Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th February 2013, 15:17   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) Launched @ Rs. 4.99-7.51 Lakhs

GM/Sail definitely doesn't have enough brand image in India to get huge pre-launch bookings when the price is not revealed. The sales numbers should pick up slowly once people see this as a better alternative at very a reasonable price. It fully depends on the Marketing and Advertising folks at GM now since they need to make the common man aware that such a product exists.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 15:25   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

When I see how this car is priced, without getting the additional 10-12% excise benefits, just shows what premium & profits the Dzire is placed at. That's plain ridiculous. Would love to see how Manza & Verito CS would counter this move.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:16   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
When I see how this car is priced, without getting the additional 10-12% excise benefits, just shows what premium & profits the Dzire is placed at. That's plain ridiculous. Would love to see how Manza & Verito CS would counter this move.
I am very sure Consumers will start seeing value in SAIL SEDAN as compared to other car even against Dzire and this car will sell very well
anu21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 16:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I am very sure Consumers will start seeing value in SAIL SEDAN as compared to other car even against Dzire and this car will sell very well
Amen! The only thing that this car misses is an ACC. Hope it comes soon in the LTZ variant. Have changed my priorities now, else this car would have featured in the top 2 list for sure.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 17:14   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I would have been extremely happy if they had worked on the interiors a bit more. This is simply NOT to my taste. My brother is kinda hooked on to it now and want me to TD and let him know what I think. Let me see whether this car can hook me back by it's strong points.

I have stopped him from taking the plunge for the time being, pointing him to Amaze!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th February 2013 at 17:15.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 18:08   #111
Senior - BHPian

I visited the Chevy dealership yesterday to have a dekkho of the Sail twins, & am happy to comment that these cars are true VFM (as compared to the Duster & Scala, the dealership of which were also visited by me).

The build quality of the Sail (was more interested in the sedan) was almost has heavy as my Hyundai Santro Xing (ions better than Etios & anything recently from Maruti stable).

The centrally mounted power window switches, alongwith the electrically adjustable OVRM positioned on the dash on the right hand sight of the steering, could be a matter of getting used to, but, the overall ergonomics weren't as quirky as this IMO.

I could find a comfortable seat arrangement in the driver's seat (pretty soon) & almost everything was within my reach (5'6" short & athletic frame). The interiors plastics & other stuff (seats included) were hard, but, I feel would last the life of the car (which I bet would be much longer than general perception about American cars). Moreover, unlike the creamy beige shade in premium cars, the brownish beige in the Sail won't look as dirty in Indian conditions.

Also, the car is the most spacious car in the segment & for little over Rs. 5.50 Lacs (in most parts of India) you can get the car that rivals Etios, Manza, New Fiesta & City in the interior room. However, due to the same reason, it looses out on the boot department (370 Liters only for a car over 4.2 meters long). But, still the boot appeared bigger than 370 Liters, & if one goes for alternative fuel option (LPG/ CNG), it still would have decent space to offer for carrying the luggage of a small family.

Coming to exterior looks, the car was plain jane at the front, but things improve as we move rearwards, with the rear design being one of the best lookers. The paint quality of GM was good & as I have seen with few cars in my vicinity, it manages not to deteriorate over time.

Overall the car gets from me, but would recommend change of the headlights to something sexy (projectors with snazzy DRL lining) & may be the tyres to 185 section tyres with cool alloys (company fitted ones are okay IMO).

Hope the TBHP review is up soon.
CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 11:25   #112
BHPian

GTO... Could we please have a review of the Sail up soonest

It's said to have excellent cabin space, a good diesel powerplant, excellent ride quality and handling...and classy looks (IMHO) (I am not a fan of the NHC looks that most cars these days, including the upcoming Amaze, seem to be plumping for). The baby-Cruze front and baby-Vectra back work wonders for me

I am really interested in this car (the Diesel LS ABS version to be precise) with a 1-year horizon (the M-factor should be sorted by then, touch wood!).
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 11:46   #113
BHPian

I have been waiting for the Amaze to be launched, but now I want to TD the Sail Sedan too. It looks immense VFM.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 10:31   #114
tez
BHPian

Have anybody seen any Amaze being tested or even around ARAI office. Not sure how soon the launch will be. I am in market for an entry level sedan.
tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 16:24   #115
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I saw this today and it looks bang for buck , and looked good especially the paint quality and overall size .It does not look like a small sedan like all other vfm sedans (and there premium pricing).
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 23:22   #116
BHPian

I also had a look at Sail sedan today. Looks MUCH MORE VFM than Sail UVA, yet feels shortchanged in terms of quality and fit 'n finish. Typical GM product.

LS variant is real good in terms of equipment on offer at that price. Wonder who'll buy UVA with the sedan on offer at such a low premium over the hatch!
spinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 20:31   #117
BHPian

The recent edition of Autocar had a shootout between Sail and the new Verito. The result was surprising as ACI claimed Verito to be the better vfm car among the two thanks to better dynamics,comfort level and easier driveability at a lesser price tag.

I am not sure if the dated Verito is actually a better car when Sail seems to be the most balanced entry level sedan around
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 14:49   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
The recent edition of Autocar had a shootout between Sail and the new Verito. The result was surprising as ACI claimed Verito to be the better vfm car among the two thanks to better dynamics,comfort level and easier driveability at a lesser price tag.

I am not sure if the dated Verito is actually a better car when Sail seems to be the most balanced entry level sedan around
It may not be new but the verito is definitely vfm.and if the pending verito hatch is any indication, it is here to stay.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 17:01   #119
Senior - BHPian

The heart of Verito is the Renault diesel engine loved world over, this is a gem of an engine and have seen people buying used Logan diesel vehicles even after the vehicle has crossed 1 lakh kilometers, it carries a reliability tag which probably only Honda engines carry, also Verito is a very spacious car and good driving dynamics, only the clutch seems to be hard comparatively even on new vehicles, so anyday it is a better product. Sail scores on looks and looks like a modern day car and carries a 5 year/150K km warranty and comes with a 3 year maintenance package which Verito does not.

Last edited by deehunk : 20th February 2013 at 17:19.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 17:39   #120
Senior - BHPian

Definitely looks better than the hatch back, the rear & Sides look much better than the front to be honest. @ GTO, when would there be a Team BHP Review on this? Appears that the whole of India is awaiting eagerly for the Ford Ecosports and Chevy folks have quietly slipped in this.
Boot looks small for a car of this big size, but would it mean that they have improved the rear leg space compared to hatchback?
Would the interior shade match the hatchback? If Yes that would mar the looks of it
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote