Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th March 2013, 12:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet's losses at Rs. 1598 crores in India

Well for starters they do not seem to be interested in promoting or marketing the car , cant recall when was the last time they actually ran a sustained marketing campaign to promote it , i just dont see it being advertised anywhere. i think they have it more to have a presence in that segment but are not looking at racking up large number for it whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Why is Captiva in such a dismal state? It is a well priced and brilliantly packaged vehicle. Where is it losing out to it's competition?
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 13:21   #32
BHPian

GM woes are understandable as rightly said by our fellow bhpians, they dont seem to understand the Indian mindset nor the market conditions. Given the current Indian market, the disposable incomes have gone up and the folks who are looking to buy cars the age factor is decreasing by the day. Its important to have the right car in the right segment with the right price and the right user experience. I dont think automotive companies dont seem to understand the importance of customer satisfaction. Off late I see this change creeping in slowly with Hyundai, Maruti, HOnda. They keep a track of the last service dates etc and call the customers to remind them about their upcoming service. Offering free pickup and drop etc. Barring Hyundai, no other automotive companies have treated India on par with the global market and offered them cars which are launched globally. the other problem with GM is their pricing, which they get it wrong most of the times. Eg: Optra which was way too expensive and way almost in the mix of the next segment. The same applies to Honda who command a premium at the launch and drastically reduce the price case in point is the Jazz which was just a shade less than the entry/mid level City.
sparsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 14:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhairyasheel View Post
Compared to Chevrolet, Opel had a very good chance of making it big in India. It was German, European, and a name many in India could relate to.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
One only has to look at Hyundai to see what it takes to make it in the Indian market. Every single Hyundai model, at launch in India, has been a global model available even in developed EU markets. Hyundai chose to treat Indians at par with global customers and it has paid off.
+1

With the launch of the Sail, Chevy sent a very wrong message to the prospective Indian Car Buyer. Like many other folks pointed out, the Indian consumer who looks beyond Maruti is not looking for bland or to be taken for granted. Rather, many of them are looking for almost EU spec'ed cars. Launching the Sail is absolutely the worst decision Chevy could have done when their cars are already perceived as being korean.

Today, every manufacturer needs a well priced bread and butter B segment hatch (profits from the A segment are not significant if not sold in large numbers) & C1/C2 segment sedan combination to bring in significant numbers and thereby make profits in the indian market eg: Brio and City for Honda, Polo and Vento for Volkswagen, i10/i20 and Verna for Hyundai etc. the exception being Renault who has created a whole new compact SUV class in India with the launch of the Duster.

I equate the bad decisions that Chevy takes to the ones taken by Ford. But at least, Ford have two bread and butter offerings i.e. the B segment Figo hatchback and the now C1 segment Fiesta Classic sedan. So, despite them pretending that their new Fiesta is something from a class above, they are managing to survive and continue not to take the Indian market seriously.

Chevy's on the other hand does not even have a C2 segment sedan. Their C1 segment Aveo sedan was a complete failure. They appeared to have come on to the right track and had a good run with the Beat & Cruze for a while but let's face it, apart from it's somewhat contemporary looks, the Beat isn't a great value for money car or the most spacious or has the greatest interiors and is too overpriced for the brand and what it offers. The Cruze, well apart from it's exterior looks, it does not have all the trimmings of a D1 segment sedan save for the engine. Also, D1 segment sedan sales cannot match that of C1/C2 segment sedans. Successive over-pricing of the Cruze probably did more damage than good in the face of stiff competition and poor brand perception.

Chevy India has lost direction from a long time now and if they continue like this, it will be worse than when everyone was doubtful whether they would survive during the 2008 recession. They need to realize where the money is and offer modern and well priced products to get it. They need to develop a USP for eg: enthusiast engines like the Cruze for lesser price or something like that to be even considered seriously by some Indian car buyers.

Last edited by sydras : 16th March 2013 at 14:20.
sydras is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 01:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post
+1

With the launch of the Sail, Chevy sent a very wrong message to the prospective Indian Car Buyer. Like many other folks pointed out, the Indian consumer who looks beyond Maruti is not looking for bland or to be taken for granted. Rather, many of them are looking for almost EU spec'ed cars. Launching the Sail is absolutely the worst decision Chevy could have done when their cars are already perceived as being korean.
I think the consensus we need to come to is that, contrary to what the car manufacturers would have us believe, India is quite a mature car market. We're always treated with this 3rd-world tag which bugs me no end. We do appreciate quality (Polo, Vento, i20 all have a decent or even good time), we do appreciate VFM (Figo). I'd bet you any money that Renault selling their Twingo and Clio hatches in India would do far better than the Pulse. As for Chevrolet, well, perhaps GM should access its EU lineup (I'm getting repetitive here!) and bring us stuff like the excellent Corsa, Astra, the Zafira MUV etc. The next 5 years doesn't look too bright for them in India, it's got to be said.
carmayogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 08:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Chevy's only good decision in recent times was the pricing of sedan Chevy SAIL, but they got the pricing and styling totally wrong. They tried to refresh Spark and had a chance to move the console from center to behind steering but they neglected it. They seem like being deaf to buyer's voice and after Karl Sym quit have totally gone clueless.
As carmayogi has said European lineups had to be launched instead of Chinese and Korean versions but they are not serious in their strategy, what a state of dilemma for them to produce low volume cars like Spark, Beat petrol, Sail. They had access to the designs of Daewoo and Opel but chose not to provide service support and push Chevy brand in India just like Fiat deserted Palio. The future looks bleak for them and uncertain now for new GM car buyers.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 08:54   #36
BHPian

Sorry for the one liner but couldn't resist the value 1598 which is akin to the 2 cc less to 1600CC in most sedans
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 09:47   #37
BHPian

Is this is the beginning of the end? A 1600 crore loss is colossal.

GM surely needs well rounded products at decent prices to compete with the rest at the same time, listen to customer feedback as well.

They hit bull's eye with the Cruze when it was launched and didn't provide it with a makeover when the time was right. Now, compare the time when it was newly launched to now? How many copies do we see selling these days?

Also, the plasticky interiors of the Cruze are a well known fact. Haven't seen anything happen in this regard.

The Sail twins aren't exactly lookers neither have they been conveniently priced for what they offer.

Chevy really looks perplexed at the moment.

-Shivang Gandotra
MetalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 16:36   #38

I would like to share my experience with Chevrolet brand when I was looking to buy a new sedan. I went to one of their showrooms in Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore and I was checking out chevrolet Aveo and Cruze. After impatiently explaining some features of the car, the salesman asked what was my budget.

When I said it was below 10 lakhs, he said, "why don't you go for Etios?," it suits your budget!" I quickly looked over my shoulder to see if I was in a Toyota showroom. No, it was a chevrolet showroom alright, and I was getting this piece of wisdom from a chevrolet salesman!

The salesman was hell bent on dissuading me from buying this car and he claimed that an ordinary service (Aveo) will cost me 10k. Now, either this guy had a thing or two to settle with Chevrolet or he was an ex-employee of Toyota!

They didn't offer even a test drive and although they had Aveo, which was well within my budget, they were not pushing that car. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Chevy is not doing as well as it was supposed to.

P.S: I bought Mahindra Verito and after nearly 1.5 years of ownership, terribly happy with my decision!
shanbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 19:04   #39
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2013 at 11:30.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 18th March 2013, 14:36   #40
BHPian

Found this on Rediff a while ago, GM launching a new CHEAPER diesel variant of Sail:

http://www.rediff.com/business/slide...h/20130318.htm

First the price cut and then this variant. Why couldn't they have done these when they launched it?

Last edited by veyron_head : 18th March 2013 at 14:38.
veyron_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 22:33   #41
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet's losses at Rs. 1598 crores in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Found this on Rediff a while ago, GM launching a new CHEAPER diesel variant of Sail:

http://www.rediff.com/business/slide...h/20130318.htm

First the price cut and then this variant. Why couldn't they have done these when they launched it?
+1 Hormazd Sorabjee, editor of Autocar India was quoted as saying in the ET. “GM has compromised its brand by frequent price cuts over the last few years.”
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 12:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Suppose GM is wasting time in India with their poor launches & lack strategy. Ideal case of a headless chicken. GM did have a good opportunity when they were to launch their SAIL Sedan. They should have released the Sedan variant and then released the hatch back which would have given a good idea. The sedan is actually a good car and is competitively priced vis-a-vis Dzire. Dzire is priced extensively for a car of its size and its features. Apart from the Maruti Badge am sure it would have been dull dud.

Way forward for GM, launch a few premium cars to set their brand image right. Ensure they price their cars accordingly. They need to decide on how they would want to position themselves as a Premium Car Manufacturer or as a VFM like TATA.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 14:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet is not an aspirational brand at all. They should have badged them as Daewoo's. Daewoo was more popular. Until its closure, Matiz was doing very well.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 20:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Chevrolet's losses at Rs. 1598 crores in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
The diesel model of Beat is agr8 city car but lacks the grunt to go on highways. Do not understand this logic behind not launching our national diesel when GM & Fiat have collectively developed it. If Tata's can seel their taxi brand cars with this engine, definitely GM could have done a much better job with some good looking cars.
1) I believe the Beat Diesel runs on 1 L FIAT MJD. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

2) By choosing 1L instead of 1.3L, they have created a new market segment. It's always easier for a non market leader to create a new segment than to be the best among a highly competitive segment. Many of my friends who go for Beat diesel are people who start with the plan of buying a Petrol hatch. Since, beat is priced close to Petrol hatches, and still gives amazing fuel efficiency on Diesel, people go for it. The beat should continue to have a market on its own till Maruti plonks this 1L engine on its smaller cars.

3) If at all, they plan to use 1.3L MJD, it should be on a bigger car. Beat is too small and that will hurt them badly since, they already are not known to have brand value.

Regarding their other cars, the Cruze is fantastic.
And Optra was superb value for money. But, for some reason, it never kicked off. We in India, need some gimmicks for the car to sell.
The Tavera doesn't have a worthy competitor after Qualis was stopped. But, they are still not using that opportunity to come up with a more aggressive design.

Last edited by amalji : 21st March 2013 at 20:43.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 21:44   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The beat should continue to have a market on its own till Maruti plonks this 1L engine on its smaller cars.
Do you think Maruti has the know-how to produce a 1L diesel engine? And do you think GM or Fiat will sell them one?

The Beat is a very good diesel hatch and does sell in decent numbers. The only problem GM faces is that there are too many competitors in that segment.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote