Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th March 2013, 17:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts

Can anyone post comparative pics of the old and new hoses. Would like to know why the hose fails ?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 18:34   #32
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Can anyone post comparative pics of the old and new hoses. Would like to know why the hose fails ?

Spike
The pic of the new hose is on the previous page (sourced from Debuda's thread). Although there is no pic of the old one, my guess is that it would look exactly the same. My RM told me that the design-change done to the hose was limited to using a different grade of rubber used so that it can better withstand the high-pressure oil flowing through it.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 18:48   #33
BHPian

Way to go Mahindra. My October 2012 manufactured XUV 500 W8 is not included in the service list.
Gocool2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 19:04   #34
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
10-Nov-2012: debuda's confirmation that Oct'2012 manufactured XUVs have the new-design PS high-pressure hose:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2958977
Summarizing:
.... The new-design PS high pressure 'fluid hose' seems to have got incorporated into the production from Oct'2012 onwards. Even after that for 5 whole months, a significant population of owners would have been blissfully unaware about the potential safety hazard due to PS failure. What took Mahindras so long to communicate the problem and fix it proactively?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocool2007 View Post
Way to go Mahindra. My October 2012 manufactured XUV 500 W8 is not included in the service list.
Thanks Gocool2007!

That's another confirmation that batches manufactured from Oct'2012 onwards have the latest design part right from assembly-line.

The question remains: What took Mahindras so long to communicate the problem and fix it proactively?

Last edited by SDP : 11th March 2013 at 19:10.
Old 11th March 2013, 21:02   #35
BHPian

Guys got a letter from M&M to bring Xuv @ workshop before June 2013.
Tushargohil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 21:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Guys got a letter from M&M to bring Xuv @ workshop before June 2013.
June 2013, thats interesting. I got a call today and lady said that since they need to report back to management asap hence i need to bring my XUV within 10 days. Any ways will take it station only on weekend.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 23:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The question remains: What took Mahindras so long to communicate the problem and fix it proactively?
May be some customer would have complained about some issue pertaining to these faulty parts or may be their in house R&D would have sent a signal to the management saying that there would be a problem with them so it better to replace them.

Better late than never Mahindra at least brought the issue out to the public rather than being silent and cheat the customers. It does give them a high in the eyes of the customers that they are honest! Happy for M&M for being ready to accept the mistake and get things repaired FOC!

Welcome to the Recall world M&M!

Cheers,
Anurag!
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 21:40   #38
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
May be some customer would have complained about some issue pertaining to these faulty parts or may be their in house R&D would have sent a signal to the management saying that there would be a problem with them so it better to replace them.

Better late than never Mahindra at least brought the issue out to the public rather than being silent and cheat the customers. It does give them a high in the eyes of the customers that they are honest! Happy for M&M for being ready to accept the mistake and get things repaired FOC!

Welcome to the Recall world M&M!

Cheers,
Anurag!
Anurag, let me rephrase the question(s):
1. Why did it take ~7 months (Mar-Oct'2012) from the problem identification to redesign and finally resolution applied in production?

2. For a relatively simple part like a rubber-hose with metal end-caps, why did it take ~5 months (Oct'2012-Mar'2013) to manufacture ~30,000 parts (assuming one part for each XUV on road before Oct'2012) and then issue the recall?

I DO appreciate Mahindras issuing the recall. It IS a very bold and mature move. All I am complaining about is the time taken by them to do it.

Last edited by SDP : 12th March 2013 at 21:41.
Old 12th March 2013, 22:22   #39
BHPian

Dumb question..

Will this affect people who are planning to buy xuv500?

This might be the tric mahindra is playing as they have increased their production capacity & there is already a decline in sales since dec jan for this car due to various problems reported.
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 08:26   #40
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Dumb question..

Will this affect people who are planning to buy xuv500?

This might be the tric mahindra is playing as they have increased their production capacity & there is already a decline in sales since dec jan for this car due to various problems reported.
Not a dumb question at all.

How this recall affects the prospective buyers is predominantly a function of the buyer's own maturity and knowledge.

The smart ones would look at this as a gesture of M&M's customer focus and accountability.
Many others would feel that the vehicle has issues.

Hopefully the smart ones outnumber the others!

Last edited by SDP : 13th March 2013 at 08:45.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Not a dumb question at all.

How this recall affects the prospective buyers is predominantly a function of the buyer's own maturity and knowledge.

The smart ones would look at this as a gesture of M&M's customer focus and accountability.
Many others would feel that the vehicle has issues.

Hopefully the smart ones outnumber the others!
SDP -Cant agree with you more, its all a matter of perception. In fact, today morning, I had taken my car to India Garage for servicing and was chatting up with a Senior Gentleman (from the service center) on the same lines of quality issues ( me being a prospective XUV customer). He had told me that if you are satisfied with the car in all aspects, go ahead and if your not, then there's no point.

I've been having a relationship with Mahindra for over 5 years now and the thing that I like about them is that they listen and step in every time I had issues.Whether issues would have cropped up with a different manufacturer, I don't know. But taking accountability is the biggest thing you can do.
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 14:44   #42
BHPian

Quote:
- Power-steering fluid hose
- Front power window units (including window motors)
- Left wiper blade cover. A service advisor told BHPian Abhinavinc that the older design could cause windscreen scratches
Brakes ? Brake replacement under the carpet or is that the brake design hasn't stabilized enough to warrant it to be under the 'recall' category. Anyway it takes a lot of courage to accept a fault in our automobile sector. Kudos to you Mahindra for being courageous.

Thanks SDP for sharing the service link. I checked my VIN and apparently 2013 vehicles come with redesigned ones.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 09:23   #43
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts

Slightly off-topic, but definitely relevant.

I hope everyone is aware of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner battery concerns and how the entire fleet is grounded since early Jan'2013.

A quick glance at the following page should provide the details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_...ttery_problems

Today morning at 6:30am, there was a live webcast by Boeing where they outlined the comprehensive set of solutions that they have come up with for the battery fire problem.

The presentation used during the webcast is attached to this post. If you can spare about one and half hour, please do go through the recorded webcast available at http://787updates.newairplane.com/Certification/Webcast.

Why I am sharing this in detail, is because I loved how Boeing treats safety issues, how swiftly they redesigned the concerned systems and how comprehensive the redesign is.

A few excerpts from the webcast:
1. The safety of our products is the number ONE priority at the Boeing company.

2. We understand very deeply that we do NOT have a business and we do NOT have an industry unless it (i.e. flying) is safe.

3. One of the core System Design Objectives is to ensure that no single failure will endanger the airplane or occupants.

Also please note that, the first issue about the 787 happened on 7th January'2013 at Boston airport. Around 16-17th of January'2013, ALL 787 Dreamliners in service all over the globe were grounded and a detailed investigation in the battery problems started.

Today is 15th March 2013, so its just about 2 months. In these 2 months, Boeing was able to investigate the causes, find root causes, redesign multiple systems with multiple additional design elements and have done internal testing to verify the new design.

A very commendable effort and is a good demonstration of walking-the-talk about their commitment to safety.

----------------------------------------------
Now put that in contrast to some of the recalls that we have seen in India.
If there is confusion about how seriously customers look at safety issues related to cars, a quick peek into Nano's sales-numbers after the multiple fire incidents should clear any confusion. A bad safety reputation can literally wipe-out a car from the market. Still there was lack of ownership, attempts to push things under the carpet and then eventually a half-hearted recall.

And then we have recent Mahindra recall, where they took 6 months for investigating and redesigning a rubber-hose with metal end-caps and ANOTHER 6 months to issue the recall vaguely worded as 'fluid hose'. Compare that with the infinitely more complex redesign that Boeing has managed in 2 months.

Please note that I am not singling out Indian Manufacturers. How Toyota mis-handled the "unintended acceleration" issue and how heavily Toyota paid for it, is already a case-study at prominent business schools worldwide.

Car-manufacturers have a lot to learn from companies like Boeing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boeing-787-solution-presentation-English.pdf (785.7 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by SDP : 15th March 2013 at 09:28.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 18:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly off-topic, but definitely relevant.

I hope everyone is aware of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner battery concerns and how the entire fleet is grounded since early Jan'2013.
Reminds me of this post of mine! In that post, I had talked of the similarities whereas you have brought out the differences.

Last edited by debuda : 15th March 2013 at 18:16.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 17:23   #45
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I was at the service center today and in two and half hours saw around 5-6 vehicles being worked upon to get the power steering oil high pressure hose and/or front-window-winder motors getting replaced.

Besides the numbers, it was interesting to note that all the removed PS hoses had signs of leakage.

Last edited by SDP : 16th March 2013 at 17:44.