Especially not, with tubeless tyres on the car.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@aerohit, my April 2008 Swift Zxi came with a 5th Alloy & full size tyre in the boot.

BTW, I swapped all 5 alloys and tyres for 4 aftermarket alloys and tyres, and a stock tyre & stock steel-wheel from a Swift Lxi. Nobody really needs a full-size alloy & tyre to get to the nearest tyre-shop. Especially not, with tubeless tyres on the car.
I went for 5 Lenso alloys + 195/60/15 on my Swift. Reason being the dynamic market for alloys. Designs might not be available 6 months down the line. So god forbid, if one alloy cracks or something, I have a spare alloy to use. Dont ask what if 2 alloys crack
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed something that can happen, but to me the amount of risk would not be worth the 11,400.00 that I'd have had to pay for a 5th full-size tyre+alloy set (16" Lenso MW + 205/50 R16 Yoko S-Drive). Not to mention the problem of fitting 205 section tyre fitted on a 16" alloy into the Swift's Spare-wheel well without a quite a bit of jugaad.

Another good reason to drive carefully
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote