Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th February 2013, 12:09   #31
BHPian

Default Re: January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out vehicles (such as Prius, 370Z) as they have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-s1.jpg

January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-s2.jpg

January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-s3.jpg

January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-s4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 12:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Diesel : Petrol Story
Hyundai

i20 4998 : 3657
Verna 3895 : 1171

Tata

Indica 7308 : 13
Indigo 2332 : 35
Part of the problem with Tata Motors could be lack of a good petrol engine in their range. The above number substantiate the same. Only 13 Indica petrols compared to 7K+ diesels. OTOH, i20 has a fantastic balance between petrol and diesel. With the Diesel prices slowly climbing up, we can definitely see a increase in the demand for petrol cars which are cheaper to buy and make a lot of sense for low monthly running customers. Tata is not a contender with their current line up in this segment.

I hope they are investing in the development of a decent 1.2L petrol engine, which can power the Vista and the upcoming Manza CS.

Last edited by safari_lover : 4th February 2013 at 12:23.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:32   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The Duster seems to have hit a -ve slump off late. The numbers are consistently dropping from October 2012.

Is this due to the order books depleting or cutting production to accommodate the Nissan version of the Dustomer?

With the diesel being deregulated and the small hikes should shift a bit of diesel demand towards petrol.

VW/Skoda needs to be ready with the 1.2 TSI and TATA/FIAT should work on a 1.2 Tjet motor to flock the 1.2 litre engine categories.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:51   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All other Hondas are in the two-digit range, including the Jazz! At 61 pieces, the Jazz is the worst selling hatchback in India, outsold by other flops like the Fabia & Punto. The otherwise brilliant machine simply never recovered from its initial pricing debacle.
Honda India has shut production of the Jazz and those 61 copies were probably configured from the left overs from the parts bin. The Honda dealers my brother in law visited did not accept a booking on the Jazz and he had to ultimately settle for the I20.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 12:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Toyota needs to get rid of the Etios twins before they do permanent damage to the brand in India. Recently a friend bought a Petrol Etios, primarily for the space it offers and I was shocked to see how tinny and poorly built the car is. Toyota probably forgot that its the cars that made the brand what it is today and not the other way around.
I would not agree on that. Looking at jessie007's figures on average sales percentage for the last 6 months, I find Etios commanding a respectable third position in this Sedan segment only after Swift Dzire and Indigo/Manza.

In the hatchback segment though, it's not doing that well due to the presence of I20, Figo and of course Swift and Indica.

Etios and Liva are good cars, but somewhere the perception has gone wrong. Polo came out with a huge advertising campaign this season, which did good to the car. Maruti and Hyundai are always big spenders on ad campaigns. Toyota and Honda prefer to run low with their campaigns hoping that their brands would sell anyway. Maybe, they need to change the attitude.

IMO, withdrawing Etios twins will not do any good to Toyota. They need to position the car in an Indian way. The "Woku Doki" campaign might make sense to the Japanese but it's too Japanese for us to understand.
Old 4th February 2013, 14:26   #36
BHPian

As usual excellent reporting on the sales numbers. I doubt any automobile magazine can ever do it this comprehensively slicing and dicing the data in so much detail.

Curious to see that a very handful folks trust the Tata petrol cars specially the Indica and the Indigo while all others show healthier numbers in terms of petrol version sales. It would be interesting to hear whats wrong with the Tata petrol engines if it has not been already discussed.

Good to see VW bringing the Polo back to healthy numbers with the upgrades done to it. It is a pretty decent car with great looks in my opinion. Hopefully the Vento nos. will go up too given the refresh that has come out now with even newer color options. Looks like Mr. Arvind Saxena is striving hard to bring changes which improve sales.
Old 4th February 2013, 14:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Superb analysis and presentation as always. Great work GTO and parrys.

Its high time tata thinks of a new product line up as almost all its product show signs of ageing. Moreover TMIL has to get out of the image they have created for poor quality of the products. Otherwise a day will come when we would only be able to see Tata motors in the commercial vehicle segment.

Maruti Suzuki is still going ahead by leaps and bounds and the way they have tackled the competition in every segment is truly spectacular. I am proud to be a "maruti guy" who is biased towards every product that the manufacturer produces. And yes this month even I have made a contribution of 1 unit in the sales of the dzire.

Last edited by dZired : 4th February 2013 at 14:59.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 15:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Lot of people reacting over Ventos numbers. Whatever number it has it deserves. I see too many people praising about Vento. I think its quite a overrated car. Its good but certainly not the best. I traveled through one of my friends Vento Diesel top end model. I found following things:

Sound was really really big. From outside its like i am sitting in 1980 car. From inside as well engine sound was quite audible.
AC effect was very poor. It was ACC & set to 18 Degrees still it was not able to cool the cabin fast enough. It took quite long & after that also it was not that great chilling experience.
Sitting in the car was difficult. Quite low. Ingres & outgres is bad & not to the liking of the old people.
Quality of interiors is very good but nothing special. Dont excite me at all.

For that price tag of 11 Lacs + i guess we should get more.

Sad to see Tata numbers :( TATA please wake up & get us some good cars. Need to improve on quality for sure.
Old 5th February 2013, 09:15   #39
BHPian

What's wrong with Chevrolet? Few months back, Beat was selling 5000+, they had Cruze cruzing ahead of its competitors and yet they can't sell even 10,000 cars per month?

IMHO Beat is a competent car, good enough to sell 5000+ consistently. It's got good diesel engine, great design, sorted city ride and great value for money overall. Cruze, Sail and Sail UVA are reportedly good cars (though I find Sail UVA costlier by 40-50 K ex-showroom). So where are they failing?
Old 5th February 2013, 09:56   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
OTOH, i20 has a fantastic balance between petrol and diesel. With the Diesel prices slowly climbing up, we can definitely see a increase in the demand for petrol cars which are cheaper to buy and make a lot of sense for low monthly running customers.
Well, the cost differential between the petrol and diesel version of i20 is close to 1.5 L OTR, which clearly explains the preference for petrol. The top end diesel costs close to 9L OTR which puts it well in sedan territory!

On a different note, really sad to see Fiat's numbers. Even the Corolla sells more than Punto and Linea put together. Hopefully Abarth will raise fortunes. Maybe they should just bring in the Chrysler brand and phase out Fiat completely...too much (potentially irreversible) damage done to the brand.
Old 5th February 2013, 20:46   #41
BHPian

Excellent compilation GTO. Vento is a very competent sedan, but, the numbers are not improving as fast as VW would have wanted. I am not sure how difficult this is, but, is it possible to find somewhere, how many vento's are being sold in each city?! just curious.

Without Figo, what would ford do? They are just hoping EcoSport would turn things around for them.
Old 5th February 2013, 22:44   #42
BHPian

GTO,

Can we also have a look at premium car sales figures!
Old 6th February 2013, 01:29   #43
BHPian

I helped skoda with a single unit of rapid
Its a brilliant car and slightly inexpensive than its twin sister, Vento but still not selling much

Fiat i guess will pick up by mid of this yr when all exclusive outlets r ready and as and when new products are launched

Only Arvind saxena and the hype of VW brand makes them sell 3000 polos with that incompetent and unrefined engines
Wish VW live upto there reputation and get a proper engine for polo
Old 6th February 2013, 16:03   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcar View Post
GTO,

Can we also have a look at premium car sales figures!
GTO,

Thanks for the analysis! Even I was wondering why we don't have Mercedes/BMW/Audi numbers. They used to be included some months earlier, unless I am mistaken...
Old 7th February 2013, 10:52   #45
BHPian

Hi,
Fabia selling only 200 cars compared to Polo's 4000 odd seems incredible. Same car virtually!! VW service is not something thats industry benchmark, nor is it different from Skodas. Polo is more expensive, and probably not as well designed as Fabia, especially rear seat comfort wise. What could be the reason?

Skoda service frankly isnt all that bad. They seem to be weeding out the bad dealers (e.g Marikar skoda in calicut) and the new dealers seem to be a different league altogether (personal experience with Vision motors calicut). So service isnt the main thing. Maybe the perception of service.

More importantly, most people dont see this car. Its not advertised. Skoda dealers arent market savvy when it comes to promoting their cars, unlike marutis or hyundais, who will come and routinely and irritatingly put notices in your parked cars. The myth that a 3 cylinder crdi isnt a good performer is laughable (certainly more refined than the etios engines!! Personal experience again with Liva diesel in our garage). It has to be advertising, and lack of promotional offers unlike Polo. Sometimes I wonder whether its VW policy to underplay Skoda brands.
Closed Thread