Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 16:33   #16
BHPian
 
veyron_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

I am fine with another car on the Indica platform. Its after all a very reliable platform. I am only hoping they don't name it as another 'Tata Indica XYZ Quadrajet Aura' etc. Using the Indica/Indigo prefix on every new car is only going to add more negative baggage to the brand name. Case in point is the Manza, which Tata first called Indigo Manza and later corrected it.
veyron_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 18:49   #17
BHPian
 
arjab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MAA/CCU
Posts: 646
Thanked: 1,194 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

According to l'il birdies in the know, this is a revival of a long dormant project internally known as "project dolphin" till few years back.

Based on the original Indica platform but with a completely new upper body or "top hat" - and there's nothing bad in that - as quite a few cars recently launched in India are following this trend, starting with the Ford Figo, the Ssangyong Rexton etc.
This project was always designed to be an Alto competitor, but with the Nano faring well below expectations, the enthusiasm to set this project on track was put on the backburner.

It seems that the new management is willing to stick its neck out, and go all out. What little is known, the styling will be very attractive, (leaning towards the recent Peugeot's maybe) and a lot of design and engineering inputs will come from Tata Motors renowned European Tech Centre and JLR both based in UK.
Trouble is, by 2015 the competition will come in with some serious arsenal, possibly the new A-Star will also debut by then, so TML will have its work cut out to entrench the new model in the mindspace of young car buyers.

Wish them all the best!
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 20:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 2,060 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Based on the original Indica platform but with a completely new upper body or "top hat" -
And possibly loose the one thing the Indica had (IMHO) going for it!
(Let me stick my neck out as a brickbat collector! IMO, the cabin design (not execution) of the original Indica shows a maturity of thought and sureness of touch which no other (Aria included) TML vehicle has been able to match. The much lauded Vista, IMO, falls way short.)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 21:30   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 370
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

The main problem with indica is the deacde old interiors and platics, for its price exterior design, though dated is still OK. Still, good to see Tata motors trying to do something new.

They can take inspiration from Hyundai which has done wonders with the new 'fluidic design' philosophy.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 22:33   #20
BHPian
 
SunilM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 272
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
The main problem with indica is the deacde old interiors and platics, for its price exterior design, though dated is still OK. Still, good to see Tata motors trying to do something new.

They can take inspiration from Hyundai which has done wonders with the new 'fluidic design' philosophy.

I am not sure about that. The Vista interiors are anything but dated and decade old - they are in fact very good, at least to my eyes.

Interiors are not the problem, in fact they are class leading in space and looks. The problem with Indica is the exterior and image. That is dated, irrespective of what they tried to do with Vista, exteriors is just not upto mark, especially those christmas lights!
SunilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 23:19   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 45
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

2015 ?That seems like too long a period. Design which is planned now, might appear outdated 2 years down the lane, specially in the face of improved competition.

Anyways, the success of this new car will depend on another crucial factor, the quality of Tata A** at that time. If Tata wants it to do decent numbers, it HAS to improve its A** quality; without that, even a good product can fall flat on its face.
Caffeinated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:23   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
2 years to redesign body panels on an existing platform!
Whats so surprising - see what happened to the Storme-in-a-T-Cup. They spent 2 years sculpting the plastic cladding to give it a square edge, therefore any metalwork should actually take longer.

This thread will run for 2 years (with luck) before they give a 'preview' drive to someone like Luke, and then another year before they release the same car without any changes.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 11:08   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 623 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

I sincerely hope this is not that Indica XL which we have seen pics of. Tata is pretty capable though !!
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 12:26   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
2 years to redesign body panels on an existing platform! That just explains why Tata is where they are now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
2015 ?That seems like too long a period. Design which is planned now, might appear outdated 2 years down the lane, specially in the face of improved competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Whats so surprising - see what happened to the Storme-in-a-T-Cup. They spent 2 years sculpting the plastic cladding to give it a square edge, therefore any metalwork should actually take longer.
This thread will run for 2 years (with luck) before they give a 'preview' drive to someone like Luke, and then another year before they release the same car without any changes.
Agree with you guys!

Tata needs to quickly rid itself of 2 things:
  1. The Polish designer responsible for insipid products like Aria, Vista and Manza. D90 is an excellent car but heck, where's the styling?
  2. The disease of horribly long gestation periods. Instead of testing 10 prototypes over 3 years, why not produce 30 prototypes and test them over 1 year? Test them 24X7! The statements from TM's new top guys suggest they are acutely aware of this problem and have also promised it will be resolved soon. This is what TM's new R&D head says:
    Quote:
    "You'll see, over the next 12-18 months onwards, a fireworks of output."
    Have a look at this:

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/auto/art...ri-unit-315132

http://autocarpro.in/contents/NewsDe...=1&NewsID=1950
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 13:15   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
the cabin design (not execution) of the original Indica shows a maturity of thought and sureness of touch which no other (Aria included) TML vehicle has been able to match. The much lauded Vista, IMO, falls way short.)

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
The Polish designer responsible for insipid products like Aria, Vista and Manza. D90 is an excellent car but heck, where's the styling?
Thanks for putting this across. The Original Indica design had a continuity of flow and proportions that did not look awkward from any angle. Always looked like being carved out of a single block of steel being shaped. In comparison the newer cars, though have quite a few styling elements, they do not integrate with each other. Say for example the Window sill line in the Vista/Manza platform. Thankfully storme retained the syling of the original Safari and it still rocks. Was very very disappointed with the styling of newer Tata's.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 14:50   #26
BHPian
 
racer_ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 427
Thanked: 417 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Agree with you guys!

Tata needs to quickly rid itself of 2 things:
  1. The Polish designer responsible for insipid products like Aria, Vista and Manza. D90 is an excellent car but heck, where's the styling?
IIRC, the original Indica design was sub-contracted to the IDEA institute of Italy which would have obviously costed a bomb. Now since TML didnt want to spend that kind of money again, they would have resorted to cost cutting for the design and the result is the Vista.
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 15:46   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
IIRC, the original Indica design was sub-contracted to the IDEA institute of Italy which would have obviously costed a bomb. Now since TML didnt want to spend that kind of money again, they would have resorted to cost cutting for the design and the result is the Vista.
Very true!
Tata had paid IDEA Rs. 80 crores for styling the 1st generation Indica.
When time came to style the successor model, Tata poached an IDEA guy, helping him set up his own styling boutique called Trilix.

If you start cutting costs in car styling, it is bound to show somewhere!

Last edited by directinjection : 7th February 2013 at 15:59.
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 16:49   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 370
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
I am not sure about that. The Vista interiors are anything but dated and decade old - they are in fact very good, at least to my eyes.

Interiors are not the problem, in fact they are class leading in space and looks. The problem with Indica is the exterior and image. That is dated, irrespective of what they tried to do with Vista, exteriors is just not upto mark, especially those christmas lights!

Actually I was referring to the old indica and not vista, new vista's interiors are all right.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 20:07   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 2,060 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thanks for putting this across. The Original Indica design had a continuity of flow and proportions that did not look awkward from any angle.
To me, the difference is even more stark inside.

It might be interesting to take a poll to see how many of us feel this way! Wonder if the Calcutta air has something to do with fostering this point of view!

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 7th February 2013 at 20:11.
Sutripta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 21:07   #30
BHPian
 
troublemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nutley/Ahmedabad
Posts: 197
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

I would say that we should keep our expectations very low and we should be willing to wait for years!

Personally speaking, I have almost given up on TATA. C'mon, the company who owns Land Rover, cannot compete with Mahindra in SUV/MUV market! Just not happening..
troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Motors launches 'Tata Motors Service' for passenger vehicles GrammarNazi The Indian Car Scene 10 30th July 2013 11:21
BMW R&D Head confirms 10 brand-new product lines by December 2014 swiftnfurious The International Automotive Scene 1 14th February 2013 15:12
Tata Motors Enters Motorsports With “Tata Motors Full Throttle”! fiat_tarun Indian Motorsport 28 16th September 2012 12:16
Funfilled Weekend for Customers courtesy Tata Motors, KHT Motors and Aadya Motors anujmishra Indian Car Dealerships 9 27th May 2012 16:47
M&M lines up 7 new vehicles idea The Indian Car Scene 7 22nd November 2010 11:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:57.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks