Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd February 2013, 05:12   #16
BHPian

Default re: Honda winds up Jazz production!

Another mega-hatch bites the dust. Was heart-broken when it happened with the Getz and now this.

But seeing the Fits around here, it reminds me that Jazz is still active in the Honda lineup.

Spares should not be a worry I suppose.

Lets see how Honda manages to compensate this (and Civic's) loss with the Amaze.

A cracker of a price is definitely called for. Else its a phase out even before the launch.
srinath34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 07:00   #17
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda may bet big on the Amaze, but I am not sure that the company and its dealers are capable of handling the mass market. Honda has always dealt with an informed buyer who gave more importance to the car and was willing to live with the arrogance of Honda and it's Dealers. With the mass market you cannot deal with the same arrogance. Honda will need to follow Maruti or Hyundai in their approach to their customers. They have to respect that the customer is not necessarily informed but is high on emotions. You treat him badly or take him for granted, you will run into trouble. A brand new car is still an aspiration for most people and you need to respect that this is a major event in his life. Lack of respect and arrogance will finish you.

The Jazz episode reeks of their arrogance. They launched a great car at a unjustified price. Then they slash the price but do not deliver cars stating they are making losses! When they slashed the price did they not anticipate that the car would at least double its current volumes to say 800 cars a month? Did they forget their maths? Why did they not stagger the bookings or close the bookings till they cleared significant backlogs in delivery?

Amaze is expected to be a good car but I have serious doubts if Honda can fully harness its potential considering it is expect to sell mainly in the cities. Secondly the Amaze will cannibalize the City. Overall market share of Honda may not significantly increase

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 07:07   #18
BHPian

This is saddening! Jazz undoubtedly was a head-turner all this while,also not forgetting the very spacious hatch it was.

Launched in early 09, still managed to look so futuristic. Wonder, if the new-gen Jazz would be as dynamic looking as this one was.

With the Brio on sale, it was not even possible for Honda to sell these at a massive discount considering the former's sales would be impacted, in addition to the losses they were already undergoing with each sale.

First the current gen Civic and now this! :(

-Shivang Gandotra
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sad end to a truly global car loaded with class-leading features. I almost bought one in October 2012 but Honda did not want to sell the base model I wanted.

We went for the Polo instead albeit without the safety features :-( Somewhat relieved though as I would have panicked at retaining a discontinued model for the expected 5 years +.

Hope the new Jazz will be a killer!
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:22   #20
BHPian

Jazz was truly an amazing car. With a steeply raked windscreen, smart-looking front quarter glasses, a huge green house, a big boot and an intelligent space-maximization package that it is, it was the best all-round car in Indian market. Sad to see it go. If Maruti or Hyundai comes with a "Jazz-like" package, it'll surely top the sales charts!
vikred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:28   #21
BHPian

Why oh why have honda stopped production of what I have always maintained was the second best all round vehicle in India (following the Innova due to its space and GC). Bad marketing and pricing policy.

I hope they relaunch the new Jazz model that is planned for next year.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:40   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

What seems to have happened is that the engine bay cannot take the 1.5D. So the model is being redone. Also, one can expect a new City soon as well (they share the pan). In the meanwhile Honda expect to be busy with the Amaze D.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:56   #23
BHPian

Sad to hear this news. This was the best looking hatch in the market. My mom always used to tell that it looked like a hot wheels car from the side profile. We had test driven this car around 5 months back and had almost finalized on it but we dropped the plan of buying. They could have modified the Jazz to accommodate the 1.5D instead of pasting the boot on Brio. IMHO Jazz looks thousand times better than the Amaze.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear that Jazz production is stopped, it is the best hatch in the country. Maybe Honda should have added thwarted Amaze Diesel to the Jazz ?

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2013 at 15:44. Reason: Please use CAPS where appropriate. Makes for better readability
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

It was just a matter of time before this happened and they were anyway not interested in selling Jazz for quite some time now. They've finally made it official and saved the dealers some trouble while dealing with customers. Now the dealers can say the model is discontinued instead of giving lame excuses for not taking a Jazz booking.

With Jazz out of the way, they have a bigger flexibility in pricing the Amaze. I just hope they don't overprice Amaze since the next car in their stable is now City and there is a big gap to it. Its high time City gets additional features like ACC in higher variants to differentiate with Amaze. Its anyway tough times ahead for City till 2014 when it might get a revision and a diesel engine. I hope new City would have enough additional features to make it sensible over Amaze.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

This was a sad news for me. My dad was thinking of a new car and I was going to recommend the Jazz and this news pops up. It was a highly under-rated but brilliant car. Hope that Honda brings in a much better vehicle, with diesel option and most importantly price it correctly. May be then I will buy it.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 14:16   #27
BANNED

MODS: please remove the word Rumour as its a confirmed news from Honda India.

Jazz production has been stopped and no further bookings are being taken.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Autos/...1-1015940.aspx
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 14:56   #28
BHPian

Jazz reached this state because Honda didn't want to sell it.Its only in countries like India they are forced to sell it a lesser price then the Honda City.

Jazz after the heavy discounts and relaunch of face lifted model at a lower price has always had the demand but honda never interested to sell it.Even some 2 months ago it still had a 3 month waiting period.

If you just look at petrol only numbers of other hatchbacks you will notice that Jazz sell just as much as any other petrol B+ hatchback .
Take for eg Figo the petrol version only sells around 150 vehicles a month where as the diesel sells around 4600+
Nissan micra petrol version sells around 143 vehicles
Toyota Liva petrol sells around 300 vehicles.

Maruti and Hyundai don't release the data on how many petrol and diesel vehicles are sold ,but i wouldn't be surprised its the same story with them ,they would obviously sell a bit more but considering the Jazz prices and it being a petrol its sales was just like most other B+ petrol Hatchbacks.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 15:53   #29
BANNED

Didn't understand what the Honda wants for India !

Expanding a product portfolio, always remains a big dream for a company/business organization but shrinking it does raises a questions on the expectations from the big-H(Honda).

Honda is really getting rid of great products in India, i.e CIVIC, Jazz.
Maybe a strategy to create vacuum till their re-introduction after an year, IMHO.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Jazz reached this state because Honda didn't want to sell it.Its only in countries like India they are forced to sell it a lesser price then the Honda City.
I think it is nothing related to forcing Honda than to blame their own greed. Evan in countries where its slotted along city, its equipped well ahead of ours and comes with the 1.5 ivtec. With basic equipments, 1.2 litre engine and an excise cut they can't expect to price it like other countries and get away with it.

Even if you consider the other markets like UK, jazz competes only with the likes of polo, fabia & swift, which is the same case as in India. If the other companies can competitively prize their cars in India, then why can't Honda?

Its only a matter of greed on part of Honda to expect a premium for anything with a H badge and their unwillingness to take India seriously to localize jazz from the outset to prize it competitively.

I seriously hope the Amaze also doesn't go the jazz way and they wake up to the reality and act accordingly when they update their portfolio in 2014.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote