Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2013, 12:26   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 69
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP renders the Mahindra S101 Compact SUV

Here is a speculative render from Autocar

http://motorbash.com/wp-content/uplo...1-EcoSport.jpg
Leymama is offline  
Old 19th July 2013, 13:26   #77
Newbie
 
antlerroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 17
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP renders the Mahindra S101 Compact SUV

Thanks for the feedback Achyuth. I agree with your suggestions/ observations. The clues that helped me in rendering the S101 are shown in the images below.

I have started working on the rendering of rear portion. Will upload them soon

Source for pic: Motor Vikatan


Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-s101-light-1.jpg

Name:  S101 Light 3.jpg
Views: 4776
Size:  268.8 KB

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-s101-light-4.jpg

Name:  S101 Light 2.jpg
Views: 5403
Size:  212.3 KB

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-s101-light.jpg
antlerroad is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 13:41   #78
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

@antlerroad, Thanks for that. I have some ideas for the rear of the S101.


Pics: Motor Vikatan.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-mahindras101spiedrearthreequarter.jpg  

Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 15:32   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -----****-----
Posts: 1,025
Thanked: 1,460 Times
Default

I guess its too early to comment on the front and back looks of the vehicle, as I remember, when the XUV prototypes were seen roaming around, they were fitted with round headlamps and scorpio tail lights. But the end result was nowhere close. I feel we'll come to know more about it in a few months time.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 20:31   #80
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Arrow Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I guess its too early to comment on the front and back looks of the vehicle, as I remember, when the XUV prototypes were seen roaming around, they were fitted with round headlamps and scorpio tail lights. But the end result was nowhere close. I feel we'll come to know more about it in a few months time.

No, not at all. After all, this is what all the forums do. Rendering a car gives us an idea of at least how the car will look. And that's why forums encourage spyshots of test mules for rendering and giving us an idea of how the car will look like. Agreed with the spyshots of the XUV 5oo. But every Mahindra car need not have the Scorpio, Quanto like tail lights, After all we all are car enthusiast's and discussing how a future car will look like is what we ought to do.

Sorry if I have went over the boundary, just wanted to show you what automobile oriented forums do.

OTOH, I have a strong feeling that this will be a hatch. Look at the sheer length of the thing. It looks it belong to the hatch territory. It looks way too small. The EcoSport is definitely a notch higher in length and I feel comparing the EcoSport to the S101 is foolhardy. The GC too is not in the SUV/ Mini SUV territory. Maybe Mahindra wants to experiment with a hatch. But the towing test makes compelling case of it's own. Makes me feel Mahindra wants to confuse we enthusiast's and mule snappers!. Another thing I have seen is that is the first Mahindra SUV/MUV(Bolero being an exception) to not have a D Pillar mounted headlamp. That's another thing which makes me feel this will be a hatch.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 20th July 2013 at 20:36.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline  
Old 20th July 2013, 21:39   #81
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,704
Thanked: 7,600 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
...
OTOH, I have a strong feeling that this will be a hatch. ...
Those are overcrowded highly-competitive low-margin segments. I doubt Mahindras would jump in. Compact SUV segment is HOT!

On a separate note, see how the rear-door has a straight edge (just like current generation Honda City) on the test mule? The render has a different more complicated edge. Also if the render could be done in one of the more standard M&M colors, it would be easier to relate.

Last edited by SDP : 20th July 2013 at 21:42.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 21:59   #82
BHPian
 
Achyuth Vaibhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vellore(TN,Ind)
Posts: 374
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Those are overcrowded highly-competitive low-margin segments. I doubt Mahindras would jump in. Compact SUV segment is HOT!

On a separate note, see how the rear-door has a straight edge (just like current generation Honda City) on the test mule? The render has a different more complicated edge. Also if the render could be done in one of the more standard M&M colors, it would be easier to relate.

Exactly what I wanted!. Even I referred the render and the spy pic. The door seems to be straight. My main concern on the S101 is the size. With the test mule's size belonging to the Eon territory, I'd think that they are busy in chopping spree. Also this can be the end of the road for the Quanto. The S101 and Quanto cannot be made to sit together in which both will cannibalize each other. This can be point one.

Point two: S101's size is too small to be compared with Duster/Ecosport/Terrano. The Quanto is already going down, why would anyone want a Mahindra when they can buy a far less junk vehicle. Ford,Nissan and Renault have quality levels that can easily beat a Mahindra. Also they have far more sorted out ASS, Ask any aam aadmi, he will say Mahindra= Desi Junk, why don't you buy Duster, EcoSport or Terrano?.


Cheers,

Achyuth
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline  
Old 20th July 2013, 22:21   #83
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,704
Thanked: 7,600 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
...My main concern on the S101 is the size. With the test mule's size belonging to the Eon territory, ...

Point two: S101's size is too small to be compared with Duster/Ecosport/Terrano.
I believe the size concern is misplaced. Reposting 2 pics from this thread:
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-s101.jpg
See that i20 just ahead? And i20 is a premium hatch from a size perspective.

Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted-s101-2.jpg
See the Xylo pickup version? See the height and width?

Hope that clarifies the scale. My guess is that it would be bang in the EcoSport and Duster range in terms of size.

Quote:
Ask any aam aadmi, he will say Mahindra= Desi Junk..
Now that's new. Something that I have never heard of!
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 03:14   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
The Quanto is already going down, why would anyone want a Mahindra when they can buy a far less junk vehicle.
We have not even seen a final prototype of the vehicle; forget M&M launching it and we driven it... and you already termed it as a junk?

Quote:
Ask any aam aadmi, he will say Mahindra= Desi Junk
Have been buying and driving M&Ms for the past many years, have never heard such a thing nor have I believed so.

I guess the only people who say so are those who have limited experience with M&M's cars or are too overshadowed by their pride in owning German or Japanese competitors.

M&M have churned our reliable, sturdy and VFM UVs. Off late, they have received a lot of flak and negative publicity because of the niggles in the XUV. I do agree that the car had issues in the earlier batches, but the company was willing to take corrective measures and was more than eager to help it's customers.

Quote:
why don't you buy Duster, EcoSport or Terrano?.
We dont know which price segment M&M is targeting with this vehicle. When the XUV was being readied for launch, the press and many here in this forum speculated that the vehicle would be priced at 14 Lacs (starting price) since it is a competitor to the Aria. It was launched at 10.4 Lacs.

Again, with the S101, M&M can launch it at a very very competitive price and that my friend is the reason to buy it over the above mentioned cars.

M&M is a company which is striving to improve - whether it's offering new technology or features in their cars, entering new product segments or even finding ways to improve customer service. The RM idea was an attempt to give the owners of XUV a personalized treatment at the A.S.S. Even the "With you hamesha" campaign is a step in that direction. So let's just give them some time. They are not too far off the "phoren" counterparts and I, to be honest, love their products and customer focused initiatives.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 21st July 2013 at 03:19.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 07:03   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -----****-----
Posts: 1,025
Thanked: 1,460 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post

No, not at all. After all, this is what all the forums do. Rendering a car gives us an idea of at least how the car will look. And that's why forums encourage spyshots of test mules for rendering and giving us an idea of how the car will look like. Agreed with the spyshots of the XUV 5oo. But every Mahindra car need not have the Scorpio, Quanto like tail lights, After all we all are car enthusiast's and discussing how a future car will look like is what we ought to do.

Sorry if I have went over the boundary, just wanted to show you what automobile oriented forums do.

OTOH, I have a strong feeling that this will be a hatch. Look at the sheer length of the thing. It looks it belong to the hatch territory. It looks way too small. The EcoSport is definitely a notch higher in length and I feel comparing the EcoSport to the S101 is foolhardy. The GC too is not in the SUV/ Mini SUV territory. Maybe Mahindra wants to experiment with a hatch. But the towing test makes compelling case of it's own. Makes me feel Mahindra wants to confuse we enthusiast's and mule snappers!. Another thing I have seen is that is the first Mahindra SUV/MUV(Bolero being an exception) to not have a D Pillar mounted headlamp. That's another thing which makes me feel this will be a hatch.

Cheers,

Achyuth
I never said anything against the renders of this vehicle. All I said was that it sports a round headlamp which does look like an extra / temporary fitment considering the FACT that the vehicle in question us still under development. Moreover, most of the spyshots do make me feel that this is nowhere near a hatch. The lights during the early phase of development of XUV were indeed from old generation Scorpio, that comment did not mean that the tail lamps or headlights will resemble earlier products of M&M on this one also.
As far as your comment of desi junk is concerned, that really doesn't make sense. We have big German / Czech brands selling us lemons, so this comment is pretty harsh on M&M. They have been giving us rugged SUVs long before the advent of 'videshi' companies. They do deserve a pat on their back for their commitment.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 21st July 2013 at 07:13.
BoneCollector is offline  
Old 21st July 2013, 08:04   #86
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
why would anyone want a Mahindra when they can buy a far less junk vehicle. Ford,Nissan and Renault have quality levels that can easily beat a Mahindra. Also they have far more sorted out ASS, Ask any aam aadmi, he will say Mahindra= Desi Junk, why don't you buy Duster, EcoSport or Terrano?.
I am curious, have you driven any M&M vehicle before making this comment? What cars have you driven extensively?
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 12:47   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP renders the Mahindra S101 Compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlerroad View Post
The clues that helped me in rendering the S101 are shown in the images below.

I have started working on the rendering of rear portion. Will upload them soon

Source for pic: Motor Vikatan

Attachment 1113198
Sorry to be a bummer.

A friend working in M&M said this does not look anywhere close to the actual design. So we are being misled by the prototypes...

I asked him whether the real design was as good or even better... to which he chose to remain silent!
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 13:01   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
We have big German / Czech brands selling us lemons, so this comment is pretty harsh on M&M.
This is exactly the kind of general statement we ought not to be making, as intelligent people.

Exactly which 'lemons' have these Euro blokes sold here, which they have not already sold and tested successfully in other markets? I own and drive one of these nice expensive high quality, comfy, 20 odd lakh rupee 'lemons' daily and am quite happy with it thank you very much!

If we go down that route, I will have you know that the Corolla, the SX4 and several other Japanese vehicles which are sold here in India are somewhat de-specced to beat the duties, taxes and meet the pricing criteria required in this market. And other vehicles such as the Fortuner and Captiva are sold in South East Asia at approximately 60% of the prices that they charge for the same variants in India.

By contrast the Euro cars pretty much retain their International specs here too. And their cars, especially the CKD ones, are priced very similarly to their international pricing levels. So one would not really be justified in terming them casually as 'lemons' in a dismissive or pejorative manner!

I do agree that M&M have been serving us rugged utility vehicles since Independence. That does not mean they are junk but nor are they gods gift to the motoring public. My grouse with them is that their fit, finish and finesse levels have also remained pretty much stuck in a 1980's time warp! I have a right to crib because various people in my family including myself,have put their money where their mouth is, on M&M vehicles for thirty odd years. Now I have migrated away and don't think I would like to go back!

Hence, lets avoid getting extreme and lets preserve fairness at all times.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st July 2013 at 13:14.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 13:20   #89
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,468
Thanked: 19,375 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is exactly the kind of general statement we ought not to be making, as intelligent people.

Exactly which 'lemons' have these Euro blokes sold here, which they have not already sold and tested successfully in other markets?
OT: Example is the Superb 1.8 DSG. DSG box failing multiple times on the same car is proof enough that the car were lemons from the start yet the manufacturer prefers to maintain silence on the issue.

And it's just not Skoda. We see the same with Mercedes, Audi and BMW. A quick search on the forum will show few examples of issues faced by customers who spend above 50 lakhs.
Vid6639 is offline  
Old 21st July 2013, 13:40   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

OT: Example is the Superb 1.8 DSG. DSG box failing multiple times on the same car is proof enough that the car were lemons from the start yet the manufacturer prefers to maintain silence on the issue.

And it's just not Skoda. We see the same with Mercedes, Audi and BMW. A quick search on the forum will show few examples of issues faced by customers who spend above 50 lakhs.
Not for a moment am I excusing the failures. In the same breath, are we to take it that there all other manufacturers are absolutely squeaky clean at all times, until death do us part? Because it certainly seems to be what is being implied here in general.
This the the one unfair point I am consistently observing on this forum, not only amongst the general blokes, but also from people in authority so to say.
I strongly disagree with this, specifically.
Lets be clear. It is not as if the Japanese and Koreans are completely and absolutely above board and niggle free. The same goes for the Indian companies.
This constant Euro bashing is getting a little tiresome to tell you the truth.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st July 2013 at 13:42.
shankar.balan is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCOOP PIC : Hyundai Starex MPV/H-1 Minivan spotted testing! rocky080 The Indian Car Scene 21 13th March 2017 15:35
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41) Mpower The Indian Car Scene 789 29th June 2016 16:40
Scoop Pic! *Improved* Chevrolet Tavera spotted chennai-indian The Indian Car Scene 23 1st February 2012 23:19
SCOOP PIC - Euro spec Ford Fiesta spotted testing! EDIT: New pics on pg 15 AbdulRahmanM The Indian Car Scene 334 15th February 2011 01:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks