Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd December 2015, 16:09   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
You forgot the Jazz...with its 'Sunset Orange' colour. In my opinion it does seem pretty nice. A 'youthful' sort of colour.
.. and Grand i10 which was launched and marketed in orange shade!
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:46   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
The bumper does look like it's dual tone, 2nd pic clarifies that.

The orange portion is protruding ever so slightly, but the grey part is surely inside, which is looking very strange.

IMHO, not the most practical design for a bumper. In case of even a low speed rear crash, the painted part is going to take the 1st hit and the grey part will be safe. Should have been other way around to save for the re-painting costs, shouldn't it?
For me, when the second pic is zoomed the grey part looks to be outside the painted part (although very slightly).

Assuming the car's length (I believe it'll be in 3.8m or thereabouts), Mahindra shouldn't have too much of a concern with the 4m rule for the bumper extension.
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:17   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I may not be amazed if the way M & M managed the ground clearance which can be adjusted / raised up right at the dealership, there can be a add on bumper which can sit on top of the one that comes as part of standard equipment and plays the function of a proper bumper!
Agree, this flat bumper is not going to serve the intended purpose but I don't think it will impact one's buying decision, moreover M&M in all probability will be selling front & rear bull bars as an official accessory which will be a favorite with 90% of customer.
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:31   #364
BHPian

Anybody notice striking similarity in the alloy wheel design? 5 spoke vs 6 spoke?
Comparing Apples to Oranges in the shade of Orange!
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-fb_img_1448978145943-1.jpg
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-img20151201wa0022.jpg
RavSam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:53   #365
BHPian

Comparing it with the Auto rickshaw behind and the guy standing next to it, its overall size does not look like it's designers had to struggle within the 4m bracket. Looks like just another mid size hatch to me. The rear bumper should have more room to protrude.

Also as many others have pointed, why do they want it to be categorized into something it isn't

Anyways lets wait for a official word from Mahindra.
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:53   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Comparing it with the Auto rickshaw behind and the guy standing next to it, its overall size does not look like it's designers had to struggle within the 4m bracket. Looks like just another mid size hatch to me. The rear bumper should have more room to protrude.

Also as many others have pointed, why do they want it to be categorized into something it isn't

Anyways lets wait for a official word from Mahindra.
Mini SUV because, this hatchback has roof rails, plastic cladding in the sides, and some sporty exteriors, inspired from the Chevy Beat.
If the roof rails & plastic cladding were absent, it would be a normal hatchback. It is still a normal hatchback, anyway. I still do not understand why they need to tag every other hatchback as a SUV.
From the pictures, it does not seem to have an increased GC, or even high seating position. In all probability this car will be the lowest priced Mahindra offering. So, we cannot expect it to be built like a tank, and with the ability to handle off-roading with ease.
At least the Renault Kwid, even with the lowest price, and supposedly SUV inspired design, did not categorize it as Mini SUV.
Since Maruti is also working on a Mini SUV, it would be interesting to note, how the Mini SUV of Maruti turns out to be.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 09:01   #367
BHPian

Seeing the recent designs in the past few years, I get a kind of confidence that Mahindra cannot go wrong on the aesthetics front.

The mHawk 80, if plonked in, will make this a very sprightly performer . Although considering the segment this would be placed, I do think that they would not like to share the same engine which is there in their 9-10 Lakh TUV.
Old 3rd December 2015, 09:55   #368
Senior - BHPian

Very nice looking car.

I do not care about the bumpers. Nor do I care if M&M wishes to call it a tank or a mini SUV.

If it has the right amount of space, features coupled with good ride and decent pricing, I am sure it will find some takers. I am saying "some" takers because this extremely competitive segment is dominated by the Marutis and Hyundais.

All the best M&M!
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:09   #369
BHPian

Imho mahindra has a winner in their hands and this will be for sure loaded with features with reasonable pricing . Exciting times ahead for the consumers for sure . Just I pray they dont mess up the front with over the top styling .
Old 3rd December 2015, 14:45   #370
BHPian

The mini SUV looks too miniature to be called a SUV by any angle despite the black plastic cladding generously applied all over the vehicle . The wheels look pretty wimpy with respect to the tall body of the car , this may very well be a quanto in new clothes. Had high hopes from the S101 , too much of confused positioning can be seen in the market now a days.
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:51   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy View Post
The mini SUV looks too miniature to be called a SUV by any angle despite the black plastic cladding generously applied all over the vehicle . The wheels look pretty wimpy with respect to the tall body of the car , this may very well be a quanto in new clothes. Had high hopes from the S101 , too much of confused positioning can be seen in the market now a days.
Exactly my thoughts! I would love to see this as a hatchback from Mahindra stable that may be Polo/Etios/Punto Cross catagory. However, we shall wait till its official launch to see how Mahindra is planning to market it.
Old 3rd December 2015, 16:03   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Exactly my thoughts! I would love to see this as a hatchback from Mahindra stable that may be Polo/Etios/Punto Cross catagory. However, we shall wait till its official launch to see how Mahindra is planning to market it.
I do not understand how hard is it for the auto manufacturers to make something which can be called either a Hatch or a SUV , and in the name of SUV/CUV they have been selling almost anything with loads of plastic cladding , tad bit extra ground clearance and a super mark up on the sticker price which IMHO it does not deserve . They get rid of the 4th cylinder , they trim it to fit within 4 meter length , rims are a max 15 inch and GC again somewhere close to 200mm just to jack up the price and create another so-called segment to help sluggish sales.
Old 3rd December 2015, 18:08   #373
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

To me it looks just like a normal tall boy hatch back. It doesn't have the stance of even the city crossovers or city SUV's. It is more like the i20, etios liva and polo based crossovers than a min SUV.

Good Looking as a Hatch though, probably with better ground clearance.
Old 3rd December 2015, 18:13   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Good Looking as a Hatch though, probably with better ground clearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I would love to see this as a hatchback from Mahindra stable that may be Polo/Etios/Punto Cross category.
Perhaps, this could be the forerunner for a Mahindra car
Old 4th December 2015, 13:10   #375
BHPian

Rear door handle placement, overall dimensions and the design cues make it look a lot like the Chevrolet Spark aka Beat specially the side profile, sharing the front and rear looks as well for perspective. IMHO it doesn't look like any sort of UV and m&m should not term it as xuv100, it is a regular hatch which could be termed as a crossover at max nothing more.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-img20151201wa0020.jpg  

Attached Images

Closed Thread