View Poll Results: Your preferred general car service
Dealership/OEM 17 58.62%
Local workshop 7 24.14%
Known/experienced mechanic at home 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th July 2016, 16:12   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Authorised Service Centre or Independent Garage

Renewing an old thread. I have recently switched to an independent garage simply because it is very close to my home and I can walk up to the garage anytime I want.
But there are a couple of concerns, which I hope some experts might provide.

1. I got my Honda Brio serviced at an independent garage. Now Honda does not sell consumables over the counter, so if you want an oil change which needs filter replacements, you might have to schedule an 'appointment' then hand over the car and get ready for additional unwanted rip-offs.
How do these independent garages manage to procure these parts ?

2. I saw the ASC Honda oil filter replaced is manufactured by MAHLE. But the local garage got one made by 'LUMAX'. Same is the case for Air Filter. There is no 'Honda' written anywhere on the part.
Are these parts reliable ?

3. Isn't this injustice to not sell consumables over the counter ? things like Air Filter change, Oil filter change can be done by the owner himself, why give the car to the Service center and waste the whole day ?
NiInJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 17:03   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Authorised Service Centre or Independent Garage

There are multiple quality manufacturers of these consumables. My local car parts dealer stock these consumables. I think most Hondas take the same oil filter. Air filter, needed rarely and again available off the shelf or to order in three days.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 22:32   #108
BHPian

Default Skoda Octavia Body work dilemma - dealer vs independent workshop

My 2 1/2 year old Skoda Octavia was side swiped by a 3 wheeler transport vehicle a few days ago. There is a major dent on the passenger side front fender and the adjacent bumper. The fender has wrapped around and dug into the headlight assembly- though the light itself is okay and there is no crack visible on it. The driver of the 3 wheeler had no license, no insurance and the RC had run out in 2015- but that is another story!

The Skoda workshop has given me an estimate of around 40K and want about 10-12 days time. The option of using my insurance is there though I stand to loose my 50% NCB!
Couple of independent body shop people have quoted about 15k for the repairs. They want 3 days and one has even offered a loaner car for the duration.

My dilemma is what to choose: company workshop repair with or without insurance claim or the independent repair shop. My worry about the independent guys is that I still have a year and a half of extended warranty on the car. Will I be refused my warranty cover for future repairs say of the head lamp unit or something similar that might be tied up to the repairs the independent body shop carried out?

The NCB loss may not seem much now as the car is older. However, it might allow,for a significant saving for a car upgrade that I may go in for a couple of years down then line.

Any pointer/ advice?

Last edited by docsr : 7th August 2016 at 22:34. Reason: Typo correction
docsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 22:38   #109
BHPian

Default re: Skoda Octavia Body work dilemma - dealer vs independent workshop

IMO independent garage is a no brainer. As long as you don't mess up with mechanical or electrical parts, ASS wouldn't bother.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 08:03   #110
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Octavia Body work dilemma - dealer vs independent workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
The Skoda workshop has given me an estimate of around 40K and want about 10-12 days time. The option of using my insurance is there though I stand to loose my 50% NCB!
Couple of independent body shop people have quoted about 15k for the repairs. They want 3 days and one has even offered a loaner car for the duration.
You don't have a 0-dep, do you?

How much NCB do you stand to lose? Also, of the 40k, how much would your share be?

Loaner car by a independent body shop? That's new. Good thing as long as it is not some other customer's car.

The main issue with going through a non-A.S.S. garage is ensuring the paint matches, you'd need to make sure it doesn't vary.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 09:18   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My 2 1/2 year old Skoda Octavia was side swiped by a 3 wheeler transport vehicle a few days ago. There is a major dent on the passenger side front fender and the adjacent bumper. The fender has wrapped around and dug into the headlight assembly- though the light itself is okay and there is no crack visible on it. The driver of the 3 wheeler had no license, no insurance and the RC had run out in 2015- but that is another story!

My dilemma is what to choose: company workshop repair with or without insurance claim or the independent repair shop. My worry about the independent guys is that I still have a year and a half of extended warranty on the car. Will I be refused my warranty cover for future repairs say of the head lamp unit or something similar that might be tied up to the repairs the independent body shop carried out?

The NCB loss may not seem much now as the car is older. However, it might allow,for a significant saving for a car upgrade that I may go in for a couple of years down then line.

Any pointer/ advice?
It depends on which independent workshops you are talking about. I assume by your profile that you atay in Bengaluru.
So, if it is Trend Automobiles or Sai colorium, I would suggest you go ahead with them.
With these two workshops, I have seen the workmanship on many of my friends' and colleagues' cars and you need not worry about shade mismatch.
They do a very good job with the painting and shade matching.
Only thing I would suggest with these two workshops is that you need to take your car for a through wash after you get it back.

Also since you are not talking about replacement of any parts, its an easy decision if you ask me.
If the headlamp assembly really needs to be replaced, you can get it from the Skoda dealership itself and get it fixed.
The warranty will not be hampered.

When you have plans to buy a new car, the 50%NCB is worth more than 15K.
If it was me, I wouldn't go tot he dealership for such a thing.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 8th August 2016 at 09:21.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 09:22   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

:
If it had been a simple swipe, I would have go outside the dealer to Sai. Vinayak Skoda bodyshop did an excellent job on my car sometime back. You need to examine the light and see if there is damage to the unit
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 09:25   #113
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, you need to see if any of the mounting brackets of the light are broken. It may not look like that from the outside, but it can happen in such incidents.

Secondly, if the independent workshop has a paint booth, they will most probably give you a finish as good as the dealer.

There is no question of warranty being denied later on for getting a vehicle painted outside.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 10:34   #114
Senior - BHPian

I have used Sai Colorium and A.S.S. - 2 separate occasions - for tinkering & painting for my old car, which was a "special" shade (not the standard white/silver/grey/black/etc).

Sai actually matched the colour shade better than A.S.S.

If there is no mechanical damage to any part, then I would go with either Sai or Trend. Also, if they are quoting anything like 15K-20K, I would not hesitate in paying cash out of pocket either. No need for insurance claim.

By the way, hope you managed to get the goods auto guy to pay you? Last time I visited Sai Colorium, a 3-wheeler goods vehicle had backed into my stationary car at some speed, and I got him to pay me 50% for the tinkering/painting job.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 11:43   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Will I be refused my warranty cover for future repairs say of the head lamp unit or something similar that might be tied up to the repairs the independent body shop carried out?
Yes, warrranty can be refused on any item that can be directly or indirectly connected to this repair.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 8th August 2016 at 12:00.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 12:07   #116
BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs . I have the Skoda Drive Assure Economy add-on which includes depreciation "shield ".
Yes, I am in Bangalore and have shown the vehicle to Trendz. Car was seen by Satish in Trendz and he was confident that the result would match the Skoda's Service centre.
docsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 14:12   #117
Senior - BHPian

Default Why not to maintain old cars through authorized chains

I own two cars. They are both a regular commuter vehicle sold in huge numbers worldwide.

A mitsubishi Lancer petrol with 146000 on the odo. The car was discontinued in 2012.

A Honda Jazz petrol with 96000 on the odo. The car was discontinued in 2013. The new jazz still has the same powertrain fortunately and that helps matters a lot.

I have been a satisfied customer for Both Honda and Mitsubishi Authorized dealers as long as the cars were in production. The story is not the same since these cars were discontinued.

These are the problems I have faced trying to stick with Company Authorized Service centers.

1. Delay in parts: With increase in the model range, Dealers stop stocking parts of discontinued cars. A power window switch for Honda Jazz ordered before two weeks is yet to arrive. An Air Filter element for Mitsubishi is facing a similar fate.

2. Price of parts: The power window switch in question was quoted at around 5000/-. The Air filter in question was quoted around 2000/-.

3. Delay in getting the car: Here is where Honda does shine. My Jazz given for regular service and little tidbits took 3 days to be returned. The lancer fared badly and took 9 days before the car was returned.

4. Waste of time: I had to visit Honda twice before the car work was finished. It's no surprise that HM-Mitsubishi service center made me visit them FIVE times. The frustration was enough for me to want to sell the car.

5. Lack of training to technicians: With the cars being discontinued, the training also stops at the Company. Additionally, these technicians after a couple of years jump for a better hike, promotion. There is a rare chance that the technician working on that car has the slightest idea or training to handle our cars. I have found various nuts, bolts and rivets broken at places. The cars need extreme supervision and checks to make sure everything is screwed back right and tight.

5. Lack of interest. : A normal Honda city and new jazz take less time to be serviced and repaired. Old cars take up space for longer. For mitsubishi, pajeros and monteros are billed at 40-50K for a single visit. A lancer is a meager 4-5K.

I remember reading a long time ago about a law where a manufacturer needs to supply parts for seven years after the model is discontinued(IS this true?). In this day and age, the cars mentioned here are mostly mechanical in nature and easy to maintain but do not make economic and timely sense for the service centers.

Some might suggest going to a local mechanic. I have tried. While most lack the talent, a couple are good but finding them is an exercise in itself.

Ultimately it boils down to this. We need to stop getting the cars serviced at the Authorized service centers, find a good mechanic and find a parts source (which again requires manuals and booklets and basic knowledge). How many of us are putting enough time and efforts into this? Or, do you just sell your car once it becomes time consuming and costly to maintain?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 29th November 2016 at 14:15.
devarshi84 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 15:35   #118
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Why not to maintain old cars through authorized chains

There are 4 rules that you can follow to avoid getting into such situations.
  • Choose brands which are known to take ownership of their products whether new or old. This can be country specific as well. The good brands that come to my mind in India when I say this are Maruti, Toyota and Hyundai. There might be other good brands as well. But, Honda is not one among them since, I have seen even Amaze accident repair getting delayed due to lack of spare parts. And with the Dolphin City, sometimes it can take months to get parts, if you are unlucky!
  • If it's a new model ( not facelifts ), you are comparatively safe because it will be in the market for atleast 5-6 years.
  • Selecting a car that sells in huge volumes also helps because the manufacturers have an incentive in supplying the parts even after the product EOL.
  • For cars which have completely imported parts or for which the localization is very low, you will find more difficulty. Example for completely imported parts - Toyota Landcruiser. Example for a car with very low localization - the old Maruti Baleno which contained a lot of SGA ( Suzuki Genuine Accessories imported from other countries )

Last edited by amalji : 29th November 2016 at 15:39.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 15:48   #119
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Why not to maintain old cars through authorized chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
1. Delay in parts: With increase in the model range, Dealers stop stocking parts of discontinued cars. A power window switch for Honda Jazz ordered before two weeks is yet to arrive. An Air Filter element for Mitsubishi is facing a similar fate.
Your basic problem, as I understand it, is sourcing OEM parts. Correct?

Since Honda does not sell OEM parts/spares over-the-counter as does Hyundai, Tata, Maruti and others, an independent garage, will have a similar issues sourcing parts, as will an A.S.S.

Of course, some might know stockists that will have the part necessary but then comes in the trust factor: would you trust the FNG to get an OEM replacement and be competent enough to do the replacement.

Quote:
2. Price of parts: The power window switch in question was quoted at around 5000/-. The Air filter in question was quoted around 2000/-.
The cost of the part will remain the same, whether at FNG or A.S.S. You'll save a bunch on the labor though.

Quote:
Ultimately it boils down to this. We need to stop getting the cars serviced at the Authorized service centers, find a good mechanic and find a parts source (which again requires manuals and booklets and basic knowledge). How many of us are putting enough time and efforts into this? Or, do you just sell your car once it becomes time consuming and costly to maintain?
Considering your cars' ages, it could be a good idea to get them serviced at FNGs, provided you trust them. But that is for reasons, more financial and peace of mind.

Quote:
I remember reading a long time ago about a law where a manufacturer needs to supply parts for seven years after the model is discontinued(IS this true?).
It is for ten years.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 11:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Why not to maintain old cars through authorized chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
  • Choose brands which are known to take ownership of their products whether new or old. This can be country specific as well. The good brands that come to my mind in India when I say this are Maruti, Toyota and Hyundai.
  • If it's a new model ( not facelifts ), you are comparatively safe because it will be in the market for atleast 5-6 years.
I have even seen old Toyota Corollas and maruti Esteems face similar fate.

Even with freshly launched cars on newer platforms, the issue comes up when a facelift is launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Your basic problem, as I understand it, is sourcing OEM parts. Correct?
I have learnt to source OEM parts. The issue is to find a way to make sure that we can own the car for a longer term.

Cars were never meant to be replaced every 5-7 years. Looking at the vintage and classic car scene in US and Europe makes India look like a non-enthusiast country.

The problem is that even today many major car manufacturers do not allow Over the counter sales through dealerships. Even if they do the prices are three to four times higher once the model is discontinued.

And I still wonder how that affects the skill set of the technicians. Isn't it easier to service/repair and old car if one is trained to work with cars on newer platforms?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 30th November 2016 at 11:48.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote