Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Tata/Mahindra Owners: Did "Patriotism" Play A Role In Your Car Purchasing Decision?
Absolutely! I always believe(d) in buying "Desi" 30 15.87%
Maybe. At a sub-conscious level perhaps. 64 33.86%
No. I bought a Mahindra/Tata because of its qualities. 95 50.26%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th June 2014, 06:46   #91
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata / Mahindra Car Owners: Did "Patriotism" play a role in your buying decision?

Though I selected the option - Absolutely! I always believe(d) in buying "Desi", this was my line of thought back in 2004 when I bought the Tata Indica.
However, after experiencing the Tata service and part quality, I didn't want to risk it again when I wanted to upgrade to a sedan (had actually moved from an Esteem to Indica so that was a good comparo right there!) as it would be much more expensive and I wanted a more reliable, low maintenance car and a good service network to back it up. Wasn't difficult to decide on Maruti Suzuki. Also, markets have changed, everything is global in some way so there is no real completely "desi" car now!
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 07:27   #92
BANNED

Default Re: Tata / Mahindra Car Owners: Did "Patriotism" play a role in your buying decision?

Amused that such a thread exists.

If this was patriotism, them all of us should first stop driving or riding. As most of our petrol/diesel comes from imported crude.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 09:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Patriotism really did not play a part in the purchase of the Manza in 2011, it ticked all the items or wishlist that we had for the car and the availability. At the same time the Dzire was commanding a 5 months waiting period, thats kind of gross in the 21st century because if someone is looking to buy something new, it should be readily available.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 10:29   #94
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I voted for 'No. I bought a Mahindra/Tata because of its qualities' as Mahindra XUV 500 W8 only ticked all my requirements. My essential requirements were ESP, cruise control and all features of my erstwhile FIAT Linea. When I test-drove Renault Duster [110 PS top variant], it did not have ACC, ESP, cruise control, hand-rest, dead pedal, speed-sensitive automatic central locking, etc. Tata Safari Storme VX did not have multi-information display, ACC and dead-pedal. The other American, European, Korean and Japanese SUVs were all beyond my budget, and hence, not considered.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote