Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd May 2006, 09:27   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash2757
Nitin Said, he touches speed of 100 for a new car, Do u guys say yes for that ?

As of now what I know is new cars should not cross speed of 60 till it crosses 1000 Kms, What do u guys say abt it ?

My Alto's Manual says that the speed should not be exceeded above 100 till first 1000 kms. So I guess its pretty fine.

I dont have a Tacho in Alto but I believe the rpm at which the car does the mentioned top(sor first 1k kms) is the rpm which you should never cross before 1st sevice i.e. if a car's maunal says 100 as top speed for the initial period & the car does 100@ 3k rpm then during the 1st 1000 kms you should not rev the engine beyong3k rpm in any gear.

My 2 cents
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
santro and palio1.6

santro tyres gives a life of about 40-42K kms.
palio also gives a life of near 40K kms.

i always replaces all 5 tyres at one go.
Thats the right way to go about tyre replacement. Changing all 5 at one shot keeps your car in perfect shape and balance. That is why it is very important to involve the spare tyre in the rotation proramme.

So lng....
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 17:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Ram, I do not agree that the left should be on the left and right to right. The tyres are rotated in the first place to wear out evenly. What we should consider is that the tyre does not change from clockwise rotation to anticlockwise or vice versa.

Have driven various vehicles both with cross ply as well as radial and have always rotated the wheels every 4K to 5K.

This is to be religiously done with an alignment and balancing to get the best out of your tyres..

Cheers
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
What we should consider is that the tyre does not change from clockwise rotation to anticlockwise or vice versa.
Headers, you just got to visualise that when the Front LH goes to Rear RH the direction of the tyres changes from clockwise to anticlockwise. there is just no other way.

Probably what Ram is talking is about the Wet weather tryes or intermediates where the LH stays on LH and RH on the RH side. Here the pattern on the tyres are designed in such a way where the water on the tarmac is expelled away from the track. In the west most tyres are used depending upon the season of the year. At times you need to have chains on the tyres to move on the snow.

It is only in India that we need to conserve the tyres because of their exhorbitant cost. This is where tyre rotation plays an important part.

So long....
Old 22nd May 2006, 21:14   #35
BHPian

Completely agree with Jango, Dont give your car to anyone at least for the first 1000 kms..
Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 22:39   #36
BHPian

can anyone explain the need to rotate 5 tyres instead of 4?

i find it better to sparingly use the spare, so that when the time to replace tyres come, you replace only 4 instead of 5. I understand that this wd mean you wd have to replace them after say 40k km instead of 50k. But that seems ok to me.
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 08:57   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
can anyone explain the need to rotate 5 tyres instead of 4?

i find it better to sparingly use the spare, so that when the time to replace tyres come, you replace only 4 instead of 5. I understand that this wd mean you wd have to replace them after say 40k km instead of 50k. But that seems ok to me.
what will you do if you want to buy a set of plus-size tyres or wants to fit alloys and wider tyres?

that spare tyre will get wasted!

so it is always better to rotate all 5 and increase the longevity of tyre to its max and then replace ALL 5 tyres at one go.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 09:03   #38
BANNED

imho, there is no hard and fast rule for tyre rotation.

i just puts tyres with best-treads in front and any of remaining tyres at rear and one in spare.

look carefully at treads and if reqd. get tyres' inside-edge-out too.
(say, fitting the rt fr tyre in place of lt fr tyre but in same rotating direction, for that you have to do inside-edge-out)

more attention is needed, if tyres are unidirectional.

also never mixes tyres with different tread patterns and sizes.

P.S.: i guess we all drifted away from the main theme of thread!
mods, if you could pls filter out the "Tyre Rotation" replies and make a separate thread, it'd be much better.

Last edited by revharder : 23rd May 2006 at 09:04.
Old 23rd May 2006, 09:56   #39

Nitin, I think you are doing just fine with your new car. You shouldn;t be really worried this much. I wanted to add one thing about Fuel. I make it a point to fill gas at the same bunk (find a good one and stick to it) all the time. I have a corsa and through some experimentation i have found the FE to be really poor when i fill gas at diff stations. Also make sure your fuel doesnt drop into the red zone.
WishboneAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 11:38   #40
BHPian

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinchavan
You are assuming its only the engine that needs to be taken care of during the initial kms. What about the other moving and non-moving parts which get impacted by high speed?
guys,thanks for yr suggestions....
for those who are not aware,my car is ford ikon - already run 1000 kms in 3 weeks...I dnt touch speeds of 90-100 regularly...but may touch occasionally...

Sachin,other moving parts are not of much concern....the reason why you shdnot touch very high speeds(read RPM) is that the engine bore and piston are not synchronized in a new car...those are the critical moving parts...Once these parts are smoothened and synchronized well,then there's no problem...hence,the mileage increases after 2-3K of running !

All other parts are designed for optimum speeds...so,shdnot be a problem...

anyone to second me ?

Last edited by nitinhegde : 23rd May 2006 at 11:44.
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:22   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde
anyone to second me ?
yes. i am. .
Old 25th May 2006, 06:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Is there any need for Tyre Rotation in the case of RWD vehicles like Omni since for rear wheel drive vehicles, the weight distribution between front and back is 50:50 ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 08:44   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Is there any need for Tyre Rotation in the case of RWD vehicles like Omni since for rear wheel drive vehicles, the weight distribution between front and back is 50:50 ?
Yes, Tyre rotation is required if you want all your tyres to last long.

So long....
Old 25th May 2006, 17:43   #44
BHPian

Alllways wear seat belts...

cheers
aNu
hianooo is offline   Reply With Quote