Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th February 2013, 18:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) Launched @ Rs. 4.99-7.51 Lakhs

The boot space of Sail is definitely more sufficient 370L if I remember correctly, no change in the interior shade of hatchback and sedan version, everything is same including the leg space which is very good.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 18:37   #122
BHPian

Chevrolet Sail quick review

- Styling is very balanced and the car looks well proportioned. There is no quirkiness like dzire and blandness like Etios. It looks like mini Cruze from front and the rear end reminds me of Opel Vectra. The car looks far better than the hatchback version to be honest.

- Build quality is light and very much in the league of dzire in terms of materials used outside. Flat panels and flap type door handles are cost cutting bits.

- Interior space is quite good, especially at the back. The rear bench is wide enough for three adults which is a good thing. Legroom is good. So is headroom. Interestingly the car has got more space than what Cruze has to offer. Comfort level seems to be decent though i found the front seats to be little smaller than what it should be. This is no Manza beater at back. Adequately comfortable for five

- Interior quality is a real letdown. Plastics are hard and cheaplooking. Especially the steering wheel and side panels look particularly dull. The choice of color (dull brownish) for the interior is another sore point. Good thing is that dirt wont make its presence felt easily in the scheme of color. Placement of power window switches infront of gearlever is a big no no

-*Boot space as expected is good. This is a proper sedan and near 400 litre space is sufficient for most purpose

- I drove the diesel version which is essentially the multijet engine that powers almost every second diesel car on the road. First thing you will notice about the car is its nvh level. The sound insulation is quite good and for the most part it is quite silent. There is a definite
improvement over other mjd powered cars including the dzire be it at idle or when in motion

-*The driveability in city traffic is good and the lag is only felt when the rpm level is below 1400. For most part the power delivery is linear. Figo / Micra are better but Sail is adequately responsive. Turbo kick ? Whats that ! There is no dzire like spike when the rpm level crosses 2000 rpm nor does this engine feels as free revving. Dzire is distinctly more fun to drive on open roads

-*The gearshift felt notchy and i had a hard time shifting from fourth to fifth. The showroom guy claimed that the test drive car is one off case

-*Suspension felt quite good and the car felt to have good low and medium speed ride quality. Ride infact is as good as anyother car below ten lakhs I have driven. There is not much noise either. Dzire is good but Sail is better. German engineering (remember Opel Corsa ad ?)
- Handling is mediocre at best. The steering is light and hardly has got any feel. Straightline stability is good but on bumpy roads one needs to slowdown at times. Its better being driven sedately thanks to the average performance and handling combination.
- I found the airconditioner underpowered.

*Verdict : A well rounded entry level sedan with a great price tag *

Where the Sail beats the dZire :
- Proportionate looks (subjective)
- Rear seat space and width
- City driveability
- Boot space
- Ride quality

Where the dZire beats the Sail :
- Fun to drive factor (Steering feedback and handling)
- Midrange and topend performance
- Front seat comfort
- Interior quality and design

Last edited by Turbokick : 20th February 2013 at 18:38.
Turbokick is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 23:18   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
- Interior quality is a real letdown. Plastics are hard and cheaplooking. Especially the steering wheel and side panels look particularly dull.
Chevrolet was doing excellent in this department with Cruze and Beat. The interior design is superb and at the cost Beat is offered, the quality is right up there as well. With the Sail they have taken 2 steps back.

Quote:
-*Suspension felt quite good and the car felt to have good low and medium speed ride quality. Ride infact is as good as anyother car below ten lakhs I have driven.
That is true for most Chevrolets. Too much underdamped suspensions. Works well at low speeds, not that well anywhere else.

Quote:
*Verdict : A well rounded entry level sedan with a great price tag *
Great Price Tag? I would say decent but not great. If I need a petrol Model, I will pay 60K more and take home a Fiesta Classic with the monster of the 1.6L Petrol. It provides all the basic necessities as well like 4 power windows, Central locking, tilt adjust steering, Tachometer etc.
On the other Hand it does not undercut Dzire Pricing as well.

As for diesel I dont think spending the extra 60K for Classic is justified, as the 1.4 TDCI does not deserve a premium. But then whats wrong with Dzire. The engine is punchier, interiors a lot better, handles a bit tighter and afterall a Maruti product. Bottomline, diesel is more like it but it should have undercut the Dzire pricing by 30K. They could have released a further stripped out version equivalent to LDi without power windows, central locking, tilt steering and electric mirrors and priced it more aggressively.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 01:54   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

But then whats wrong with Dzire. The engine is punchier, interiors a lot better, handles a bit tighter and afterall a Maruti product. Bottomline, diesel is more like it but it should have undercut the Dzire pricing by 30K.
Well, why would/should it? After all, it's a car longer than the Dzire by 254 mms - approx 10 inches.

There are lot of people out there who just can't stand the Dzire. There are just too many Dzires on the road and the car will get no points in the looks department. If space doesn't matter, why would people buy DZire instead of Swift?
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 08:56   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But then whats wrong with Dzire. The engine is punchier, interiors a lot better, handles a bit tighter and afterall a Maruti product. Bottomline, diesel is more like it but it should have undercut the Dzire pricing by 30K. They could have released a further stripped out version equivalent to LDi without power windows, central locking, tilt steering and electric mirrors and priced it more aggressively.
But the Dzire's length is under 4000 mm so it automatically qualifies for lower tax-schemes. And the Sail's length is well over 4000 mm. So actually, it's the Dzire that should be priced lower and it should theoretically undercut every other entry-level compact sedan in the market including the Sail.

But Maruti, being Maruti, has priced the Dzire rather exorbitantly.

And I'm going to be blunt here. The Sail's interior quality is on par with the Dzire. It's just that the Dzire's interior 'looks' better so you get the perception of quality. Some of the bits in the Maruti are frankly ghastly. In the Sail, everything feels put together decently. In the Swift, some bits are more than just suspect. The knob for ORVM adjustment for instance, feels like it will come in your hand if you wrestle with it even slightly. The window-glass is terribly thin thereby compromising NVH. The plastics are extremely hard and develop that shiny texture after a few years. Frankly, the Dzire's interior (in terms of outright quality) is on par with the Sail's, if not worse.

The only areas where the Dzire beats the Sail are:

- Handling

- Maruti badge.

In other parameters like ride quality, interior space, boot space, drivability, etc. the Sail is better than the Dzire.

EDIT:

Ergo, if you're looking for a car in the 10 lakh bracket, you're better off buying the Sail if it has to be a sedan. If it has to be a hatch, the Swift is a great package. But if you HAVE to have a Maruti for 10 (odd) lakhs, skip the Dzire and get the Ertiga instead. Why? Here's why:

- VGT engine tuned for drivability
- Flexible seating.
- Bigger boot.
- Looks better (subjective)

To me, the Dzire makes absolutely ZERO sense. For a substantial amount more, you get little extra. (unless you're looking at the petrol AT) A slightly larger boot that's not that useful. That's it. The space in the cabin is pretty much the same and the engine options are the same as well.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st February 2013 at 09:14.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 09:40   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
After all, it's a car longer than the Dzire by 254 mms - approx 10 inches.
And that's a plus for DZire, in the congested city conditions. Nowadays, just because of the ease of use in city, people tend to move to smaller vehicles which offer better comfort / features even at a high price. The success of i20, Ertiga and DZire is an indication.

Quote:
There are just too many Dzires on the road
That's a concern only for a small number of prospective buyers. Many people won't take risk, and select the way most people go!
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 09:54   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
And that's a plus for DZire, in the congested city conditions. Nowadays, just because of the ease of use in city, people tend to move to smaller vehicles which offer better comfort / features even at a high price. The success of i20, Ertiga and DZire is an indication.
That's precisely why I mentioned about the Swift too. If people want compact, then why not just go for Swift or even smaller car. Big or small is definitely up to the buyer. In other words, for the same price if Sail gives you so much more space, then it's just not fair to expect Sail to be priced below Dzire, and I am not even talking about the benefits Dzire gets for being under 4000 mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
That's a concern only for a small number of prospective buyers. Many people won't take risk, and select the way most people go!
Agree, that's definitely a factor many people would consider.
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 10:05   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But the Dzire's length is under 4000 mm so it automatically qualifies for lower tax-schemes. And the Sail's length is well over 4000 mm. So actually, it's the Dzire that should be priced lower and it should theoretically undercut every other entry-level compact sedan in the market including the Sail.

And I'm going to be blunt here. The Sail's interior quality is on par with the Dzire. It's just that the Dzire's interior 'looks' better so you get the perception of quality. Some of the bits in the Maruti are frankly ghastly. In the Sail, everything feels put together decently. In the Swift, some bits are more than just suspect. The knob for ORVM adjustment for instance, feels like it will come in your hand if you wrestle with it even slightly. The window-glass is terribly thin thereby compromising NVH. The plastics are extremely hard and develop that shiny texture after a few years. Frankly, the Dzire's interior (in terms of outright quality) is on par with the Sail's, if not worse.

- Handling

- Maruti badge.

In other parameters like ride quality, interior space, boot space, drivability, etc. the Sail is better than the Dzire.

EDIT:

Ergo, if you're looking for a car in the 10 lakh bracket, you're better off buying the Sail if it has to be a sedan. If it has to be a hatch, the Swift is a great package. But if you HAVE to have a Maruti for 10 (odd) lakhs, skip the Dzire and get the Ertiga instead. Why? Here's why:

- VGT engine tuned for drivability
- Flexible seating.
- Bigger boot.
- Looks better (subjective)

To me, the Dzire makes absolutely ZERO sense. For a substantial amount more, you get little extra. (unless you're looking at the petrol AT) A slightly larger boot that's not that useful. That's it. The space in the cabin is pretty much the same and the engine options are the same as well.
I agree fully to your argument. Dzire is overpriced and is charging a premium for being a Maruti and no real modern alternative (except indigo ecs) available. It offers little more than a swift and i don't know why people pay a premium for it, the earlier model though offered a lot of boot space so it was ok. I20 has just 21 litre less bootspace and it is more usable too.

Following illustration taken from Zigwheels.com will prove my point

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...omparo/11348/2

With the sail sedan and upcoming honda Amaze, i hope the insane bookings of Dzire stop and maruti wakes up to discounts as with other products like alto and wagon R. Competition is only good for the consumers.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 10:07   #129
BHPian

Quote:

Great Price Tag? I would say decent but not great. If I need a petrol Model, I will pay 60K more and take home a Fiesta Classic with the monster of the 1.6L Petrol. It provides all the basic necessities as well like 4 power windows, Central locking, tilt adjust steering, Tachometer etc.

As for diesel I dont think spending the extra 60K for Classic is justified, as the 1.4 TDCI does not deserve a premium. But then whats wrong with Dzire. The engine is punchier, interiors a lot better, handles a bit tighter and afterall a Maruti product. Bottomline, diesel is more like it but it should have undercut the Dzire pricing by 30K. They could have released a further stripped out version equivalent to LDi without power windows, central locking, tilt steering and electric mirrors and priced it more aggressively.
My last words were for the diesel model where you get a proper sedan at the cost of dzire which inspite of tax benefits isnt priced cheap.

As for the matter of choice if you need a decent driver's car dZire is a better pick while Sail looks like a good family car

Quote:

- Handling

- Maruti badge.

In other parameters like ride quality, interior space, boot space, drivability, etc. the Sail is better than the Dzire..
Interior plastics definitely arenot upto the scratch and the ones on door panels look and feel quite rough. Same goes for the steering wheel, Air Con dials and indicator stalks which feel downright ordinary for the segment. Dzire maynot have brilliant quality but its good enough. The textured black plastics, fake wood finish, steering wheel, AC vents, meter console etc are good quality.
I have been an owner of this car for one year and I think it is definitely a step up from previous generation dzire and better than Sail.
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 11:27   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, why would/should it? After all, it's a car longer than the Dzire by 254 mms - approx 10 inches.
Quote:
Agreed. But customers don't/ should not care if the excise is 12% or 24%. All they need is the end product and pricing. Maruti is definitely bagging more profit per Dzire than Chevrolet will for Sail.

My point was to introduce a further stripped out version of Sail. The sail Base model privides a few features which Dzire Ldi does not. So stripping of these features and pricing it 30K lower would give a mind blowing starting price.

Quote:
There are lot of people out there who just can't stand the Dzire. There are just too many Dzires on the road and the car will get no points in the looks department. If space doesn't matter, why would people buy DZire instead of Swift?
I admit the earlier model was horrible. But this one ain't too bad. Although the Sail looks way cooler from outside. But inside the tables are turned.

Quote:
Thats the only reason for not buying Dzire. Otherwise it is a well balanced car.

Quote:
And I'm going to be blunt here. The Sail's interior quality is on par with the Dzire.
As far as looks are concerned the difference is heaven and hell. Interior quality, I have to disagree. Dzire is better. My perception though.

Quote:
Ride quality. Right but only at low speeds. However the Dzire feels softly sprung too. (Compared to Swift)
Interior space - Well no questions.
Drivability - Thats there but where is the outright punch.

Quote:
Ergo, if you're looking for a car in the 10 lakh bracket, you're better off buying the Sail if it has to be a sedan. If it has to be a hatch, the Swift is a great package. But if you HAVE to have a Maruti for 10 (odd) lakhs, skip the Dzire and get the Ertiga instead.
We bought our Vento @ 10L on roads. Not sure if I am missing something!
You say Swift is a great Package, I agree and I would but the Swift rather than the Dzire even if both costs same.
But some one who wants a 3 box logo, a bit more boot space & a plusher ride Dzire is a good buy @ 50K more.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 13:11   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
It offers little more than a swift and i don't know why people pay a premium for it,
There a simple reason for that. The boot qualifies it for the 'sedan-class' of cars in India. And as we all know, a sedan is an upgrade, a step-up from the World of hatchbacks so to speak. Even if the boot is inconsequential, it adds value to the typical Indian car-buyer. *grins*

Quote:
Agreed. But customers don't/ should not care if the excise is 12% or 24%.
Why not? If there are tax benefits present, why shouldn't some of it be passed onto the customer? What's the whole point of re-engineering a hatchback and turning it into a sedan so that its length falls under 4m if the tax benefits are not going to be enjoyed by the customer?

Quote:
All they need is the end product and pricing. Maruti is definitely bagging more profit per Dzire than Chevrolet will for Sail.
Simply because of that Maruti badge.

Quote:
I admit the earlier model was horrible. But this one ain't too bad. Although the Sail looks way cooler from outside. But inside the tables are turned.
Yes, the Dzire 'looks' cooler on the inside. That's about it.

Quote:
Thats the only reason for not buying Dzire. Otherwise it is a well balanced car.
I can personally think of several reasons why I wouldn't buy a Dzire, especially when I can save 50k odd and buy the Swift, or spend 1 lakh more and get the more versatile Ertiga.

Quote:
Interior plastics definitely arenot upto the scratch and the ones on door panels look and feel quite rough. Same goes for the steering wheel, Air Con dials and indicator stalks which feel downright ordinary for the segment. Dzire maynot have brilliant quality but its good enough. The textured black plastics, fake wood finish, steering wheel, AC vents, meter console etc are good quality. I have been an owner of this car for one year and I think it is definitely a step up from previous generation dzire and better than Sail.
Quote:
Interior quality, I have to disagree. Dzire is better. My perception though.
I'm sorry guys, but I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with you'll on this.

I've spent considerable time in several old-gen Swifts / Dzires and new-gen Swifts too, and I've got to say that the interior quality is appalling to say the least. Forget about the hard shiny plastics for a minute. I'm talking about the annoying clicking sound I get when I operate the indicator / wiper stalks. I'm talking about the lack of damping in the knobs and switches all round. The utterly flimsy door panels that bend and depress even with the slightest application of pressure. The window-panes are shockingly thin and have sharp edges. The worst is the rattles that creep up after a few years of ownership.

Yes, the Sail's interior is quite uninspiring and there are rough edges too. There are plastic bits that feel quite flimsy. But the buttons / knobs / switches felt adequately damped. Apart from the push/pull door-locks that make an audibly annoying sound, everything else feels well screwed together. I'm not sure if the interior will throw up rattles and squeaks like the Swift as the car is relatively new.

The new-gen Swift's interior feels the same as the old-gen's in terms of outright quality. It's just that the design is much better now and you get the impression that the interior itself is better. But the quality, by and large, remains the same.

Quote:
Ride quality. Right but only at low speeds. However the Dzire feels softly sprung too. (Compared to Swift)
The Sail's ride is probably the best out there, under 10 lakhs. I'd give it the edge over the Etios/Liva simply because the Sail's NVH levels are better by leaps and bounds.

Quote:
Drivability - Thats there but where is the outright punch.
Outright punch is fun, I've got to admit. It's addictive. But after a while, it gets boring and I'd personally prefer linear power delivery. Especially considering our cities' stop-start traffic conditions.

Quote:
We bought our Vento @ 10L on roads. Not sure if I am missing something!
You say Swift is a great Package, I agree and I would but the Swift rather than the Dzire even if both costs same.
But some one who wants a 3 box logo, a bit more boot space & a plusher ride Dzire is a good buy @ 50K more.
I'm talking about the top-end variants of these cars.

If it has to be a hatch, I would buy a Swift over the Sail U-VA and the Dzire too. Like I said, the Dzire is full of compromises. If it has to be a sedan, I'd spend my money on a Sail because the interior space is more, the ride is much better, the boot space is more and it's the more handsome of the two. It's a no-brainer for me.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st February 2013 at 13:13.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 13:27   #132
BHPian

Before anyone runs to the showroom and pay the booking amount, please check out the turning radius. You will be surprised. Those from the big cities, especially.
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 14:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There a simple reason for that. The boot qualifies it for the 'sedan-class' of cars in India. And as we all know, a sedan is an upgrade, a step-up from the World of hatchbacks so to speak. Even if the boot is inconsequential, it adds value to the typical Indian car-buyer. *grins*
There you said it yourself. That is why people would put 50K extra for Dzire. May not be you or me but most of the people.

Quote:
Why not? If there are tax benefits present, why shouldn't some of it be passed onto the customer? What's the whole point of re-engineering a hatchback and turning it into a sedan so that its length falls under 4m if the tax benefits are not going to be enjoyed by the customer?
You dont expect the companies to perform charity. None of the benefit or even all of the benefit may be passed on to the customers if the market demands... read competition.
As a customers when I am comparing 2 cars I will not see who is paying what tax. I would not bother if it is a CKD or a CBU or a sun 4m. I will buy the car that offers more value.

Quote:
I can personally think of several reasons why I wouldn't buy a Dzire, especially when I can save 50k odd and buy the Swift, or spend 1 lakh more and get the more versatile Ertiga.
If you buy the Swift you will loose out the 3 box brand. For the masses in India it is a big deal. Ertiga is not even half as fun to drive as the Dzire.

Quote:
I'm sorry guys, but I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with you'll on this.
Lets agree to dis)
But I do second with the window panes and the rattles.

Quote:
The Sail's ride is probably the best out there, under 10 lakhs. I'd give it the edge over the Etios/Liva simply because the Sail's NVH levels are better by leaps and bounds.
Etios is a good car worthy of an alternative here unlesss for the pathetic interior quality.

Quote:
Outright punch is fun, I've got to admit. It's addictive. But after a while, it gets boring and I'd personally prefer linear power delivery. Especially considering our cities' stop-start traffic conditions.
2 years in Vento TDi. And the outright punch is not boring. Never will be.

Quote:
I'm talking about the top-end variants of these cars.
So am I. TDi Highline 2011. Ex showroom ~9.2. On road 10.

Quote:
If it has to be a hatch, I would buy a Swift over the Sail U-VA and the Dzire too. Like I said, the Dzire is full of compromises. If it has to be a sedan, I'd spend my money on a Sail because the interior space is more, the ride is much better, the boot space is more and it's the more handsome of the two. It's a no-brainer for me.
Well the Sail is a generation old. Flip type door handles, spartan interiors, No ACC, Steering mounted audio control. If the interiors were similar to beat, it would definitely be my choice over Dzire.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 15:06   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If people want compact, then why not just go for Swift or even smaller car.
What I meant by 'small' was 'small yet reasonably big' for city use, and not 'as small as possible'.

But I'm not saying Sail has to be priced below Swift.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 18:45   #135
BHPian

Just TD'ed Sail sedan at Devansh Auto in Kolkata. Nice behavior from the sales personnel, told them that the final decision will hinge on how Amaze is when it is out. Surprised to know Sail now has a wait period of about 45 days. Overall impression of the car is nice and positive. Inside is really spacious and appeared a good family car. Dash and etc are very spartan. I think GM's focus is more on base variant featuring front power windows, electric ORVM, tilt steering, body colored bumpers etc. Drive was smooth but without thrills. Engine bay has lots of empty space probably cushioning against unfortunate front impacts. Clutch seemed okay, acceleration linear though I did not really stretch it. AC was average though. Not a great problem to have power window buttons on central console, positive aspect when you can give your other half some sense of control out on a family trip. Rear seat passengers will have it easy and comfortable. Boot space was decent. Good family car but no thrills. Unless Amaze has something dramatic up its sleeve, Sail will definitely be top contender.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote