Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st September 2014, 18:18   #196
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, why bother? I am yet to see >3-4 sail sedan/hatchbacks after > 1 yr of launch. Chevrolet seems to have lost its relevance in the Indian car scene.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:10   #197
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) Launched @ Rs. 4.99-7.51 Lakhs

We only saw the burst of new launches because of SAIC. and now that people have out right rejected the Chinese designs here, Chevy had to do something drastic and i dont see anything happening yet !!

Pity that they never tried to counter(or just ape) Ford with a mini SUV.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 09:28   #198
Senior - BHPian

This is one sedan that no one ever bothered with, not even the cab segment. Even with most of the C1 sedans being compact sedans and this not-compact sedan being priced on par, the Sail couldn't even sell to the cab segment. The competition there, primarily Dzire Tour, Etios and Verito are not so exciting either and GM really need to look at where they lost the plot.

The face lifted model for China market looks much better, especially at the rear and the interiors and now provides an opportunity for private buyers to consider it, though it is already perceived to be a market dud and the risk-averse Indian crowd might stay away from it. The resale value of GM sedans are rock-bottom which means a similarly priced Maruti or Hyundai would fetch ~1-1.5 lakhs more after 4 years. This is something that the buyers are aware and unless they get enough value to ignore that long term dent in the wallet, they are not going to opt for a Chevy. My friend has an Aveo of similar vintage as my Swift that would fetch roughly the same price now.

Thanks to the bad strategy calls, GM India has reached a point where the only way out of this mess is to forfeit their profits or even run on slight losses for a couple of years to rebuild their brand image.

I might like this car in flesh but the thought that the poor resale value might make me stick to this car 3-4 year later even if I want to change is not going to tilt the scales in favour of GM under the present conditions. If they can provide an assured resale value to the customers which would be on par or slightly better than the Dzire, that is the only way people might be willing to try this as an alternative.

Last edited by zenren : 22nd September 2014 at 09:29.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 02:03   #199
BHPian

Default Chevrolet Mini SUV and New Sedan?

Here is a link to what seems like 2 new Chevy launches? The silhouettes look like a Mini SUV and a sedan. Does anyone have any info on these?

http://chevrolettube.com/website/be-the-first-to-know/?
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 03:53   #200
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Mini SUV and New Sedan?

The Mini Suv is probably Chevrolet Trax which has been doing rounds on the internet from a while.

I guess the sedan is more like a Sail Facelift as I do not see any new launches lined up.

Related news link on T-BHP : http://www.team-bhp.com/news/chevrol...ft-spied-china

Name:  Sail.jpg
Views: 3506
Size:  56.1 KB

The Trax looks more like a beat on steroids , however looks a lot better that the beat IMO.

Name:  ChevroletTraxCompactSUV5.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  114.9 KB

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:49   #201
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Mini SUV and New Sedan?

Actually its just an ad for the Sail twins face lift,

thread exists here,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-lakhs-14.html (Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) Launched @ Rs. 4.99-7.51 Lakhs)
400notout is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 10:52   #202
Senior - BHPian

Just out of boredom visited the Chevrolet showroom at Koperkhairane, Navi Mumbai and did a test drive of the LT TDCi.

Here are my observations:
1) The new Sail NB(Sedan) now includes 15 new features:
a) Two Din Bluetooth enabled Nippon HU
b) Cool Blue illumination on the speedo console
c) Chrome surround AC controls
d) Leather Seats for the LS ABS version
e) New Dash colour of grey and beige

The Looks:

-It looks like a proper sedan and a proportioned boot.
-The 400 ltrs boot space is sufficient for a 7 day luggage for a normal couple with a kid.
- The interiors were strictly ok. Nothing great.
- The cool blue illumination on the speedo console stays lit even at day time
- The digital RPM, fuel gauge was not to my liking. No red lining or the sheer fun of seeing the tacho step up is missing
- The seats are not adjustable for height even in the LT version.
- No MID. Just a digital small console with two trip meters and the odo.
- Missing features- No steering mounted controls, ACC etc

The Drive
- Again, nothing to write home about
- The engine is the national engine and was decent. Acceleration was quick but steering was vague
- The gearbox is visibly notchy and no fun in shifting.
-I am short at 5'4" and the visibility was poor(again due to the lack of height adjustable seats probably)
- HU(by Nippon) sounded like a Rs. 1000/- unit from a nondescript seller in the PRC. Very poor music quality. Speakers upgrade in a must.
- Seat material is ok.
- The AC switches felt rudimentary and was hardly effective in the summer. Very poor throw even at 2-3 speeds. Extremely noisy at 4.
(On enquiring the SA why the AC is not effective, the reason just floored me . Sir, Diesel car and we have disconnected the speedo cable in the Test vehicle. Hence, AC is not effective!!)

Missing Bits:
-
No ACC(Dzire/Xcent provide them for the top versions)
-Indicators on the fenders and not on the ORVM as is the current trend
-Non Retractable ORVM
-No controls on the steering wheel
-Poor HU and speakers
-Pull type door locks

Price: The OTR for the LS ABS(second top version), after discounts
(Ex showroom Thane with Octroi Price)- Rs. 9,13,000

Overall Impression
The Sail is a good car but nothing out of the ordinary.
It loses on many important features being offered by the competition and does not excel in any particular department.
Looks are strictly ok and is sort of spoiled by the mile long antenna on top.

Will I buy it over competition:
NO.
No hard feelings for Sail owners but frankly from my personal point of view, i did not find anything that excites me to put in my hard earned money for this.

Other Reasons:
1) Competition has better offerings
2) Chevy Service is unknown and unreliable territory
3) Given the current sales figures of Sail, GM may pull the plugs in a year or so
4) Pathetic resale values
5) Most importantly, no distinguishing factor.

Last edited by arnabchak : 18th April 2015 at 10:53.
arnabchak is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 15:25   #203
BHPian

I had considered a SAIL Sedan Petrol a while ago but after the TD I found that it was grossly under powered. I used to own a Aveo sedan and was quite happy with the ASS but the seating was not suitable to me and also the gear shift was not smooth. The seating and gear shift in the SAIL is good - if only it had some more power. The shape of the SAIL is contemporary as well as sleek. Also too many features were removed in the base model only to be incorporated in the top model at a hefty price increase-this is a Chevrolet trait and one which they must get rid off if they are to promote Chevrolet.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 16:18   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
I had considered a SAIL Sedan Petrol a while ago but after the TD I found that it was grossly under powered. I used to own a Aveo sedan and was quite happy with the ASS but the seating was not suitable to me and also the gear shift was not smooth. The seating and gear shift in the SAIL is good - if only it had some more power. The shape of the SAIL is contemporary as well as sleek. Also too many features were removed in the base model only to be incorporated in the top model at a hefty price increase-this is a Chevrolet trait and one which they must get rid off if they are to promote Chevrolet.
I completely agree with your observations Tech!!
I have driven an Aveo and would rate it as one of the most under rated cars launched in India from the GM stable.
It had a good seating position, a nice low end torque and even the gear shifts were smooth.
SAIL suffers from a underpowered engine or rather power delivery(though it uses the MJD but is almost 70 kgs heavier than the Dzire).
arnabchak is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 16:29   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

(On enquiring the SA why the AC is not effective, the reason just floored me . Sir, Diesel car and we have disconnected the speedo cable in the Test vehicle. Hence, AC is not effective!!)

C'mon Chevy. You cannot take customers so lightly.

Somehow the inner cynic in me says the test car will be sold off as a "fresh piece" to a non suspecting buyer and for that very reason the speedo has been disconnected.
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote