Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2014, 22:06   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
A distinguished BHPian and a Yeti owner. I'm sure its the Elegance you have. For people like me who've been waiting eagerly for the new Yeti, your opinion will really matter. Would you please tell us why we should still buy the Yeti over the Duster AWD. Lower ground clearance, extra money notwithstanding.

If you read the spec sheets of top end models of both these 4x4 cars, I'm pretty sure you won't need anyone else to explain why. Being a super price sensitive market, obviously a budget car sells but that does not undo the qualities of a much better specced and better engineered car.
Old 16th August 2014, 22:19   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)

Quote:
distinguished BHPian and Yeti owner. And your chipping in is what i really wanted. Thanks for your valuable opinion. It'll certainly help a lot of people.
I am sure, someone like Ajay (who has responded just above) can give you a better insight than me on this topic.

And I would value his comments more than mine on this discussion.

Reasons being -

# He knows his cars better than mine. (Skoda)

# Though, I have driven the Yeti for over 20,000 kms (& continue to drive) the Car isn't mine. It is my brother's (cousin).

I have a Figo D (Titanium) which I am contemplating to change because of GC issues and can't decide between the AWD XUV and this 4WD Duster.

# I haven't spent any time with the Duster/Terrano.

So, some one like Ajay's post would be considered more Distinguished.

I am waiting for further reports from Sudev Sir & other BHPians on this.
Old 16th August 2014, 23:08   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is just too good! I thought the power on 110 started beyond 1800/2000 RPM. If it starts from 1500, then I dont see a need for 85 (which I got for the same reason)!

Have they changed engine parameters?
I think the shorter first gear and the tweak to the ICU are the reasons.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 06:55   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Power boost from turbo is around 1800rpm but at around 1500rpm the car pulls good
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 16:40   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Better interiors, lighter clutch and multi link suspension all round + AWD

This Duster looks VFM when compared to the existing top variant.
Old 17th August 2014, 17:36   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Better interiors, lighter clutch and multi link suspension all round + AWD

This Duster looks VFM when compared to the existing top variant.
Not exactly VFM when you compare the difference in prices between the S Cross in and the Dacia Duster in UK.

As per the Carbuyer.Co.Uk comparo the SX Cross 1.6 DDIS Allgrip Manual transmission, costs UK Sterling 23549 Vs UK Sterling 15495 for the Dacia Duster Laureate 110 4X4.

In India the on road price for the 2WD Duster is Rs 13.2 lakh . If MSIL prices the S Cross with Allgrip at Rs 13 Lakh ( on road) the Duster should sell for a lot less. It seems either the S Cross is overpriced in UK or the Duster is over priced in India.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/compare-cars/112945,63625
Old 17th August 2014, 18:37   #142
BHPian

I like the strategy of Renault,they are bringing in changes slowly and steadily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
From the reviews (from various magazines) so far I could gather following points:
  1. Light clutch compared to the 2WD version
  2. Very low first gear, almost working as low range
  3. Tweaked ICU which delivers better low end
  4. New instrument cluster
  5. Audio controls on the steering wheel (not behind)
  6. Cruise control
  7. Black-gray interiors
  8. ESP and Hill start
Sounds good so far. Wish they could stretch the wheelbase by 10 cm and make it 5+2 which would have filled the void in the 15-20 lac (7 seater SUV) segment
I think audio controls are still on the pod.Even new Koleos comes with similar unit,I think.Is that switch near horn pad for cruise control?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th August 2014 at 22:08. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option when posting within 30mins on the same thread.
Old 17th August 2014, 19:12   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
I think audio controls are still on the pod.Even new Koleos comes with similar unit,I think.Is that switch near horn pad for cruise control?
On both sides? I think you are right. None of the reviews have highlighted it.
Old 17th August 2014, 19:46   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

A few questions from my side regarding the 4x4 Duster:
Has the reverse ratio been dropped, like first?
What is the weight penalty of the 4x4?
Weight distribution (of both 4x2 and 4x4)?
How was the clutch made lighter?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th August 2014, 21:29   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
How was the clutch made lighter?
Regarding the clutch, there is a retrofit of the clutch pedal assembly being done to all dusters including the 2WD versions. Basically, they have spring loaded the clutch peal to assist the driver. That is pretty much it, nothing more. Any existing 2WD owner can have this retrofitted by the dealer.

This website should answer the questions regarding the gear ratio and wight difference.
http://www.renault.co.za/cars/duster...fications.html
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 22:24   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Not exactly VFM when you compare the difference in prices between the S Cross in and the Dacia Duster in UK.

As per the Carbuyer.Co.Uk comparo the SX Cross 1.6 DDIS Allgrip Manual transmission, costs UK Sterling 23549 Vs UK Sterling 15495 for the Dacia Duster Laureate 110 4X4.

In India the on road price for the 2WD Duster is Rs 13.2 lakh . If MSIL prices the S Cross with Allgrip at Rs 13 Lakh ( on road) the Duster should sell for a lot less. It seems either the S Cross is overpriced in UK or the Duster is over priced in India.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/compare-cars/112945,63625
Can't comment on the S Cross UK pricing, but the duster is definitely over priced in india IMO. By the looks of it, I think the 110 4x4 will cross the 15 lakhs mark.
Old 17th August 2014, 22:47   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not a topic for this thread, but I doubt if this would happen. The S-Cross first of all I doubt if it it would even come with all grid. Even if it comes, it would most probably come as a late entrant. And pricing is something which we dont even want to speculate at this stage.
Old 17th August 2014, 22:59   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yep. Compact SUVs are overpriced in our market. Exactly the reason why I said 'when compared to the existing top variant'. As per the ACI review, all that kit on the AWD will come at just a 80k premium.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:37   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A distinguished BHPian and a Yeti owner. I'm sure its the Elegance you have. For people like me who've been waiting eagerly for the new Yeti, your opinion will really matter. Would you please tell us why we should still buy the Yeti over the Duster AWD. Lower ground clearance, extra money notwithstanding.

Yes I have an Elegance and mistake me not, its been a lovely vehicle throughout the three years I have owned it so far. I really like it and enjoy driving it every day.

However, in ref to the Duster, my reasons are absolutely clear. I am an exponent of function over form by and large. I do like form too, but I place a higher value on function generally. I was, remember, upgrading at the time from a Scorpio.

I kept delaying my purchase throughout 2011 because every auto mag was printing assurances that the Duster was just around the corner and that there would be a 4x4 and all the rest of it. Finally I got thoroughly sick of waiting and not having any clarity whatsoever and just went and bought the Yeti.

Had I had the option at the time that I was in the market, of the 4x4 Duster with ALL bells and whistles (read Full blooded Euro top spec), I would have bought it without batting an eyelid. I state unequivocally that I would have bought it in preference to the Yeti.

The Duster is tougher in general. It is significantly less expensive, has higher ground clearance. Its nice and roomy and not too large on our roads. More "beat-able" overall than the Yeti (this might be psychological but it is very much a factor in my head). Renaults have excellent ride quality and they are amongst the BEST in terms of suspension etc - comes of being designed to run on those horrid cobbled village roads of rural France and the corrugated muddy roads of the farms I guess. Renaults are generally cheap to run and maintain compared with Skoda vehicles.

I might still wait for my Yeti to run its natural course and then go out there and buy a Duster 4x4 if by then they do come out with a top spec. Else, I guess I shall have to wait for the Tiguan or Qashqai perhaps consider an un-necessarily expensive LR Freelander or something one day...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 12:47   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Shameful standard response, despite me explicitly mentioning that the e-mail is sent after cars were sent for media test drives in Pune.

Quote:
Dear Sir / Madam,

Greetings from Renault India!

Thank you for patronizing towards Renault and its product.

This is with the reference to your enquiry in regards launch date of Duster 4WD in India.

We would like to inform you that currently, we do not have the information about the launch date of Duster 4WD in India. Once it will launch, you will be informed via media pattern.

Assuring of our best services at all times.

Once again thank you for showing your interest in Renault.

Best Regards.
Renault India Customer Care
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread