Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th January 2013, 17:07   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Mahindra expands production of the XUV500, Quanto & Rexton

At a time when the rest of the industry is suffering from poor demand & excess capacity, it's a nice position to be in for Mahindra.

Mahindra announces that it has hiked the capacities of some products. The production of the Quanto has been raised to 3,500 units, XUV500 to 4,500 units and the Rexton to 500 units per month.

Mahindra hopes to bring down the waiting period for these UVs. In addition, the bookings for the trio have been opened across more centres in India. The Quanto has garnered bookings of 12000+ units, while the Rexton has 1500+ bookings so far.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 17:41   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra expands production of the XUV500, Quanto & Rexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

At a time when the rest of the industry is suffering from poor demand & excess capacity, it's a nice position to be in for Mahindra.

Mahindra announces that it has hiked the capacities of some products. The production of the Quanto has been raised to 3,500 units, XUV500 to 4,500 units and the Rexton to 500 units per month.

Mahindra hopes to bring down the waiting period for these UVs. In addition, the bookings for the trio have been opened across more centres in India. The Quanto has garnered bookings of 12000+ units, while the Rexton has 1500+ bookings so far.
Mahindra UVs in general are vfm alternatives to other products available in market and make for more sensible purchase when other manufacturers are either increasing their prices on daily basis or are available only on internet for view as either the products are not launched or having exaggerated waiting period. They get what they deserve.
Dr.Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 17:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

If Renault India keeps on increasing the price for Duster, Mahindra will see far more takers for it's XUV500.
It is very important for Mahindra to reduce the waiting period to attract customers looking for options in the C2 or D segment.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 20:34   #4
BHPian

I wonder if there is any waiting time for XUV.

Given the fact the consumers have credible alternatives in the Duster, I wonder if the waiting line would continue to grow. Almost a year now and i have my brake issues unsorted in my XUV.
sheelapratosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 20:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome move by Mahindra. Goes a long way to show that the right product with the right pricing would always do well, no matter how the overall market is. They have so far been spot on in gauging what the Indian buyer needs be it the Quanto, Bolero or the XUV.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 12:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

It just goes on to show if you build right product and has a right price sticker to it, there will be many takers. Although i believe instead of addressing the demand problem first, they should have looked at the QC problem. That to me is the only deal breaker.

Whats up with Rexton? Is that also doing good numbers? Havent seen one on the road yet.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 13:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Mahindra expands production of the XUV500, Quanto & Rexton

Does this means that Xylo's production is hit? Or is Mahindra trying to push only the fast selling ones by increasing the production? I guess this is the Nashik plant we are talking about, right?

Was surprised to know that there was a waiting period for Quanto? last time I had enquired at Mahindra dealer, they said it is available off the shelf (delivery within a week kind)
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 15:46   #8
BHPian

Post Re: Mahindra expands production of the XUV500, Quanto & Rexton

In the automotive world, it certainly is a great time to be a Mahindra right now! They seem to have the pulse of the Indian UV psyche; and how!

Also I agree whole-heatedly with Mayank there.

Mahindra's success story is ample proof that the right product with a right price tag can do wonders; even reverse the market trend. They've practically redefined the term VFM. Now only if Mahindra concentrates on delivering quality and not skimping on it, they could be in a different orbit.

They most definitely have the critical mass. Goodluck to them.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 16:02   #9
BHPian

By when we can expect some discounts being offered on XUV W8 ? I guess when they increase the capacity this can be one thing which we should look out for...
rajesh.sml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 18:43   #10
BHPian

I know from someone in Mahindra that they are ready with W10 and W12 variants also with even more features like a multimedia touch screen, sunroof, etc. What I don't know is if these variants will be launched in India or will be reserved for the export markets.
shimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 15:21   #11
BHPian

Wonder how the Quanto is picking up in numbers!

I had a terrible feel after test driving the Quanto and decided will never suggest this car to anyone. I mean, it was just a piece of horrible machine with a grossly under powered engine and shocking looks!

Last edited by vinair : 16th January 2013 at 15:25.
vinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 16:15   #12
BHPian

Test drove a Rexton today.

Amazing ride quality, good looks and plush interiors. No wonder it's doing the numbers.

There are many shortcomings though. Reserving the comments for a dedicated thread.
tachobells is offline   Reply With Quote