Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd April 2013, 16:12   #181
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) Launched @ Rs. 4.99-7.51 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
My friend cancelled his booking for the Chevy Sail sedan petrol as there was no sign of delivery even after one and half months.
Why do they boast of so many bookings when they cant deliver. With the Honda Amaze coming, the Sail sedan seems to be an extinct species already. Sad for a competent car.
This is crazy !! There are hardly any Sail sedans selling, And still we have waiting period ? Are they like importing these from China ?

Or did GM assume that only Diesel will sell ? Your friend did a right thing. Chevy sail+petrol would mean no resale after few years(Since its not selling at all)
rajshenoy is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:30   #182
BHPian

Friends,

I have seen two SAIL sedans on yesterday in Chennai. A white one at Redhills toll gate and a red one at Mogappair. For me, in flesh this car looks good and has a potential to get success if is a performer. But if Chevrolet is not able to deliver the cars, then there is no point in discussing about this car.

I agree with one of our members view on getting suspicious on not having the TBHP review though after 2 months of launch.

Chevy, are you listening to people?
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 03:32   #183
BHPian

Exclamation Chevy Sail Sedan Diesel

I have formed a separate topic as everyone else has the thread about the hatch and not the Sedan if someone knows if there is a sedan topic then merge the thread please.

I recently drove the car.

The Brakes are amazing. The car has very good control at High Speed.

I did not like the dynamics of the car. If you went into a turn too fast the rear will come out and you will drift across the road.

It has very bad acceleration. If you are on a slope, I am sure you will find it a struggle to move. It has very bad low end torque.

It is very difficult to press the horn.

The Tachometer is in digital so it makes it really hard to see it and it is on the extreme left side of the guages.

Most importantly the seats feel very small and very uncomfortable. A 10 km test drive also was tiring.

The A/C was ok. The Quality is not that great and I am not sure if the car will be in very good shape even after a few months.

I would certainly not pay 10 lakhs for this car in it's current state.

The suspension is also not that good.

The engine is quieter in the sedan than the Enjoy.

I drove the Enjoy also and in my opinion the Enjoy had much better ride and it's engine is tuned for much better low end drivability. I did not pass 80 on the Enjoy so cannot say about how good it feels at higher speeds.
supercars is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 12:20   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Just about 4 months after launch in India the SAIL sedan facelift is spied testing in China;

Name:  ChevroletSailSedanfaceliftChina2.jpg
Views: 4609
Size:  118.8 KB

Source: http://www.carnewschina.com/2013/06/..._source=feedly
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 14:33   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

General Motors Recalls Chevrolet Sail In China. Is India recall on Cards?

Quote:
The fault appears to be with a bracket that secures the fuel pump. According to the recall statement, the bracket could crack and collapse after prolonged use and may prove hazardous. However, GM also defends the statement saying that this event has not occurred in any of the models and that the recall is a precautionary measure.
Cheers!

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/genera...sail-in-china/
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 17:14   #186
BHPian

Arrow Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) facelift spotted uncamouflaged

Chevrolet Sail Sedan Facelift spotted uncamouflaged in China.

Name:  PicsArt_1404214722152.jpg
Views: 2314
Size:  251.8 KB

Name:  PicsArt_1404214713511.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  202.0 KB

Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) Launched @ Rs. 4.99-7.51 Lakhs-picsart_1404214703025.jpg

Source:: IAB
KING DYSP is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:23   #187
Senior - BHPian

This faceift is not going to do any good to the car. It is a good car and I have no doubts on that. However, the interiors are drab and dull. It needs an interior overhaul.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 11:09   #188
BHPian

Post Re: Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) Launched @ Rs. 4.99-7.51 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
This faceift is not going to do any good to the car. It is a good car and I have no doubts on that. However, the interiors are drab and dull. It needs an interior overhaul.
Please take a look at this IAB post. It does look like they are indeed changing the interiors as well. If true, the new interiors look far better than what is on the car right now.

y2ksrs is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 11:33   #189
BHPian

I feel Chevy should be putting in bigger tires on the new facelife model. The wheels look puny compared to the body and spoil the stance. The Sail is a decent car but failed to click with the Indian audience because nothing about it is outstanding.
trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 12:18   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

When I had checked out the car, I found the interiors to be dull. Added to it, the steering design was boring and stereo looks were pathetic.

Above all, the SAs attitude was quite disappointing - they thought they had a cracker in their hands (with the pricing) and was a bit arrogant in dealing with me. Out of this, looks like the stereo design is going to stay!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 11:40   #191
BHPian

Default New SAIL is about the launch very shortly

A credible source tells me that the New SAIL is about the launch very shortly.

In his opinion this version is going to be the rich version with full of Global GM standards quality built instead of the "Made for India and Indian conditions (so as to reduce price tag)".

A full black rich interiors (like we see in Cruze) is comming in this version. He opined that with this Global best seller GM is not interested in the cut down cost reduced version to pump up the sales but instead going Full quality version and going its own way to strike chords with Indians, even if that means select but its own class buying it. The prices are likely to be shooting UP.

This model will also to exported to Latin American and African countries.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 12:33   #192
BHPian

Default Re: New SAIL is about the launch very shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post

In his opinion this version is going to be the rich version with full of Global GM standards quality built instead of the "Made for India and Indian conditions (so as to reduce price tag)".

A full black rich interiors (like we see in Cruze) is comming in this version. He opined that with this Global best seller GM is not interested in the cut down cost reduced version to pump up the sales but instead going Full quality version and going its own way to strike chords with Indians, even if that means select but its own class buying it. The prices are likely to be shooting UP.

That's good news. I have always found the Sail to be a pretty decent looking sedan. It only needed better interiors and a good marketing campaign.

However, with the Zest & Accent now in the race, I am not sure how much the revamped model of Sail be able to interest buyers?

Still its a good sign that Chevy is trying to revive the product. More choice to the buyers.
trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 22:17   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
That's good news. I have always found the Sail to be a pretty decent looking sedan. It only needed better interiors and a good marketing campaign.

However, with the Zest & Accent now in the race, I am not sure how much the revamped model of Sail be able to interest buyers?

Still its a good sign that Chevy is trying to revive the product. More choice to the buyers.
Well, today I came across some new Chevrolet promotion. Image for the same is attached. It mentioned 5 days still to go. The overall profile seems to be that of Sail Twins. Personally, I have had a hand on Sail and the build was much better than Amaze, in tune with Xcent. The interior quality might not be the same, but it felt very well put together. The hood too weighed in much more than Xcent, Amaze. I am sure the chassis would be almost as crashworthy as Xcent. Amaze might not even be considered for this race. Minor oversights like having the power window switches at wrong location, etc. may put off buyers. More than 2 individuals I know did consider chevrolet Sail sedan, but lack of success put them off.

Lets hope for the best. This is a car which I would certainly recommend over ( purely my opinion ) flimsy Amaze.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) Launched @ Rs. 4.99-7.51 Lakhs-new-sail-twins.jpg  

aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 13:49   #194
BHPian

The SAIL is good car and that it did not do well here is sad , thanks to the dull interiors mainly + the competition being better.

These pictures from the facelifted Chinese model look good and i hope Chevy India does not "Indianise" it.This should give the car a much needed boost and make it competent enough in all aspects compared to the competition ( Dzire , Amaze, Xcent etc) . This should make the car look and feel more premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post

Slightly OT:

While what Chevy is planning to do with the facelifted SAIL ie. not cutting down on quality , keeping it to full global GM standards etc is good to hear, i really hope they replace RK Ranjan's Captiva and do a free safety audit for all the Captiva's in India - this should actually improve the trust we have towards the GM brand.
The Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 15:46   #195
Senior - BHPian

Now, ACI does report about the updates. Nowhere is it mentioned that Power Window switches will move to door. Better ergonomics are definitely required specially when the competition is far ahead in terms of powertrains. Mediocre powertrains + not so good ergonomics spoil the entire package IMO.

Source : http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...es-390555.aspx

Article :

Quote:
General Motors India will launch updated versions of the Sail hatchback and the sedan on September 24.
According to sources at General Motors, enhancing the cabin ambience has been the focus of the update. The dashboard will now come finished in dual tone black and beige plastics, and there will be chrome surrounds for the air-conditioning vents and gear lever. A black steering and better materials throughout the cabin are likely to be some of the other changes.

While GM has revealed a facelifted version of the Sail sedan in China, India won't be getting that version. Changes to the exteriors will include chrome surrounds for the fog lamps and a chrome strip on the back. Prices for the Sails are likely to remain unchanged.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st September 2014 at 15:47.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote