Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your preferred general car service
Dealership/OEM 17 58.62%
Local workshop 7 24.14%
Known/experienced mechanic at home 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd December 2010, 13:10   #61
BHPian

Default re: Authorised Service Centre Or Independent Garage, What do you prefer?

@Indrojitsircar, sirji where is your garage? Delhi (where exactly?) or Kolkata hobe?

As said above by someone that cars are getting complex by each day.
For engine work its always recommended to go to ASC (given its not for of MUL as they are worse that roadside scooter mechanics, I had a bad experience, all they believe in is replacement of parts). or there are independent garages like Patel, Pandit, autopsyche (tried & trusted by our senior Bhpians, taking example of delhi) and could me more.
For other jobs one can either find a good mechanic through reference or take my words its a hit and trial work. Prefer buying and giving the sparse to mechanic urself.

One satisfaction ASCs (given its a decent with a good repute) give is the cleanliness inside and your car is saved from the roadside dirt and dust.
Honda Monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Authorised Service Centre Or Independent Garage, What do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
I would recommend Bosch Service Centre on the outer ring road in banashankari, IMHO they do a good job! and reasonably priced too
Do they service all cars? Do they work on specific jobs like suspension, clutch etc. or they can service the car for any problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by battada View Post
I would recommend carnation (initiative by Jagadish Kattar). They have a real good workshop and large garage. I get my NHC serviced there regularly at almost half the price of the authorised folks. BTW, this is an all India initiative and they have 2 such workshops in Bangalore
Where are those in Bangalore?

Also, one doubt about these independant garage. If you happen to own a car that has been out of production for a while (eg. Corsa for 4 years now), how likely is it that these guys would have original spares?
Isn't that a point to consider?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:03   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Do they service all cars? Do they work on specific jobs like suspension, clutch etc. or they can service the car for any problem?

Where are those in Bangalore?

Also, one doubt about these independant garage. If you happen to own a car that has been out of production for a while (eg. Corsa for 4 years now), how likely is it that these guys would have original spares?
Isn't that a point to consider?
The only Bosch service center I visited was close to Bangalore Central in Jaynagar for changing the discs and brake pads. There are a few others spread across Bangalore.

Carnation hubs are located one at Marathalli and the other, off Bannerghatta Road close to Mantri Elite. Franky I came out of Carnation with a good feeling. This is most advanced setup I have come across outside of the showroom guys. But I somehow feel that they are O.K. with Honda, may not be true for GM, Fiat etc.

Can't say the same thing about Bosch. It feels like the same friendly neighborhood garage

Yes they do work on specific issues. I had changed my suspension lower arms recently. I have seen a couple of Corsas in there, but not sure if they would have the parts. They claim to have tie up with all the OEM suppliers.

Like everyone said, if you car is fairly new and the problem is complex, I'd advise you to stick to the authorised guys for some time. Mine is a 7 year old..so it doesnt make sense for me to get ripped in a authorised service center. But do visit these guys and evaluate.. they have some offers running it seems.
battada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:50   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
AFAIK, They do service all cars, I've seen daweoo matiz, skoda octavias, sumos out there
and as far as specific problems are concerned, im sure they can, i got my muffler assembly for an OHC from there, it was around 3k change including labour which i THINK is a reasonable price

Last edited by aah78 : 24th December 2010 at 00:29. Reason: Quote fixed.
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 01:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Authorised Service Centre Or Independent Garage, What do you prefer?

I would any day prefer authorised service over and above an independant garage. But I am not saying here that independant garages are not good. Several of my cars have been serviced at ID garages.

The main reason i 'prefer' A.S.S over ID, is because there is a bit of reassurance when it is given to them. Especially when it comes to routine service. For all other general purpose, i dont mind going to an ID center.

Further, another important reason for going to an A.S.S, is that a proper service record can be maintained (an official one that is)
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 09:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Authorised Service Centre Or Independent Garage, What do you prefer?

I have been advised by Ford guys that i need to have the Damper belt and drive belt changed asap. However they are asking for a 15-17K for the job. Now i am confused wheather i should go to a local station and have it fixed if they charge me less or go with the Ford station? What do you guys suggest?
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 19:56   #67
BHPian

^^ first get a second opinion from a different ford A.S.S,
Secondly,compare the prices of parts with the quote given to you by the Ford A.S.S with local vendors, If there is a substantial difference and you trust the independent garage, only then go ahead with it, otherwise stick to the A.S.S
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 00:53   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend carnation (initiative by Jagadish Kattar). They have a real good workshop and large garage. I get my NHC serviced there regularly at almost half the price of the authorised folks. BTW, this is an all India initiative and they have 2 such workshops in Bangalore
can you list some of the specific jobs that carnation has done for you? just trying to get a feel of whether they were routine jobs or a little more complex - washing and oil change are hardly to be considered

which place are you going to? the marathahalli one looks alright from the outside (it's on my way to work) and from the pics in the website.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 12:58   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
can you list some of the specific jobs that carnation has done for you? just trying to get a feel of whether they were routine jobs or a little more complex - washing and oil change are hardly to be considered

which place are you going to? the marathahalli one looks alright from the outside (it's on my way to work) and from the pics in the website.
The only complex job (dare i call it complex?) I have got done so far is the suspension lower arm change. Rest are regular services, so far so good. The others are just regular oil change type.

The BG road hub's approach road is horrible but the setup and inside is pretty satisfactory.

Last edited by battada : 7th January 2011 at 13:12.
battada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 21:39   #70
Max
BHPian

I get my car serviced through local garage and they usually do fine job for me servicing my 2nd generation city. however now i have moved to another area and i have not tried any local garage here in thane.

I also need to get suspension work done they are become tough. Just spoke to hall mark honda guys in thane about suspension overhaul and they recommend following prices for new suspensions

1) Front suspensions (each side 5k) 10k + 1k labor = 11k
2) rear suspensions (each side 3.5k) 7k + 1k labor = 8k
3) front lower arm suspension (4.25k each) = 9.5k + 1k labor = 11.5k
4) clutch overhaul 10k without flywheel and with flywheel about 18k to 20k.

service adviser told me, if i show them car they can give me exact estimate. what you guys think, shall go with honda or get it done from outside.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 17:16   #71
BHPian

Hi,

Could you tell me how much you paid for the suspension lower arm change job. I recently took my honda city to Dakshin Honda Hosur road and they have quoted 7K for the job.

Quote:
The only complex job (dare i call it complex?) I have got done so far is the suspension lower arm change. Rest are regular services, so far so good. The others are just regular oil change type.

The BG road hub's approach road is horrible but the setup and inside is pretty satisfactory.
dhir_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 15:59   #72
BHPian

Default Your experience with the dealers: paid service v/s free service?

Reason why i wanted to discuss this topic is based on my recent experience with MASS in Yelahanka, BLR.

When i sent my car for free service, the customer experience that i got was awesome ... no concerns as such; But when i sent my car for the 40k paid service, i noticed the following differences:

- i had claimed insurance to get some paint work done in the past and never had to go to fill any claim form when i gave it for free service, but this time, they asked me to visit their office.
- people at the customer service desk seemed really indifferent and not interested in helping me out with the process.
- i recall that one person (don't remember the name) was outright rude and even said that i cannot claim for insurance considering that just the paint had scraped off form the bumper and there we no substantial damage.
- it took them three days to get the insurance guy (from Iffco Tokio) to finish the survey of the damage. And meanwhile, i was not even kept informed about why the delay was happening. I remember that when i gave my car for servicing under free category, i was promptly kept updated on the unavailability of the bumper and some spares.
- overall, it took me 1.5 hours to complete the formalities, which was nothing more than filling a form and handing it over to the concerned person.
- also, instead of the just the repaint, they were insisting on getting the bumper replaced, though there was no damage other than the paint part.
- i believe that there is a standard check/change that is done at 40k (6th service) but instead of going ahead with the servicing, they kept on checking (calling) on every single thing; Now for some people, this might be a good thing, but it was really annoying for me.

I will update the group on the final quality of work once i get the car back. But last time, which was also a paid service (regular), i did notice that the steering wheel was not aligned properly after the alignment, cleaning was improper and when complained about it, was not taken care of. I had ignored it considering it as one odd instance but now i am getting inclined towards relating it to the current experience.

Has anyone found any difference as well, between the experience of getting the vehicle fixed under paid service v/s free service duration?

Last edited by somubj : 30th November 2011 at 16:00. Reason: sp errors
somubj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 19:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

Since the time we've had our first car in family in '96, we sworn by A.S.S. In Pune, we have literally travelled 20kms on way even for something as small as a bulb change.

I currently drive an Opel Corsa in Bangalore. I just had the 40k servicing done at Sundaram Motors, Bangalore in Sept. There was some play in the clutch release bearing but the SA himself assured me that it would hold good for around 7-8k kms.

Last week, I visited an independant garage to fix a loose sump guard. I had a good experience there so considered sending my car there for the next servicing. Unfortunately, a few days later the clutch suddenly became hard and I took it to that place. The much anticipated clutch replacement was decided.

Now, Sundaram is closing shop so I wasn't sure of getting something as major as clutch change done in their final moments as there'll be no one to go back too in case the job resulted in any issues. And none of the other Chevy dealerships are inspiring. So, I decided to get it done at the garage.

Now, clutch was changed and I went to collect the car. The clutch was still hard and the owner assured me that it is so because the clutch is new. Now, there was another issue. After depressing the clutch, the moment I let it go, there was a distinct "tak" sound that was coming. No one could figure out why. Over the day, the clutch was opened again and the owner just called to mention that the sound was coming even after another set of clutch was installed. So, now he'll install the old clutch to check the sound. Else, we are staring at a big blank wall.

I don't want to name the garage just yet as I hope the problem will eventually be figured out but this experience has bit me hard in my rear.

No one in my family has ever been comfortable giving our vehicles to independant garages and the one time we decided to give it a shot, we aren't happy.

The advantages of getting your car serviced at A.S.S. :

1) Guaranteed OEM spares
2) Accountability on the jobs performed : you can always go back and question them over the jobs they've performed. There's always the option of escalating it to higher management/manufacturer. It may not lead to successful resolution all the time but you have this assurance.
3) Support after servicing : A.S.S. remains responsible for the jobs they've performed.
4) No one can deny warranty for any reason if everything is done at A.S.S.
5) When you go to a garage, you need to trust the mechanics completely as it's between you and them; at A.S.S., the company and manufacturer stands alongside. Again, not always fruitful but you have that assurance.

I'd rather pay extra and get my cars serviced at A.S.S.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 20:36   #74
BHPian

Smile Re: Authorised Service Centre Or Independent Garage, What do you prefer?

*** any day and 90 % of maruti *** are good. Most independent garages have not even read the vast service manuals of the car and so most times its trial and error on cars . With small cars its ok but big cars costiler spares and more errors than success then entire part replace instead of repair and lower quality or spurious spares for higher profit margins and end cost low to make customer come back for more thinking price is less .*** any day for upto 5 yr car .More than 7yr maybe good independent mechanic u can completely trust .
anky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 23:19   #75

Default Auto part options? West vs. East

I was having a chat with my cousin who lives in Delhi and he owns a 2007 Honda Civic, which to me looks like an NA Acura CSX. Here’s what I normally do and in that order of preference:
·Being in Toronto, I buy my own spare parts from a retailer (sometimes from US), take them to a regular mechanic and get them installed.
·If my mechanic offers a genuine part for a decent price, I purchase and install from him directly.
·Getting the repair/service done at the dealer is another but pricey option (parts may not be priced similar but hourly labor rates vary from $60-$100/hour vs. $40/hour at a regular mechanic).

Now the question I have is that, what are his options in terms of buying auto parts and regular maintenance? I suggested the same method which I use but he said that genuine aftermarket parts are not readily available. Some other questions I had: Where do you guys normally get the service/parts from? Is it primarily done at the dealer or a decent repair shop? Any DIY'ers?
And finally I wonder if I could source parts for him if the Honda cars in India use the same parts as USDM/JDM cars considering the duties/taxes. Is it viable?

Mods: If this is not the right section, please move thread as needed.

BTW, I'll post some pics from Toronto Auto Show soon. Zonda F and Veyron were at a touchable distance

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th February 2012 at 23:23. Reason: Removed extra font tags, please avoid copy pasting from external editor like MS Word etc, thanks
cooldeol is offline   Reply With Quote