Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 31st January 2014, 18:40   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Now imagine the XUV or any other monocoque with the captain seats in the second row, would it not make the second and third row much more comfortable.
The video I believe is of the Grand Santa FE (sold in the US). I guess India will be getting the regular 7-seater Santa FE with the 3rd row as an option more for kids, or for occasional usage. When not in use, it neatly folds down to the floor, to create huge boot space.
Old 31st January 2014, 18:45   #152
BHPian

Default re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The video I believe is of the Grand Santa FE (sold in the US). I guess India will be getting the regular 7-seater Santa FE with the 3rd row as an option more for kids, or for occasional usage. When not in use, it neatly folds down to the floor, to create huge boot space.
Oh i did not know that there are so many different versions and a bigger version called grand.

If this is the case then i guess the Santa Fe Grand would have been better for our bada hain toh behtar hain (Bigger the better) mentality Indian market .

VVB
Old 31st January 2014, 23:37   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Why is it not a valid comparison? when Skoda superb can be compared with an E Class why not this? ......
While I fully know Hyundai and Mahindra are not directly comparable, I also feel that this comparison is something I will make myself if I am in the market for an monocoque SUV. It is not like comparing Sante Fe with a Tata Sumo or a Bolero. Santa Fe and XUV are built according to the same template. So even if Santa Fe scores over the XUV on every count, does it really justify the 2X price tag? I am not yet convinced. A Hyundai SUV at 30 big ones is extremely overpriced in my opinion.
Old 1st February 2014, 11:21   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
...So even if Santa Fe scores over the XUV on every count, does it really justify the 2X price tag? I am not yet convinced. A Hyundai SUV at 30 big ones is extremely overpriced in my opinion.
I think you should compare Santa Fe with the vehicles and take a call whether it's over priced or not. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. If Fortuner can be sold at the same price as Santa Fe which makes it look like naked, why can't one pay for Santa Fe?

Just because it does NOT have a Japanese legacy??

Edit:: If it's for rough use, I think you better settle for XUV. The lesser pinch you take when something goes wrong.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st February 2014 at 11:23.
Old 1st February 2014, 11:31   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post
While I fully know Hyundai and Mahindra are not directly comparable, I also feel that this comparison is something I will make myself if I am in the market for an monocoque SUV. It is not like comparing Sante Fe with a Tata Sumo or a Bolero. Santa Fe and XUV are built according to the same template. So even if Santa Fe scores over the XUV on every count, does it really justify the 2X price tag? I am not yet convinced. A Hyundai SUV at 30 big ones is extremely overpriced in my opinion.
Why have you not compared XUV with a fortuner or an X1 till now? why only santafe? Any specific reasons for that?
Old 1st February 2014, 14:46   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think you should compare Santa Fe with the vehicles and take a call whether it's over priced or not. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. If Fortuner can be sold at the same price as Santa Fe which makes it look like naked, why can't one pay for Santa Fe?

Just because it does NOT have a Japanese legacy??

Edit:: If it's for rough use, I think you better settle for XUV. The lesser pinch you take when something goes wrong.
No, honestly I dont believe in that Japanese vs. Korean argument.

Now, I have driven the previous generation Santa Fe and I know it is a good car. But for me if I am looking for a mid sized crossover SUV (and I may soon ) XUV does make a solid case for itself. Having been in the new gen Santa Fe (not driven though) I am not yet sure if it does justify the 2X price tag. As a buyer I dont really care if it is CKD/SKD or if Hyundai is paying 105% duty on it. How to justify selling a car at a certain price point is Hyundai's headache.

I am pretty certain Hyundai has done its homework and knows what kind of volumes it can expect at the quoted price. They must really not be looking to pull in volumes for this is not their bread and butter car.

I don't think justifying Santa Fe's pricing by comparing it with Fortuner is right as I think many of us will acknowledge that Fortuner is overpriced as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Why have you not compared XUV with a fortuner or an X1 till now? why only santafe? Any specific reasons for that?
This particular comment was made as I agreed with someone who was comparing an XUV with a Santa Fe. I still believe it is a justified comparison.
Sanjunair5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:49   #157
BHPian

Official Hyundai India website is updated with a teaser for new Santa Fe.
http://m.hyundai.co.in/mobile/

Not able to check the links as copied from mobile browser. If any error is there, please report.
shatrughna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:57   #158
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I was expecting this thread to grow at a very fast pace and I was hoping that we will get know a lot more information on the car well before the launch. Now that the launch is 4 days away the curiosity is growing and I am unable to withstand the urge to get to know the exact variants, features and prices. Hope more information will pour in from tomorrow onwards. Please guys please post more pics and info.
Old 2nd February 2014, 21:16   #159
BHPian

Kudos to Hyundai India for being able to keep wraps on details till now. What I seriously hope is that they dont downgrade the kit on the car too much for India. 5th is only 3 days away, so lets wait and watch!!
Old 3rd February 2014, 06:23   #160
BHPian

The dealers in Bangalore don't seem to have any TD cars available and when I reached out to our leasing company they told us that "The new Hyundai Santa-Fe will be launched at Auto Expo 2014" and only then a TD car might be available.

Was wondering if anyone has had any different experience with Hyundai dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline gtr r34 View Post
With launch near first TD cars have arrived

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd February 2014 at 08:15. Reason: Removing font tags.
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:51   #161
BHPian

This is really surprising that though even just 2- 3 days to launch remaining, Hyundai is so tight lipped about the car. When reviewing the ppt, I re - read the FE figures and wondering whether this would be remotely possible considering a large 2.2 little engine irrespective of the hi-tech injectors it may claim to be using or eco- mode or shift indicators. High torque may aid a bit in FE but no way it can go to 24kmpl even on a 2wd MT version in real life scenario. But going by the reports in Australia and Europe where same engine is used, it appears that 2wd MT trims are having good FE figures almost to the tune of 18.18 kmpl on highways (5.5 ltr per 100 kmpl).
So I am expecting that with few tweeks Hyundai may have managed FE of around 20kmpl when testing for ARAI and this figure is possible only for a 2wd MT. 20+ FE could be a gimmick too.

The current 4wd AT trim has FE of around 11.5 kmpl which may improve to 14 kmpl in the new Santa Fe. In the meantime someone among the early enthusiasts sheepishly mentioned among their acquaintances that dealer cannot issue invoice on the indicated rates and will have to wait till 6th Feb for final figures and the prices may be tweeked a bit here and there.
On the positive side to compensate for a higher price expected on a 4wd AT trim, they may seriously consider a Sunrooof and GPS . I would definitely suggest Hyundai people to seriously consider these two features- one for the bling & kids and other for the driver - feel good factor as well as real utility. May be this is the reason they are themselves confused till now and not sure what to do and so gag orders to dealers too. Wondering if gps and sunroof could be a deal breaker for any prospective customer. Requesting any insider to share some concrete info, please or may be Mods come to rescue in this suspense drama.

Last edited by shatrughna : 3rd February 2014 at 22:56.
Old 4th February 2014, 13:25   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Motortrend has snapped the Santa Fe both inside and outside ahead of it's Auto Expo debut.

Name:  hyundai_sanat_fe_2.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  144.3 KB

Name:  hyundai_santa_fe_3.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  145.6 KB

Name:  hyundai_santa_fe_interior1.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  171.1 KB

Name:  hyundai_santa_fe_centreconsole1.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  175.1 KB

SOURCE - http://www.motortrend.in/autonews/29...v-in-india.htm
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 07:58   #163
BHPian

A full page ad on the last page of TOI Mumbai edition today talks nothing of gps or sunroof. Mentions that it may be checked at any dealership nearby. Anyone visiting?
Old 5th February 2014, 09:53   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Launched at Auto Expo

The Santa Fe will be produced in India at the company’s Chennai plant, and prices are Rs 26.3 lakh for the 2WD Manual, Rs 27.33 lakh for the 2WD Auto and Rs 29.25 lakh for the 4WD Auto (all prices, ex-showroom, Delhi).
volkman10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 10:38   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
A full page ad on the last page of TOI Mumbai edition today talks nothing of gps or sunroof. Mentions that it may be checked at any dealership nearby. Anyone visiting?
The only thing that caught my eye is 197PS and few technical terms VSM,ESC,DBS and HAC

Quote:
Launched at Auto Expo

The Santa Fe will be produced in India at the company’s Chennai plant, and prices are Rs 26.3 lakh for the 2WD Manual, Rs 27.33 lakh for the 2WD Auto and Rs 29.25 lakh for the 4WD Auto (all prices, ex-showroom, Delhi).
The pricing is way off the mark IMHO. They should have priced it slightly lower than Fortuner and jacked em up at a later stage.

Last edited by F150 : 5th February 2014 at 10:39.
Closed Thread