Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th April 2013, 00:51   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

A Platform is something like this (remove seats, carpets and engine from your visualization):-

aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 00:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
I think people are carrying serious misconceptions here. Lets first understand what is the meaning of a platform.

A Platform means the floorpan (from dash panel / firewall to approx rear seat bench) + front end (area between the radiator and the dash panel / firewall) and rear floor extension (the floor beyond rear seat bench and rear bumper) with the suspension and steering gear setup.
Sometimes its not even that. The Indigo XL for example shares a different floorpan to Indigo. The Indigo has different floorpan and even rear suspension to the Indica.

The word platform is a lot vague today. It refers to a probable start point of evolutions to a design. Which component is going to be shared depends on which way the particular variant has grown on.

When manufacturers say that they have built some car on a all new platform, they are merely refering to the car being designed totally afresh.

Anyway, this thread coming alive is misleading. Tata is not working on a premium hatch presently.

Last edited by 1100D : 27th April 2013 at 01:18.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 01:12   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Sometimes its not even that. The Indigo XL for example shares a different floorplan to Indigo. The Indigo has different floorplan and even rear suspension to the Indica.

The word platform is a lot vague today. It refers to a probable start point of evolutions to a design. Which component is going to be shared depends on which way the particular variant has grown on.

When manufacturers say that they have built some car on a all new platform, they are merely refering to the car being designed totally afresh.

Anyway, this thread coming alive is misleading. Tata is not working on a premium hatch presently.
I used the word "floorpan", not "floorplan". They are different. Floorplan is an application of interior styling elements on the floorpan.

I do somewhat agree with you on Vagueness, though not entirely. In the design of a platform, provisions are made for mounting a different suspension setup, either by way of commonizing the mounting points, or creating provisions for additional reinforcements to create new mounting points.

When manufacturers say that they have built some car on an all new platform, they are referring to the technical condition "Full Model Change" (all structural parts including platform are new - Read huge investment / 4~5 yr development cycle).

When manufacturers say that they have built some new car on an existing platform, they are referring to the technical condition "Full body Change" (Keeping the platform same - Read moderate~large investment / 2~2.5 yr development cycle).

Last edited by aditya79india : 27th April 2013 at 01:14.
aditya79india is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 01:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used the word "floorpan", not "floorplan". They are different. Floorplan is an application of interior styling elements on the floorpan.
I corrected the typo. I meant floorpan, not floorpan. Indigo xl, Indigo, Indica all have different floorpans.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 01:30   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think people are carrying serious misconceptions here. Lets first understand what is the meaning of a platform.

A Platform means the floorpan (from dash panel / firewall to approx rear seat bench) + front end (area between the radiator and the dash panel / firewall) and rear floor extension (the floor beyond rear seat bench and rear bumper) with the suspension and steering gear setup.

Thats it. Nothing more, Nothing less.
Is this what they teach at school these days? Please explain how Innova/ Fortuner/ Hilux are of the same platform. I would really like to hear your theory on floorpans here.

Infact, you are not wrong per se, but what you have explained is one of the oldest definitions of the word platform - one which is long considered as outdated.
Modern days - a platform is nothing but common engineering. To qoute Wikipedia -
Quote:
An automobile platform is a shared set of common design, engineering, and production efforts, as well as major components over a number of outwardly distinct models and even types of automobiles, often from different, but related marques.
Of course, the most common place we still hear the word platforms is in the case of Swift/ DZire, Brio/ Amaze etc where its easy to retain the old meaning of the word. However - thats all but true in the case of newer cars, for example the VAG MGB platform, consisting of Audi A3, VW Golf and Skoda Octavia. There is no common floorpan, heck even parts sharing is almost bare minimum - but then - the engineering that goes into these cars is similar - and that enables the company to save on costs - hence they are of the same platform. Even minute things like suspension layout, engine positioning, transmissions sharing, steering layout can be including in platform sharing.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2013, 01:52   #51
BHPian

The explanation I gave is in context of allusions to Indica styling and strictly applicable to monocoque construction. Innova/ Fortuner/ Hilux are body on frame construction, but nevertheless use the same basic platform.

The Wikipedia definition you sighted is the philosophy behind platform sharing. My explanation was geared more at the layman (even more layman than Wikipedia), which is why I attempted an illustration also. I hope you get the point.

Commonization of engines and transmissions is quite independent of platform sharing strategy. It supplants the platform.

Things like suspension layout, engine positioning, transmissions sharing, steering layout are not minute details. These are engineering activities of great detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is this what they teach at school these days?
The problem with Indian engg education in mainstream courses is that they don't teach you these things at school. You learn these in the industry directly.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th April 2013 at 08:35. Reason: Merging posts
aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 08:04   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Tata Motors plans new compact car, the X0

Tata Motors plans new compact car 'X0' at Sanand to offset low Nano numbers, expected to roll out by 2015.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20022392.cms
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 08:20   #53
BHPian

Default re: Tata Motors plans new compact car, the X0

I am wary of the facts that:
  • The new car will launch in 2015; nobody knows how the market will be then
  • The new car will be based on Indica platform

Come on TATA, you need to move out of the comfort zone and start doing some real work and most importantly shed your past and make a new beginning !!
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 13:52   #54
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There is definitely a clear slot between the Indica and the Nano, and the objective of targeting it seems correct. The timelines though are questionable. If one considers the time it has / is taking TATA to introduce just the refresh or updated variants of the Nano and the Vista itself.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 14:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

While I appreciate the fact that Tata is focussing on newer models, I would really Appreciate if Tata motors can also give an official press statement to improve quality levels.

A new car might be good, but it must be as bullet proof and robust like Marutis, Hondas & Toyotas etc. Heck - They must at least match up a Hyundai.

Tata - One request - PLease DO NOT have the chrtistmas tree Indica/Aria tail lamps in your 2015 model.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 17:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Motors plans new compact car, the X0

They should launch this compact car with a diesel motor from the start. They do have a 3 cylinder one running in their Super Ace which is basically from the Indica block that can do the job.

Though slightly but to utilize the Sanand plant, they need to launch the Nano Diesel at the earliest. It would be safe to assume that their sales number will go up substantially than what it is now. The main reason to that is that they will have a very niche segment (subcompact) to themselves.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 19:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Tata Motors plans new compact car, the X0

Tata has to move from their Indica/Indigo platform as well as name in order to sell even 1 pc by 2015. No more smiling grills and no more chrismas tail lights. After all they own JLR. Least thing they can innovate is a new grill and totally different tail lights. And some name that doesnt have Indi anywhere.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote