Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th February 2014, 11:48   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Link to review of the Korean SUV by ODI:

http://overdrive.in/news/2014-hyunda...a-first-drive/

High price of the vehicle is the only fly in soup as per all reviewers (for the same price one can have Audi Q3), &...

Quote:
if you weren’t looking for badge value there is hardly anything in this segment that offers you the luxuriousness, styling, ride, handling and performance that the Santa Fe has to offer.
Old 12th February 2014, 23:27   #197
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Generally the Indian reviews also look positive. I'm looking forward to the team-bhp review (I hope it'll be there sometime soon enough).

Anyway, I booked mine in grey (AWD AT) today. Hope to get it early next month.
entropy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 00:08   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Generally the Indian reviews also look positive. I'm looking forward to the team-bhp review (I hope it'll be there sometime soon enough).

Anyway, I booked mine in grey (AWD AT) today. Hope to get it early next month.
Congratulations ! I am sure it is worth the price they have quoted considering the fact that you are a repeat customer for it. Eagerly waiting for official review.
shatrughna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 15:01   #199
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Our review should be up in <2 weeks.

Personally, I think the Santa Fe is worth the 4 lakh premium over the Fortuner. Reasons:

Nicer ride quality (Fortuner is bumpy to the point of being uncomfortable)
6-speed AT (Fortuner has only 4-Speed)
Significantly more power & torque
6 Airbags (Fortuner has merely 2)
Electronic safety package (ESP, TCS) has wider scope than that of the Fortuner
Disc brakes at the rear too (and overall superior braking to the Fortuner)
18" wheels (thinner tyres though)
Far more luxurious interior (Fortuner = Innova inspiration)
Tilt & reach steering (Fortuner only gives tilt adjustment!!!)
Dual zone climate control
12-way driver's seat adjustment (electric)
Cornering lamps
Hill-start assist & downhill brake control
Keyless entry & go (engine start / stop button)
Adjustable power steering assistance (light, firm)
Button-folding 2nd row seat
Cooled glovebox
Rear curtains
Etc.

The Fortuner is a bullet-proof truck. The Santa Fe is a luxurious SUV.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 15:07   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Personally, I think the Santa Fe is worth the 4 lakh premium over the Fortuner. Reasons:

The Fortuner now comes with a 5 Speed AT in 2WD Option. It was originally launched with a 4 speed AT, but sometime during 2013 they introduced the 5 Speed AT. Another key point is, in the Fortuner AT is available only in 2WD option, where as in Santa Fe AT is available in 4WD option as well.

Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.-tfort.jpg

Regards,

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th February 2014 at 08:10. Reason: Please do not use acronyms to name cars. TFort - Toyota Fortuner
h@r$h@l is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 15:10   #201
bhp
BHPian

Quote:

Just would like to point, Fortuner now has a 5 speed AT Gearbox.
Old 13th February 2014, 19:36   #202
BHPian

Quote:

Cornering lamps
Cooled glovebox
Rear curtains
Etc.

Completely Agree!! The heatburn is even greater as Santa Fe comes loaded completely vis-a-vis Fortuner.
The on-road price delta is 7 Lakh, which pushes Santa Fe to BMW/ Audi territory and thus creates a doubt in the buyer's mind.
I ended up booking a Fortuner though would have preferred Santa Fe, were it 2-3 L lesser.
Old 14th February 2014, 21:32   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiteshs77 View Post
Completely Agree!! The heatburn is even greater as Santa Fe comes loaded completely vis-a-vis Fortuner.
The on-road price delta is 7 Lakh, which pushes Santa Fe to BMW/ Audi territory and thus creates a doubt in the buyer's mind.
I ended up booking a Fortuner though would have preferred Santa Fe, were it 2-3 L lesser.

True. Even I am going ahead to book the Fortuner soon. Santa Fe is 4.5 L more than the T Fort & is that amount justified is the big question. [Comparing 4x2 MT Fortuner (25.06 L) & 4x2 MT Santa Fe(29.55 L)] From what I read recently in one of the threads San Fe At 4x4 would cost nearly (+1-2L) the same as an Pre facelift 520d / A6 on road (after discounts of course) . Don't know whether it makes a lot of sense comparing two totally different segments but still those badges do make their point for me personally making the Hyundai seem very expensive.

P.S. Hope I'm not sharing this video again

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 14th February 2014 at 21:34.
beanstalk_230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 13:43   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
I do understand that the price is a little bit higher but why is everyone. comparing it with fortuner?
The Santafe is not in fortuner class.
I don't understand the how santafe can be compared to fortuner in any way..
I have used both santafe and fortuner and there is no comparison at all

While I understand the Santa FE is a full blown SUV and the Fortuner a pick-up truck with an SUV body, fact of the matter is that a person looking for a full size SUV is sure to compare the two while making a purchase.

Plus we must not forget the rock solid build quality and reliablity of Toyota which is a big factor for most car buyers in India. Look at any hyundai product 7 - 8 years down the line and its riddled with minor problems and rattles and squeaks. Whereas the toyotas just keep going on and on. To compete with that Hyundai should have priced this product very aggressively. Sadly they have killed it with this over the top pricing.
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 16:02   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
While I understand the Santa FE is a full blown SUV and the Fortuner a pick-up truck with an SUV body, fact of the matter is that a person looking for a full size SUV is sure to compare the two while making a purchase.

Plus we must not forget the rock solid build quality and reliablity of Toyota which is a big factor for most car buyers in India. Look at any hyundai product 7 - 8 years down the line and its riddled with minor problems and rattles and squeaks. Whereas the toyotas just keep going on and on. To compete with that Hyundai should have priced this product very aggressively. Sadly they have killed it with this over the top pricing.
would you compare a Tata manza with a corolla or an Elantra just because all these vehicles are sedans? Just because Toyota does not have any other SUV other than fortuner in India at the moment does not validate comparing a fortuner to Santafe. Toyota should have launched Prado in India and then comparison would have been fair.
Old 19th February 2014, 17:04   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Look at any hyundai product 7 - 8 years down the line and its riddled with minor problems and rattles and squeaks. To compete with that Hyundai should have priced this product very aggressively. Sadly they have killed it with this over the top pricing.
As an owner both manufacturer's vehicles, and having owned many different products from both over many years, I would wholeheartedly agree on this point. Only with the cola- can Etios have Toyota got it all wrong.

But if you ask me if the Fortuner is value for money, I would undoubtedly say "no". It is over- priced by at least 25%, IMO. But since other manufacturers benchmark their offerings in the segment against the Fortuner and prices them accordingly, the same could be said of most of the competition too.

The Santa Fe might be a poor man's Mercedes ML or whatever, but at 29L + the sadistic taxes that most states charge as road tax nowadays is simply not worth it.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 17:13   #207
BHPian

It seems the Santa Fe would get a price cut of about 1,35,300/- on its ex-showroom price. I suppose, this would be ex-showroom Mumbai or Delhi.
Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.-screenshot-20140219-17.11.25.png
Old 19th February 2014, 18:04   #208
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Toyota should have launched Prado in India and then comparison would have been fair.
Prado is already launched in India at an astronomical price of Rs 85 lakh!!
Audi Q7 & Merc GL would be cheaper to buy than the Prado.
Old 19th February 2014, 18:15   #209
BHPian

Quote:

Cornering lamps
Cooled glovebox
Rear curtains
Etc.

though what you say is true - but Santa Fe is Korean where as Fortuner is Japanese. And no matter what - it is slightly difficult to justify a korean to be more expensive than a Jap only because it has more features

to put it simply - would one buy a micromax over an iPhone only because it has more features AND most importantly IF the micromax is more expensive than the iPhone by good 20-25% ??

but going by the current way the market is pulling - i wouldn't be surprised if the santa fe is an instant hit as the fortuner now feels dated and not many people would accept a q3 anything more than a bigger hatchback. there is a vacuum for a good luxurious SUV between the fortuner and q5

Last edited by samyakmodi : 19th February 2014 at 18:18.
Old 19th February 2014, 18:20   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
to put it simply - would one buy a micromax over an iPhone only because it has more features AND most importantly IF the micromax is more expensive than the iPhone by good 20-25% ??
How does Micromax and Apple figure on same comparison? They are nowhere close.

Why not try comparing Apple with Samsung? People buy the Samsung which has far more features than the iPhone and is slightly more expensive for a couple of the models.

Micromax and Apple is like comparing BMW X5 with Mahindra XUV500.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread