Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2014, 15:18   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For a 30+ lakh vehicle, i was expecting a full blown touch screen HU. But looks like Hyundai has down speeced for Indian market. That is a very basic looking unit
Totally agree with you on this. As per Hyundai Australia website, the higher end models get a 7" touch screen unit with Sat Nav + 10 speaker audio. Only the lower variants get the 4.3" touchscreen with 4 speakers + 2 tweeters. Looks like this is what is being offered here.

Of course we are speculating a bit here as official launch is yet to happen. Lets hope Hyundai proves us wrong!
Old 30th January 2014, 16:10   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Other than more powerful engine and better looks, what more does it offer than the XUV 500 whose top end AWD costs little more than half the on road price of the Santa Fe which justifies the 12 lakh extra one pays over the XUV?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 30th January 2014 at 16:30.
Old 30th January 2014, 16:32   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Other than more powerful engine and better looks, what more does it offer than the XUV 500 whose top end AWD costs little more than half the on road price of the Santa Fe?
Well, this can be asked about quite a few cars in our market. For e.g.; you can ask the same about Honda CR-V as well

I am not sure of the final specs for India, but from what I've seen the Santa FE is a good package, and pricing around the vicinity of the CR-V, Fortuner etc. is quite justified.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 16:55   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Other than more powerful engine and better looks, what more does it offer than the XUV 500 whose top end AWD costs little more than half the on road price of the Santa Fe which justifies the 12 lakh extra one pays over the XUV?
Well. Try both driving and being driven. Also spend some time both inside and outside. Spend some more time owning both for a while. Hopefully you'll get the answer.
Old 30th January 2014, 17:10   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, this can be asked about quite a few cars in our market. For e.g.; you can ask the same about Honda CR-V as well

I am not sure of the final specs for India, but from what I've seen the Santa FE is a good package, and pricing around the vicinity of the CR-V, Fortuner etc. is quite justified.
True. Rupee depreciation and crazy tax structures have really pushed up SUV prices.

Hyundai has come a long way. Unlike few years back, I don't think people will hesitate in spending so much money on a Hyundai badged car.

Apart from rivals like the Fortuner, Koleos, etc... sedans like the Octavia, Superb and Passat too better watch out for competition from this good looking, well equipped and well specced softroader. It looks like a big step up from the last gen model.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 17:59   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I feel the Santa Fe is overpriced, but your question may not be a valid comparison (xuv vs SF)

all i can say is that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts!
Old 30th January 2014, 18:48   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Well. Try both driving and being driven. Also spend some time both inside and outside. Spend some more time owning both for a while. Hopefully you'll get the answer.
If i could do that i would not have asked the question in first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Though I feel the Santa Fe is overpriced, but your question may not be a valid comparison (xuv vs SF)

all i can say is that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts!
Why is it not a valid comparison? when Skoda superb can be compared with an E Class why not this?

Both are SUV .Both have powerful engines and capable AWD and both are equally speeced safety wise. I want to know what parts of the whole justify the premium of 12 to 13 lakh over the XUV
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 18:53   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why is it not a valid comparison? when Skoda superb can be compared with an E Class why not this?

Both are SUV .Both have powerful engines and capable AWD and both are equally speeced safety wise. I want to know what parts of the whole justify the premium of 12 to 13 lakh over the XUV
Let me name a few parts that differentiate the 2:

1. Fit and Finish
2. Refinement
3. Quality of the interiors
4. Materials used
5. Engine and transmission are in a different league. 6 speed AT option and a 2.2L engine that puts out 197BHP.
6. Reliability
7. Electronics

The difference between the 2 is like chalk and cheese.

You can alternately compare the Hyundai Santa Fe with the Audi Q5 or the ML 250CDI and you will find that even though the Hyundai costs half as much it actually has more space and more features than the Audi.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:16   #144
BNR

Couldn't help but post this link that I chanced upon. Brilliantly executed and informative.

BNR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 13:53   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR View Post
Couldn't help but post this link that I chanced upon. Brilliantly executed and informative...
Beautiful video. The car looks so desirable. Have to wait and see how much are they going to strip it down for India though.

If they are NOT providing a full fledged screen, it's a crime though.
Old 31st January 2014, 14:19   #146
BHPian

The video shows a 6 seater version with captain seats in the second row, i dont think they would get this option down to India but I can only hope and wish that they do, the captain seats in the second row is the only reason why my family chooses an Innova each time over any other car. Also the panaromic sunroof, any news of this being offered on the version being brought down to India?
Old 31st January 2014, 15:45   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
The video shows a 6 seater version with captain seats in the second row, i dont think they would get this option down to India but I can only hope and wish that they do, the captain seats in the second row is the only reason why my family chooses an Innova each time over any other car. Also the panaromic sunroof, any news of this being offered on the version being brought down to India?
In India, they are likely to launch only 7 seater version( without captain seat) and sadly enough no sunroof either. The middle row however, is extremely comfortable and nice for 2 adults as there is an arm rest stowed in the back rest in between ( middle) the two seats on the sides and middle row seats tilt and slide as per the reports till now ( split 40:20:40). The rear seats are mostly kept folded to make it a very comfortable and spacious 4 seater with plenty of luggage for touring with family and occasional five/ seven seater when needed for short trips if someone needs to sit in the last row. We may not be getting navigation system as well - though it is offered in most markets with a touchscreen AV unit. In some markets, they offer ventilated / heated seats also in Santa Fe. This too they are most likely to skip here. This apparently seems to achieve two purposes: 1. Keep the costs down 2. look for an optimum combination for having less number of trims . However, this would also help the existing Santa Fe owners not feel too shortchanged as otherwise suddenly the existing Santa Fe will start feeling like a pre-historic beast.

However, at least for the 4wd trims, they should have considered navigation system as an option considering that some of the 4wd buyers may actually travel beyond the good roads for fun/ adventure beyond their usual commute or well known roads and these days there are plenty of people who use an aftermarket navigation system / smart phone based google maps/ navigation. However, convenience of an inbuilt navigation system is unparallel. Cant help to mention again that even XUV500 has it as so does T Fort. Though I dont think this could be a dealbreaker for most of the folks who are keen to lay their hands on new Santa Fe. Hope the HU is upgradeable or some good authorised aftermarket options are available. Test drive cars are expected to arrive most showrooms by Wednesday . Some may have already got it or getting it for the weekend. Anyone keen on exploring, may get in touch with nearby dealer.

Despite seemingly high price and some of the features missing, Hyundai is hoping that this time they may be able to get a decent share of SUV sales with Fluidic Santa Fe. Existing Santa Fe owners would be able to actually notice the difference much better and appreciate if someone can share his views on the difference after launch . I was wondering would something like a 'piezo' injector make such a difference that FE jumps from 10kmpl to 13- 15 kmpl ( in real life) in the same engine/ vehicle? Apparently no other technology seems to be employed to improve FE apart from bit improvement in aerodynamics ( coefficient of drag) as it appears in the ppt.

Last edited by shatrughna : 31st January 2014 at 15:51.
shatrughna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 17:10   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
In India, they are likely to launch only 7 seater version( without captain seat) and sadly enough no sunroof either. The middle row however, is extremely comfortable and nice for 2 adults as there is an arm rest stowed in the back rest in between ( middle) the two seats on the sides and middle row seats tilt and slide as per the reports till now ( split 40:20:40).
Despite seemingly high price and some of the features missing, Hyundai is hoping that this time they may be able to get a decent share of SUV sales with Fluidic Santa Fe. Existing Santa Fe owners would be able to actually notice the difference much better and appreciate if someone can share his views on the difference after launch . I was wondering would something like a 'piezo' injector make such a difference that FE jumps from 10kmpl to 13- 15 kmpl ( in real life) in the same engine/ vehicle? Apparently no other technology seems to be employed to improve FE apart from bit improvement in aerodynamics ( coefficient of drag) as it appears in the ppt.
Thanks for the info shatrughna, agreed that the second row would be comfortable being spacious, etc but the biggest problem that all SUV's including the likes of fortuner face is the high floor which reduces the thigh support making sitting in the second row a bit uncomfortable, the innova with the captain seats and low floor with better thigh support scores higher in the second row seating comfort. Now since in my case the car is used by my father who is chauffered around for 70 to 80 kms in a day, the second row seating comfort is top priority and a reason for him to buy an Innova even over a 5 series or E class. I wish for the captain seats in the second row as this would improve the situation slightly i feel.

If Hyundai prices the Santa Fe in the 30L plus range, above the fortuner and does not even offer luxuries like sun roof and bigger touch screen IMHO they will not be able to sell in large numbers or make the Santa Fe a game changer for them in India. People in India still do not care about the feature list consisting of gadgets like Hill Descent Control, etc nor for the safety features, for most buyers in that price range the car needs to have the snob value, it needs to have a sunroof so that they can plonk their precious little ones out of these and if its an SUV then it needs to look butch for them to get their way around. If it is priced above 30L then it almost comes in the territory of the C Class, 3 Series and A4 (with the discounts on offer these days) which to the Indian customer would offer better snob value for their money and if they need a butch looking SUV then they could spend on a cheaper butch looking Fortuner.

Regards,
VVB

Last edited by vvb8530 : 31st January 2014 at 17:12.
Old 31st January 2014, 17:26   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Thanks for the info shatrughna, agreed that the second row would be comfortable being spacious, etc but the biggest problem that all SUV's including the likes of fortuner face is the high floor which reduces the thigh support making sitting in the second row a bit uncomfortable, the innova with the captain seats and low floor with better thigh support scores higher in the second row seating comfort.
That's because the Innova has smaller tyres and is more shaped like a van resulting in better comfort.

The Fortuner and Endeavour have the problem of low thigh support because they are based on a ladder on frame construction. This means the body is bolted onto the chasis resulting which results in high floor.

The Santa Fe is a monocoque construction like the XUV and the CR-V and you can immediately see these cars don't have the issue with poor thigh support.
Old 31st January 2014, 17:40   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That's because the Innova has smaller tyres and is more shaped like a van resulting in better comfort.

The Fortuner and Endeavour have the problem of low thigh support because they are based on a ladder on frame construction. This means the body is bolted onto the chasis resulting which results in high floor.

The Santa Fe is a monocoque construction like the XUV and the CR-V and you can immediately see these cars don't have the issue with poor thigh support.
Hey Vid,

Agreed 100% with you there, infact Endeavour is the worst from the lot of ladder on frame's you quite literally sit in a yoga posture in the second and third row. But even in case of monocoques like the XUV i still find thigh support a problem when compared to the Innova. Well yes Innova is a van at the end of the day and hence offers sedan like comfort and the captain seats aid in enhancing the comfort not only in the second row but also for the third row by giving better stretchable space and airyness for the 3rd row passengers. Now imagine the XUV or any other monocoque with the captain seats in the second row, would it not make the second and third row much more comfortable.

The Escalades and GMC's available in US Markets come with this option and having used them a couple of times i can say they are any day way more comfortable than the normal bench seats.

Regards,
VVB
Closed Thread