Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th February 2013, 07:46   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Tata Motors lines up new hatchback, the X0

Quote:
The new car, codenamed 'X0', is likely to be built on the refurbished Indica platform and will be one of the company's biggest launches when it is unveiled in 2015.

The exact product specification in terms of design, cost and time, called final data judgement (FDJ) in industry parlance, is likely to be frozen on March 31. Vendors will then be asked to work on the project.
The small car is expected to be powered by a 1.05-litre three-cylinder diesel engine and 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine. To offer a wider price range, Tata Motors may include other higher-powered engine options as well.
Source & Full Article

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2013 at 12:44. Reason: Keeping fair usage practices in mind, it is best to include an excerpt + link to full article
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 08:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Tata Motors lines up new premium hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
TATA is working on a new premium small car that will compete with successful models of rivals Maruti
I think the first they need is to come out of the Indica mould and create an independent brand. If not, then even if they get a very good product line,
the ghosts of Indica's past (as a cab segment) would always haunt them for sales.

And I think its time they have new design language.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 08:54   #3
BHPian

Why is Tata thriving on the Indica ghost? I mean yes the car is a no nonsense car and built to take abuse but then you need evolve out of it.

Get some fresh thinking cap on, get some radical design and you will have a good product. All they end up doing is confusing the buyer with endless variants of the same prototype - the latest being Vista cross.
arup.misra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 09:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

By Indica platform, do they refer to the old Indica or the new (Vista) one?

Quote:
"A common man does not see the platform; he or she is attracted by the style, design and features. The new X0 intends to deliver just that with almost 75% change in body in white (body panels)"
The article clearly suggests that it won't look like the Indica. So there's no reason to believe this vehicle will have the Indica design. In fact after reading some of the recent interviews from that Tata Motors head honchos, it is clear that they have understood the need for a new design language. So I'll wait till I see the first prototype before flagging TaMo.

1.2L turbo petrol engine sounds interesting. 1.05L diesel seems to be the unit that was displayed at the Auto Expo.

PS - This appears to be a different car than the Megapixel, which is reportedly based on the Nano.

Last edited by safari_lover : 6th February 2013 at 09:44.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 09:55   #5
BHPian

2015?? And no big launches till then? Competition would leave nothing for Tata in that segment by 2015.
Sanjunair5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 10:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
2015?? And no big launches till then? Competition would leave nothing for Tata in that segment by 2015.
Seems they would bank on the D90 Extreme Crossover until then!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 10:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Why is Tata thriving on the Indica ghost?
Oh how I agree with you on this one!

I don't know Tata's fascination with the Indica platform. I personally never liked it, and I hate seeing every other Tata offering look like it's immediate sibling. Needless to say if the new X0 has the same design cues, which I'm glad the news suggest otherwise, will finally be a Tata product to look forward to, after such a long time that is!
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 10:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The small car is expected to be powered by a 1.05-litre three-cylinder diesel engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
1.05L diesel seems to be the unit that was displayed at the Auto Expo.
Aka Indica CR4 diesel engine with one cylinder chopped off, although it'll probably get the lighter aluminum block Tata is working on.

Quote:
and 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine.
Xeta engine or Fiat engine?

Quote:
By Indica platform, do they refer to the old Indica or the new (Vista) one?
Considering the "X" prefix, it should be the new one.

Quote:
PS - This appears to be a different car than the Megapixel, which is reportedly based on the Nano.
Considering the specs and the fact that they'll be frozen for vendors on 31 March, it seems the article is talking about the Pixel.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 10:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

2 years to redesign body panels on an existing platform! That just explains why Tata is where they are now.

I'm just curious how long it took them to design the Vista D90 panels.

Quote:
True. Going by the diminishing sales numbers and no game changers for another 2 years, would they be able to survive till then in the passenger car segment? Even if they launch an amazing product, no customer is going to take Tata's reliability without a pinch of salt.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 11:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Xeta engine or Fiat engine?
Neither. Apparently TaMo is working on a new petrol engine series as disclosed in a recent IAB interview of Mr. Amit Sagar, head of Indica product group.

Quote:
We will have, on petrol we are developing a whole new series of powertrain that will hit the market in sometime and turbocharging is also an option but there are various other options that we can look at…today we can have engines without turbocharging but giving you that kind of power and fuel efficiency. So there are various technologies available and we are looking at all of that.
source - http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/t...+Autos+blog%29

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Considering the specs and the fact that they'll be frozen for vendors on 31 March, it seems the article is talking about the Pixel.
I agree the specs point to the Pixel but shouldn't the Pixel be under development already. The upcoming Geneva Motors show could hold some clues.

Last edited by safari_lover : 6th February 2013 at 11:06.
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 11:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Tata has achieved mastery in building spacious & VFM vehicles. I feel now they should concentrate on 'Quality, Refinement & Reliability'.

I truly believe that Tata has lot of potential and can easily grab and hold #2 position if they channelize their efforts and understand priorities.

Lets wait for scoops/spy pics and more info. on this.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 11:33   #12

Why is everyone assuming "Indica platform" means same mould or similar looking car?
It simply means "a shared set of common design, engineering, and production efforts" which consequently leads to lower designing and production cost.

For more clarity Jaguar XJ and The New Range Rover has the same platform and to my eye both has a monumentally different.
rahulsampath is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 12:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A premium hatch back with a 3 cylinder diesel? Hope they do everything right. So I guess this will sit between the Nano D & the Indica / Vista siblings.

Quote:
They have already stated that they have a series of launches coming up in 2014. Not necessarily new products, but new variants.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 12:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Neither. Apparently TaMo is working on a new petrol engine series as disclosed in a recent IAB interview of Mr. Amit Sagar, head of Indica product group.
If one looks at the constantly increasing diesel prices over the past one year, the 'diesel advantage' may no longer be a selling proposition in 2015 - therefore, in my view it makes ample sense to invest in a new petrol engine. It would be new game for TML in a way to crack the petrol engine market.

In terms of a "fresh design" - I wish and pray that they get rid of the 'trademark' christmas tree taillight design
Rajeev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 15:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
If one looks at the constantly increasing diesel prices over the past one year, the 'diesel advantage' may no longer be a selling proposition in 2015 - therefore, in my view it makes ample sense to invest in a new petrol engine. It would be new game for TML in a way to crack the petrol engine market.

In terms of a "fresh design" - I wish and pray that they get rid of the 'trademark' christmas tree taillight design
Infact it makes sense now for every auto manufacturer to invest in newer and more efficient petrol motors. I think its high time that we had turbo charged ones powering our premium hatches and entry level sedans. There is only so power much that the current gen 1.2L naturally aspirated engines can produce and I think we are reaching the upper limit already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
A premium hatch back with a 3 cylinder diesel? Hope they do everything right. So I guess this will sit between the Nano D & the Indica / Vista siblings.
I hope they dont take cue from the Polo and price it on the higher side. Then, we will have another market dud right from Day 1 of launch. TML neither have the snob value nor the quality that matches VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsampath View Post
Why is everyone assuming "Indica platform" means same mould or similar looking car?
It simply means "a shared set of common design, engineering, and production efforts" which consequently leads to lower designing and production cost.

For more clarity Jaguar XJ and The New Range Rover has the same platform and to my eye both has a monumentally different.
IMHO, only the name Indica is sufficient for the majority of masses to shy away from this product. I strongly feel that its high time TML shed the Indica image and launch a new independant product.

And with regards to the XJ and the Range Rover, the investment by JLR on design of these products will be many times higher than what TML invests on the redesigning of the Indica platform. So I dont think we can expect a vastly different product.

Last edited by racer_ash : 6th February 2013 at 15:47.
racer_ash is offline   Reply With Quote