Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th February 2013, 14:11   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by durgaprasan View Post
Hi,
Fabia selling only 200 cars compared to Polo's 4000 odd seems incredible. Same car virtually!! VW service is not something thats industry benchmark, nor is it different from Skodas. Polo is more expensive, and probably not as well designed as Fabia, especially rear seat comfort wise. What could be the reason?

Skoda service frankly isnt all that bad. They seem to be weeding out the bad dealers (e.g Marikar skoda in calicut) and the new dealers seem to be a different league altogether (personal experience with Vision motors calicut). So service isnt the main thing. Maybe the perception of service.
Styling is one of the reason why Polo is doing good numbers. It is definitely among the best looking hatches in the market and is an instant click among the costumers. Fabia on the other hand isnot that appealing to many.
Polo is well promoted and enjoyed attention before its launch. So the public is well educated about this car unlike the Fabia
Old 7th February 2013, 15:53   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Audi sold 737 cars in January, posting a growth of 10.5%.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18382159.cms
Old 8th February 2013, 12:39   #48
BHPian

Whenever I go through the Wonderful Monthly Sales report I feel a little saddened to see the Rapid selling so less which I own. I think its a winner in its segment which even GTO and many agree. My logic is this car is not selling as the number of showrooms of Skoda is way lesser than some of the competitors. One of my friend is rural Odisha wanted to buy a 10L+ Sedan and called me to inquire which car I drive, and I was surprised that he did not know the name of Rapid. I live in Bangalore where I see a lot of Rapid and even the showroom guys tell me that its selling well. So I tried to do a very simple calculation. I took the number of showroom and took an average of the cars sold and below is the calculation.

January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-carsa.jpg

There can be a lot of counter arguments about the above calculation but this suggests where ever skoda is present they are doing well. If Skoda wants to increase the numbers then they have to increase the number of showrooms. Simple ain't it ?

The number of showrooms are taken from the site http://www.prokerala.com.

Last edited by sam_boy : 8th February 2013 at 12:40.
sam_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 14:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Review as Always...

My Observations:

1) Last month was a disaster for the Wagon R. It has revived and how with a whooping 250% spike MoM. With news that MSIL may consider a diesel mill for the WR, it has the potential for a No. 2 position, if not the numero Uno.

2) Brio. I consider it a below performance @ 2300 units. It has a potential of 4000+ units but then a pertol only model has acted against it. With the Amaze in the horizon, things may be warming up for the Japanese giants.

3) Fiat. Less said the better. Punto+ Linea @ <600 units. Two great offerings completely destroyed. On top of that, the 2013 Linea looks pretty plain jane to me.

The 2013 model, if launched would completely destroy the Italian Beauty's character.

4) M&M- A solid performed in the B2 and they could well be right behind MSIL in the charts. Does the Verito Hatch have the potential? Personally, I do not think so.

A new product can certainly help their cause.

5) Tata with a new car strategy in 2015, that too on the lines of another Indica platform?? They are joking right? The home grown company needs to do something fast, something productive or else turn to history.

6) Skoda. Serves them right to offer the service standards they offer to Indians.
I hope that dwindling sales gives them a wake up call to act and respond to customer demands. Else, a good car like Rapid too will be rapidly erased from the market.

7) Toyota- Pls. upgrade the Liva/Etios quickly. Better interiors, correct location of the speedo and a decent looking speedo console are urgent requirements.
Old 8th February 2013, 15:41   #50
BHPian

Nano sales from Aug 12 to Jan 13 reads +6K,+5k,+4k,+3k,+2k,+1k......is it doing the vanishing trick? The stock yard is overflowing and they need to get rid of over 25K stock in hand asap.....perhaps a holi discount?

Fiat continues to despair but hope the new Linea & punto will revive their fortune.
Old 8th February 2013, 15:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Very well compiled report. Time for some comments on some of the models:

Nissan Evalia
  • I feel that Nissan was very much confused on the pricing point with respect to this vehicle and hence this bombed. There is not even a single feature that would attract a potential car buyer to this. The biggest disadvantage the car has is sliding door. This is what should have been the USP of the car is working against it; take a look at the other vehicles with similar structures - Venture, Eeco, Winger. All are priced below 8 lacs and cater to various segments (private, touriest, commercial usage). Why would anyone pay 12 lacs for a Van when he can get similar features or more in less cost?
  • When we compare it with Ertiga or Innova, Erigta price wise gets over where Evalia Begins; Looks wise, Evalia is as weird as it can get and hence looses there too. Innova is EXPENSIVE but it still has the private car feeling which Nissan cannot provide.Till date in Mumbai, I have seen only 3 private Evalia's and 1 Commerical one.
Aria
  • The lesser said about it the better; I personally feel it is a very capable vehicle let down by poor marketing and sales strategy.
  • Slight facelift with good branding should do wonders.
  • Instead of giving this to pvt users for feedbacks, TAMO should give it to large fleet services; the more they use it, the better the response in the market.
Fiat
  • Sorry who? I love this brand to the core of my heart. However, not all love stories are complete; so is this one. I hope to own a Fiat someday and praying that the day comes soon.
  • Seeing a lot of action on FB, new showrooms, new service centers etc etc. Bring in a new affordable model and rewrite history. Linea at 12.00 Lacs onwards will sell far lesser than a Petra/Sienna at 6.00 Lacs.
Old 8th February 2013, 18:18   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post

There can be a lot of counter arguments about the above calculation but this suggests where ever skoda is present they are doing well. If Skoda wants to increase the numbers then they have to increase the number of showrooms. Simple ain't it ?
I'm not sure about the calculation but one big reason (as you've pointed out) Rapid isn't selling is the quality of A.S.S and their unwillingness to open new showrooms. In Chennai, being a Skoda fan myself, test drove the Yeti and this is what the sales person had to say, albeit in a tongue-in-cheek manner when enquired about service: "Sir, my boss spends most of his week in court attending different customer complaints, so he hasn't time to look into how the service quality levels are at his dealership!"

People walk away from Skoda showrooms not because of their cars but because of the quality of A.S.S and the "monopoly showroom" approach that Skoda adopts in cities like Chennai. I personally know a couple of friends who loved the Rapid but was put off by the arrogance of the dealer. Their arrogance springs out of the fact that they sell great cars and they hold a monopoly in dealership.

Making great cars (which Skoda already does!) is only part of the story. Giving an A.S.S experience that's challenging their Japanese counterparts is a different story altogether! I'm surprised Skoda hasn't woken up to this reality yet! Sheer arrogance or ridiculous stupidity, I don't know. It's a shame such a well made product like Rapid isn't moving out of showrooms! Unless a change in dealership experience comes in the form of more dealers and better A.S.S, rivals will continue to have Skoda for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 01:35   #53
BHPian

Eon doing well but is still struggling to match Alto's loose change over 20k.

i10 still doing decently but is struggling to reach half the numbers of its direct competitor WagonR.

Santro is dying a slow death and its about time Hyundai to pull the plug on Santro and plonk the 1.1 mill in to Eon.
Old 10th February 2013, 22:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whenever I go through the Wonderful Monthly Sales report I feel a little saddened to see the Rapid selling so less which I own. I think its a winner in its segment which even GTO and many agree.
You have to understand Vento and Rapid are the same car eventually. SO if you really need to compare against say Verna, the segment topper, you need to add the volumes of Rapid & Vento. Then their combined numbers are not so dismal.

If you remember when Vento was launched, It sold 3500 copies every month approximately. That is what the Rapid & Vento do now combined.

Your Ratio of cars/showroom is also valid here. And so if other factors like a Diesel AT in Verna. 1.4L engine options etc.
If there is any car whose sales deserve credit, it is the city. It does 3K with just a 1.5L petrol engine. In fact if you want to buy a petrol sedan I still feel City is the best bet.

Last edited by oxyzen : 10th February 2013 at 22:22.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 16:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
i10 still doing decently but is struggling to reach half the numbers of its direct competitor WagonR.
On a related note, I am just back from a weekend trip to Goa. I was surprised to find that most of the white coloured 'Tourist Vehicles' plying in Goa are WagonRs. Looks like even this segment, atleast in Goa has taken a liking for the blue eyed boy.

Last edited by racer_ash : 12th February 2013 at 16:18. Reason: edited grammar
Old 12th February 2013, 16:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:

The number of showrooms are taken from the site http://www.prokerala.com.
Hi Sam_boy. This is a good effort though I do not agree with the methodology completely. A simple average of cars sold by number of showrooms will not give a clear picture as a particular manufacturer may have a larger number of showrooms in smaller cities than another. These showrooms will obviously skew the sales/dealer to a lower level as lesser cars will sell from these small cities. A more scientifc approach IMHO would be to take a list of Top 20 cities where these brands have showrooms and then divide the sales in these cities by the dealer numbers in those cities. I am not sure however if we have access to brand wise city wise sales though. I am still pretty sure in your list though, that Honda City would continue to have the maximum cars/dealer in this case as well.

However, Skoda can definitely increase its Rapid sales by increasing the dealers, but one needs to see whether the sales for those dealers make economic sense from an ROI perspective unlike a Maruti dealer who has the option of a huge number of small cars to cater to smaller towns.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 09:36   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors-owned Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) today reported 32 per cent increase in global sales for last month at 34,877 units.

Source: ET
Old 13th February 2013, 09:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Motors-owned Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) today reported 32 per cent increase in global sales for last month at 34,877 units.

Source: ET
With JLR sales on the rise and Tata sales on the decline, would we see more JLRs than Tata in some future month?
Old 13th February 2013, 16:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Tata may even stop other cars than JLR, because a monthly sale of 30K units will give them a profit of 1000Cr per month as they are high margin cars, IMO!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 13th February 2013 at 16:55.
Old 15th February 2013, 10:45   #60
BHPian

Smile Re: January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I did a trend analysis to understand the changes in market share by country of origin of manufacturers. The chart is below.

The first thing I realized is that for the past 6 months, the market share of Japanese brands is steadily increasing while that of the Indian brands is decreasing.

The sales of the Japanese models decreased between May - August 2012, which can be directly attributed to the petrol prices and the labour issues at Maruti.

This implies that the Indian brands (Tata, Mahindra) tend to get affected by the fate of the Japanese. A tough job ahead for Carl Slym and Anand Mahindra.

The only Korean brand with 15% market share almost shows a tick tock kind of movement in market share (rises in one month, falls in the next). Deliberate strategy?

The American brands have fallen to the European levels and are in sync wth 6% market share.
Attached Images

Closed Thread