Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th March 2013, 22:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Ford's Endeavour helps making childbirth safer in Rural India

Quote:
Automobile makers in India may tout the rough terrain capabilities of their sports utility vehicles (SUV), Ford India's Endeavour model has been silently showcasing its performance in a hill village in Tamil Nadu where it has helped 41 pregnant women to deliver their babies safely.

"Some of the villages in the Kalvarayan Hills in Tamil Nadu are in very remote areas without any roads. So reaching an ambulance van is impossible. It was then the option of having an SUV was thought of," K.S.Sudhakar, project director at NGO Health at Hand In Hand told reporters here Thursday.

He said Ford India wanted to do a rural health project under its Sustainable Urban Mobility and Uncompromised Rural Reach (SUMURR) programme and on Tamil Nadu public health department's suggestion, it was decided to have the Ford Endeavour target the villages in the Kalvarayan Hills region, around 255 km from here.
Source + Full Article
Warwithwheels is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 23:12   #2

Default re: Ford's Endeavour helps making childbirth safer in Rural India

I always thought corporate social responsibility was more of a gimmick than anything else. This, right here, is a heart-warming example though. Props to Ford
gaurangsaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 00:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder why Ford is mum about this. They should have gone all guns blazing! I think today being Women's day would have been a good platform to boast about this; and they would have gained some brownie points too!!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 07:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I wonder why Ford is mum about this. They should have gone all guns blazing! I think today being Women's day would have been a good platform to boast about this; and they would have gained some brownie points too!!
Thats the difference between people who say and people who do. :-) Empty vessels make the most noise. And the tree laden with fruits bends down. There are companies which will make a big freaking shout to announce that they distributed some clothes among poor. And there are companies like Ford, which will not utilise this to gain brownie points.
searchingheaven is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 08:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I end up respecting Ford more for not boasting about this, but just doing what matters.

As an aside, what really matters is launching the d*mn EcoSport, but that's a discussion for another thread!
arunphilip is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 10:20   #6
BHPian

Good initiative by Ford.

By reading the title of the thread, I misunderstood that pregnant women traveling in Endeavor were bound to deliver babies quicker, given the ride quality!!!!
WhiteKnight is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 11:54   #7
BHPian

Actually Ford does a lot else besides this as community service. For example, they have adopted a primary health center near their plant and bear all costs of running the center - They have equipped the place with an ambulance, excellent facilities etc.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 12:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Thats the difference between people who say and people who do. :-) Empty vessels make the most noise....
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I end up respecting Ford more for not boasting about this, but just doing what matters...
As long as the basic intention is being carried out well, without any business gains in mind, some publicity to showcase the ability of the car would NOT do bad.

Add to it, if some needy ones come across the ad and contact Ford to extend their help?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
...By reading the title of the thread, I misunderstood that pregnant women traveling in Endeavor were bound to deliver babies quicker, given the ride quality!!!!
But I travelled in an Endeavour once recently (80K done one) and I believe the ride quality is being made out more bad than it actually is. The major trouble I found was the low seating position, otherwise I was happy with the ride quality. May be all those comments made me expect bone jarring ride which was NOT the actual case.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2013, 14:47   #9
BHPian

Appreciate Ford's initiative that is really helping the needy.

But ironically, Ford's own webpage says ---- SUMURR (Sustainable Urban Mobility with Uncompromised Rural Reach) isn’t just altruism – there’s a business rationale behind it, too. The SUMURR project offers one model of how Ford can leverage our expertise in fleet vehicles, data and financing to meet social needs and develop new markets. The project will provide a practical demonstration of the use of our vehicles by health care facilities interested in providing telemedicine services, particularly in rural or hard-to-reach areas.

Web Link Ref : http://corporate.ford.com/microsites...obility-sumurr
rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 13:16   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ford's Endeavour helps making childbirth safer in Rural India

You got to hand it to Ford; they're among the most CSR-active car companies I know of. Remember the awesome Driving Skills for Life programs - One of many threads (Ford's "Driving Skills for Life" for Bangalore BHPians. EDIT : Report Pg. 10 onward)?
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 13:43   #11
BHPian

This is a very good campaign considering a country desperately trying to reduce the Maternal mortality rate and the Infant mortality rate for its development.Good job Ford.
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 17:20   #12
BHPian

Hats off to Ford for the initiative! Now thats some serious off-roading with the endeavor! Their not publicizing this only goes to prove their noble intention. But I think they do deserve publicity for this yoeman's service.

Reminds me of a similar hummer club (name?) in the US that is into disaster relief.
veyron_head is offline   Reply With Quote